AACPMAS 2017/2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ill be a doc soon

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the application opens in 5 days, why not?

Super excited to be applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
When do schools typically send out interview invites? Is it not til October or is sooner?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone suspect a large increase in applications due to competitiveness/loss of grade forgiveness from DO schools?

When do schools typically send out interview invites? Is it not til October or is sooner?

I think @Weirdy applied early in the cycle so he can answer it better.

But, overall, once your application is complete from AACPMAS (verified) and sent to your chosen schools, it can take as early as 24 hours for an interview invite. It all depends on your stats as well.

If anyone here is planning on taking the MCAT later in the year or in January 2018, you should still send your transcripts and try to complete the other parts of the app so it is quicker to verify once the MCAT score shows up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
does anyone suspect a large increase in applications due to competitiveness/loss of grade forgiveness from DO schools?
Good question. I dont think this will be that much of an issue. If someone wanted to go to Medical school their whole life, why would they change their career goals last minute? The grade replacement policy change was announced in January. I think people who were going to apply to DO schools this year will still apply, or they might do a post bacc to increase their competitiveness and apply next year. In response to this grade forgiveness policy change, The adcoms on this website told me that it doesnt matter what your gpa is anymore, what does matter is whether you can demonstrate you can succeed in medical school. Therefore, if someone's gpa is sub 3.0 like mine was last year, getting it above a 3.0 with a few semesters of post bacc would still make you competitive for DO schools, because "they value reinvention".

Now, I am guilty of this, however. I wanted to go to Medical school since I started college. I did a postbacc, and I was going to apply to DO schools this year. I was told that I would be competitive for DOs after this postbacc, but I still decided on Podiatry. I dont know if this counts, but my career switch has nothing to do with the change in the grade replacement policy.

Does anyone know how many applications ended there ended up being this year? I heard it was lower than previous years. Did every class end up being filled up?

Last edited:
This account was set up to give prepodiatry students direct access to current Temple students.

We may not be the best to ask application questions since the application process can change from year to year, but if anybody has questions, comments, or concerns about Temple Podiatry please direct them our way by tagging us, replying to us, or PMing us.

Good luck, everybody!

Does anyone know how many applications ended there ended up being this year? I heard it was lower than previous years. Did every class end up being filled up?
The number of incoming applications overall have been low the last couple of years but for the classes of 2020 and 2021 (the products of those low application cycles) Temple has still been able to fill their classes. Some schools perhaps could have but did not.

Application numbers normally fluctuate year to year, so with just a couple of low years in a row it's difficult to say whether it's a trend or a coincidence.

Regardless, the best time to apply to any school will always be early on, when the seats are the most empty and the scholarship funds are the most full.

Reactions: 1 user
What were this years average MCAT and GPA scores?

This account was set up to give prepodiatry students direct access to current Temple students.

We may not be the best to ask application questions since the application process can change from year to year, but if anybody has questions, comments, or concerns about Temple Podiatry please direct them our way by tagging us, replying to us, or PMing us.

Good luck, everybody!

Since we're students we're not normally privy to that information until the school releases it, which they haven't yet. We'll look into it and let you know the school's response.

Kent also filled its class this cycle with 126 students matriculating. I will post MCAT and GPA averages when they come out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there not a way to upload LORs from interfolio to the application? Or do the letters need to be sent to the schools separately>

Is there not a way to upload LORs from interfolio to the application? Or do the letters need to be sent to the schools separately>

All LORs are sent to your selected program through Interfolio.

You will have to sign up on Interfolio (there is a yearly fee), add the email addresses of everyone you're asking for a letter, once the letter is submitted, you will be notified. Once all LORs are submitted, you chose your program, pay the 6 bucks and submit!

All LORs are sent to your selected program through Interfolio.

You will have to sign up on Interfolio (there is a yearly fee), add the email addresses of everyone you're asking for a letter, once the letter is submitted, you will be notified. Once all LORs are submitted, you chose your program, pay the 6 bucks and submit!
Yeah I have my letters and stuff ready! I just didnt know if the letters were uploaded directly to the application like med and dental schools or if they are sent to the individual schools

Yeah I have my letters and stuff ready! I just didnt know if the letters were uploaded directly to the application like med and dental schools or if they are sent to the individual schools

I wish that was the case, would have made few things easier while saving a few bucks.

