AACPMAS 2017/2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I only shadowed a private practice doc so forgive my ignorance...

But do you mean stuff like x-rays, MRI's, etc.???
What if peoples insurances dont cover ancillary services?

He's had patients that have to go to an imaging center for X-rays because their insurances do NOT cover him doing the xrays there at his own place (he has an X-ray machine). So I'm guessing he doesn't make a dime off of them.
How are you going to say that’s just for podiatry (even if it’s just a pod practice)? Like that doesn’t happen with every other specialty that needs ancillaries whether they are solo practices or groups or whatever? Yes podiatrists generate a lot of money for practices and hospitals that’s a non-debeatable fact.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are you going to say that’s just for podiatry? Like that doesn’t happen with every other specialty that needs ancillaries? Yes podiatrists generate a lot of money for practices and hospitals that’s a non-debeatable fact.

So basically if any doctor wants to see the financial benefits of ancillary services, he/she has to OWN the medical group practice right? If they're an employee, than the owners or hospitals gets the dough?

So basically if any doctor wants to see the financial benefits of ancillary services, he/she has to OWN the medical group practice right? If they're an employee, than the owners or hospitals gets the dough?
It’s going to depend on a number of things if you’re billing insurance for ancillaries and thereby contributing more to overhead you’re going to get part of that overhead percentage that you’re generating for your practice or group (MSG/pod practice/ortho). If you’re salaried then only accept a salary you think is fair for all the money you are or could be generating.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. I just made my account a second ago, but have been following these forums for 2 years now. lol

I have my transcripts sent in and received, and my mcat sent in an uploaded to my app. It's been almost 2 months since I sent my transcripts and mcat in to the aacpmas. But, it does not show any grade on the "verified grade/credits" section of the downloadable app that gets sent to each school. Now, I have NOT actually submitted/payed yet (being lazy on the PS lol). So, is it only supposed to show the verified stuff AFTER I actually apply and pay or is something wrong?

Hey guys. I just made my account a second ago, but have been following these forums for 2 years now. lol

I have my transcripts sent in and received, and my mcat sent in an uploaded to my app. It's been almost 2 months since I sent my transcripts and mcat in to the aacpmas. But, it does not show any grade on the "verified grade/credits" section of the downloadable app that gets sent to each school. Now, I have NOT actually submitted/payed yet (being lazy on the PS lol). So, is it only supposed to show the verified stuff AFTER I actually apply and pay or is something wrong?
I think you have to pay and submit for anything to happen.

I think you have to pay and submit for anything to happen.

I see. Thank You.

Did anyone see this? (scroll to post #34). New pods fresh out of residency having issues with finding jobs, even without any geographic limitations. The post was just made last month. Should we/I be worried?
Job postings information thread

Also, hospitals telling him they do NOT hire DPM's at all?!!!!! huh? :(

I see. Thank You.

Did anyone see this? (scroll to post #34). New pods fresh out of residency having issues with finding jobs, even without any geographic limitations. The post was just made last month. Should we/I be worried?

You've been lurking 2 years but you've only now found this out?

Reactions: 2 users
You've been lurking 2 years but you've only now found this out?

Well the post is only a month old. But it's a huge forum man. lol
I've been pre-EVERYTHING. So I've been reading spurts from all of the different categories on the first page lol.

I see. Thank You.

Hopefully new grads who finished residencies could comment on this.

Always gotta keep your options open.

Well the post is only a month old. But it's a huge forum man. lol
I've been pre-EVERYTHING. So I've been reading spurts from all of the different categories on the first page lol.

Hopefully new grads who finished residencies could comment on this.

He is a new grad that commented on the issue. And the subsequent responses from the actual podiatrists and moderator were not good either. It's a darn shame too. I really felt like after 5 years of switching b/w dental, pharm, PT, MD/DO......that I had found my niche/calling in the healthcare field. But I guess it's better I know about it now than after I get into school. lol. There's not much in the md/do world that I'd be interested in other than ortho or rads, plus it's an extra year to have to wait to apply. :(:thumbdown:

The issue is, outside of MD/DO, there are no healthcare options that guarantee a job. PharmD or Optometry? Take a look over at their respective forums, it is a nightmare there. Oversatuation is plaguing both fields.

