AACOMAS Grade Replacement Policy Announcement/Questions Regarding Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think we see a lot do people using grade replacement here because we were actively seeking out information on it, which usually leads to this site. SDN is FAR from representative of the matriculant population and I believe that the majority of DO students in fact do not utilize grade replacement. I think the bigger population of DO students would be the higher GPA but lower MCAT people (purely speculative btw). I think the majority of people who utilized grade replacement were non trads which I just don't think accurately reflects the majority of students. Based on this it's not far fetched to to think that the gpa statistics may in fact not be tremendously impacted.

With the expansion of schools though this may not be the case with the newer schools in particular. It's all speculation until we actually see results from the next cycle.
I spoke to several classmates telling them I was outraged this happened. You know what most said? "What? We could replace grades that were bad? I thought everything was averaged already."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
For those of you that this may apply to hopefully this will give you some relief. At my undergraduate college if you were wanted to replace a grade you filed a credit deficiency form. This stated that you would forfeit any credits from the initial attempt and would be stuck with the grade you received the second time, no matter if it was higher or lower than the initial attempt. So now on my transcript my initial attempt grade is shown but my school zero's out any credits attempted. I contacted AACOMAS and verified with them that this would stay the same when entered into the transcript verification as they state credits will be reflected exactly how they are shown on your official transcript. In verifying this they said that as long as my school 0.00 out all credits for the initial attempt, the grade from the initial attempt will not be considered in the cgpa on the AACOMAS application and will remain exactly like my school has it listed. I know that some schools will do this automatically without having to file any forms. So to anyone this may apply to, I would suggest checking your transcripts to see if your school has done something like this. Best of luck to everyone!

So I need some clarification for this. My school already does grade replacement. On my transcript it shows the attempts, but there are two different parts to the grade. Credits "attempted" and credits "earned". When I retake a class, the attempted amount remains but the "earned" is a zero. If I put these classes into aacomas as a zero and the retake as the credits earned, will this get me past this change???? Thiswould literally save my entire plan if this worked.

Jk aacomas wants credits attempted. **** my life so hard.

Last edited:
So I need some clarification for this. My school already does grade replacement. On my transcript it shows the attempts, but there are two different parts to the grade. Credits "attempted" and credits "earned". When I retake a class, the attempted amount remains but the "earned" is a zero. If I put these classes into aacomas as a zero and the retake as the credits earned, will this get me past this change???? Thiswould literally save my entire plan if this worked.

Jk aacomas wants credits attempted. **** my life so hard.

Yea this is a separate thing because the university I transferred to does the same thing as your school. I would definitely go talk to a counselor though, the academic renewal policy was deep in the policy handbook. If you went through a personal hardship too (and have it) documented some schools will let you retroactively withdraw from them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How likely is it that any DO schools will do their own personal calculations for grade replacements? I know it's still early on, but planning takes months/years so I, along with others would like to know the best course of action.

I was told by a few schools that they do not look at applicants before the submission of secondary applications. It is an automated system that "boots out" low GPA/MCAT scores. So, if you're like me with a 2.91 GPA before grade replacement, I don't qualify for most programs, and will totally be in trouble if I don't get in this cycle.

Only a few days left to change this semester's classes. so if you can help, I'd appreciate it!!!

Stats:
URM
cGPA 2.79
sGPA 2.71
>400 hours volunteering/working in healthcare as an ER Tech
>300 hours non-clinical community service
~50 shadowing hours
D1 student athlete

I graduated and returned to my college this semester to start retaking Biochem (F), Thermodynamics (F) and Differential Equations (D) along with upper science courses. Thermo and Diff EQ aren't required for medical school but obviously count toward my science GPA, except the math class. After this semester I was going to retake the classes I got C's in: Calc 2, Genetics, Chem 2. (I was told to start with the worst grades first and work my way up.)

Since grade forgiveness is no longer a thing, should I forget about classes that aren't pre-reqs (thermo, diff EQ, calc 2) and also forget about redoing any classes I got a C in? Should my focus only be on upper level science courses and then shoot for an SMP?

