ABC News: Tulsa Shooter Battled Chronic Back Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think it is important to realize that arabs in Israel can vote. they have political leadership and a political party.

the biggest difference is that there are no arabs/palestinians in the army. this is a huge part of Israeli life. israel exists solely because it has a strong military. cant exactly let "the enemy" serve in your army.

also, if not for religion, then what is the difference between the sephardim and Palestinians? nothing. just a bunch of similiar-skinned people haggling about the price of an item, being way too loud, and complaining any chance they get (this is actually an endearing statement, btw)

the point about Palestinian poverty is a good one, but you cannot dismiss the importance of religion in this conversation. embedded in much of Islamic teaching is indeed martyrdom.

"

“When peace comes we will perhaps in time be able to forgive the Arabs for killing our sons, but it will be harder for us to forgive them for having forced us to kill their sons. Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us.”​

― Golda Meir, A Land of Our Own: An Oral Autobiography
That's my point is many Israeli Arabs live and work alongside Israeli Jews. I doubt many would want to live under occupied Palestine vs where they are today in Israel.

Certainly religion plays a role and I don't mean to imply it didn't. But I do think economic prosperity mitigates susceptibility to extremism.

For some counter quotes about the land:

“If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?”
- David Ben-Gurion

“Israel should have exploited the repression of the demonstrations in China, when world attention focused on that country, to carry out mass expulsions among the Arabs of the territories.”
- Netanyahu, 1989

Members don't see this ad.

tell me more about your one-state solution. how would this work? and what about the military?
Hah I would be a Nobel Prize winner if I could hash it out. Basically looking at the maps in the West Bank, I see significant pullback of Israeli settlements to be impossible. No way you are removing 500,000+ Israeli settlers. Likewise no way of removing the Palestinians outside of mass expulsion. To me this leave the only possible options as a one state solution or status quote (more likely).

I'd see one state solution as:
- give up right of return (combo of resettlement and financial incentives)
- gives Palestinians in the West Bank path to Israeli citizenship, perhaps in stages
- allow Gaza as an independent state or annex to Egypt (likely not). Support financially with a gradual transition.

This allows Israel to preserve a Jewish majority.

I don't know about military. Perhaps allow an exemption like Israeli Arabs for the time being. They pay for it in missed government benefits.

Certainly not an overnight solution. A single state of Israel would be a rough transition but probably better a generation or two from now than the status quote.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wtf happened to this thread?

aren’t we all? Good way to end this thread.
Lol can't say I'm not guilty of the tangent.

Happy to move the discussion to the private forum politics thread since probably only 2 people care have any interest in my responses if that.

Might be a change of pace in the thread from the usual anti-Democrat diatribe with occasional rebuttal from @SSdoc33 .

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Good morning. Now my turn to tackle this piece by piece.
To say Jewish people didn't forcibly colonize anything is false. In the 1948 war 700,000 Palestinians were forcibly expelled from their homes and the newly created Israel had premeditated ambitions for expansion beyond the 1948 UN mandate and subsequent wars beyond. Since 1967 Israel has continued settlement expansion in Palestinian territory (West Bank) despite UN and international opposition. This continues to the present day.
Reread. I said initially. Things didn't get really ugly until later on although there were attacks on the Jews, such as the Hebron Massacre, before this. The Jews at the time were a much weaker and smaller force and a far more threatened minority. This is what led to the beginning of the Haganah and Jewish defense extremism and atrocities were eventually committed on both sides. But they initially organized against attacks by Arabs. Nonetheless, as WW2 rolled in the entire world began to shift. There was never a Palestinian country but I guess the Grand Mufti at the time would be considered the closest thing to its leader and he, along with the Arabs, chose to align with Hitler and to help achieve the final solution. Sorry, but if you're going to try and wipe out my family I'm going to fight back by any means that I can. Of course, not all Arabs wanted this and innocent ones got swept up in the aftermath but this is what happens in war. The same with the entire axis and the innocent people in Japan and Germany.

Were the Arabs forcibly expelled? Did they flee? Depends on what you read. The ones who stayed became Israeli Arabs and I imagine to this day prefer living in, rather than outside of, Israel. It was probably a little over 700,000 Arabs who left one way or another. Not that it makes it right but still less than the ~900,000 Jews who left or were expelled from Muslim lands beginning around the same time and who make up the majority of Israelis today. Why is this rarely ever mentioned? Perhaps because Israel absorbed them and didn't use them as pawns, unlike their neighbors.
Israeli policy is to continue settlement expansion and acquisition of Palestinian territory. Even in times of relative peace such as Oslo accords Israel has only briefly paused settlement expansion. I am not justifying Palestinian attacks, but a crushing occupation is a major cause of it.

Your analogy with Mexico is a false comparison. A more accurate comparison is if Russia occupied the US, stopped Americans and their children on the way to school/work, detained them if they didn't have ID, prevented you from building a new home or traveling to other cities, etc. Perhaps we wouldn't be surprised if there were some desperate people who respond with random acts of violence.
Not a false comparison at all. I'm asking you to consider the US response to rockets fired from a hostile nation at civilians, including children. Let's make it an even more accurate description. Let's say you're New Jersey and New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, etc are threatening you with missiles. I think your opinion might change. I don't think the US military is going to sit there and think about whether or not the rocket attacks are justified. They need to first stop it. Bush didn't think about the justification for the bombing of the twin towers.

I'm also going to ask you again to take it one step further and ask why these policies are in place? What forces were in place that helped lead to this? Do you honestly think any country wants to be bogged down enforcing these awful policies? You may not be surprised of a person's act of desperation but I'm not surprised by the Israeli response in doing these things. In fact, I would expect and demand my government to do the same if the situation called for it. The primary job of a government and its military is to protect its citizens.

