AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So when you guys are filling out your transcripts, do you know if it the subject section really matters?? Some of my classes that I have taken, like general science for example, dont really have a subject that they match up with because basic science isn't listed as an option to choose from. I want to make sure to get it right the first time!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to all nine but leaning more towards Scholl and Kent :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to all except NY and Barry. Pulling for Cali, DMU, or Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any particular reason people aren't applying in CA? Are the schools lower quality or something?

It's just a location for me too. Applying to Arizona was a stretch for me as well but I did it. I don't see myself going there even if I get in cause I wanna stay east coast

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shadowed physicians in the past for 25ish hours, but I have only been able to shadow a podiatrist for 4 hours. However, during this four hours I saw a lot of stuff. Do you think I should submit now as a current experience (because I plan on going back, just haven't found a date that works with her/my schedules) and explain how although it was four hours, it was extremely meaningful to me? Should I try and get the hour # up first? My stats seem to be right in line, but I'm not sure.

I only shadowed once(4 hours max) for my POD LOR and that was fine for all of the schools that I applied for this past April. I still got interviews to all four schools.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I understand how stressful this process is!

Reactions: 3 users
I only shadowed once(4 hours max) for my POD LOR and that was fine for all of the schools that I applied for this past April. I still got interviews to all four schools.

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I understand how stressful this process is!
Any acceptances? And what were your stats?

Any acceptances? And what were your stats?

Yeah, I got acceptances to all four, but I choose Kent. I'm still in my first week at Kent.

As for my stats, they were decent(I just don't like posting stats) , but if you want to know if you are "competitive", I would just look at what are the stats for the last few incoming classes for any of the 9 schools that you applying for. If your stats for above or within a few points(above or below) the stats for the school then you probably have a good chance for an interview invite. BUT stats are not the only thing that you are judged on when they are reviewing your application. Lastly, if you do post your stats to any post within this podiatry forum, remember that anyone commenting on your stats is not working for admissions so they don't have a clue if you will be given an interview spot or not. Contact admissions to find out if your stats are right for that school.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm a bit confused! I took a course in college called 'Science, Technology, & Society' and is listed as LBST 2213 (on my transcript). LBST stands for liberal studies, BUT under the Subject category there isn't a 'Liberal Studies' option. That course was basically related to biotechnology...so under Subject, should I choose 'Biotechnology'?

Or will that mess up the verification process?

Guys, I'm a bit confused! I took a course in college called 'Science, Technology, & Society' and is listed as LBST 2213 (on my transcript). LBST stands for liberal studies, BUT under the Subject category there isn't a 'Liberal Studies' option. That course was basically related to biotechnology...so under Subject, should I choose 'Biotechnology'?

I would call AACPMAS about it. They're really helpful and I've never been on hold for more than 10 minutes.

Doors anyone think it's worth letting aacpmas enter your course work?

Doors anyone think it's worth letting aacpmas enter your course work?
It does suck entering your coursework, but I did it anyway. They say to get an extra copy of your transcript for yourself so you can verify that they entered it correctly, so there is still a chance of it getting entered wrong and taking extra time to fix. Also, one of my institutions was not searchable in the AACPMAS system and apparently if they don't have that school on file you CAN'T request the professional transcript entry. Well, actually I could have requested it for my second school but I still would've had to enter all my first school's transcript anyway. So, I just entered it all myself but it does sound like an enticing option.

I answered the additional questions for NYCPM, but it won't let me click the "submit my answers" button. It just stays inactive. I e-mailed aacpmas but no response yet. Anyone else have this issue?

Members don't see this ad :)

I took a class my junior year titled Science in Society: Ethics, Values, and Politics and put "social science" as the subject. It definitely wasn't in the same vein as any BCPM class, so I steered away from any subject that could be considered in that GPA

I answered the additional questions for NYCPM, but it won't let me click the "submit my answers" button. It just stays inactive. I e-mailed aacpmas but no response yet. Anyone else have this issue?
It wouldn't let me submit that form until I typed "N/A" into the boxes under If you are related to any NYCPM graduates, please list name (s), and graduation date (s). and If you are a previous applicant, please indicate the program term and year of application.

