Ireland Medical School Chances (ABP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicaldreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for some feedback regarding my chances for 5 year Irish medical programs at UCC, NUIG, UCD, and RCSI.
I've applied for matriculation in Fall 2015.

I'm currently in my 3rd year at the University of Calgary, Canada doing a biological sciences degree. I currently have a gpa of around 3.1 however it should go to 3.2-3.3 by the of the year hopefully. I have not taken the MCAT yet and plan to do so next summer (just trying my chances for the 5/6 year programs first). My High school % is around 84% (my school, along with Alberta as a province, has high standards so I'm not sure if they would take that into consideration).
I have done a lot of extracurriculars such as:

1. Captain/student athlete - University of Calgary Dinos Tennis Team for 3 years running
2. Volunteer/ Medical Shadow Student - Help, Learn and Discover (humanitarian project, Ecuador)
3. Director - Dinos Tennis Society
4. Intern - The Arthritis Society
5. Volunteer - The Heart and Stroke Foundation
6. Summer Tennis Coordinator - Calgary Tennis Society
7. Head Tennis Coach - Wildwood Tennis Association
8. Tennis Coach/ Organizer - Dinos Tennis Society
9. Volunteer - Youth Volunteer Corps
10. Research Assistant - Genetics research

All of these culminate to around 750 hours of volunteering.

If you guys could provide some inputs or thoughts about my chances, that'd be awesome.

Hope everyone's having an awesome school year so far!

Members don't see this ad.

I really can't say for sure to be honest, an 84% seems low but I have heard that Alberta marks harder. Your ECs are good and obviously your GPA isn't the most ideal. I think you should apply to the 5 year programs only, the 6 year programs are just a waste of time and money, the first year is spent doing whats equivalent to 1st year in Canada. (You mentioned you are applying to 5 year programs but then later you said 5/6 year so just making sure)

Everyone comes in with different experiences and stats, its really difficult to give anything beyond "feeling". Things change year over year as well so really my guess is as good as yours. Just apply and see.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'll only be considered for the 5 year program but I said 5/6 since I can't really indicate on my application right? They decide in the end.