The dynamics there are completely different than here. Israel is a speck surrounded by a sea of hatred and hostility you and I can't imagine. There's not much room for error.
The paragraph about suicide bombings is inaccurate. Sharon's disengagement from Gaza was strategic. 8,000 settlers and the military controlled about 30% of Gaza. Palestinian population in this area is about 1.5 million. Why were the settlements placed their in the first place? Sharon and leadership were worried about the demographics. They wanted to disentangle Israeli settlers from Palestinian population in order not to risk a Jewish majority in any future settlement. Israel dismantled Gaza settlements in 2005. The bombings have come in waves but the majority were before 2005 with many in the time of the Intifidah.
You're right, most suicide bombings occurred before and the only thing that slowed the tide was the building of the separation barrier. This is a clear example of how things tend to evolve there and an example of how Israel is acting in self-defense. Another example is the disengagement from gaza. This was perceived as Israeli weakness and attacks have increased since that time, not decreased. You would think that the Palestinians would have used this opportunity to help make more gains and not by attacking Israel and forcing it to respond. This is why Israel needs to show strength. Otherwise, it will not survive. When they let up on the gas, the attacks tend to increase, not decrease.
Hamas was elected in 2006. The choice were Hamas (extremist) and PA/Fatah (corrupt). The latter had been in power for a decade + with basically no progress or prospects for peace. PA was very corrupt pilfering or . Hamas, while extreme, was providing significant social services. When picking from two terrible choice they voted for the one they saw as more hopeful at the time and are suffering the consequences now (isolation, blockade, poverty). I am not justifying their actions but when you vote for someone once it doesn't mean you support every ideological believe they have. Note there has not been another election since 2006 - not hard to wonder why.
Maybe, maybe not. You're assuming you know how Gazans think. While you can sit there and make your assumptions, the reality is that Hamas rules Gaza and sets the rules through its leadership. It is literally in their charter to destroy Israel. How can you negotiate peace with this organization? This is the main problem. You cannot fix anything there until this is changed. It doesn't matter what happened in the past or who is right or wrong. There really is no right or wrong as each group is going to do what's in its own best interest. The reality, which must be dealt with, is that the Jewish people living there are not going anywhere just as no one here is going back to Africa, Europe, Asia, whatever. The Palestinians must understand and accept this. If they choose not to, they'll continue with the tit for tat violence and continue to lose land and dig themselves into a deeper and deeper hole.

If the situation was reversed, there would be no middle east problem or land encroachment issue as Hamas would simply kill every single Israeli. Naturally, Israel won't allow this to happen.
What do you mean "if the Palestinians laid their arms down"? Isn't this what happend with the Oslo Accords? Take a look at the timeline of maps. This consolidated Israel's occupation and they continued settlement expansion. Any supposed offers of peace were breaking up would-be Palestine into multiple discontigous parts - a state in name only.
I don't care about something from the 90s. I'm talking about today. What happened at Oslo, like everything else, is controversial. We're in a different world today. There's a strong Hezbollah on the northern border likely armed with tens of thousands of missiles, a strong Hamas in the west, Russia in Syria, and a likely soon-to-be nuclear-armed Iran supporting these parties. So, I'll ask you again. If the Palestinians stopped their violence and Hamas, Iran, and Hezbollah agreed to accept Israel in its current state, what do you think the outcome would be? Do you honestly think the settlements would continue to expand? I think world opinion, including probably that of most Israelis, would support Palestinian statehood as long as Israel was guaranteed its security.
No doubt the celebration of bombings, martydom, etc is shameful. I highly doubt the majority of Palestinians dance to this. There are Israeli settlers likewise celebrating bombings of Palestinians homes and beatings of children. Extremist Israeli groups support forced expulsion of Palestinians from the West bank. I don't equate these with the sentiment of Israeli Jews overall.
These settlers who behave this way are few and far between. I bet most Israelis are distressed when anyone other than a militant is killed. Hard to say that most Palestinians feel this way, especially when they're sending their young children to the front lines. I don't think Palestinians are inherently evil people and I'm sure most of them, along with most Arabs and people in general, are good people. Most likely very caring, inviting, and generous. They're doing what they feel is right but when you indoctrinate children in school at an early age that the Jews are going to kill you and your family, they're evil, they must be killed, etc. I'm not sure what other response you can expect or how you can expect this population to want peace.

The IDF has done more than any other army to prevent civilian deaths. They send knock-knock bombs, make phone calls, drop flyers, etc. What other country does this? In turn, Hamas launches rockets at kindergartens.
Israel touts itself as a democracy so it gets critiqued as such. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is probably the most heavily scrutinized conflict on the globe. Part of this is I believe it is so long-standing (50+ years) but also the prominent role Israel plays in our politics and the sympathy of the Palestinian plight to those elsewhere in the Middle East in abroad. Saudi Arabia is an egregious human rights violator. It is not in our economic interest to critique them. Note I am stating why I think Israel is held to a different standard - not saying it is justified to do so.
Exactly my point. The earlier poster mentioned Apartheid as a critique against Israel compared to the Palestinians when in fact Palestine, as in many Muslim nations (i.e. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Sudan) is far closer to Apartheid than Israel is. Sorry, but you don't get to levy this charge against someone when you yourself are more like what you are accusing others of being.

Apartheid, colonization, racism - these are all buzz words used to garner favor with public opinion to make it seem like a wealthy white country taking advantage of a poor indigenous brown population. This is far from the case and not that it matters, but many Israelis have far more melanin content than their Palestinian neighbors.

Muslims and Arabs control much land. No one is arguing against this but sorry, they can't have the entire middle east and surrounding area as other groups of people also have ties to this land. There are so many Muslim countries. Don't the Jews deserve just one?

1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
“If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel. It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has been Anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their country. Why would they accept that?”
- David Ben-Gurion
This commonly noted Ben Gurion quote was never sourced by him. It was allegedly said by him as noted by a political opponent of his. His quotes certainly show a complex picture of his thoughts but this quote is not a good one to use.
Hah I would be a Nobel Prize winner if I could hash it out. Basically looking at the maps in the West Bank, I see significant pullback of Israeli settlements to be impossible. No way you are removing 500,000+ Israeli settlers. Likewise no way of removing the Palestinians outside of mass expulsion. To me this leave the only possible options as a one state solution or status quote (more likely).

I'd see one state solution as:
- give up right of return (combo of resettlement and financial incentives)
- gives Palestinians in the West Bank path to Israeli citizenship, perhaps in stages
- allow Gaza as an independent state or annex to Egypt (likely not). Support financially with a gradual transition.