It is stupid that you have to type something into that box even if you select "No".

It wouldn't let me submit that form until I typed "N/A" into the boxes under If you are related to any NYCPM graduates, please list name (s), and graduation date (s). and If you are a previous applicant, please indicate the program term and year of application.

It is stupid that you have to type something into that box even if you select "No".
Yeah, thats's dumb. Thanks.

I took a class my junior year titled Science in Society: Ethics, Values, and Politics and put "social science" as the subject. It definitely wasn't in the same vein as any BCPM class, so I steered away from any subject that could be considered in that GPA

You're right! I called AACPMAS this morning and they told me to put the class under 'Social Science'.

I didn't realize biotechnology courses are added to sGPA. opps!

I'm applying to all of them, Muahahahahaha! But I'm pulling for Temple, Ohio, or Arizona. I'll try to schedule those three interviews first if possible.
Applying to pretty much all of them. Ideally I want to stay in Califonria, don't mind going to Temple. Anyone know the difference between the two dates for NYCPM? Is one better than the other?

Applying to pretty much all of them. Ideally I want to stay in Califonria, don't mind going to Temple. Anyone know the difference between the two dates for NYCPM? Is one better than the other?
If you start in January 2016 your first year is extra easy but by the second year you catch up with those who started in August 2016 and y'all graduate at the same time.

They say it's particularly nice if you've been out of school for a while, to kinda ease you back into things. I believe the cost is spread out so that you end up paying the same as those who start in the Fall. The only real con is the cost of living in New York for an extra 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
The online application system is so buggy...I can't count the number of times I've had to log back out and in or seen "System error please contact system administrator"

Should I mention in my personal statement that I applied to MD/DO schools before or would that raise a flag to the admission committee?

Should I mention in my personal statement that I applied to MD/DO schools before or would that raise a flag to the admission committee?

Personally I wouldn't do that. It might seem like podiatry is your backup and you wouldn't want that

I probably wouldn't do that, but it does ask you under Personal Information > Other Information which other health professions you have applied to or will apply to...so maaaaaybe if you wanted to explain how podiatry is NOT your backup in your personal statement (even if it really is), because otherwise they're just gonna ask you about it at your interviews...

Although, as I recall now ChellyBean, you were also thinking of omitting your osteopathic transcripts all together. So...I would assume that you would also omit that in your personal information and personal statement, correct? If you really are gonna go that route...

I've officially submitted everything. Now I wait :brb:

Reactions: 1 users
Although, as I recall now ChellyBean, you were also thinking of omitting your osteopathic transcripts all together. So...I would assume that you would also omit that in your personal information and personal statement, correct? If you really are gonna go that route...
Technically I went to that school for my SMP and withdrew deciding that MD/DO wasn't my cup of tea. I still wanted to do medicine, during my soul searching and job hunting I got a job a scribe for a podiatrist and thought "Hey, I kind like this! And its a different system. Count me in!" I'm still debating whether or not to omit my SMP grades since I never finished and it would only ruin my chances of getting accepted. But I don't want to start of school with bad ethics.

Can we submit applications before we have all of our LORs?

Yes because your LORs go directly to the schools and have nothing to do with AACPMAS or the verification of your application. When would you have all your LORs?

Submitted! Now the waiting game begins...

Yep. But it's to your benefit to make sure the schools have those letters before you interview...if nothing else, it gives you something else to talk about

Even though I only have four hours of shadowing a DPM, I described my experience in pretty nice detail, and the significance of it in my PS. I'm thinking of submitting now with the inclusion of my shadowing being ongoing through the next year and if they ask me about it during interview I can say that I've done ____ hours since submitting. Luckily my letters should be in by the end of the month, and then my pre-med advisors can send them out. My stats are fine, but I want to submit sooner than later since I've got another MCAT coming up in a month.