No/very minimally. The only thing that will happen for sure is DO stats dropping slightly. For every DO/MD reject whom still wants to pursue medicine you have to divide them among DPM, RN path, PA, PharmD, Opt, Overseas MD or other nonclinical. There are very few of us who want to look at crusty feet for the rest of our lives. Is it a bad thing we want to? No, but we shouldn't assume a jump in numbers with many other opportunities besides DPM.

No/very minimally. The only thing that will happen for sure is DO stats dropping slightly. For every DO/MD reject whom still wants to pursue medicine you have to divide them among DPM, RN path, PA, PharmD, Opt, Overseas MD or other nonclinical. There are very few of us who want to look at crusty feet for the rest of our lives. Is it a bad thing we want to? No, but we shouldn't assume a jump in numbers with many other opportunities besides DPM.

Agreed. Also, I see an increase in people applying for SMPs and other MS/grad programs to get into MD/DO schools.

To those interested, we have acquired recent TUSPM stats from David Martin, the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs.

Class of 2018
MCAT Average:
cGPA Average: 3.29
sGPA Average: 3.15
Class of 2019
MCAT Average:
cGPA Average: 3.3
sGPA Average: 3.17
Class of 2020
MCAT Average:
25 (500)
cGPA Average: 3.31
sGPA Average: 3.19
Class of 2021
MCAT Average:
cGPA Average: 3.26
sGPA Average: 3.1

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know what schools(if any) will extend an interview invitation without an MCAT score? Am looking to get application in early, I have everything except the MCAT. Taking it September 9 I think scores release October 10.
Thanks!

Does anyone know what schools(if any) will extend an interview invitation without an MCAT score? Am looking to get application in early, I have everything except the MCAT. Taking it September 9 I think scores release October 10.
Thanks!
Ive seen it happen before based on past forum posts.Even if you submit in October thats still pretty early.

Temple and Kent gave me an early interview, but I was also a late applicant with a high GPA. It varies person to person. NYCPM would not grant an interview without mcat.
Thanks!

At what time does the app open?

Are my peeps on the east coast able to access the application yet?

HELP!

So last year I made an account in AACPMAS just to see what the application was going to look like for this upcoming cycle and now it is asking if I want to start my reapplication. Should I just make a new account? I do not want to appear as a reapplicant/do the schools see that when I am applying?

Thanks!

Are you guys using your unofficial transcripts(one that you can print on your school website) when manually entering in your grades? I watched the video that AACPM provides in the application and they said should we should be entering grades in from your official transcripts because it will look totally different from your unofficial transcript.

If your unofficial transcript is current then you can definitely use that. I had all of my transcripts (official) mailed to me and that made things easier when applying.

HELP!

So last year I made an account in AACPMAS just to see what the application was going to look like for this upcoming cycle and now it is asking if I want to start my reapplication. Should I just make a new account? I do not want to appear as a reapplicant/do the schools see that when I am applying?

Thanks!

You will not be considered a re-applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any way to see if your MCAT scores are received by AACPMAS? Or do you just have to wait and hope that your application gets verified?

Is there any way to see if your MCAT scores are received by AACPMAS? Or do you just have to wait and hope that your application gets verified?

Once the score is received by the AACPMAS from AAMC, it will be reflected under standardized exams. I do not think you get an email notification and it takes 4-5 days to show up there, so you just have to keep checking.

Verification process begins once everything on your application is complete and submitted, including the MCAT score.

Once the score is received by the AACPMAS from AAMC, it will be reflected under standardized exams. I do not think you get an email notification and it takes 4-5 days to show up there, so you just have to keep checking.

Verification process begins once everything on your application is complete and submitted, including the MCAT score.

Great! Thanks for the help!

How does the AACPMAS receive your MCAT score? Do you have to request from the application portal for AAMC to send your MCAT score to the AACPMAS?

I took the MCAT last Thursday and I just feel like all I can do is wait... It's killing me! haha

How does the AACPMAS receive your MCAT score? Do you have to request from the application portal for AAMC to send your MCAT score to the AACPMAS?

I took the MCAT last Thursday and I just feel like all I can do is wait... It's killing me! haha

Yes, choose AACPMAS from AAMC (start typing "American" then select aacpmas from the list) and submit.

I hated the wait as well, but it'll get there. Best thing to do right now is preparing interviews and binge on Netflix..lol

Yes, choose AACPMAS from AAMC (start typing "American" then select aacpmas from the list) and submit.