This allows Israel to preserve a Jewish majority.

I don't know about military. Perhaps allow an exemption like Israeli Arabs for the time being. They pay for it in missed government benefits.

Certainly not an overnight solution. A single state of Israel would be a rough transition but probably better a generation or two from now than the status quote.
Personally, I think a 2 state solution would be better. Separate different groups out and let them be the masters of their own destinies. I know we always talk about celebrating diversity but the harsh reality is that most, but not all, people tend to be most comfortable within their own groups of people who share a common language, religion, culture, phenotype, etc. Humans are tribal in nature and we're still Great Apes at heart and classified as such.

Good morning. Now my turn to tackle this piece by piece.

Reread. I said initially. Things didn't get really ugly until later on although there were attacks on the Jews, such as the Hebron Massacre, before this. The Jews at the time were a much weaker and smaller force and a far more threatened minority. This is what led to the beginning of the Haganah and Jewish defense extremism and atrocities were eventually committed on both sides. But they initially organized against attacks by Arabs. Nonetheless, as WW2 rolled in the entire world began to shift. There was never a Palestinian country but I guess the Grand Mufti at the time would be considered the closest thing to its leader and he, along with the Arabs, chose to align with Hitler and to help achieve the final solution. Sorry, but if you're going to try and wipe out my family I'm going to fight back by any means that I can. Of course, not all Arabs wanted this and innocent ones got swept up in the aftermath but this is what happens in war. The same with the entire axis and the innocent people in Japan and Germany.

Were the Arabs forcibly expelled? Did they flee? Depends on what you read. The ones who stayed became Israeli Arabs and I imagine to this day prefer living in, rather than outside of, Israel. It was probably a little over 700,000 Arabs who left one way or another. Not that it makes it right but still less than the ~900,000 Jews who left or were expelled from Muslim lands beginning around the same time and who make up the majority of Israelis today. Why is this rarely ever mentioned? Perhaps because Israel absorbed them and didn't use them as pawns, unlike their neighbors.

Not a false comparison at all. I'm asking you to consider the US response to rockets fired from a hostile nation at civilians, including children. Let's make it an even more accurate description. Let's say you're New Jersey and New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, etc are threatening you with missiles. I think your opinion might change. I don't think the US military is going to sit there and think about whether or not the rocket attacks are justified. They need to first stop it. Bush didn't think about the justification for the bombing of the twin towers.

I'm also going to ask you again to take it one step further and ask why these policies are in place? What forces were in place that helped lead to this? Do you honestly think any country wants to be bogged down enforcing these awful policies? You may not be surprised of a person's act of desperation but I'm not surprised by the Israeli response in doing these things. In fact, I would expect and demand my government to do the same if the situation called for it. The primary job of a government and its military is to protect its citizens.

The dynamics there are completely different than here. Israel is a speck surrounded by a sea of hatred and hostility you and I can't imagine. There's not much room for error.

You're right, most suicide bombings occurred before and the only thing that slowed the tide was the building of the separation barrier. This is a clear example of how things tend to evolve there and an example of how Israel is acting in self-defense. Another example is the disengagement from gaza. This was perceived as Israeli weakness and attacks have increased since that time, not decreased. You would think that the Palestinians would have used this opportunity to help make more gains and not by attacking Israel and forcing it to respond. This is why Israel needs to show strength. Otherwise, it will not survive. When they let up on the gas, the attacks tend to increase, not decrease.

Maybe, maybe not. You're assuming you know how Gazans think. While you can sit there and make your assumptions, the reality is that Hamas rules Gaza and sets the rules through its leadership. It is literally in their charter to destroy Israel. How can you negotiate peace with this organization? This is the main problem. You cannot fix anything there until this is changed. It doesn't matter what happened in the past or who is right or wrong. There really is no right or wrong as each group is going to do what's in its own best interest. The reality, which must be dealt with, is that the Jewish people living there are not going anywhere just as no one here is going back to Africa, Europe, Asia, whatever. The Palestinians must understand and accept this. If they choose not to, they'll continue with the tit for tat violence and continue to lose land and dig themselves into a deeper and deeper hole.

If the situation was reversed, there would be no middle east problem or land encroachment issue as Hamas would simply kill every single Israeli. Naturally, Israel won't allow this to happen.

These settlers who behave this way are few and far between. I bet most Israelis are distressed when anyone other than a militant is killed. Hard to say that most Palestinians feel this way, especially when they're sending their young children to the front lines. I don't think Palestinians are inherently evil people and I'm sure most of them, along with most Arabs and people in general, are good people. Most likely very caring, inviting, and generous. They're doing what they feel is right but when you indoctrinate children in school at an early age that the Jews are going to kill you and your family, they're evil, they must be killed, etc. I'm not sure what other response you can expect or how you can expect this population to want peace.

The IDF has done more than any other army to prevent civilian deaths. They send knock-knock bombs, make phone calls, drop flyers, etc. What other country does this? In turn, Hamas launches rockets at kindergartens.

Exactly my point. The earlier poster mentioned Apartheid as a critique against Israel compared to the Palestinians when in fact Palestine, as in many Muslim nations (i.e. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Sudan) is far closer to Apartheid than Israel is. Sorry, but you don't get to levy this charge against someone when you yourself are more like what you are accusing others of being.

Apartheid, colonization, racism - these are all buzz words used to garner favor with public opinion to make it seem like a wealthy white country taking advantage of a poor indigenous brown population. This is far from the case and not that it matters, but many Israelis have far more melanin content than their Palestinian neighbors.

Muslims and Arabs control much land. No one is arguing against this but sorry, they can't have the entire middle east and surrounding area as other groups of people also have ties to this land. There are so many Muslim countries. Don't the Jews deserve just one?

View attachment 356011
Your post ignores several comments, states several opinions, and brings up new arguments. I'll respond to what I can before work:

I never argued against Israel as a Jewish homeland. That doesn't justify a brutal occupation of another people. What exactly do you call what's going on in the West Bank where millions of Palestinian civilians have no freedom of movement, subject to harassment, land seizure, imprisonment without recourse, etc?

