Opinions about living situations. First year DPT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spaceball1

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending D'Youville's DPT program starting this June. However, I've never lived on my own before.
They offer townhomes on campus but I would have to pay an outrageous amount of money to live there at least over the summer. I'd rather not do that right off the bat. There are dozens of apartment complexes in the area that are cheaper but many of them are 10-25 minutes away from the school. Problem is, with the rigor of a DPT program I don't want to spend too much time in the car everyday that could otherwise be spend studying, for example. What would you guys suggest? Is it totally necessary to live right at school and just eat the cost for now, or will living a 10-25 minutes away still be ok? Aka what works best for you?

Also, I would prefer to live alone but I'm not against finding a roommate within the program either. It just might be tricky to find one right away. What do you think about that? I'm just curious to see what some of you did for living arrangements your first year.

Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion 10-25 minutes is a good commute and about as good as it gets in most cities. If you were talking 1-2 hours, which some of my classmates had, that'd be a different story. There are always ways to make it as short as possible...i.e. avoiding rush hour and being familiar with alternate routes.

I'd get the shortest lease possible to live by myself. During your first year (or however long) try to find a roommate.

My commute to school is 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. At times it is a pain, but most of the time having some decompression time on the drive home is nice. It gives me a chance to clear my head.

I live about a 5 minutes drive from my school, but I walk so it takes me 15-20 minutes. I definitely don't think that's a ridiculous amount of time to not be studying! Of course if it's technically a 10-25 minutes drive but when you're heading there during rush hour it's more like 45 to an hour then that's a whole nother story!