ABFM2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did exam 4/17. Preliminary pass result today!
Who hoo!!
Good luck everyone taking the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
4/18 exam. I passed!!! Good luck to everyone on here

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I took my test 4/21...my study prep: AFP questions, board review videos, Uworld questions once with 65%, reviewed last 3 ITE.
The actual board is very randon but fair. Allot of same concepts of past ITE. Uworld is harder then the actual board. 15% of questions on board I had no idea but usually can eliminate and get down to 2 possible answers. In terms of time limit, I usually finished with 3-5 mins to spare for each block.
I Past all 3 of my ITE all mid 400s

Good luck to all and God bless.... We're almost done yay :)

Reactions: 1 users
I took mine on 4/22 and boy was it rough! I literally counted 21 questions that I have never even heard of. Lots of questions with two good answers and even a few questions I felt were like step 1 material that you will never need to know as a FM physician. Definitely harder than expected. At least I have a 3-year contract signed lol

Reactions: 1 user
I took mine on 4/22 and boy was it rough! I literally counted 21 questions that I have never even heard of. Lots of questions with two good answers and even a few questions I felt were like step 1 material that you will never need to know as a FM physician. Definitely harder than expected. At least I have a 3-year contract signed lol
I counted many questions too, and got the prelim passed. You did your best, don’t worry!

I am taking mine on 04/20. Do you mind sharing what you did for preparation? Ive done the last 3 year ITE+AAFP board review questions+some rosh review questions but did not know what else to do.

I hope that everybody out there does well on this!

Got my result today I passed. So it was 3 business days after I took it
ITEs: 390, 440, 330(just clicked through on the last year one)

For anybody wondering, doing the past 3 year ITEs was the most beneficial for review.

Got my result today I passed. So it was 3 business days after I took it
ITEs: 390, 440, 330(just clicked through on the last year one)

For anybody wondering, doing the past 3 year ITEs was the most beneficial for review.
Congrats! Happy for you!

4/22 prelim pass! 😅

In case people were wondering:
- religiously went over the last 3 ITEs (2022, 2021, 2020)
- did the first 80 sets of free questions (so many things out of date on there) and would look up the article they referenced in case more updated ones were available
- USPSTF A/B guidelines
- got my hands on the AAFP review course slides and read over some parts

Members don't see this ad :)
My preliminary result says "in progress"....what's does it mean...it's doesn't says pass or fail?

Prelim Pass today. If I passed this, all of you guys will ...

took mine 4/20, got prelim result on 4/25 saying 'Pending review'- your score was too close to the cut off to give a preliminary result and will be determined by mid-June. anyone else get this? I read on prior forums 14% got pending review on a prior year- 10% ended up passing 4% ended up failing...?

Congrats! Did your status stay registered the whole time? I took mine 4/24 and it still says registered...
I took mine 4/24 and it changed to pending the next day. My fiance took her's on the same day and it still says 'registered'. I don't think that means too much, alot of people got their scores w/i 3 business days regardless of what it said

I took my exam 4/24

Just got a prelim pass! Results came in at 1:10 CST

My fiancé who took her test the same day and same location (and even finished before me) still hasn't gotten her's back. She's also way smarter and motivated than me so if anyone had the 'pending review', it would've been me

Last edited:
I took my exam 4/24

My fiancé who took her test the same day and same location (and even finished before me) still hasn't gotten her's back. She's also way smarter and motivated than me so if anyone had the 'pending review', it would've been me
Congrats! Taking mine tomorrow. Scared as hell!

I took my exam 4/24

Congrats!! I’ve been refreshing but still nothing. I think I’m in the same boat as your fiancé

I took my exam 4/24

Did your fiancé ever hear back?

Took mine 4/24 (Last Monday)
Didn't get email, my status didn't change. Still says "registered" and "In progress", not "pending"
Called ABFM, they said my score is not ready yet because it is not graded yet, i don't know how true that is
Most of my colleagues received in 3-6 business days, kinda confused...is it because a lot more ppl took it last week (2nd week of exam period)?

Took mine 4/24
Stills says "In Progress"
Got the same response from the board how it has not been graded yet. I find it hard to believe as well but that is what they are saying
All my colleagues have received their results. Even those that have taken it after me. One colleague took it this past Thursday (4/28) and received their results today.
Didn't get email, my status didn't change. Still says "registered" and "In progress", not "pending"
Called ABFM, they said my score is not ready yet because it is not graded yet, i don't know how true that is
Most of my colleagues received in 3-6 business days, kinda confused...is it because a lot more ppl took it last week (2nd week of exam period)?

Anyone else with this experience?

I’m in the same exact situation except when I called ABFM they just said it’s business day #6, you should get results by end of the day tomorrow. If not call Thursday am… some
Of my colleagues who took it 4/28 got their results today. This is bogus

Took mine 4/24
Stills says "In Progress"
Got the same response from the board how it has not been graded yet. I find it hard to believe as well but that is what they are saying
All my colleagues have received their results. Even those that have taken it after me. One colleague took it this past Thursday (4/28) and received their results today.