Actually, you click the "Save my response" button. If you answered "no" on any additional questions, make sure you respond "n/a" on the blank lines. Under "History with NYCPM," you check off any box in order to click the "Save my response" button as long as you answer all the additional questions. This is according to the AACPMAS caller I talked to. Hope that helps.

I'm a little confused on how the LOR's work. Are they mailed directly from the recommender? Or if they'll be sent them through interfolio should i set up an account or is it the recommender that creates the account?

Did you guys put your A+'es as A? I have a few A+ here and there, but i know AACPMAS scale only goes up to A.
Since it's telling me to enter everything exactly as it shows on my transcript, wondering if i should just leave it as A+.
I'm sure that's minor enough that they'll change it if they don't like the +'s?
I always thought it was pretty arbitrary that A's and F's didn't get + and - haha

I'm a little confused on how the LOR's work. Are they mailed directly from the recommender? Or if they'll be sent them through interfolio should i set up an account or is it the recommender that creates the account?
Your recommender can send it directly to each school, but I certainly didn't wanna make more work than necessary for anyone who wrote me an LOR. Make your own Interfolio account. You then initiate a request through Interfolio and you can email a coversheet/matching form to the recommender or print it out and hand deliver it to them. I hand delivered that cover letter with a prestamped preadressed envelope (I stamped and addressed them) to each letter writer. They mail their letter with that cover sheet to Interfolio. Interfolio uploads it and then you can send electronically or via email or via standard mail. It is $6.00 electronically or by email per delivery (except I believe NYCPM pays the fee for you) and prices vary on standard mail depending on how quickly you need it there. I believe that only 7 of the schools are available to send them electronically to. I had to email the LORs to Arizona and mail them to CSPM.

Last edited:
How long was the personal statement for you guys?
I'm only at 600 words. I think you can only go up to ~750 words (4500 characters). I don't wanna just write nonsense to get up 750 words so wondering if i should just call it a day with what i have.
I got up to around 3600-3700 characters. Somewhere around that. I tried to write more but it wasn't turning out too well after that.

As for my LORS, I have all of mine already (including the DPM letter) in sealed envelopes. My professors and the DPM just sealed them, signed over the seal, and gave them to me. Can I mail them myself to the pod schools or does my university have to?

How long was the personal statement for you guys?
I'm only at 600 words. I think you can only go up to ~750 words (4500 characters). I don't wanna just write nonsense to get up 750 words so wondering if i should just call it a day with what i have.
I'm at roughly 680 words or roughly 4050 characters. However I'm still editing, I want it to be phenomenal!

As for my LORS, I have all of mine already (including the DPM letter) in sealed envelopes. My professors and the DPM just sealed them, signed over the seal, and gave them to me. Can I mail them myself to the pod schools or does my university have to?
If you only have that one copy of each it might be better if you give them to your university and let them make a packet or make copies to send to the schools. You shouldn't open the envelopes yourself to make copies. Unless you already have one copy for each school then you can send them directly to the schools.

If you only have that one copy of each it might be better if you give them to your university and let them make a packet or make copies to send to the schools. You shouldn't open the envelopes yourself to make copies. Unless you already have one copy for each school then you can send them directly to the schools.

Everybody gave me 7 sealed and signed copies since I'm applying to 7 schools

I have a question about MCAT scores do I send them individual to each school or do I send them to AACPMAS and they send it to all the schools?

I have a question about MCAT scores do I send them individual to each school or do I send them to AACPMAS and they send it to all the schools?
"Release" your MCAT scores to AACPMAS through the AAMC website. Once verified, they will forward your score to the schools. Login to AAMC through the link below. Go to My Reports > Send Scores Electronically. Select the correct application service, then select Confirm and Send Scores to the right. After it's released it will be visible under My Reports > Scores Sent To Institutions.

https://apps.aamc.org/account/#/login?gotoUrl=https://services.aamc.org/30/scoreReportingWeb/

Last edited: