ACCEPTANCE in UST MED SCHOOL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Frink and Rhea,

you mentioned that you'll be arriving in May, what about the physical examination that needs to be done prior to the end of April? Do you know if we can have our examination papers cleared by having it done here in the U.S.?
I wasn't planning on arriving until May either, but this definitely may have have me arriving earlier :)

Members don't see this ad.

Glendale, my "aunt" who is helping us out in Manila said something about trying to get it postponed until May. I'll ask about either postponement or getting it done here and post back when I find out anything.

Cool thanks for the info :)
Right now I'm trying to weigh in the advantages and disadvantages going to UST or UERM for a student that wants to be able to get a residency in the States. I have two friends that graduated from UST and are now doing their residency in Hawaii. I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is being able to have clincal rotations in the United States vs perhaps having a slightly better educational foundation. = /

In the end...maybe it really just depends on the student and how much they put in the work to studying for the USMLE ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Frink and Rhea,

you mentioned that you'll be arriving in May, what about the physical examination that needs to be done prior to the end of April? Do you know if we can have our examination papers cleared by having it done here in the U.S.?
I wasn't planning on arriving until May either, but this definitely may have have me arriving earlier :)

They are pretty flexible. The health service (which is NOT exclusive to students) is usually the 'bottle neck'...besides, you have to go to the clinical lab at STUH (pay hospital) get a container for the sample for fecalysis, have blood drawn for standard indices, have a chest x-ray (PA & Lat), have your PE, and probably get any of the recommended vaccinations (try to bring with you any records you may have).

When I was entering UST, I arrived well in advance (April) to get everything settled. I was settled in my condo/apt by May, and was ready for school when it started in June. Remember, it sort of takes a LONG time to get some things done here in the RP. The whole student-VISA thing is ANOTHER STORY! This is off-topic BUT, if you qualify for dual-citizenship, consider acquiring RP citizenship so you WON'T have to do any student-VISAs (renewed TWICE a YEAR!).

Best of Luck!

Thank you for the info ustanonymous!

I emailed them about delaying the physical examination yesterday. I received a reply yet. I'll post something when I do get an answer.

RED J BLDG.

1139 Dos Castillas St., Sampaloc, Manila

(Dos Castillas- street after Lacson/Forbes, near UST Hospital; Mcdo/Bench Fix Salon side)

4th floor

1 bedroom
sala
1 toilet & bath
sink

P3750/month rent exclusive of electricity, water, and wi-fi.
Maximum of 4 tenants, already has 2, in need of 2 more.

Please contact Me-an at 09228860716.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!! :cool: ;) :D

Read more: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/v...+2+female+UST+student+roommates#ixzz0jhvsc3o5

Hello. Just wanted to let guys know that I spoke to the secretary at UST and she told me that I can do my physical exam in May when I arrive. My aunt has also gone to the office and paid my reservation and confirmed this information as well. Also, I was told that those who took the NMAT in L.A. were exempt from the entrance exam. Hope this helps. See you guys in May/June!!!

rhea, thanks for the info! i actually got word from an aunt who's there also the same information about deferring the exam until may. Apparently it's a basic physical, and blood testing also, should take an hour.

didn't know about the entrance exam exemption...if I did, I wouldn't have stressed out so much over not taking it, ha.

Thanks for the updates Frink and Rhea =)
I'm still contemplating if I should go there early anyway to try
to find a place to get settled in. If I find a place worth mentioning,
I'll let you know =)

what is usually done for the physical exam in ust?

rhea, that place looks nice...will have to check it out when I get there

tornicia, as far as i know, its a standard physical exam, vitals, reflexes, breathing/heart sounds, etc. with a blood test and im assuming some immunizations also.

have you guys thought about what you're going to bring? i'm going to get a list together soon and could use some suggestions, don't want to overlook something.

have you guys thought about what you're going to bring? i'm going to get a list together soon and could use some suggestions, don't want to overlook something.

