ACC in the army?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lifetime2Drill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the army authorize all ceramic crowns?

Even better, is there a chance to do CEREC?

(I'm assuming both answers will be NO, except maybe in residencies)

Members don't see this ad.

Does the army authorize all ceramic crowns?

Even better, is there a chance to do CEREC?

(I'm assuming both answers will be NO, except maybe in residencies)

Yes - in fact the Army Dental Lab is pushing their Lava crowns and bridges. You can order anything you would in private practice. Procera and Lava are the 2 major all ceramic systems used. Veneers are also available.

The key to what you do is 2 fold: 1) your skill level/credentials 2) your Commander.

If you are fresh out of dental school, your skill level and abilities are not at the same point as someone who has been our a few years. Personally I would not want someone straight out of school doing a cosmetic crown in my mouth. For that reason the Army (and I assume the other services) credential or give the ability to do certain procedures to dentists that have proved they have the skill and ability to do them. Also your mission. If you are located at a dental clinic that only sees the privates coming through boot camp - you will not be doing crowns on them.

At the last 3 clinics/bases I have been assigned, the dentists have all had the opportunity to do all-ceramic cases.

Cerec is a little different. Since the machines are so expensive, I have only heard of a few places that have them. Some of the residency programs have them, but you will probably not find many others outside of those locations.

Yes - in fact the Army Dental Lab is pushing their Lava crowns and bridges. You can order anything you would in private practice. Procera and Lava are the 2 major all ceramic systems used. Veneers are also available.

The key to what you do is 2 fold: 1) your skill level/credentials 2) your Commander.

If you are fresh out of dental school, your skill level and abilities are not at the same point as someone who has been our a few years. Personally I would not want someone straight out of school doing a cosmetic crown in my mouth. For that reason the Army (and I assume the other services) credential or give the ability to do certain procedures to dentists that have proved they have the skill and ability to do them. Also your mission. If you are located at a dental clinic that only sees the privates coming through boot camp - you will not be doing crowns on them.

At the last 3 clinics/bases I have been assigned, the dentists have all had the opportunity to do all-ceramic cases.

Cerec is a little different. Since the machines are so expensive, I have only heard of a few places that have them. Some of the residency programs have them, but you will probably not find many others outside of those locations.

Agreed----I however, am in my first year out since school, and have been doing Lava crowns almost exclusively. I do have a proshtodontist, that used to teach at the Bravo program, in the next bay who helps out whenever I have questions though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ft campbell will be getting a couple cerec machines soon.

not that i want to do crowns, but if i wanted to, i could have whatever type made i wanted.

Does the Army send its lab work to private labs or do they have their own?