ACGME Status for Former DO programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilyhopeless

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Please answer my questions about the ACGME status! A couple of my favourite programs that I have interviewed have received initial accreditation status. But they have been at those stages for the past 3 years. Is it something I should be worried about?

Also, one of the programs has initial accreditation with warning. What does it mean and is it in danger of losing accreditation? I really really like this program but if it is risky, I will reluctantly rank other programs first.

Recap: Are programs that have initial accreditation status in a row a risky program? As well, what to make of initial accreditation with warning?

Members don't see this ad.

Would drop the warning down to the bottom of the list. The other initial accreditation are probably fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Follow up question: if a program is under warning and loses accreditation do the categorical residents receive orphan status?

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow up question: if a program is under warning and loses accreditation do the categorical residents receive orphan status?
After what happened at Hahnemann hospital I no longer think ACGME will do anything to help a resident when accreditation is lost. Those guys are having to buy their own tail coverage. Hence why I think any sort of program with issue should be moved to the bottom of the list.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

Please answer my questions about the ACGME status! A couple of my favourite programs that I have interviewed have received initial accreditation status. But they have been at those stages for the past 3 years. Is it something I should be worried about?

Also, one of the programs has initial accreditation with warning. What does it mean and is it in danger of losing accreditation? I really really like this program but if it is risky, I will reluctantly rank other programs first.

Recap: Are programs that have initial accreditation status in a row a risky program? As well, what to make of initial accreditation with warning?

Initial accreditation is accreditation. Every ACGME accredited former AOA program will be initially accredited for like years. That's literally the most accredited those programs could be right now. As for the warning, yeah a warning is not as bad as probation, but it is meaningful and it might be worth it to rank that program a bit lower.

After what happened at Hahnemann hospital I no longer think ACGME will do anything to help a resident when accreditation is lost. Those guys are having to buy their own tail coverage. Hence why I think any sort of program with issue should be moved to the bottom of the list.

Not until Feb 10th... but yeah protection is limited.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys,

I would certainly rank any residency program with a warning (or on probation) low/last in your rank list. The problem is, if you are a resident in a program which loses ACGME accreditation., there is no guarantee that displaced resident status will do anything for you. For example. in the Rocky Vista OPTI, there are a number of residency programs which are not funded by medicare $'s, so you hypothetically cannot take any funding with you if your program loses accreditation while you are a resident in it.

The only people who have any protection are those residents in an older program which has medicare funding. And if you are one of the unlucky ones in a newer program which fails without medicare funding (i.e., they get state funding, etc. instead), you will have to interview, and most likely, participate in the match again which is both expensive and not any fun.

(At least the residents in the closed Hahnemann programs had transferrable medicare funding to take with them, but they are still dealing with a number of other liability issues even if another program took them shortly after the Hahnemann closing.)

Reactions: 2 users