Dentistry? Much better gig than PharmD and OD, but there is still lots of saturation in heavy populated areas. Tuition is also CRAZY. You read the forums seeing people coming out with 500K+ in loans.

NP/PA? Great in your 20s and 30s, but then when you are old and grumpy in your 40s and 50s, how much will you like being bossed around by a hot shot 30 year old MD? Plus, they are expanding like crazy. You are replaceable.

Podiatry doesnt sound like a bad deal in comparison. Worse comes to worse, open up you own shop, buy a podiatry chair for 2K and start grinding out nails, calluses, ingrowns, and other small procedures making 120K/year until you find a surgery center, hospital, or Private Practice group to do more complex surgeries.

He is a new grad that commented on the issue. And the subsequent responses from the actual podiatrists and moderator were not good either. It's a darn shame too. I really felt like after 5 years of switching b/w dental, pharm, PT, MD/DO......that I had found my niche/calling in the healthcare field. But I guess it's better I know about it now than after I get into school. lol. There's not much in the md/do world that I'd be interested in other than ortho or rads, plus it's an extra year to have to wait to apply. :(:thumbdown:

Reactions: 1 users
The issue is, outside of MD/DO, there are no healthcare options that guarantee a job. PharmD or Optometry? Take a look over at their respective forums, it is a nightmare there. Oversatuation is plaguing both fields.

Dentistry? Much better gig than PharmD and OD, but there is still lots of saturation in heavy populated areas. Tuition is also CRAZY. You read the forums seeing people coming out with 500K+ in loans.

NP/PA? Great in your 20s and 30s, but then when you are old and grumpy in your 40s and 50s, how much will you like being bossed around by a hot shot 30 year old MD? Plus, they are expanding like crazy. You are replaceable.

Podiatry doesnt sound like a bad deal in comparison. Worse comes to worse, open up you own shop, buy a podiatry chair for 2K and start grinding out nails, calluses, ingrowns, and other small procedures making 120K/year until you find a surgery center, hospital, or Private Practice group to do more complex surgeries.

Yeah I agree on all fronts.

Shoot. 120k to be my own boss and have a relatively stress free "easy" work environment doing routine podiatry care doesn't sound bad to me at all. The issue is, you can't just "open your own" place so easily anymore. It'll be a pain to get into the insurance networks and have other docs refer out to you. And given that alot of private practice is being bought out or shutting down among md/do, they will just refer to pods in their network or organization if they need to.
The fact that new pod resident grads are having trouble finding quality jobs is what "shocks" me. When you shadow or go to preview days, they make it seem like everything is going great in the podiatry world. lol. But I guess everyone's a "salesman" these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its not just Pod schools, its all schools. I went to an information seminar for Pharmacy and the spin on the market outlook they were selling was a work of art. "Population getting older" "More Baby Boomers" blah blah blah yeah we all heard it before.

Personally, besides dentistry, I think podiatry is the best of the non MD/DO professions out there. You look at the strides Pods have made. Ten years ago, there were people still graduating with a 1 year residency. Five years ago, hospitals hiring DPMs was rare.

Do your research, decide whats best for you.

The fact that new pod resident grads are having trouble finding quality jobs is what "shocks" me. When you shadow or go to preview days, they make it seem like everything is going great in the podiatry world. lol. But I guess everyone's a "salesman" these days.

Its not just Pod schools, its all schools. I went to an information seminar for Pharmacy and the spin on the market outlook they were selling was a work of art. "Population getting older" "More Baby Boomers" blah blah blah yeah we all heard it before.

Personally, besides dentistry, I think podiatry is the best of the non MD/DO professions out there. You look at the strides Pods have made. Ten years ago, there were people still graduating with a 1 year residency. Five years ago, hospitals hiring DPMs was rare.

Do your research, decide whats best for you.

It is moving the right direction so there's that. Plus, in SEVEN years, it might even be better based on the direction the field is headed. More people will know what podiatry is/does, and thus, will hopefully hire more of us or utilize our training.

Here are my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I am a 3rd year resident right now and while I will be doing an ACFAS fellowship next year, I was also job hunting simultaneously. I had either offers or strong interest from medium-sized pod groups, 2 major hospital systems, and 1 major academic institution.

