Acceptance, finally... Anyone going to KCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duke

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I have finally been accepted to an Osteopathic program.. It was a lot of hard work, financial insanity,late nights at Kinko's, eons at the computer and flights to far away places. I am finally headed to Kirksville (pending the AOA's decision on what to do with the student numbers @TUCOM).
Although it's in the middle of nowhere (I'm from California), I loved the school.. The programs are really good there and I can't wait to go.(Not forward to the insane amounts of work, but happy nonetheless.) I was wondering if anyone is heading out to KCOM, or needs encouragement in applying to a DO program..I have stories...
I was told by my academic counselor to give up being a physician. Up to that time, I had a 2.5 or so GPA (I failed two classes and got C's in General Chemistry. If you have the time take them over i did!) in my fifth semester.This is hardly the GPA of a potential physician, but I told my advisor this is what I wanted to do. Of course looking at my grades, he said the right thing, but I was determined to prove to myself and no one else that I could do it.
In the beginning, I didn't want to go to school. I never studied in high school and barely got into a University with a 2.82 GPA. I was actually forced by my parents to go to college. I wanted to pine my time away at the local community college just so I could hang out and skate. But I eventually realized (In my fifth semester!)that I had to find something that I wanted to do.I first changed my major and then I decided to volunteer at the local hospital to see if I would like the medical field. If I was inspired to do anything important in life, it was volunteering and of course going to school. After I made my decision, I hit the books like crazy and made several good friends to study with me. After the fifth semester, I started getting the grades I never thought I was capable of.. While I did school, decided to tutor and help students that felt the way I used to about school. Then I started studying for the MCAT. I choked the first time (April 1996)(Can you believe that I filled in the wrong bubbles in Physical Sciences, and I found out about 30 seconds before time?) I got a 26... I decided to keep going, I decided to become a Resident Advisor at my school to get some experience with leadership and interaction skills. But being an RA got me kicked out of research. The professor said I was spending too much time being an RA. Then I decided to try the MCAT again the following year.(April 97) I did better, 28 , but my girlfriend at the time dumped me that same night.Somehow, I kept going and managed to graduate with a BA. It took me six years. When it came time to apply, I tried to do it by myself while working full time. I had a hard time getting my letters of recommendation from the professors, (START YOUR APPLICATION EARLY!!) and sent my applications around Dec. 1997, I applied to about nine schools. Only got one interview, and was put on the waiting list. During that time a girl I was seeing, dumped me because she thought I was going to move away and she didn't want a relationship that bad. Then soon afterwards, I was rejected for 1998. Oh the irony..
During the past year, I decided to enroll in an EMT course to get more clinical experience. It was an awesome learning experience. I was able to see so much more compared to what I saw as a volunteer. I even had the opportunity to perform CPR on a patient. I also got to see the process of extrication of a patient from a vehicle to surgery in the trauma room.
I decided to apply to DO schools again. Of course, I sent them out earlier this time. I got three interviews, two put me on the waiting list right away, ( I almost cried when I didn't get in to the first school.) Then I finally got an invitation to interview at KCOM. But when I got to Kansas City, the flights to Kiksville were cancelled the day before my interview!! In desperation, I tried to find a way to KCOM but there was no way I was going to make it. Finally the part owner of Redwing Airways, the guys who fly to Kirksville, drove all the way to Kansas City (3 1/2 hours) to pick me up. Well I made it the night before the interview and had the chance to talk to a lot of students. It was encouraging, and the interview went so well.. It was unlike my other interviews (A student interviewer in one of my other interviews decided to ask me what I thought about Dr. Kevorkian's decision to air the death of one of his patients on 60 Minutes. I thought my honest opinion were sufficient, but he kept asking me to relate on the topic.) I was exahusted after my first two interviews. My interview at KCOM was pleasant, and i was very pleased with my interview. I did my best. Finally, I found out today that I was accepted.
It's still hard to believe that I actually made it. All those late nights, the pain, and frustration paid off with one phone call and the words "Congratulations, you have been accepted."

Now it's time to start all over again.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Sounds like you have worked very hard and I admire your persistence. This is my second year of applying also. I applied to about 15 schools my first and did not get any interviews. Just tons of rejection letters. That was really hard to take. You feel like all your hard work has come to nothing! Well, this year I have had one interview(UNECOM) and am expecting to hear shortly whether I made it in. I only applied to one school this year as I have had a lot of upheavel in my life moving recently from Texas to Vermont. So, if I don't get in I'll be doing this all again. Third times a charm right?

I really like to hear encouraging stories like yours. Good luck to you at Kirksville!

congratulations. I was just wondering what you ment by your comment about the AOA and TUCOM. Are there still problems in the eyes of the AOA and would you consider going to TUCOM over KCOM. just very curious.

again, good luck with everything.

------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
Duke,
Congratulations!!! I will be joining you at KCOM in the fall. I am really excited and can't wait.
I am glad you had the chance to take the EMT class. My route to DO school is a little different than yours but I also took longer than normal to get my BA(I graduate in may and it has taken 8 yrs.).
I went to the University of Nebraska for 3 years after highschool and played the whole time until one day for an unknown reason I took an EMT class. Taking that class lad me to leave school persue a career as an EMT and then a Paramedic. It was only after 3 years of EMS that I finally realized what I wanted in my life and that was to become a doctor. I think any eperience with EMS will be a great help in getting started in med school.

Duke,

Thanks for sharing such a great story with us, and I wish you a heartfelt congratulations on acheiving your dream. I think your experiences have made you a stronger person, and you must truly know the meaning of determination and resolve. Now you can relax, you've made it! Good luck at Kirksville, it is a very good school. By the way, what part of California are you from? I'm from the SF Bay Area.

Congrats again,

EDGAR

Congratalutions Duke on your acceptance. That's exactly how I felt when I heard from KCOM a year ago. Thanks for sharing your story with us. You'll like it here. Looking forward to seeing you next year.
KCOM 2002

Congratulations Duke.

It is uplifting to hear your story. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

I live in Santa Monica, and also have been accepted to KCOM. I was captivated by the students and faculty like you. I honestly think that unless you have visited Kirksville, you can only talk about the place with respect but a limited understanding of what the place is really like.

Leaving Cali is ...... a rather interesting proposition ??? KCOM also took a risk by accepting me. My #s were not steller either. What is your situation with TUCOM. Dr. Haight, the admissions dir. is helpful. Depending on your situation, call and ask to speak to him directly. But beware, San Francisco may not be the best place to attend right now ( I think.)

On a personal note, I formally withdrew all my outstanding applications except for COMP. If I am not accepted I will very happily go to KCOM in August. I hope I am fortunate enough to choose though. KCOM or COMP is a hard one. Los Angeles or Kirksville is also a surprisingly tough choice.

Congrats again. KCOM is an awesome osteopathic medical school.

------------------

hey guys,
I didn't apply to KCOM but they sent me a postcard like brochure with a return postcard today. I just want to know, should I even bother requesting my AACOMAS stuff to be sent to KCOM?(since it's so late in the applic process) I am still waiting for replies from the schools that I have applied to.

DJ

Dear DJ,
It might be too late to apply to KCOM for this year. I suggest that you save your money (the secondary) and wait out your chances at other schools. I think that the application deadline is at the end of January or the beginning of February. I'm sure you'll get in to your other schools so good luck..
Duke