Bring a laptop (get a printer here 220V). Anything electronic e.g. iPods, cell phones etc are MUCH more expensive here as the whole concept of "discounted" ORIGINAL (not fake) items really hasn't caught on in this country. One of my most useful items was my "in-ear" sound isolating earphones (as you will notice that students here are much LOUDER & chatty than they are in the USA...).

Also, bring a good-quality LAPTOP LOCK. We all know LOTS of people who had their laptops stolen, especially amongst the clerks (in the hospital and out patient clinics).

As a 1st-yr, you don't really need a complete medical bag; just borrow from the upper-years. If you want buy a cheap stet and sphygmo here (that you won't really miss if it gets stolen...).

If you happen to be a Mac-user, BRING ANYTHING Mac-related that you might need b/c anything for Macs here, is SUPER-EXPENSIVE!

If you bring a cell phone make sure it is GSM (quad-band is best) and better if it is UNLOCKED so you can just pop in a SIM from a local carrier. If its not unlocked, if its a 'mainstream' model, you can have it unlocked here for about P500 or less...

Don't bring ANY medical books or reviewers (unless it is a specific title that is NOT available in the RP) as books are CHEAP here compared to the medical books in the USA.

You don't need to bring a big wardrobe, as your NEW wardrobe is going to be a custom-made white uniform consisting of a 'polo' (its what they call the 'shirt' part, which for 1st/2nd yr students has a collar), and white pants. (Women wear blouse & skirt). Black DRESS-shoes are also required. DO REMEMBER to ORDER your uniforms in time for the start of classes (the secretary at the Dean's office will give you the information).

Everything else, you can buy here... The only thing I regret NOT bringing (at least during the floods last year, including Ondoy last Sept.) was 'hip-waders' that people use while fly-fishing back home...I could have also used a canoe or inflatable boat :D

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that my Auntie reserved a room for me at North Forbes Dormitory. It is on the Dapitan side of UST and just a few steps from the gates of the campus. Super close to the medical building. The rent is 11K a month for a room with toilet and shower. No cooking is allowed. But you can have a microwave, toaster oven, and a rice cooker. Google North Forbes Dormitory and a few people have blogged pictures of the place.

Also, the itower Manila will not be ready until August.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

ustanonymous, thanks for that. wondering, did you carry your ipod/cell phone on you at all times? Everyone has told me that walking around with my ipod/iphone (its unlocked) in full view is asking to get mugged (in the area around/outside of campus). Any experiences?

Rhea, nice! my aunt got back to me today also and said she found a place, 45 sq m, a few minute walk from the medical buildings. But, its on the 4th floor of a 6 story condo building and no elevators. Don't know how I feel about that yet.

ustanonymous, thanks for that. wondering, did you carry your ipod/cell phone on you at all times? Everyone has told me that walking around with my ipod/iphone (its unlocked) in full view is asking to get mugged (in the area around/outside of campus). Any experiences?

Rhea, nice! my aunt got back to me today also and said she found a place, 45 sq m, a few minute walk from the medical buildings. But, its on the 4th floor of a 6 story condo building and no elevators. Don't know how I feel about that yet.

Experiences...too numerous to list. BUT, yes, invitation to be mugged or worse may be true. I was always tempted to use my iPod and the in-ear sound-isolating headphones because everything is SO LOUD here, and the classmates are so chatty AND LOUD...you know what i am talking about if you have ever been to a shopping mall in the RP. But since my courier-bag got stolen last year while I was seeing a patient in the out-patient department along with my iPod, I have not enjoyed the luxury...

My cell phone, during ALL of medical school ONLY got stolen ONCE (pick-pocket on the LRT 1, on my 30th day in Manila...) and YES, we tend to keep our cell phones "on us" at all times...you'll see how much people TEXT here...My advice is get a "clip-on the belt" case and keep it on the anterior area (of your waist) where you'll notice if someone tries to take it...:rolleyes: (BTW, one-time stolen wasn't that bad...I had a classmate who in two years either 'lost' or had a cell phone stolen about SEVEN times!).

