academic vs community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMIM2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have current data what the difference in income is for IM-CC in academics vs. community?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say community= 250-360K (offers I've had for week-on/week-off, 23-24 wks/year). Academic starts 160-190K, same hours. If someone is seeing 350K+ consistently, not sure where... calif?

average community shop critical care hospitalist salary around 220-250k. extrapolate that out and over 30 years I will lose 2.5-3 million dollars to do my job without CC boarding....

God I need to convince my wife those 2 years are worth it for my than just my skill/knowledge...

I would say community= 250-360K (offers I've had for week-on/week-off, 23-24 wks/year). Academic starts 160-190K, same hours. If someone is seeing 350K+ consistently, not sure where... calif?

average community shop critical care hospitalist salary around 220-250k. extrapolate that out and over 30 years I will lose 2.5-3 million dollars to do my job without CC boarding....

God I need to convince my wife those 2 years are worth it for my than just my skill/knowledge...

Every where it the coasts and popular cities is pretty consistent to see >300-350 for 7 on 7 off. For straight CC.

Man going forward I want to do both pulm and CC but ironically I think I will be paid less and work more if I want to do both.

Every where it the coasts and popular cities is pretty consistent to see >300-350 for 7 on 7 off. For straight CC.
Is it either 7 days or nights during that week or do you alternate with another hospitalist?

Is it a show up and be there from 7-5 and then be available by phone with Hospitalist in house back up?

How exhausted are you after one of these weeks?

Common to have a second job in the week off?

Yes yes and yes. All of those models are not uncommon. And it's intensivist not hospitalist if you're fellowship trained.

For pulm+cc: 300-400 pp. academics 160. work more make more and vice versa. income depends on how savvy of a buisness man you are. tend to make more in areas where supply is less than demand. Who would have thought..

for just intensivist:noctensivist I dunno. i would imagine the academic salary would be the same.

As others have alluded to, eventually the work/life balance can skew things all over the place, not even taking into account how many RVUs you actually accumulate during your shifts. The sweet spot for many hospitalists/nocturnists seems to be between 18-22 shifts a month if you're looking to break the 300k barrier in a non-academic setting. I would assume getting some sort of leadership position would make it more likely to get there if you stayed in academia for a while. Look at the total loss of income for those additional years of training, paired with the additional level of competition you'll have to contend with to get one of those spots versus the possibility of making around the same amount of money working a ton of shifts early in your career with more doors open to you in the hospital generalist world. If you're looking at a Level 1 right off the bat, more power to you but community hospital settings, especially those in rural areas won't have the kind of traffic coming through requiring a specific CC-Pulm level of training as far as I know.

I'm going to disagree with ya, 3 years of fellowship will pay for itself in less than 3 years. My income potential is much MUCH higher as pulm-cc than just critical care hospitalist.

I'm going to disagree with ya, 3 years of fellowship will pay for itself in less than 3 years. My income potential is much MUCH higher as pulm-cc than just critical care hospitalist.
Could you be more specific as to what your income could be and how the pay structure will be broken down? It could definitely be higher or lower than a hospitalist salary, but I did specify that there are many confounders there and a straight salary person that admits 4 per day and rounds on 20 will be paid very differently than an RVU-based person doing the same. The details are what are nailing many specialties since the medicare compensation schedule RVU indexes were changed.

For the benefit of those not yet introduced to the system that pays a large chuck of the fees charged by providers:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/phy...012-medicare-physician-payment-schedule.page?

Last edited:
For pulm+cc: 300-400 pp. academics 160. work more make more and vice versa. income depends on how savvy of a buisness man you are. tend to make more in areas where supply is less than demand. Who would have thought..

for just intensivist:noctensivist I dunno. i would imagine the academic salary would be the same.

So is that 300-400 for a hospitalist type of model/shifts? 1week on and 1 week off?

So is that 300-400 for a hospitalist type of model/shifts? 1week on and 1 week off?

Yes & no. If you're doing pure CC yes, many places are paying around $2000/12 hour shift. And for pulm-cc private p and rvu employed base is about 275-350 plus productivity

Yes & no. If you're doing pure CC yes, many places are paying around $2000/12 hour shift. And for pulm-cc private p and rvu employed base is about 275-350 plus productivity

Do people ever do hospitalist work full time? Like instead of having 1 week off people just work another week (potentially making more and actually kinda using a more permanent presence?)?