You mention Hamas - yes they are extreme. Hamas has signaled willingness to recognize Israel based on 1967 borders. Questionable but who would know, negotiation was never tried. IDF has killed many more civilians than Hamas.

Your US comparison again is false. Sorry you don't get to equate sporadic homemade rockets from a population under occupation and encroachment of land by bombings from a foreign country.

I don't care about something from the 90s. I'm talking about today. What happened at Oslo, like everything else, is controversial. We're in a different world today. There's a strong Hezbollah on the northern border likely armed with tens of thousands of missiles, a strong Hamas in the west, Russia in Syria, and a likely soon-to-be nuclear-armed Iran supporting these parties. So, I'll ask you again. If the Palestinians stopped their violence and Hamas, Iran, and Hezbollah agreed to accept Israel in its current state, what do you think the outcome would be? Do you honestly think the settlements would continue to expand? I think world opinion, including probably that of most Israelis, would support Palestinian statehood as long as Israel was guaranteed its security.

You stated earlier:

"If the Palestinians laid their arms down and adopted peaceful measures, most of the world would probably support them and there would likely be a peaceful solution. "

I responded with examples of the Oslo accords and you said who cares. What arms are you talking about? The homemade rockets Hamas fires every 6 months? There have been periods of months with no or very few Israeli civilians deaths. There have been roughly 20x more Palestinian civilian deaths than Israeli deaths in the past 10-15 years. What is this likely 'peaceful solution' you speak of?

You have ignored the continued settlement expansion and expansion I mentioned as the major source of tension.

You state:

"I bet most Israelis are distressed when anyone other than a militant is killed. Hard to say that most Palestinians feel this way, especially when they're sending their young children to the front lines. "

Pure conjecture villifying Palestinians based on whatever news media you saw at the time. Many more reports of IDF targeting civilians than your latter statement here.

Your post ignores several comments, states several opinions, and brings up new arguments. I'll respond to what I can before work:

I never argued against Israel as a Jewish homeland. That doesn't justify a brutal occupation of another people. What exactly do you call what's going on in the West Bank where millions of Palestinian civilians have no freedom of movement, subject to harassment, land seizure, imprisonment without recourse, etc?

You mention Hamas - yes they are extreme. Hamas has signaled willingness to recognize Israel based on 1967 borders. Questionable but who would know, negotiation was never tried. IDF has killed many more civilians than Hamas.

Your US comparison again is false. Sorry you don't get to equate sporadic homemade rockets from a population under occupation and encroachment of land by bombings from a foreign country.

You stated earlier:

"If the Palestinians laid their arms down and adopted peaceful measures, most of the world would probably support them and there would likely be a peaceful solution. "

I responded with examples of the Oslo accords and you said who cares. What arms are you talking about? The homemade rockets Hamas fires every 6 months? There have been periods of months with no or very few Israeli civilians deaths. There have been roughly 20x more Palestinian civilian deaths than Israeli deaths in the past 10-15 years. What is this likely 'peaceful solution' you speak of?

You have ignored the continued settlement expansion and expansion I mentioned as the major source of tension.

You state:

"I bet most Israelis are distressed when anyone other than a militant is killed. Hard to say that most Palestinians feel this way, especially when they're sending their young children to the front lines. "

Pure conjecture villifying Palestinians based on whatever news media you saw at the time. Many more reports of IDF targeting civilians than your latter statement here.
I'm not a supporter of settlement expansion but it seems Israel will keep at it if they have no partner to negotiate with. Homemade rockets or not, they kill and I wouldn't want them launched at me. It's not limited to rockets, it's also the support of terror attacks as in the recent wave not too long ago.

The point of war is to kill the enemy. That's what happens. I would hope that more of the enemy is killed than my own group of people. I'm not sure how to further prevent civilians from being killed when Hamas fires them off from civilian areas. It's Hamas' fault that their innocents are being killed as this is their method of fighting. The more innocents that are killed the more they can wave the banner to the world.

The rockets I'm referring to are the ones I've mentioned. The tens of thousands surrounding Israel. We almost had a nuclear war when the USSR was trying to get established in Cuba and that's over 2000 miles from the US. Hamas and Hezbollah border Israel.

I guess where we differ is that you see the occupation as the origin to this problem and militantism as a response. I see militantism as the origin and the occupation as a response. Hence, why a solution may be difficult to achieve.

I guess where we differ is that you see the occupation as the origin to this problem and militantism as a response. I see militantism as the origin and the occupation as a response. Hence, why a solution may be difficult to achieve.
This is a fair assessment of our positions. I think Palestinians are slowly adapting to the reality on the ground.
What was not acceptable to the Palestinians 30 years ago (solution based on 1967 borders) is now basically their position.

Israel's settlement expansion in the meantime would make present day disengagement from the West Bank a political impossibility.

This is a fair assessment of our positions. I think Palestinians are slowly adapting to the reality on the ground.
What was not acceptable to the Palestinians 30 years ago (solution based on 1967 borders) is now basically their position.

Israel's settlement expansion in the meantime would make present day disengagement from the West Bank a political impossibility.
I won't pretend I have the answer here.

I guess at this point we would probably just keep repeating our points. That's when it can start getting annoying. It was nice chatting with you about this anyway. Unlike most opinions on this matter, I see yours are well thought out and come from an educated position.

Are you Muslim by the way? I'm assuming you are. I've recently been dealing with many Muslims. They seem to like to eat goats and I also think sheep. I'm going to start raising them soon and sell them to them. They do the butchering to keep them Halal. In the meantime, I've been selling them fencing for the ones who like to raise them themselves.

read it, most of it anyway, some interesting info....but the author lost me with his focus on hunting (not the reason for the 2A), his dismissal of the importance of the 2A for a counterbalance to a over reaching government, and mention of 'toxic masculinity'

if the author wants to give up their rights, they are welcome to, but don't offer to infringe on mine

overall I need to see of proof of concept in terms of:

- the government showing me they actually act in the best interest of the people rather than being petty, corrupt, incompetent, and having singular focus on power

- the states that already have 'common sense' gun reform being way safer . my home state has very chill gun regulation and is very safe. without a doubt IL, CA, and NY are way more dangerous

- less cognitive dissonance if you want me on board. we went from George Floyd era 'cops are all evil, racist, and psychopathic' to ----> 'only cops should have guns'. what?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just some data:

Hi, so I looked at that data which initially did not make a lot of sense to me. If you looked at that map without digging into it too deeply you would get the sense there is more danger and violence in Vermont than let say New York for Massachusetts, which obviously does not make sense!