So for those of us who are non-trads with GPAs that will be dropping substantially next year, it appears that our best immediate option is to get our application out there to schools that might potentially accept us this late. Could anyone give me a little advice on which schools would be the best to target this late in the game with my stats? Does anyone traditionally give II's and acceptances a little later than others?
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.6
MCAT 505
Good volunteering experience. Working fulltime as a scribe.
cGPA drops to 2.8 after the change.

I can't recommend applying this late in the cycle. At this point you would probably be interviewing for a waitlist spot (assuming you get an interview in February or later).

Only a few days left to change this semester's classes. so if you can help, I'd appreciate it!!!

Stats:
URM
cGPA 2.79
sGPA 2.71
>400 hours volunteering/working in healthcare as an ER Tech
>300 hours non-clinical community service
~50 shadowing hours
D1 student athlete

I graduated and returned to my college this semester to start retaking Biochem (F), Thermodynamics (F) and Differential Equations (D) along with upper science courses. Thermo and Diff EQ aren't required for medical school but obviously count toward my science GPA, except the math class. After this semester I was going to retake the classes I got C's in: Calc 2, Genetics, Chem 2. (I was told to start with the worst grades first and work my way up.)

Since grade forgiveness is no longer a thing, should I forget about classes that aren't pre-reqs (thermo, diff EQ, calc 2) and also forget about redoing any classes I got a C in? Should my focus only be on upper level science courses and then shoot for an SMP?
If you're black, contact WesternU. I know someone with similar grades and had an MCAT of 21 in the old scale and still got in.

I can't recommend applying this late in the cycle. At this point you would probably be interviewing for a waitlist spot (assuming you get an interview in February or later).

I'm aware that it's unlikely... but which is more likely? Getting in now with my 3.4 cGPA or getting in next year with my 2.8 cGPA? I'm already 30, so I'm not sure if I would want to do a graduate program to give myself a better shot.

I'm aware that it's unlikely... but which is more likely? Getting in now with my 3.4 cGPA or getting in next year with my 2.8 cGPA? I'm already 30, so I'm not sure if I would want to do a graduate program to give myself a better shot.

Your core gpa isn't the whole story man. What's your science gpa? I assume you have an upward trend? Your ECs and clinical are solid. Hopefully you can get a DO lor.

I swear I've read the Adcoms that comment on these threads say a million times in the last few days that a year of very good post hacc is enough to make up for a bad core gpa. It sounds like you have that.

Your MCAT is pretty good. I think if you apply to the newer schools this upcoming cycle you could be successful.

If you apply this cycle, and don't get in, you will be a reapplication next year with a technically lower gpa. That would be a curveball for a lot of admissions.

I'm sorry you're negatively effected by this. I truthfully think you don't need to rush out an app now though, with your trend and good post bacc work

I am not sure which is more likely. It is like trying to compare apples with oranges because this year we have grade replacement and next year we won't. Psu228 put it pretty clearly. If you don't get in with this current cycle, applying next cycle with a lower gpa won't look that good to adcoms. It is a huge risk trying to apply this late in the cycle while only getting to interview for a waitlist spot at best.

Your core gpa isn't the whole story man. What's your science gpa? I assume you have an upward trend? Your ECs and clinical are solid. Hopefully you can get a DO lor.

I swear I've read the Adcoms that comment on these threads say a million times in the last few days that a year of very good post hacc is enough to make up for a bad core gpa. It sounds like you have that.

Your MCAT is pretty good. I think if you apply to the newer schools this upcoming cycle you could be successful.

If you apply this cycle, and don't get in, you will be a reapplication next year with a technically lower gpa. That would be a curveball for a lot of admissions.

