Academia and faculty positions in Pediatric Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BritDentist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I'm currently a pedo resident who is interested in academia. As a part of my program, there is an option to do an MS which I have started however, I'm hoping to go forward and do a PhD once I have finished.

The program I am have said they are unlikely to have any faculty positions going forward so I was wondering what is the best way to reach out to different hospitals and universities to offer my services? I am open to working anywhere in Canada or the US but I just don't know how to make the right contacts

Finally how easy/difficult is it to get funding for a PhD in pediatric dentistry? I don't know anyone who has done one so it's hard to get appropriate advice

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone

I'm currently a pedo resident who is interested in academia. As a part of my program, there is an option to do an MS which I have started however, I'm hoping to go forward and do a PhD once I have finished.

The program I am have said they are unlikely to have any faculty positions going forward so I was wondering what is the best way to reach out to different hospitals and universities to offer my services? I am open to working anywhere in Canada or the US but I just don't know how to make the right contacts

Finally how easy/difficult is it to get funding for a PhD in pediatric dentistry? I don't know anyone who has done one so it's hard to get appropriate advice
If you don't know anyone that has one, wouldn't that be a red flag in that specific career? You will become a pediatric dentist to not use that to start your own practice and be successful but rather be faculty and work for someone else?

I don't believe you need a PhD unless you really want to run a research lab. Should be good for being in faculty with an MS and DMD.

What training do your residency professors have?

As others have said, unless you're more interested in research, a PHD is probably not necessary. Why go into a pediatric residency if you're going to do research full time? If you're into that, there are much easier paths for you. An MPH/MS is probably all you would need if you wanted to be in academics and teaching. Look at the AAPD job boards page and once in a while, they'll list faculty positions that are available. Also, it doesn't hurt to reach out to the directors and just send them an email to see what's up.

Reactions: 1 users