CORRECTION: I had TWO cell phones stolen...the 2nd happened when some jologs unzipped my bag, and stole it; I was riding in the back of an FX after a 31-hr duty during clerkship and was intermittently dozing off in the traffic on Taft... And that was also at the time I was using two cell phones b/c I needed to have both SUN and Globe...so, anyway...TWICE...for stolen cell phones.

The other thing related to SAFETY ISSUES....you know that "iTower" new building that has a hot-link posted in this thread? A (male) UST student (I think from Rehab Sci, but definitely not Med) was SHOT and KILLED on the sidewalk across from 'iTower' (UST fence-side of P. Noval) in 2007 when he was robbed and he refused to give up his backpack. May that unfortunate victim rest-in-peace, he is not forgotten...even though the 'shrine' and candles haven't been at the site for a while now...SO, just be aware!

Last edited:
Experiences...too numerous to list. BUT, yes, invitation to be mugged or worse may be true. I was always tempted to use my iPod and the in-ear sound-isolating headphones because everything is SO LOUD here, and the classmates are so chatty AND LOUD...you know what i am talking about if you have ever been to a shopping mall in the RP. But since my courier-bag got stolen last year while I was seeing a patient in the out-patient department along with my iPod, I have not enjoyed the luxury...

My cell phone, during ALL of medical school ONLY got stolen ONCE (pick-pocket on the LRT 1, on my 30th day in Manila...) and YES, we tend to keep our cell phones "on us" at all times...you'll see how much people TEXT here...My advice is get a "clip-on the belt" case and keep it on the anterior area (of your waist) where you'll notice if someone tries to take it...:rolleyes: (BTW, one-time stolen wasn't that bad...I had a classmate who in two years either 'lost' or had a cell phone stolen about SEVEN times!).

The other thing related to SAFETY ISSUES....you know that "iTower" new building that has a hot-link posted in this thread? A (male) UST student (I think from Rehab Sci, but definitely not Med) was SHOT and KILLED on the sidewalk across from 'iTower' (UST fence-side of P. Noval) in 2007 when he was robbed and he refused to give up his backpack. May that unfortunate victim rest-in-peace, he is not forgotten...even though the 'shrine' and candles haven't been at the site for a while now...SO, just be aware!

thank you, that's both disheartening and kinda scary. i like to listen to my ipod while walking to/from class or just walking around, but i guess that's out. I always keep my wallet and phone in my front pockets so hopefully that would be enough to not get pickpocketed.

the campus itself has guards and is safe though correct? at least, that's what i've heard. I can handle being aware of my surroundings and not getting into those kinds of situations, so hopefully i dont have those "experiences".

the campus itself has guards and is safe though correct?

Yeah - UST is a gated campus. All pedestrian & vehicular access is supposed to be controlled.

With that in mind, I wonder why all of that security DID NOT STOP the "loss" of laptops, and other valuable, personal items, and useless items (to anyone but the owner...) from being stolen in both the 'pay' hospital and clinical division...

I also pondered as to "how" exactly the campus BANK got robbed this past year (robbers took off in a vehicle - as in entered campus and exited campus...). :eek:

rhea, that place looks nice...will have to check it out when I get there

tornicia, as far as i know, its a standard physical exam, vitals, reflexes, breathing/heart sounds, etc. with a blood test and im assuming some immunizations also.

Thanks! there are no embarrassing examinations included? and it's one on one ryt? :)

Hey Florence! Grats on being part of the incoming 1st year med class =)
I have my physical scheduled for next month...why was it 'sorta' easy lol
Do you know if it's possible to get any of the tests done over here in the states
while I wait, so that I don't have to have them redone in the Philippines all over again?