I'm sorry you're negatively effected by this. I truthfully think you don't need to rush out an app now though, with your trend and good post bacc work

Yeah my post-bac is ~60 hours of 4.0. This includes every med school pre-req and the old grades that I replaced. I didn't have to replace any science classes, so I think my sGPA will remain 3.6. I had several F's and D's on my transcripts. I am actually getting a LOR from a DO later today. They're unicorns in my area, and even finding this one took some extensive networking. I applied relatively late this cycle (late October; I was waiting on LOR's), but I was rejected from the 1 new DO school that I got an II at. I can no longer afford to take out any student loans to repair my GPA.

I dunno... as I type this, it's starting to make me feel that I have a shot next year. It's just that I feel that sub-3.0 cGPA is gonna jump out at ADCOMS and put me at a huge disadvantage. I'm panicking a bit along with everyone else in my situation. I suppose I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (volunteering/scribing), gather my LOR's early, and apply broadly ASAP for next cycle if I don't magically get in this year. What's a few thousand more dollars when I'm already down 2 years and tens of thousands of dollars?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my post-bac is ~60 hours of 4.0. This includes every med school pre-req and the old grades that I replaced. I didn't have to replace any science classes, so I think my sGPA will remain 3.6. I had several F's and D's on my transcripts. I am actually getting a LOR from a DO later today. They're unicorns in my area, and even finding this one took some extensive networking. I applied relatively late this cycle (late October; I was waiting on LOR's), but I was rejected from the 1 new DO school that I got an II at. I can no longer afford to take out any student loans to repair my GPA.

I dunno... as I type this, it's starting to make me feel that I have a shot next year. It's just that I feel that sub-3.0 cGPA is gonna jump out at ADCOMS and put me at a huge disadvantage. I'm panicking a bit along with everyone else in my situation. I suppose I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (volunteering/scribing), gather my LOR's early, and apply broadly ASAP for next cycle if I don't magically get in this year. What's a few thousand more dollars when I'm already down 2 years and tens of thousands of dollars?
Dude I love your username. I just have one piece of advice for you Liz Lemon....

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Either way, I think you're ultimately going to get in somewhere. Your cGPA would be a minor hit on most schools overall matriculant class average, while your sGPA and MCAT are either on par or actually statistically improving for them. Your upward trend is tremendous. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Reactions: 1 user
Either way, I think you're ultimately going to get in somewhere. Your cGPA would be a minor hit on most schools overall matriculant class average, while your sGPA and MCAT are either on par or actually statistically improving for them. Your upward trend is tremendous. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks, man. I needed that positivity. I've never questioned myself as much as I have since starting this process. I know that I have what it takes, but I've had this nagging feeling that it's too late and that I'm wasting time and money because of my past failures. This sudden grade replacement policy change was a huge kick in the gut. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Reactions: 2 users
@Goro , @gonnif , @Catalystik , and @gyngyn

Is there any updated information on this grade replacement policy? I'm in a situation where I will be a re-applicant in 2017 because I wasn't able to complete my MCAT in time. My sGPA: 3.5 and cGPA: 3.2. using grade replacement, but now I will be below a sub-3.0 for both categories.

Will COMs continue to do grade replacement? Will I even get a secondary if I do not meet the minimum GPA cutoff (even though I met them this last year)?

What would be my best option going forward if nothing changes?

Any other update or light on the situation would help. Thank you.

Post bac or SMP time. Do well in those as well as MCAT and then aim for MD and DO

@Goro , @gonnif , @Catalystik , and @gyngyn

Is there any updated information on this grade replacement policy? I'm in a situation where I will be a re-applicant in 2017 because I wasn't able to complete my MCAT in time. My sGPA: 3.5 and cGPA: 3.2. using grade replacement, but now I will be below a sub-3.0 for both categories.

Will COMs continue to do grade replacement? Will I even get a secondary if I do not meet the minimum GPA cutoff (even though I met them this last year)?

What would be my best option going forward if nothing changes?

Any other update or light on the situation would help. Thank you.

Hey Rostam!

Make sure you email the schools about your GPA situation. Some schools will actually say a certain GPA will at least get looked by an ADCOM.

