Accept DO or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chexxr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So I have been accepted to a DO school and I was happy to go to a DO school, but as the school year gets closer, I am having my doubts about osteopathic medicine, mainly OMM. The more I think about it, the more I think I might be miserable in OMM class and the dread of others asking "what is DO?" and "what medical school is that?" I wished I had applied to more MD schools... I only applied to my state school in Colorado and was rejected. Now, I know that I should have thought more about osteopathic medicine/OMM before applying DO, and I admit I was foolish, but I can't change my mistakes. :( My stats are low for MD schools (503 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, 3.6 sGPA).

Would it be the biggest mistake to reapply next cycle after re-taking the MCAT, knowing I will have to burn bridges with all DO schools? How do MD schools view MCAT re-takes?

Thank you, I am not trying to start a flame war. I just want advice/thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

You imply that you did not do as much research as you could have regarding both fields, so do that now. Go for MD if you are passionate about what it entails and not because you are afraid of what others will think if you go DO. I'd hate myself if I avoided dentistry simply out of fear of the "not a real doctor" jokes.

What exactly is "dreadful" about someone wanting to know more about osteopathic medicine? It's a respectable field. As for people who **** on DO to boost their egos... well, I'd resort to inflating my ignorance if I had nothing better to do with my time, too.

Also, a 3.6 GPA is fine for MD if you have a great MCAT and EC's. A retake will not hurt you if you improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be stupid. You have an acceptance and will be a doctor. OMM is a fun class and it actually does work on a lot of people. I would be rich if I told you how many MD's wished they knew how to do manipulation.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Brother,

Congratulations on getting accepted into a DO school. That is awesome and a feat in itself. You are in a unique circumstance and I am not in your shoes. That being said, I would absolutely take the admittance. Perhaps you are going though anxiety and doubt prior to entering medical school. I know I am having some of that as well.

I could tell you that a bird in your hand is worth more than two in the bush, but I will rely on other reasons why you should go DO.

-Every year, medical school is harder to get into. I don't recall the figure, but here are some stats. https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstablea1.pdf
-If you do decide to reapply, how are you going to be stronger as an reapplicant? Are you going to focus on your MCAT? GPA? Both? What about your ECs? How much time are you going to invest? At least another year? When are you going to apply? How much time and effort will you invest?
-How much is being a MD vs DO worth it to you? Like you, I am not starting a flame war. This is a question only you can answer. If you were an MD, would you really seek those opporrutonities/career paths that are ultra competitive and hard for DOs to get into? how much would your career drastically change if you were an MD or DO?
-If you apply next year to both MD and DO, what are you going to do if you don't get in to either place? Will you focus on another Healthcare speciality? Will it now become physician vs physician assistant/RN?
-who do you have to prove anything to? Your peers or your patients. You are going to become a physician.

Best of luck OP

The average MCAT retake results in the same or lower score. You can't assume you'll get a better score.

If you don't want to deal with OMM, add it to the pile of things you have to do in med school that you will think of as total bull****. You get no vote on what med schools make you do.

Get a look at the cost of attendance and match list at your DO school. Those might be reasons to reconsider a particular DO or MD school.

DO vs. MD is a kiddie pool discussion. Nobody talks about it in the deep end.

Reactions: 4 users
Unless you're dead set on ENT, derm, ns or another really competitive specialty (which are really hard to match as an MD as well, mind you), I'd echo what the previous posters have said and tell you to go DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Take the DO acceptance and run.
It will take you at least two years (MCAT retake and a new application cycle) to get into a MD school. Not really worth it. You will do well with a DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Side comment: I was surprised to see 7 unfilled derm positions in the AOA match this year. Zero in NRMP. A couple of my classmates would have chosen DO if they'd known this would happen.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

So I have been accepted to a DO school and I was happy to go to a DO school, but as the school year gets closer, I am having my doubts about osteopathic medicine, mainly OMM. The more I think about it, the more I think I might be miserable in OMM class and the dread of others asking "what is DO?" and "what medical school is that?" I wished I had applied to more MD schools... I only applied to my state school in Colorado and was rejected. Now, I know that I should have thought more about osteopathic medicine/OMM before applying DO, and I admit I was foolish, but I can't change my mistakes. :( My stats are low for MD schools (503 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, 3.6 sGPA).

Would it be the biggest mistake to reapply next cycle after re-taking the MCAT, knowing I will have to burn bridges with all DO schools? How do MD schools view MCAT re-takes?