I think the connections and national network your program has is important. Who you know and being in the right place at the right time is oftentimes more important than your clinical and surgical skills.

Reactions: 4 users

I am a 3rd year resident right now and while I will be doing an ACFAS fellowship next year, I was also job hunting simultaneously. I had either offers or strong interest from medium-sized pod groups, 2 major hospital systems, and 1 major academic institution.

I think the connections and national network your program has is important. Who you know and being in the right place at the right time is oftentimes more important than your clinical and surgical skills.

If you can, I'd like to know why the desire to pursue a fellowship?

Did you do the Kaiser residency? My pod mentor told me that's one of the ones that can open alot of doors. Plus Kaiser has great pay and benefits for its employees.

Yeah me too. haha

The pods over on the pod forum says their not useful and just a way for pods to hire you at a cheaper rate.

A fellowship is not necessary for most graduates. If you do a fellowship you need a very specific reason to do one. Feeling like you need to do more bunions is not a good one. I will graduate with 3-4 times the minimum number of cases in all categories, so for me, that is not the primary reason.

My reasons to pursue one were a combination of 1) greater exposure to complex trauma, 2) ability to see all of my postop patients longitudinally, 3) desire to work in an academic institution/be on the lecture circuit, and 4) perhaps eventually aim for a leadership role such as the acfas executive board.

Being fellowship-trained also opens up certain doors. As an example, my institution requires faculty members to be fellowship-trained. Lastly, I think the network and hospital system that my fellowship program is based out of could be beneficial for my post-fellowship employment opportunities.

Did you do the Kaiser residency? My pod mentor told me that's one of the ones that can open alot of doors. Plus Kaiser has great pay and benefits for its employees.
no, not one of the Kaiser programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Kaiser is basically a hospital chain so you can probably get a lot of connections that way, with a good reputation. There are plenty of things that can open doors and not just residency.

Don’t spend too much time on SDN you can psych yourself out of anything from MD to optometry if you look hard enough. That’s when SDN is bad for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I sent my PS to a couple of pre-med/accepted med students and they said it's okay, but nothing spectacular. One of them said it would NOT fly for md/do PS, but he thinks for pod, they won't care as much about the PS as long as stats are there.

Half of the 4500 characters are just about me shadowing and eliminating the other healthcare fields I thought of; and the other half is about "why podiatry". Do you guys think that is a good idea or should I just erase all the non-pod stuff and just send in a shorter (~2800 characters) PS on why podiatry only?

I sent my PS to a couple of pre-med/accepted med students and they said it's okay, but nothing spectacular. One of them said it would NOT fly for md/do PS, but he thinks for pod, they won't care as much about the PS as long as stats are there.

Half of the 4500 characters are just about me shadowing and eliminating the other healthcare fields I thought of; and the other half is about "why podiatry". Do you guys think that is a good idea or should I just erase all the non-pod stuff and just send in a shorter (~2800 characters) PS on why podiatry only?
Leave it in there.

No point hiding it when they can see your file.

Own up to it so they don't question your loyalty.

EDIT: They do read through your PS. Whether it is strong or weak, that is your responsibility. My stats were weak but my PS was strong. They thoroughly picked through it during interviews.

Leave it in there.

No point hiding it when they can see your file.

Own up to it so they don't question your loyalty.

EDIT: They do read through your PS. Whether it is strong or weak, that is your responsibility. My stats were weak but my PS was strong. They thoroughly picked through it during interviews.

It wouldn't be on my file though. I never applied to any other field. So there is no "record" to file so to speak. lol
If I take it out, they might think that I have always wanted to be a pod. But if it's not really an issue that I bunny hopped b/w everything until I finally decided on pod, than I'll just leave it.

It wouldn't be on my file though. I never applied to any other field. So there is no "record" to file so to speak. lol
If I take it out, they might think that I have always wanted to be a pod. But if it's not really an issue that I bunny hopped b/w everything until I finally decided on pod, than I'll just leave it.
I think it'll play to your strengths leaving it in.

You can prove to them you've thoroughly looked at other fields and picked podiatry because X,Y,Z.