@Goro
Thank you for the speedy response! I've emailed a few admission directors and most of them pointed to their own post-bacc program rather than elaborating. From what I've gathered any SMP/ Masters (thesis/non-thesis)/ DIY post-bacc suffices as long as it contains some sort of graduate level science courses.
Please correct me if that is not true. Is there a preference for either of these routes (SMP/Regular Masters/ DIY post-bacc? Would an MPH be considered favorable or should the post-bacc be in the hard sciences? Thanks again.

@impervious0ne
I've emailed every single osteopathic school explaining my situation. From what I've gathered majority have said that they will not recalculate GPAs as it is now mandated by the AOA. None have said about changing their minimum requirements for a secondary however they mentioned that this WILL change their applicant pool and what is considered "competitive" may also change. Not much advice other than "complete a post-bacc" and "do well on the MCAT" has really been given.

Best of luck to everyone who has been affected by this change.

It doesn't matter.

An MPH is the LEAST favorable route because the coursework does not approach the rigor of medical schools.

A post-bac should be in courses that mimic those in med school.

@Goro
Thank you for the speedy response! I've emailed a few admission directors and most of them pointed to their own post-bacc program rather than elaborating. From what I've gathered any SMP/ Masters (thesis/non-thesis)/ DIY post-bacc suffices as long as it contains some sort of graduate level science courses.
Please correct me if that is not true. Is there a preference for either of these routes (SMP/Regular Masters/ DIY post-bacc? Would an MPH be considered favorable or should the post-bacc be in the hard sciences? Thanks again.

It doesn't matter.

An MPH is the LEAST favorable route because the coursework does not approach the rigor of medical schools.

A post-bac should be in courses that mimic those in med school.
I'm constantly amazed at how many people think an mph is impressive to schools that teach physicians

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, idk if this question is related but I'm concerned with how they're going to average grades. I've read in older threads that they can only average grades if the repeated course is has the same or higher in credits. In my situation I want to retake GenChem 2 lab and lecture at my local CC but the thing is my 4 yr university makes the lecture and lab 2 credits each while literally everywhere else including my CC makes the lecture and lab 3 credits, 1 credit respectively. So I know they can average my lecture grade but will they still average my lab grade if the retake is 1 credit?

Hey guys, idk if this question is related but I'm concerned with how they're going to average grades. I've read in older threads that they can only average grades if the repeated course is has the same or higher in credits. In my situation I want to retake GenChem 2 lab and lecture at my local CC but the thing is my 4 yr university makes the lecture and lab 2 credits each while literally everywhere else including my CC makes the lecture and lab 3 credits, 1 credit respectively. So I know they can average my lecture grade but will they still average my lab grade if the retake is 1 credit?
it doesn't matter, simply because they're all averaged together.

I changed my mind.

Last edited:
I had a feeling this was going to be implemented almost two years ago once the new AACOMAS application switched to a new company and people were already complaining how their grades weren't replaced during my cycle. Nobody believed me when I said it.

Feeling sorry for all who are affected.

However, schools do love reinvention, so as long as you meet the minimum GPA cutoff, you will be fine!

I had a feeling this was going to be implemented almost two years ago once the new AACOMAS application switched to a new company and people were already complaining how their grades weren't replaced during my cycle. Nobody believed me when I said it.

Feeling sorry for all who are affected.

However, schools do love reinvention, so as long as you meet the minimum GPA cutoff, you will be fine!
You did call it, I remember your post.

First of all, I want to just tell everyone to keep your heads up high. You made it this far, and if this is your dream, you will make it. Obviously this is going to take extra planning, extra finances, and extra time, but hold onto your goal, take everything step by step or you will get overwhelmed, talk to your mentors but understand all the final decisions and planning will be yours and yours only, and find someone (or multiple people) going through this process with you for moral support, encouragement, and accountability-->this has helped me the most by far...who truly understands what you are going through better than your future classmates? Finally, don't forget to take a deep breath every now and then, yoga style.

That said, I also want to emphasize that you should start researching/contacting each and every school you plan on applying to as early as possible to see how this change will affect your application for that school. Hopefully what I post below will be some good news for those who are understandably going through some pretty rocky emotions. There is always hope!