I hated the wait as well, but it'll get there. Best thing to do right now is preparing interviews and binge on Netflix..lol
Thanks for the help!

Will there be a way to know what our calculated gpa is before we submit?

I am so nervous, can't believe this cycle is open now. I ended up traveling this summer and had to deal with a family death so it kind of ended up delaying my ability to find a podiatrist to shadow. I have emailed and gotten no response. Should I call or should I just walk in and ask for shadowing local podiatrists. I thought about calling the CA school (in my state) to see if they could help in get in touch with some podiatrists to shadow. Is that a good idea?
My dilemma is that I know a dpm who might write me a letter but I can't shadow because of some hospital policies. I'd rather get a letter from someone who I've worked with rather than just chatted about the profession.

Any input would be nice. Thank you for any help.

Will there be a way to know what our calculated gpa is before we submit?

Nope. You finish all the requirements for the app itself, choose a program, pay the money and submit. The verification process starts then and once it's complete you will be notified and only then you can see the GPAs breakdown on AACPMAS.

I am so nervous, can't believe this cycle is open now. I ended up traveling this summer and had to deal with a family death so it kind of ended up delaying my ability to find a podiatrist to shadow. I have emailed and gotten no response. Should I call or should I just walk in and ask for shadowing local podiatrists. I thought about calling the CA school (in my state) to see if they could help in get in touch with some podiatrists to shadow. Is that a good idea?
My dilemma is that I know a dpm who might write me a letter but I can't shadow because of some hospital policies. I'd rather get a letter from someone who I've worked with rather than just chatted about the profession.

Any input would be nice. Thank you for any help.

Sorry to hear man.

Your best chances to shadow someone would be from the Pod schools in Cali. Also, try your local DPMs. But showing your interest in the field by shadowing someone from a program is really good and can help you for admissions.

You can also fill out this form and hopefully, someone will get back at you:

Find a Mentor | DPM Mentors Network

GL!

Nope. You finish all the requirements for the app itself, choose a program, pay the money and submit. The verification process starts then and once it's complete you will be notified and only then you can see the GPAs breakdown on AACPMAS.
Contact the schools directly.

Contact both podiatry programs and tell them your case.

If you still can't find someone, get back to us.

So I took a couple of neuroscience courses, but they were listed as psychology. Should I list it as neuroscience or psychology? It was a neuroscience for neuro majors course but it was also offered to psychology majors as an elective.
The thing is, if I list it as psychology my science gpa would be higher as a result.
Would I be cheating the system if I list it as psychology?

Hi all,
Saw vague answers as to the experiences section of the app. Do we basically just put our resume in there?

Thanks!

So I took a couple of neuroscience courses, but they were listed as psychology. Should I list it as neuroscience or psychology? It was a neuroscience for neuro majors course but it was also offered to psychology majors as an elective.
The thing is, if I list it as psychology my science gpa would be higher as a result.
Would I be cheating the system if I list it as psychology?
Enter it exactly how it is detailed on your transcript and class description.

Any recommendations on submitting my application before all of my LORs are in? I will have two in by Monday, and I am currently shadowing a POD that is an extremely nice guy who I am sure would not oppose to writing me a 3rd letter. My application is complete as far as everything else is concerned though. I sent my transcripts in a couple days ago, they should be receiving them next week.

Any recommendations on submitting my application before all of my LORs are in? I will have two in by Monday, and I am currently shadowing a POD that is an extremely nice guy who I am sure would not oppose to writing me a 3rd letter. My application is complete as far as everything else is concerned though. I sent my transcripts in a couple days ago, they should be receiving them next week.
Send it.

Only school that absolutely requires lors before they accept your app is Scholl.

Under experiences are you guys calling shadowing that is something other than DPM(like MD, DO, PA, etc.) healthcare experience or extracurricular activities?
Thanks!

Hi all,
I started my application today despite having a sucky MCAT score of 487 but a GPA of 3.6. I scheduled to retake in September and I am just gonna go ahead an do the application :/ At this point I am just gonna wing it. I am so terrified however.

So I don't have the choice of Life Sciences to answer 'What's your major?' question. IDK how to go about with it. Also, in the personal information, in the other section, I am unable to save and continue. DO I have to answer all the questions despite most of them being optional?

As for LOR, I am yet to reach out to my faculty members. Shadowing a podiatrist currently and should have an LOR from him in a few weeks.