Although initially it makes sense to focus purely on gun violence when looking at going loss, it is probably even more important to look at overall violent crime

What’s the connection between peace negotiations and grabbing land?
I have no idea what they're thinking. Maybe they see themselves still at war, maybe they see it as a natural growth of the existing communities. Maybe they see it as punishment as there seems to be a correlation between terrorist attacks and housing upstart approvals.

read it, most of it anyway, some interesting info....but the author lost me with his focus on hunting (not the reason for the 2A), his dismissal of the importance of the 2A for a counterbalance to a over reaching government, and mention of 'toxic masculinity'

if the author wants to give up their rights, they are welcome to, but don't offer to infringe on mine

overall I need to see of proof of concept in terms of:

- the government showing me they actually act in the best interest of the people rather than being petty, corrupt, incompetent, and having singular focus on power

- the states that already have 'common sense' gun reform being way safer . my home state has very chill gun regulation and is very safe. without a doubt IL, CA, and NY are way more dangerous

- less cognitive dissonance if you want me on board. we went from George Floyd era 'cops are all evil, racist, and psychopathic' to ----> 'only cops should have guns'. what?
what state pray tell are you in?

because your comment about NY and Califorina are way more dangerous is probably wrong.
Death rate from guns by state (edit listed from lowest rate on up):

gun mortality cdc.GIF

im guessing you live in, um, New Hampshire?

interesting story about the mental health aspect of this.
NY time podcast the daily. They had on a Emergency Psychiatrist that does evals for people that pose a danger with guns.
She said that she usually errs on the side of caution and will admit people if she is not 100% certain they are not a risk because of the risk to the public if she is wrong. Then a few days later, they go to court and the judge usually does not commit the patient which she said is a legal proceeding if involuntary.
Most of the time, these people do not have a diagnosable mental illness that would warrant commitment. Yes they are angry, yes they may pose a danger, but they are not mentally ill in a DSM type of way.

she goes on to state that if they want to use mental health as a screening, they will have to change the way mental health is diagnosed and classified.

example she used was of a 16 yo boy that made comments on facebook and his brother thought he may have ordered a gun on the internet.
Cops took him to psych to get eval'd. she admitted him, judge released him.

interesting listen to how that proceeds in California.

If you are admitted by a psych but not committed in california, then you have a 5 year ban on buying guns in California only. If you are committed then you go into Federal database.

what state pray tell are you in?

because your comment about NY and Califorina are way more dangerous is probably wrong.
Death rate from guns by state (edit listed from lowest rate on up):

View attachment 356069

im guessing you live in, um, New Hampshire?

I don't think you read my response or looked at the data link I provided? Looking at GUN violence only is misleading. Look at ALL violent crime. An argument could be made that more guns (I don't have the causation data but maybe it exists?) may lead to more gun suicides and gun crimes but MAY also REDUCE overall violent crime. (e.g. DC has pretty strict gun laws but is quite dangerous overall)

The idea that NH is more dangerous then NY, CA, MA is ridiculous and better represented by looking at overall violent crime

Sidebar, there is so much cognitive dissonance it is almost humorous. Right after George Floyd, the knee jerk reaction was to defund the police, reduce police, encourage / excuse riots and crime, and we were/are told in no uncertain terms that the government, the police, the military were racist, corrupt, and incompetent institutions that were/are irredeemable.

Now we are being told that only those institutions should have firearms. HUH?

If that teen in Uvalde had a knife or a handgun he could have killed just as well, he did not need an AR-15. The school door was left propped, and the police response did not, in any way, follow a proper active shooter protocol. They left him in there for an hour to have his way. That is not my opinion, that is the growing consensus among experts in that area

As we have seen in recent years, there can be a complete breakdown of law and order and local, state, and federal authorities may not able or willing to take action. That is an unfortunate reality. We have also seen that the world is not in a post-history status--- wars and conflicts can break out unexpectedly and citizens have the right to defend themselves and their communities

I don't think you read my response or looked at the data link I provided? Looking at GUN violence only is misleading. Look at ALL violent crime. An argument could be made that more guns (I don't have the causation data but maybe it exists?) may lead to more gun suicides and gun crimes but MAY also REDUCE overall violent crime. (e.g. DC has pretty strict gun laws but is quite dangerous overall)

The idea that NH is more dangerous then NY, CA, MA is ridiculous and better represented by looking at overall violent crime

Sidebar, there is so much cognitive dissonance it is almost humorous. Right after George Floyd, the knee jerk reaction was to defund the police, reduce police, encourage / excuse riots and crime, and we were/are told in no uncertain terms that the government, the police, the military were racist, corrupt, and incompetent institutions that were/are irredeemable.

If that teen in Uvalde had a knife or a handgun he could have killed just as well, he did not need an AR-15. The school door was left propped, and the police response did not, in any way, follow a proper active shooter protocol. They left him in there for an hour to have his way. That is not my opinion, that is the growing consensus among experts in that area

As we have seen in recent years, there can be a complete breakdown of law and order and local, state, and federal authorities may not able or willing to take action. That is an unfortunate reality. We have also seen that the world is not in a post-history status--- wars and conflicts can break out unexpectedly and citizens have the right to defend themselves and their communities
agreed.....but we dont know if the door was propped open. The teacher who closed it said she closed it. We also dont know if he was holding live kids hostage while the police were outside the door. I havent heard any accounts of the shooter visible through windows. Who knows.

The founding fathers didnt write the constitution and the 2nd amendment in regards to a hunting trip. it was wirtten specifically for an over-reaching government....whcih is exactly what we have now.