From the PCOM site for both PA and GA campuses:

"How will the change to the AACOM Grade Replacement Policy affect application review?

The Faculty Committee on Admissions follows a holistic approach in reviewing applications for the DO program at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and Georgia Campus - PCOM. Our committee members look not only at grades and test scores when evaluating applications, but also read the entire application as submitted by the applicant, along with the letters of recommendation and personal statements. There are no cutoffs or minimums. We send supplemental applications to all of our AACOMAS applicants. Our admissions process will continue to be what it has been and will be unaffected by the change in the AACOMAS policy."

Reactions: 5 users
First of all, I want to just tell everyone to keep your heads up high. You made it this far, and if this is your dream, you will make it. Obviously this is going to take extra planning, extra finances, and extra time, but hold onto your goal, take everything step by step or you will get overwhelmed, talk to your mentors but understand all the final decisions and planning will be yours and yours only, and find someone (or multiple people) going through this process with you for moral support, encouragement, and accountability-->this has helped me the most by far...who truly understands what you are going through better than your future classmates? Finally, don't forget to take a deep breath every now and then, yoga style.

That said, I also want to emphasize that you should start researching/contacting each and every school you plan on applying to as early as possible to see how this change will affect your application for that school. Hopefully what I post below will be some good news for those who are understandably going through some pretty rocky emotions. There is always hope!

From the PCOM site for both PA and GA campuses:

"How will the change to the AACOM Grade Replacement Policy affect application review?

The Faculty Committee on Admissions follows a holistic approach in reviewing applications for the DO program at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and Georgia Campus - PCOM. Our committee members look not only at grades and test scores when evaluating applications, but also read the entire application as submitted by the applicant, along with the letters of recommendation and personal statements. There are no cutoffs or minimums. We send supplemental applications to all of our AACOMAS applicants. Our admissions process will continue to be what it has been and will be unaffected by the change in the AACOMAS policy."
this post gives me some hope. I wish there was a list of schools that had no cutoffs, however most schools I have emailed they replied that they will be following the AACOMAS grade replacement changes.

How closely do adcoms look at individual grades each semester?

Hello all, just sent my application to 14 DO schools($715), many of the schools have their deadlines today 2/1 and supplemental deadlines 3/1 for entering this Fall 2017 cycle. 3.5sGPA/3.6cGpa I have an old MCAT December 2014 of 26 (9/9/8) which would be a 501-502 range based on the new MCAT scoring. My Experiences and LORs are top notch. Just wondering as I've read the forum that applying this late might get me an interview to a waitlist, but I have a friend who applied to NSUCOM early January, she did her secondary and has an interview sometime this February. So I still think there is hope as far as getting in some unfilled spots before the Grade Replacement Policy takes effect. I mean why are there still schools taking final applications in March and April like LECOM?

I will keep you all posted on my progress. I think I can defeat this grade replacement monster!:diebanana:

Reactions: 2 users
I have emailed all of the schools, and so far this is what I have received:

CUSOM: "CUSOM has not made a decision at this time if we will be following AACOM’s new policy. We will be reviewing this new policy and making a decision once the current application cycle is closed. Please continue to check our website for updates.

Thank!
CUSOM Admissions"

2. ATSU: "We will no longer be using grade replacement for our DO program applications. All grades will be included in the GPA calculation so if you took a course twice it would be an average of the 2 grades. "

3. Midwestern: "In regards to AACOMAS announcement that they will no longer be honoring grade replacement when calculating GPAs; Midwestern University AZCOM has not yet determined how the application will be processed in 2017-2018 cycle. Please continue to check with the admissions office regarding this decision. "

I have also made a current spreadsheet with all Osteopathic Schools and their minimum GPAs. The comments section lists important information I received as to whether or not they have automatic screen outs based on GPA number. It seems that those who do not have a minimum or those who give automatic secondaries do not have an automatic rejection based on number; each candidate's application is looked at in its entirety before a decision is made with these particular schools. *note that this spreadsheet is still a work in progress and so there are many gaps, but I still thought it would be useful.