How long after verification do I have to prepare for interviews? lol

I was expecting my verification to take atleast a week or 2 but it got done in 2 days. Now I have to rush to buy a suit and make sure it fits right. hahah
Will I have atleast a week or 2 of "cushion" to book flights, buy a suit, etc.?

Yep, it’s going fast. Word on the street is that apps are way down this year. Now is the time ladies and gents, 4 years down the road you’ll have all the residency spots you could ever want.

I hope they don’t start closing down residencies since apps are down.

I was expecting my verification to take atleast a week or 2 but it got done in 2 days. Now I have to rush to buy a suit and make sure it fits right. hahah

Yep, it’s going fast. Word on the street is that apps are way down this year. Now is the time ladies and gents, 4 years down the road you’ll have all the residency spots you could ever want.

Yeah tell me about it. hehe

I think they probably would close or suspend them. It's a waste of money and time for the instructors if there aren't any residents to teach.

Starting to think I should have applied to the schools I wanted to go to at a later time in this cycle.. applied in October. Bummer! Hopefully apps are relatively down next cycle

they will probably give you 2-3 options to choose from.

Starting to think I should have applied to the schools I wanted to go to at a later time in this cycle.. applied in October. Bummer! Hopefully apps are relatively down next cycle

Why would applying now have an advantage over applying earlier? And you applied to school you don't want to go to?

It seems like only a few questions on the interview feedback page are actually ABOUT podiatry. The rest are about grades or even random things like favorite bands haha.

It says alot of interview are from 25-35 minutes long. The pod questions only take like what, 2 minutes to answer? What do we talk about or do after for the remaining 20-25 minutes? lol

They want to get to know you as a person. As a pod, ur going to have to connect to people and make them feel comfortable while you poke around their feet. I want my podiatrist to be smart funny and charming, and tell me no, it doesn’t look like you gained any weight from Christmas, why do you ask?

It seems like only a few questions on the interview feedback page are actually ABOUT podiatry. The rest are about grades or even random things like favorite bands haha.

It says alot of interview are from 25-35 minutes long. The pod questions only take like what, 2 minutes to answer? What do we talk about or do after for the remaining 20-25 minutes? lol

They want to get to know you as a person. As a pod, ur going to have to connect to people and make them feel comfortable while you poke around their feet. I want my podiatrist to be smart funny and charming, and tell me no, it doesn’t look like you gained any weight from Christmas, why do you ask?

Oh so just like "bar talk"? Like sports teams, hobbies, etc?

edit: well that was quick again. 2 schools already emailed me back to make accounts on their websites. Is this an interview invite or just a step before getting an II?

Last edited:
Why would applying now have an advantage over applying earlier? And you applied to school you don't want to go to?

You don't think there would be additional leverage on my half if there are less applicants in the spring time? And to clarify, I meant schools I would rather go to location-wise.

Hey guys, how long after verification does it take to

I don't think that would be the case. IF they wanted a student, they will try and scoop him/her up right away for fear of losing out on them. That holds true whether its now or last august. You can still apply can't you? You just have to lose the deposit

I can apply but I did get a couple interviews and rejections so I'll come back next cycle as a better applicant!

Anyone going to Scholl? Any fb group started yet??
I am..there’s a general class of 22 group but I heard Scholl actually makes one for the class so I guess we’re waiting for that

Hey guys, I recently applied, but still have to take the MCAT (on May), I heard back for an interview at Scholl and Kent. Do you guys think there's any chance NYCPM and Temple can get back to me before I take the MCAT for an interview?
Those are my primary choices due to location, that's why I ask.

Hey guys, I recently applied, but still have to take the MCAT (on May), I heard back for an interview at Scholl and Kent. Do you guys think there's any chance NYCPM and Temple can get back to me before I take the MCAT for an interview?
Those are my primary choices due to location, that's why I ask.

I'm not sure about NYCPM but I interviewed at Temple prior to having a MCAT score.

I had about a month before I went in for my interviews. I took about a week to pick a date to interview and then 3 weeks later I interviewed. However, I applied in October. You should be able to pick when you want to interview. The sooner the better :)

Did you decide on a school?

I had about a month before I went in for my interviews. I took about a week to pick a date to interview and then 3 weeks later I interviewed. However, I applied in October. You should be able to pick when you want to interview. The sooner the better :)

What's with AZPOD's tuition being so high?