OMM is just a hurdle to get through. Most hate it, and over 90% do not use it after graduation. That being said, there are some useful applications for it, and if you end up deciding on a field like PM&R, sports med, etc it will actually be a helpful ace up your sleeve. For most of us, we just keep our heads down and trudge through OMM knowing it's part of the deal we signed up for. Being annoyed by people asking about DO or not knowing your medical school is a silly reason to pass up this acceptance. You're forgoing a year of attending salary by reapplying, and possibly exponentially more if you end up not receiving an MD acceptance. The application pool is only getting tougher, so there's no guarantee you would be successful again. "Osteopathic medicine" is a fallacy. Nothing about your training, other than OMM, will differ from the training at an allopathic school. This is exactly how I explain DO to outsiders; it's medical school but we have to take one extra course that MDs don't have to take (OMM). The only reason to not accept your seat is if you are having doubts about medicine overall as a career.

If you don't significantly improve your MCAT/overall application you may end up having an unsuccessful application cycle. A year from now you could be kicking yourself for not just taking the DO acceptance. There's nothing wrong with going the DO route. I think DO is fine and public awareness about how DO=MD is increasing every year.

Drop the acceptance and retake the MCAT. I'd rather see your seat go to someone who really wants to be a doctor, and actually understood by interview time what they were getting into.

MD schools may very well average your score, so you have to do much better the second time around.

Hello all,

Reactions: 16 users
The average MCAT retake results in the same or lower score. You can't assume you'll get a better score.

If you don't want to deal with OMM, add it to the pile of things you have to do in med school that you will think of as total bull****. You get no vote on what med schools make you do.

Get a look at the cost of attendance and match list at your DO school. Those might be reasons to reconsider a particular DO or MD school.

DO vs. MD is a kiddie pool discussion. Nobody talks about it in the deep end.
There's some old AAMC data on it out there, but the majority of students do improve their score. The ones that do not, however, are pretty much boned.
MCAT-Score-Increase-Magoosh.png

I have to second what Goro said. If you seriously feel that having MD behind your name rather than DO is more important, give your seat up for someone that's yearning for that spot. Apply for MD next year. If you're shooting for an ultra-competitive residency like PRS/NSG/IR, then it will help you slightly later on, but realistically, an ultra-competitive residency is going to be just as difficult either way.

Your medical education during the first 2 years is the same regardless of where you go. The material does not change. Your board score is 95% dependent on how well you prepared and maybe 5% on what the school has taught you. There are people that score 250 on their boards at Harvard and there are people that score 250 at DCOM. The amount of people that score 250 may be different, but that is a result of the quality of students accepted - not because there is some secret technique to how they teach their students.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all,

OJHAGru.gif

I worked as a RN for 5 years and I had the opportunity to work with great MDs and DOs. I never once saw a difference in the way they practiced medicine. In fact, I didn't even know there is a difference until I applied to medical school. When I got admitted to DO school I accepted it and ran with it bc I wanted to be a doctor, I didn't care what credentials I have after my name. I am a 4th year now on my way to applying to a general surgery residency and I can't tell you how happy I am I accepted that spot. With that being said, if you care about having MD after your name, then maybe DO school is not for you. Did I have to explain to some ppl what DO school is? yes, I did but for me that meant increasing awareness of what we do as DOs.
As far as MDs looking down at DOs and BS like that...that's the stupidest thing I've heard....haters gonna hate and I'm gonna work on being an awesome surgeon while MDs bitch about me lol I recently worked with a MD ER doc that went back to school to get her Masters in Acupuncture and one of the things she told me was to get as many tools into my tool box bc one day I'll realize that western medicine fails ppl every single day and drugs can only do so much for our patients. OMM is always going to be an extra tool I'll have in my pocket if I choose to use it on my patients, it's extra training I have that others (MDs) don't have and nobody can take that away from me.
I don't know how old you are, but waiting another year doesn't mean you're actually going to get into MD school and I can tell you, the older you get, the harder it is to get down and study your ass off so choose wisely

Reactions: 5 users
Don't be an idiot. Take the acceptance. Or don't, and let someone who actually wanted your spot who deserves it take it instead. Sheesh. You should never have applied DO in the first place if you had any reservations period, and you should've applied to more than just 1 MD school total.

I actually hope you don't take the acceptance, you have doubt in the DO philosophy and honestly you can't go into this half cocked you need to be ready to hit the ground running. Bow out graciously, and be ready to go for next cycle (not this current one you're too late)

I actually hope you don't take the acceptance, you have doubt in the DO philosophy and honestly you can't go into this half cocked you need to be ready to hit the ground running. Bow out graciously, and be ready to go for next cycle (not this current one you're too late)

Is it too late for this cycle even if you submit amcas today? I thought you were considered on time until around mid July?