Attachments

• Osteopathic Schools.xlsx
    40.4 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: 7 users
I have emailed all of the schools, and so far this is what I have received:

CUSOM: "CUSOM has not made a decision at this time if we will be following AACOM’s new policy. We will be reviewing this new policy and making a decision once the current application cycle is closed. Please continue to check our website for updates.

Thank!
CUSOM Admissions"

2. ATSU: "We will no longer be using grade replacement for our DO program applications. All grades will be included in the GPA calculation so if you took a course twice it would be an average of the 2 grades. "

3. Midwestern: "In regards to AACOMAS announcement that they will no longer be honoring grade replacement when calculating GPAs; Midwestern University AZCOM has not yet determined how the application will be processed in 2017-2018 cycle. Please continue to check with the admissions office regarding this decision. "

I have also made a current spreadsheet with all Osteopathic Schools and their minimum GPAs. The comments section lists important information I received as to whether or not they have automatic screen outs based on GPA number. It seems that those who do not have a minimum or those who give automatic secondaries do not have an automatic rejection based on number; each candidate's application is looked at in its entirety before a decision is made with these particular schools. *note that this spreadsheet is still a work in progress and so there are many gaps, but I still thought it would be useful.

This is a great post! Thank you very much. Will be utilizing this information for this thread at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

this post gives me some hope. I wish there was a list of schools that had no cutoffs, however most schools I have emailed they replied that they will be following the AACOMAS grade replacement changes.
This is a (an incomplete) list I made a couple of days ago. It includes schools that do not require a minimum to have an application looked at entirely. Take a look at the comments section as well.
Note that I did not just go to each website; I emailed and called every school to verify.

Attachments

• Osteopathic Schools 11.08.56 PM.xlsx
    40.5 KB · Views: 179
This is a (an incomplete) list I made a couple of days ago. It includes schools that do not require a minimum to have an application looked at entirely. Take a look at the comments section as well.
Note that I did not just go to each website; I emailed and called every school to verify.
Thanks for the info!!

So if they don't require minimum GPAs/MCATs then the column for overall grades is just what they deem a competitive number?

Thanks for the info!!

So if they don't require minimum GPAs/MCATs then the column for overall grades is just what they deem a competitive number?
The column titled, "Minimum science/overall" is what each school requires in order to have a primary application looked at.

Before I go applying and wasting money, it's better to boost my GPA via more undergrad coursework because enrolling in a graduate program (even non-degree seeking) wouldn't help my grades actually rise, right? So in order to meet cutoffs I need more undergrad coursework? The only way grad work will truly help me is if it's directly associated with a medical college?

I am not sure which is more likely. It is like trying to compare apples with oranges because this year we have grade replacement and next year we won't. Psu228 put it pretty clearly. If you don't get in with this current cycle, applying next cycle with a lower gpa won't look that good to adcoms. It is a huge risk trying to apply this late in the cycle while only getting to interview for a waitlist spot at best.
Wait....are you saying that grade replacement is still available for us students applying this cycle to start fall 2017? I thought we no longer had that option starting this year last month, but your saying it will take effect next year instead if I understand correctly

Wait....are you saying that grade replacement is still available for us students applying this cycle to start fall 2017? I thought we no longer had that option starting this year last month, but your saying it will take effect next year instead if I understand correctly
Essentially takes effect in May

Does that mean that Math classes are factored into your science GPA now for DO schools just like it is for MD schools?

@lakraken for column M in your spreadsheet (comments section) are those gpas referring to SGPA or CGPA?

@Goro I was just told about this policy, and I wanted to ask you about it. I am a senior, and I already took my MCAT (522). Also, I have maintained a 4.0 during my last 3 years of college. My problem is I took numerous grade replacements from almost 10 years ago, and under the new policy my GPA will fall to 2.90. Does this mean I will automatically be filtered out of a lot of schools? This is all mind numbing considering how hard I have worked during the last 4 years. I am in the middle of two internships right now, and I wasn't going to apply until next year.