Reactions: 3 users

okay, lets look at the data.

Hawaii - 11th
Massachusetts - 20
New Jersey - 6
Rhode Island - 8
New York - 26
Conn - 6
California - 36
Minnesota - 14
New Hampshire - 2
Nebraska - 23

yes, more of the states on the lowest gun homicide rate have lower violent crime rates, but states such as NY, Mass, California, Nebraska are smack dab in the middle of the group with lowest homicide.

conversely, states with the highest violent crime rate/homicide rate
Alaska 1st violent crime, 6 homicide
New Mexico 2nd violent crime, 7 homicide
Tennessee 3rd violent crime, 10 homicide
Arkansas 4th violent crime, 8 homicide
Arizona 5th violent crime, 20 homicide
Louisiana 6th violent crime, 2 homicide
Missouri 7th violent crime, 4 homicide
South Carolina 8th violent crime, 9 homicide
South Dakota 9th violent crime, 30 homicide
Michigan 10th violent crime, 24 violent crime.

and as another comparison, comparing lowest death rates to strictness of gun laws, using the first list
Hawaii Grade A-
Massachusetts Grade A-
Rhode Island Grade B+
New Jersey Grade A
New York Grade A-
Conneticut Grade A-
California Grade A
Minnesota Grade C+
New Hampshire Grade F
Nebraska Grade C

agreed.....but we dont know if the door was propped open. The teacher who closed it said she closed it. We also dont know if he was holding live kids hostage while the police were outside the door. I havent heard any accounts of the shooter visible through windows. Who knows.

The founding fathers didnt write the constitution and the 2nd amendment in regards to a hunting trip. it was wirtten specifically for an over-reaching government....whcih is exactly what we have now.
door failed to lock.

they were calling 911, and 911 operator was reporting that there were kids inside. he may not have had his phone, which is ludicrous. the gunman was in a closet when they came in to the room.

regardless, under NO police training does it say to wait. modern law enforcement apparently all say he should have engaged the gunman immediately and not wait.

in fact, the police chief Arredondo never sent anyone in. Border Patrol ignored his orders and went in on their own.

---

the Founding Fathers didnt specifically state that a person has the right to bear arms.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

all "rights" have constrictions. there are limitations to the 1st amendment.

the 3rd amendment has been violated multiple times, during wartime (occupation of a home by military forces)

you can plead the 5th (right against self-incrimination), but a jury and court can use the implication of pleading the 5th as an assumption of guilt.

up until Brown vs Board, some have argued the 14th Amendment was institutionally violated.

and politicians limited the 15th amendment by imposing restrictions to the right to vote. literacy tests, taxes. and technically, now, voter ID.

oh but wait, the last 2 examples are examples of racism embedded in government institution... thats CRT! we cant teach that!!!

door failed to lock.

they were calling 911, and 911 operator was reporting that there were kids inside. he may not have had his phone, which is ludicrous. the gunman was in a closet when they came in to the room.

regardless, under NO police training does it say to wait. modern law enforcement apparently all say he should have engaged the gunman immediately and not wait.

in fact, the police chief Arredondo never sent anyone in. Border Patrol ignored his orders and went in on their own.

---
the investigation isnt over, and usually takes months, so your "facts" might change, and then the experts might change their opinion. Im all for killing the guy ASAP....dont get me wrong. Where did you read he was in a closet?

door failed to lock.

---

the Founding Fathers didnt specifically state that a person has the right to bear arms.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

all "rights" have constrictions. there are limitations to the 1st amendment.

the 3rd amendment has been violated multiple times, during wartime (occupation of a home by military forces)

you can plead the 5th (right against self-incrimination), but a jury and court can use the implication of pleading the 5th as an assumption of guilt.

up until Brown vs Board, some have argued the 14th Amendment was institutionally violated.

and politicians limited the 15th amendment by imposing restrictions to the right to vote. literacy tests, taxes. and technically, now, voter ID.

oh but wait, the last 2 examples are examples of racism embedded in government institution... thats CRT! we cant teach that!!!
Okay, let's clarify a few misconceptions here.

1. The 2nd amendment states "the right of the people", so yes, the people have the right to bear arms. This has been reinforced repeatedly by the supreme court.

2. I have not been able to find many cases of the 3rd amendment being violated, and for those few instances when it was, nobody sued.

3. If one pleads the fifth, the jury is not supposed to view that as an assumption of guilt. Only the facts.

4. Agree the 14th amendment has been violated repeatedly, even after brown vs board.

5. The 15th amendment only applies to "race, color, or previous condition of servitude". Literacy tests were outlawed because they were "clearly intended to deny the vote to African Americans". The poll taxes was perfectly legal under the 15th amendment and only outlawed in the 24th.

Requiring voter ID does not deny the right to vote due to "race, color, or previous condition of servitude". There are arguments that those who are homeless, uneducated, and poor are disproportionally black and latino, and thus voter ID laws are an "undue burden", but this is highly debated.

6. If you want to see a highly violated amendment, stick to the 10th.

Reactions: 2 users
okay, lets look at the data.

Hawaii - 11th
Massachusetts - 20
New Jersey - 6
Rhode Island - 8
New York - 26
Conn - 6
California - 36
Minnesota - 14
New Hampshire - 2
Nebraska - 23

yes, more of the states on the lowest gun homicide rate have lower violent crime rates, but states such as NY, Mass, California, Nebraska are smack dab in the middle of the group with lowest homicide.

conversely, states with the highest violent crime rate/homicide rate
Alaska 1st violent crime, 6 homicide
New Mexico 2nd violent crime, 7 homicide
Tennessee 3rd violent crime, 10 homicide
Arkansas 4th violent crime, 8 homicide
Arizona 5th violent crime, 20 homicide
Louisiana 6th violent crime, 2 homicide
Missouri 7th violent crime, 4 homicide
South Carolina 8th violent crime, 9 homicide
South Dakota 9th violent crime, 30 homicide
Michigan 10th violent crime, 24 violent crime.