Anyone else with this experience?
Yes. I’m in the same exact boat

No she hasn't yet. She's freaking out but this thread has kept her grounded. Thank y'all
Okay just an update: I contacted ABFM and they said results by 2 pm today. May we get some closure on this chapter already

I also got a pending review...

I am not the highest scorer on exams, but all my past ITEs were good and I did study diligently for this specific exam, don't like to compare things but this was actually one exam i was comfortable with with good amount of prep. Some of my colleagues who did much worse in previous ITEs all passed, and I was teaching them prepping for this exam...

I was just reading through previous yr's posts and those who received "pending review", some of them actually ACED the exam with really high score, so I'm having kinda hard time understanding this "pending review"... is it jus random pick ? or r we actually border line...?

I am not the highest scorer on exams, but all my past ITEs were good and I did study diligently for this specific exam, don't like to compare things but this was actually one exam i was comfortable with with good amount of prep. Some of my colleagues who did much worse in previous ITEs all passed, and I was teaching them prepping for this exam...

I was just reading through previous yr's posts and those who received "pending review", some of them actually ACED the exam with really high score, so I'm having kinda hard time understanding this "pending review"... is it jus random pick ? or r we actually border line...?
I’m wondering the same thing. I hate that we have to wait till mid June to find out.

Pending review means that a preliminary pass or fail result is undeterminable at this time based on the initial exam results data. A preliminary result is provided only with a high certainty that it is your final outcome. Here are a few reasons why a preliminary score may be pending review:

1. A score is too close to the minimum passing standard to provide a preliminary result at this time. When a score is close to the minimum passing threshold, the complete scoring process must be conducted in order to determine the final outcome.
  2. An exam day incident was reported and requires additional investigation to determine the impact the incident had on the exam performance. Exam incidents take time to review the exam log information, video/audio recordings and exam day details.
  3. Findings in the preliminary exam data review indicate a detailed examination review is required. For example, an exam with multiple unanswered questions will result in a detailed examination review to ensure there wasn't an exam incident.

This is what the ABFM website states.

My fiancée also got a pending review. Of note, she did very well on the ITE's, did over 7500 questions before the test (AAFP, uWorld, Rosh Review, and one more), retook and reviewed all 3 prior ITEs, and watched the videos twice and then read all the associated slides twice over. There is 0% chance she failed. It has to be something with that batch of tests.

Our attending was saying this happened in the past with a prior resident. He got a pending review but ended up doing very well on the actual thing.

This all might be 'copium' but I feel strongly that it's just something with that version of the test.

I took it 4/24 and got a prelim pass in 3 business days

Took mine 04/24, prelim pass 04/27. Felt weird during the exam, was not pacing myself well and had flapped ~20 questions per block. Still passed.

I am freaking out. I passed (took it on 4/20). Got results this morning. I was so mentally prepared to have to take it again. This waiting game has been terrible. What a relief. Wishing everyone here success and sending good vibes!

• Care
I passed too! (had pending result status for the past few weeks)
I actually received higher score than 3~4 coresidents' score who received preliminary pass, so i am even more confused
Well, at least it's over, congrats to those who all passed!

My fiancée passed! She did really, really well too so i don't know what the hold up was

For all future people reading this, pending review doesn't necessarily mean that you were close to failing, sometimes it's just the version of the test that you took

Congrats! Any of you mind sharing score + strategies (particularly interested in those that achieved 650+)

My ITEs were pass, fail, pass ranges in PGY1, 2, and 3 respectively. I received a preliminary pass three days after sitting for it.

I watched/listened to all the AAFP videos while also reading the slides. I did ~300 of the free AAFP questions over a period of ~4-5 months. I reviewed 2/3rds of the 2021 ITE, the one I did not do well on, about a week before the test. Admittedly, my case was complicated by Prometric abruptly canceling my test date three times, to the point I had to report them to ABFM and demand that they do something to assist me.

Got my score back this week. +600. Far higher than any of my ITEs. I do not know if this speaks to the teaching/learning quality of my program or if this test was just a crap shoot, but I am at least legally speaking now a fully operational FM doctor even if it doesn't feel like it.

My ITEs were pass, fail, pass ranges in PGY1, 2, and 3 respectively. I received a preliminary pass three days after sitting for it.

I watched/listened to all the AAFP videos while also reading the slides. I did ~300 of the free AAFP questions over a period of ~4-5 months. I reviewed 2/3rds of the 2021 ITE, the one I did not do well on, about a week before the test. Admittedly, my case was complicated by Prometric abruptly canceling my test date three times, to the point I had to report them to ABFM and demand that they do something to assist me.

Got my score back this week. +600. Far higher than any of my ITEs. I do not know if this speaks to the teaching/learning quality of my program or if this test was just a crap shoot, but I am at least legally speaking now a fully operational FM doctor even if it doesn't feel like it.
Thats wonderful- if you dont mind me asking- which program are you in- Im still waiting for my pending result 😔