@Goro I was just told about this policy, and I wanted to ask you about it. I am a senior, and I already took my MCAT (522). Also, I have maintained a 4.0 during my last 3 years of college. My problem is I took numerous grade replacements from almost 10 years ago, and under the new policy my GPA will fall to 2.90. Does this mean I will automatically be filtered out of a lot of schools? This is all mind numbing considering how hard I have worked during the last 4 years. I am in the middle of two internships right now, and I wasn't going to apply until next year.
I'm not Goro or anything, but I'm pretty much in your exact position. 10 years ago I had messed around a lot, unfortunately not just for one semester, but over my last 90 credits I have a 3.9, not quite as good as yours, but with the sudden policy change it put me at a 3.01. Fortunately for me I am barely above a lot of cutoffs, though I'm sure it will still destroy my chances at a lot of places, but there are some schools that don't have a minimum, some that are a 2.75, many that are a 3.0 and a few that are a 3.2. I think it is all about school shopping now and seeing if you can get that GPA above a 3.0, though I know at this point it takes a lot. I feel your pain. When I found out like a month ago I definitely felt like my mind went numb, it was a rough couple of days. For a lot of us. Honestly with that crazy mcat and such a good upward trend it'd be absolutely insane for you not to get in somewhere. Someone had started a thread on a different page where they were getting lists of all the schools who wouldn't have an auto screen rejection and others that did and what it was. I'm sure there are definitely still school's out there who would want you, but you will want to do a lot of research into each schools minimums and if their policy about their minimum grade requirements has changed it all with the replacement loss. Best of luck friend.

I suspect that a 522 MCAT will attract enough eyeballs in spades to see that the you of now is definitely not the you of then. Have UCSF, Pitt, Mayo, Case, Duke,, BU, and Columbia on your list, for starters.

Reactions: 1 users
Goro, will my MCAT score keep my applications from being automatically rejected? Also, I can retake the MCAT and get a higher score ( I can get into the 525+ range).

(p.s. My premed adviser is worthless, but loves to hear herself speak.)

I suspect that a 522 MCAT will attract enough eyeballs in spades to see that the you of now is definitely not the you of then. Have UCSF, Pitt, Mayo, Case, Duke,, BU, and Columbia on your list, for starters.

I am looking forward to the day that decisions I made 10 years ago no longer influence my future. Good luck to you, too!

I'm not Goro or anything, but I'm pretty much in your exact position. 10 years ago I had messed around a lot, unfortunately not just for one semester, but over my last 90 credits I have a 3.9, not quite as good as yours, but with the sudden policy change it put me at a 3.01. Fortunately for me I am barely above a lot of cutoffs, though I'm sure it will still destroy my chances at a lot of places, but there are some schools that don't have a minimum, some that are a 2.75, many that are a 3.0 and a few that are a 3.2. I think it is all about school shopping now and seeing if you can get that GPA above a 3.0, though I know at this point it takes a lot. I feel your pain. When I found out like a month ago I definitely felt like my mind went numb, it was a rough couple of days. For a lot of us. Honestly with that crazy mcat and such a good upward trend it'd be absolutely insane for you not to get in somewhere. Someone had started a thread on a different page where they were getting lists of all the schools who wouldn't have an auto screen rejection and others that did and what it was. I'm sure there are definitely still school's out there who would want you, but you will want to do a lot of research into each schools minimums and if their policy about their minimum grade requirements has changed it all with the replacement loss. Best of luck friend.

I personally would reject you outright for doing something so incredibly stupid as retaking a 522 MCAT score. That shows lethally poor judgement. If you were trying to be humorous, it didn't travel well over the electrons.

Lots of schools are MCAT ******, so a 522 will get noticed.

Goro, will my MCAT score keep my applications from being automatically rejected? Also, I can retake the MCAT and get a higher score ( I can get into the 525+ range).

(p.s. My premed adviser is worthless, but loves to hear herself speak.)

Reactions: 4 users