The purple AACPM hand book (2016ish I think) had tuition at $38,628.

The green handbook (2017-2018) has it at $40,270. And NOW on MWU's own website, it's almost $42K.

What the hell's going on here? The other schools are still around the $35-38K range that it's been for a few years. The 2017-2018 handbook is still the current one and the price ALREADY went up lol. That book is barely a year old. Who do they think they are? Harvard? o_O :eek:

And I read on here that they don't give scholarships either? Are they guaranteeing their students $200k+ jobs or something to justify all this? hahah

Last edited:
It is the best Podiatry school. In terms of board pass rates and Residency placement, only DMU comes close. I believe AZPOD had 100% first time pass rate this year, and only 1 person did not get a residency last year because they applied to two programs, against the school's advice. Add in the integration with DOs and the state of the art facilities and yeah, tuition adds up pretty quick.

You think the Pod school's tuition is bad, check out their DO school.

Edit: also, look at their OD school's tuition, its only a couple thousand less, but the income gap between an OD and DPM is rather large. And look at their Dental tuition! Unless you are getting into a competitive specialty via the DO route, the DPM program seems like the best bang for your buck at Midwestern.

Edit Edit: Just checked out PharmD tuition. Its almost 60K! Who would pay that much money for Pharmacy school?

What's with AZPOD's tuition being so high?

The purple AACPM hand book (2016ish I think) had tuition at $36,628.

The green handbook (2017-2018) has it at $40,270. And NOW on MWU's own website, it's almost $42K.

What the hell's going on here? The other schools are still around the $35-38K range that it's been for a few years. The 2017-2018 handbook is still the current one and the price ALREADY went up lol. That book is barely a year old. Who do they think they are? Harvard? o_O :eek:

And I read on here that they don't give scholarships either? Are they guaranteeing their students $200k+ jobs or something to justify all this? hahah

Last edited:
It is the best Podiatry school. In terms of board pass rates and Residency placement, only DMU comes close. I believe AZPOD had 100% first time pass rate this year, and only 1 person did not get a residency last year because they applied to two programs, against the school's advice. Add in the integration with DOs and the state of the art facilities and yeah, tuition adds up pretty quick.

You think the Pod school's tuition is bad, check out their DO school.

Edit: also, look at their OD school's tuition, its only a couple thousand less, but the income gap between an OD and DPM is rather large. And look at their Dental tuition! Unless you are getting into a competitive specialty via the DO route, the DPM program seems like the best bang for your buck at Midwestern.

Edit Edit: Just checked out PharmD tuition. Its almost 60K! Who would pay that much money for Pharmacy school?

That's all fine and dandy, but it doesn't make sense. USC, a HUUUUUGGGGEEEEE private name brand school charges $56K for their MD program. Freaking Stanford is less than $60K lol. And you're telling me a couple fancy buildings warrants AZCOM to charge $66K for their DO school. I don't care how nice the facilities at MWU are or aren't. Logically, it just doesn't make sense. It's Glendale, AZ. Land is cheap there compared to the Bay and LA, electricity is cheaper, wages are lower, taxes are lower, literally EVERYTHING is cheaper in AZ compared to LA and Palo Alto. How in anyone's right mind are they justifying THAT much more for a lesser education (not knocking AZCOM but come on, it ain't no USC or Stanford). lol

Question about timelines...

Transcripts from two schools.

1st school: Sent 3/6, Rec'd & processed 3/14
2nd school: Sent 3/9 Today is 3/23 and nothing yet.

When is it appropriate to request transcript be sent out, AGAIN?

Thanks!

Question about timelines...

Transcripts from two schools.

1st school: Sent 3/6, Rec'd & processed 3/14
2nd school: Sent 3/9 Today is 3/23 and nothing yet.

When is it appropriate to request transcript be sent out, AGAIN?

Thanks!

Call AACPM and ask if it's the "to do" pile or something. Mail doesn't take that long to get delivered. Only other thing could be that your second school is being lazy and hasn't sent it yet. But it shouldn't take 2 weeks to put one piece of paper in an envelope and put it in the mail box lol.
Did you fill out a transcript request form from your school correctly?