and as another comparison, comparing lowest death rates to strictness of gun laws, using the first list
Hawaii Grade A-
Massachusetts Grade A-
Rhode Island Grade B+
New Jersey Grade A
New York Grade A-
Conneticut Grade A-
California Grade A
Minnesota Grade C+
New Hampshire Grade F
Nebraska Grade C

The three safest states for violent crime (we will exclude PR for mult reasons) all have fairly non restrictive gun laws. Now an argument could be made that these are fairly rural, homogenous states and that is why crime is low, but that would also suggest there are other significant factors, other than gun ownership, that greatly influence crime and danger

You can look at the safest ten as well and it is a mix of states when it comes to gun laws, but these are the three safest

23px-Flag_of_Vermont.svg.png
Vermont
23px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.png
Puerto Rico
23px-Flag_of_New_Hampshire.svg.png
New Hampshire
19px-Flag_of_Maine.svg.png
Maine

The three safest states for violent crime (we will exclude PR for mult reasons) all have fairly non restrictive gun laws. Now an argument could be made that these are fairly rural, homogenous states and that is why crime is low, but that would also suggest there are other significant factors, other than gun ownership, that greatly influence crime and danger

You can look at the safest ten as well and it is a mix of states when it comes to gun laws, but these are the three safest

Vermont
Puerto Rico
New Hampshire
Maine

do the authorities confiscate your guns when you cross state lines?

federal laws need to be changed

do the authorities confiscate your guns when you cross state lines?

federal laws need to be changed
actually yes, although I am not a firearm expert, enthusiast, or collector; my understanding is gun owners need to be very careful when entering many blue states lest face jail time and confiscation.

actually yes, although I am not a firearm expert, enthusiast, or collector; my understanding is gun owners need to be very careful when entering many blue states lest face jail time and confiscation.
my point is that the guns used in these statistics can be bought anywhere. state-based data has more to do with demographics and socioeconomic factors. lots of gun crime in chicago, but many of those same guns are purchased in indiana

my point is that the guns used in these statistics can be bought anywhere. state-based data has more to do with demographics and socioeconomic factors. lots of gun crime in chicago, but many of those same guns are purchased in indiana
Could people buy guns in other countries?

the investigation isnt over, and usually takes months, so your "facts" might change, and then the experts might change their opinion. Im all for killing the guy ASAP....dont get me wrong. Where did you read he was in a closet?
multiple sources.

here is one that you might read:
Okay, let's clarify a few misconceptions here.

1. The 2nd amendment states "the right of the people", so yes, the people have the right to bear arms. This has been reinforced repeatedly by the supreme court.

2. I have not been able to find many cases of the 3rd amendment being violated, and for those few instances when it was, nobody sued.

3. If one pleads the fifth, the jury is not supposed to view that as an assumption of guilt. Only the facts.

4. Agree the 14th amendment has been violated repeatedly, even after brown vs board.

5. The 15th amendment only applies to "race, color, or previous condition of servitude". Literacy tests were outlawed because they were "clearly intended to deny the vote to African Americans". The poll taxes was perfectly legal under the 15th amendment and only outlawed in the 24th.

Requiring voter ID does not deny the right to vote due to "race, color, or previous condition of servitude". There are arguments that those who are homeless, uneducated, and poor are disproportionally black and latino, and thus voter ID laws are an "undue burden", but this is highly debated.

6. If you want to see a highly violated amendment, stick to the 10th.
easiest first -
1. "of the people" is not same as "individual". there is legal contention regarding this phrase. in addition, the amendment talks about "militia", not "individual".

2. The Constitution’s ignored stepchild: the Third Amendment

3. The 5th Amendment and Family Law
This is one of the ways that criminal cases are very different from civil cases. In civil cases, such as divorce cases or protective orders, you can still assert your Fifth Amendment privilege if necessary, but the judge or the jury is allowed to assume that “pleading the Fifth” means something bad for you. This is called an adverse inference.

4 . i would agree for the most part, but i do think that voter id laws are an undue burden, which you may not agree with.

5. The 5th Amendment and Family Law

In this sense, the Tenth Amendment is “but a truism.” United States v. Darby (1941). No law that would have been constitutional before the Tenth Amendment was ratified becomes unconstitutional simply because the Tenth Amendment exists. The only question posed by the Tenth Amendment is whether a claimed federal power was actually delegated to the national government by the Constitution, and that question is answered by studying the enumerated powers, not by studying the Tenth Amendment. That was the understanding of the Supreme Court for nearly two centuries.

Nonetheless, beginning in 1976, a line of cases has emerged that seems to give substantive constitutional content to the Tenth Amendment.

actually, its the other way around. since guns are so easy to obtain here, they are bought then transported OUT. typically to mexico to the cartels.

Vermont
Puerto Rico
New Hampshire
Maine
to expand on this: each of these states with lower violent crime rates but looser gun laws have higher mortality rates than states that have higher violent crime rates but stricter gun laws.

New York (5), New Jersey (3), Massachusetts (2), Rhode Island (4), Connecticut (6) all have lower firearm mortality rates lower than New Hampshire (9), Maine (11), and Vermont (14)

most guns used in violent crimes in NY actually come from states with looser gun restrictions.

74%​

Originated Out-of-State​

34,344 of the 46,514 recovered guns with a known source state originated outside of New York – well above the national average. Almost half of these guns originated in six states known to have weak gun laws.

new york gun iron pipeline.GIF

homicides, and especially suicides are often impulsive events. the tulsa shooter bought a gun 3 hours before the shooting. remind me again why there isnt a mandatory grace period?

Murder is a different beast than suicide. Murder by definition, is planned. Gun grace periods don't stop people who plan to kill.

As a psychiatrist, I have seen an involuntarily committed patient, who had their firearms removed, patiently bide their time and make good on their threat to kill their intended target months later. Guns aren't even needed to kill multiple people. I've encountered more patients in the corrections system who killed multiple people with anything but a gun: knives, hands, bats, cars, gasoline etc.

But, most gun homicides are of the everyday Chicago or D.C. variety that are so common and not sensationalistic: gang-related shootings, robberies and carjackings. I don't think the typical criminal is going to follow gun waiting periods or bans.

