Accepted? Living arrangements...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artizzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So you're going to PT school in the Fall -- who are you living with?

I'm set on living in a two bedroom house/apartment, but I'm not so sure who that other person should be. It could be a friend from undergrad (not in the program, he would be working full time), stranger from craigslist, or fellow classmate from the program.

What are your thoughts and plans?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm going to be living at home commuting for the first year, and hopefully living at an apartment with someone i meet for my second year. personally, i'd love to live with someone focused on school, that way, both our priorities match up.

I would say choose your friend if he/she knows not to bother you when you're studying or even someone from your class so that way you both are focused. I wouldn't choose a CL because there are so many reasons not to. They could be a crazed serial killer.

In my situation I am living at home and commuting simply to save money, since tuition for school is high enough. I do not want to add to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even with the money issue in mind, there is simply no way I could live at home while in the program. I would not do justice to my studies and feel it would hurt my education/career in both the long and short-run.

I will be living in an apartment just off campus with my girflriend who will be starting a PA program at the same school.

I will be closing on a house with my husband about two weeks into my first semester next month, so I will obviously be living there. It is only 10-15minutes from campus.

For your situation though, if you really want to live with someone, I would suggest your friend. You probably already have a good idea of what it would be like to live with them, and you know if it would be a good situation or not. If you can get to know and live with someone from your program though, that's not a bad idea either. I wouldn't even consider a complete stranger though. If you do consider rooming with someone from your program, you may try contacting someone at the school or in the program to see if they have something already set up for other people like you. Sometimes there is a website of some sort where people can seek/find roommates with the program or school.

Gonna go back home and live with my mom. Free rent, food, etc. will be sweet! Plus I love my mom. :)

No way would I recommend living with complete strangers. I've gone down that route... horrible experience. You might catch a surprise that is unwanted. With PT school on the line I wouldn't do it. I usually get along pretty good with just about anyone. Didn't happen at all. If I didn't leave where I was staying my education would have been severely compromised. If you're going to do it make sure you get someone that is busting his butt right along with you so the priorities are straight. I plan on taking my girlfriend along and sharing a place with her. If this doesn't happen for one reason or another I will get a place by myself and take out more loans to cover the costs. I'm getting to old to be dealing with the juvenile mentalities and the BS drama that comes with it.

Okay guys, from the responses it seems like living with or taking candy from strangers is a bad idea. I'll most likely find a friend who will be working full-time and understands the commitments of PT or any grad school. If that doesn't work out, then finding someone from the program and finally if all that fails, I'll follow lee9786's plan and live alone. Good thing Sacramento doesn't have the highest rent in the world.

I think there are a few on this board that are going to CSU Sac. I have met a few students there and they all seem like decent people. I would just room with someone from the program if that was a choice.