Former AOA programs for General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billroth_III

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Soon to be 3rd year looking to pursue surgery still as of now.

I have a list of the 40+ former DO programs but was wondering if anyone knew which programs were audition heavy and which programs anyone would recommend/avoid?

Hopefully this post isn't too broad but all of you beautiful people of SDN have really helped me out a lot over the years even before I had a username on here as a pre-med.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
avoid ascension genesys like the plague

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any specific reason(s). I have an audition offer that I need to decide on
It's incredibly malignant and treats their residents/students like garbage. I have multiple friends who have auditioned there and who are base students there. Just cancel it, and choose almost any other audition in michigan if you can.

Ascension is indeed rumored to be terribly malignant. Unfortunately it’s also one of the better DO programs.

Ascension is indeed rumored to be terribly malignant. Unfortunately it’s also one of the better DO programs.
You have to be very specific. There are a lot of ascension programs in Michigan. Ascension Genesys in Grand Blanc is a former DO program that is terribly Malignant. Ascension Macomb-Oakland is another DO program that is very good and not malignant. There is also Ascension Providence and Ascension St John in detroit that aren't malignant either.

Is this true for their ortho program too or just gen surgery?

You have to be very specific. There are a lot of ascension programs in Michigan. Ascension Genesys in Grand Blanc is a former DO program that is terribly Malignant. Ascension Macomb-Oakland is another DO program that is very good and not malignant. There is also Ascension Providence and Ascension St John in detroit that aren't malignant either.
I’m talking specifically Genesys. Macomb-Oakland is ok. Providence and St. John are solid programs, but neither are DO.

Can’t comment specifically on this instance but usually these things are isolated to the respective programs.

Anyone know which programs are less board score heavy and more into auditions? Still waiting to take my exams but preparing for the worst.

• Haha
Anyone know which programs are less board score heavy and more into auditions? Still waiting to take my exams but preparing for the worst.
Traditionally most DO programs are going to focus on the audition. The board scores just get you a foot in the door.

Their ortho program is so malignant they had a 2nd year resident quit. They also had to SOAP last year. Not uncommon for residents to work 120 hour weeks.

What are your stats? What are you looking for? Heavy trauma? Scopes and bariatric all day till you die? Research and that kind of junk so you can finally fellowship into plastics like you always dreamed as a premed?

What are your stats? What are you looking for? Heavy trauma? Scopes and bariatric all day till you die? Research and that kind of junk so you can finally fellowship into plastics like you always dreamed as a premed?
Stats are pending so I'm slightly premature with this post, I know my best chance with matching general surgery will likely be the former DO residencies or lower tier community MD since I have never been a rockstar student, so trying to set my expectations low.

I'm on 4 research projects right now which I'm hoping will give me a boost.

I'm shooting for 230+ / 550+. I'm at 65-70% and around the 61th percentile on my 2nd UWorld pass and that's all I have to go off of right now. Will take some full lengths in the next couple weeks since my test is 1.5 months out and I'm sure it will kick me in the nuts and give me a motivation boost.

And fellowships?!? YEahhhHHH MaNg! I'm looking at being the next PGY-13 craniofacial plastic pediatric neuro-oncological spinal surgeon!!!

I tease, but I'm open to pursuing CT, critical care or vascular fellowships one day since they sorta interest me but that's way down the road.

Stats are pending so I'm slightly premature with this post, I know my best chance with matching general surgery will likely be the former DO residencies or lower tier community MD since I have never been a rockstar student, so trying to set my expectations low.

I'm on 4 research projects right now which I'm hoping will give me a boost.

I'm shooting for 230+ / 550+. I'm at 65-70% and around the 61th percentile on my 2nd UWorld pass and that's all I have to go off of right now. Will take some full lengths in the next couple weeks since my test is 1.5 months out and I'm sure it will kick me in the nuts and give me a motivation boost.

And fellowships?!? YEahhhHHH MaNg! I'm looking at being the next PGY-13 craniofacial plastic pediatric neuro-oncological spinal surgeon!!!

I tease, but I'm open to pursuing CT, critical care or vascular fellowships one day since they sorta interest me but that's way down the road.
Pump those breaks cowboy.
Focus on Step 1, Lv1.