Murder is a different beast than suicide. Murder by definition, is planned. Gun grace periods don't stop people who plan to kill.

As a psychiatrist, I have seen an involuntarily committed patient, who had their firearms removed, patiently bide their time and make good on their threat to kill their intended target months later. Guns aren't even needed to kill multiple people. I've encountered more patients in the corrections system who killed multiple people with anything but a gun: knives, hands, bats, cars, gasoline etc.

But, most gun homicides are of the everyday Chicago or D.C. variety that are so common and not sensationalistic: gang-related shootings, robberies and carjackings. I don't think the typical criminal is going to follow gun waiting periods or bans.
Are you implying that new firearm laws will mainly affect law abiding citizens and not criminals? I'm shocked I tell you ;)

this is no push or call to action to limit gun deaths related to hardened criminals. hardened criminals are not the ones committing sensational mass shootings.

i believe most of the gun regulations being discussed are to limit mass murders of people and in places of vulnerability - schools, churches, stores.

look at the shootings that have sparked the greatest fear - Parkland, Newtown, Uvalde, Columbine. schoolchildren, killed by an "adult" less than 21 years of age with semi-automatic weapons.

your experience is not what seems to be the case statistically:

View attachment 356134
Am I misreading this or are "assault rifles" more of a boogey man than the statistically significant cause of our high murder rates? Why aren't we calling for outlawing handguns (and appendages)?

• Hmm
Is it easier or harder to traffic weapons today? IIRC you previously advocated a “smart wall” and “big door” policy, which I strongly support.
You do RC.

Probably easier today.

Is it illegal to traffic guns from Georgia to NY? If so, then enforce the laws.
and they are.

however, it is far too easy for anyone to buy guns in a gun lenient state and bring them to a stricter state.

an easier and safer method is for those lenient gun states which have higher gun mortality to actually do something on their end.

So, extrapolating from this observation, do you think making guns more difficult to get in the US might result in guns being be transported from other countries?
in NY and these areas, the guns are not coming from out of the US. they are coming from neighboring states.

they sure arent coming from Canada. guns were smuggled from the US in to Canada.

I won't pretend I have the answer here.

I guess at this point we would probably just keep repeating our points. That's when it can start getting annoying. It was nice chatting with you about this anyway. Unlike most opinions on this matter, I see yours are well thought out and come from an educated position.

Are you Muslim by the way? I'm assuming you are. I've recently been dealing with many Muslims. They seem to like to eat goats and I also think sheep. I'm going to start raising them soon and sell them to them. They do the butchering to keep them Halal. In the meantime, I've been selling them fencing for the ones who like to raise them themselves.
Yes you are correct. And you would be right that I am a big fan of lamb... I think sheep is more popular than goats might be easier to raise on less resourceful land (I think?) so tend to be popular as well.

You seem quite busy raising animals, your farm, and all the hands on you do with your real estate. If I'm not mistaken you have young kids as well? I think I remember you were cutting down on your clinic. I'm at a pretty standard 35-45 hours/week but with our little ones I can barely keep up when I'm not at work, hah. Maybe when the youngest is in school we'll have some more free time.

Yes you are correct. And you would be right that I am a big fan of lamb... I think sheep is more popular than goats might be easier to raise on less resourceful land (I think?) so tend to be popular as well.

You seem quite busy raising animals, your farm, and all the hands on you do with your real estate. If I'm not mistaken you have young kids as well? I think I remember you were cutting down on your clinic. I'm at a pretty standard 35-45 hours/week but with our little ones I can barely keep up when I'm not at work, hah. Maybe when the youngest is in school we'll have some more free time.
I think, but am not sure that, sheep and goats are similarly raised per acre but the grazing habits might be slightly different. Not up to that part yet because I have to first finish my fencing. I would've already been done with it but for various reasons, I've been renovating properties for about the past year and a half. I've also put my orchard in since it will take a few years to fruit and I wanted to get it done. But I'll be back to the fencing very soon and then on to livestock. About 40 acres done so far and about 76 to go but I'm getting there. One step at a time so I don't ever feel overwhelmed.

The above are just my hobbies and I cut back in my clinic so I can spend my time doing them. I do have young children and most of my free time is spent with them.

There's only so much time in the day and if it has to come from somewhere I'd rather it come from my clinic since that holds the least importance to me at this point in my life. I guess having that option is one of the benefits of working for yourself.

--------

There's actually a Halal slaughterhouse, and a Mosque for that matter, not too far from me. I think you know where I'm located. I'm going to work with them once I get going. I think, but again am not sure that, goats might be more popular overall because they seem to be commonly eaten by Muslims, Central Americans, Africans, and people from the Caribbean but I guess I'll just see what happens. The hard part will be not getting attached to the animals and seeing them as pets. I don't like to see suffering but I have more respect for the people who slaughter their own animals than those who think meat comes from the supermarket.

easiest first -
1. "of the people" is not same as "individual". there is legal contention regarding this phrase. in addition, the amendment talks about "militia", not "individual".

2. The Constitution’s ignored stepchild: the Third Amendment

3. The 5th Amendment and Family Law

4 . i would agree for the most part, but i do think that voter id laws are an undue burden, which you may not agree with.

5. The 5th Amendment and Family Law
1. Two recent Supreme Court decisions (District of Columbia vs. Heller and McDonald vs. City of Chicago) assert an individual's right to bear arms.

2. Read that article and others. I didn't see many violations of the 3rd amendment, and those that were clearly legitimate (quartering troops in the Aleutian islanders homes during WW2 and FDR's Japanese concentration camps for example), did not get prosecuted under the 3rd amendment and instead were given a one time cash payment as an apology.

3. Fair enough, I appreciate the rabbit hole this brought me through. To clarify though, in a Criminal case the jury cannot assume that pleading the 5th infers guilt. In a Civil case a jury can only infer guilt from pleading the 5th if the judge instructs them to. Even so, this is highly variable and not always the case.

4. Opinions differ.

5. I don't think you posted the link you wanted to, but I read the Darby decision. It states that the 10th amendment wasn't violated by the FLSA because it related to interstate commerce, which is an enumerated power of the Federal government in the Constitution.