For MD, one is fine until Labor Day.

Thank you Goro I got a little busy and didn't see this.....I know how anxious I was when applying so I know how important fast answers are....my bad!

Hello all,

Yes, it would be the biggest mistake of your life. I'm talking about the kind of "one that got away" regret story that you hear about in sad country songs and watch on the Lifetime movie channel. Dude, you won. Don't be a sore winner. Take your acceptance and run with it.

P.S. A good portion of medical training will make you miserable regardless, especially if you go into it with a bad attitude.

Reactions: 3 users
If you don't want the D.O school then give it up so someone on a wait-list can go to med school.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Here is the fun part about DO schools and practicing DO physicians ( as told by a DO physician I know very well): your patients and colleagues do not care what school you went to, or what the two letters after your name are. All they care about is "can you effectively treat patients?" and "are you overall a competent physician?". Really the only people who think DO is less than an MD is uninformed premeds, elitist MD students and old crotchety MD's that are set in their ways. No reasonable person will call your medical knowledge or expertise into question simply because you went to a DO school instead of an MD school.

So yeah, your ranking should go like this:

Be a doctor DO or MD (U.S.)>>>>>>>>>>>>>MD school>DO school>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Other medical professions>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Manager at Mcdonalds>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean MD schools (total scam)

go DO. if someone asks what a DO is just tell them you're a chiropractor. trust me. its much easier to do that than explain to a thousand people that its the same medicine as MD, just for them to come back saying they read on the internet its holistic and think you're a liar.

so you're studying to be a bone doctor? yeah

Quite frankly if I end up attending a DO school and get asked "what is a DO?" I will probably f*ck with whoever is asking. "Oh Aunt so-and-so, a DO is a form of Naturalist Podiatry! I am recognized by the Podiatry Organization for Original Professions of International Naturopaths (POOPIN) as a partially functional podiatrist in the state of Alaska and the country of Taiwan! All I had to do was send them my MCAT scores, take a two week online course about feet and send in my degree request form! Im a doctor now!"

In all seriousness, I probably will just say I am going to medical school. MD's and DO's are virtually equivalent in this day and age (especially with the recent ACGME merger), so it would be wasted breath to try and articulate the minute perceived differences, which would probably confuse the person asking about the school.

There's some old AAMC data on it out there, but the majority of students do improve their score. The ones that do not, however, are pretty much boned.
MCAT-Score-Increase-Magoosh.png

Whoaa look at the 36-38 retakers. 1 person retook a 36 and got a 43!!

how could they be so smart, yet so stupid... Maybe their MCATs had expired?
That's what happened in my case. I scored a 34 on my first take, which was in....1996 I think? Retook in 2004 and got a 43. Would not have retaken had I been able to use the 34.

That's what happened in my case. I scored a 34 on my first take, which was in....1996 I think? Retook in 2004 and got a 43. Would not have retaken had I been able to use the 34.
I imagine you did a PhD in between? That is an insane jump. :=|:-):

how could they be so smart, yet so stupid... Maybe their MCATs had expired?

Nah those stats are for people who retook within a year of their initial attempt. So yeah, they literally retook an unexpired 40+. Probably some situation like a buddy of there's got a 41 to their 39, kept rubbing it in their face and it finally got to them.

I imagine you did a PhD in between? That is an insane jump. :=|:-):
Yes. But more importantly, the second time around, I studied. It's an amazing concept, but people tend to do better on tests when they study for them. :-d

Yes. But more importantly, the second time around, I studied. It's an amazing concept, but people tend to do better on tests when they study for them. :-d
Out of curiosity, why did you choose research at first and what made you realize medicine was something you wanted after? (I ask because I can't imagine ever doing a PhD. ...those thousands of souls behind every drug..my heart goes out to them)

Out of curiosity, why did you choose research at first and what made you realize medicine was something you wanted after? (I ask because I can't imagine ever doing a PhD. ...those thousands of souls behind every drug..my heart goes out to them)
I wasn't all that committed to going to medical school during college; I was engaged to my ex and he didn't get accepted to grad school anywhere in Florida; and I took organic chemistry as a junior and fell in obsessive love with it. I loved grad school. The problem, I realized, is that being a PI is not like being a grad student. Being in the lab and doing experiments is fun. Sitting in your office writing grants....not so much.