A question regarding a non-EU doctor working in an EU country

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shreypete

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a non-EU citizen studying in an EU country (CR). I was wondering if I'll have chances to work in the EU after my medical education. Although I'll still be a non-EU citizen, I should be getting my permanent residence within a year.

Here's my question: I'm currently considering Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Switzerland, France and Ireland. Europe is obviously by 2nd option (US is the first) but it's still my backup. So I see how so many EU doctors keep moving from country to country. But how do they meet the language requirements?

Out of these countries, I know that getting in Switzerland is almost impossible. Ireland is also pretty hard but one of the advantages I have is that it's an English speaking country...which really makes things much more nicer for me.

I mainly want to consider one (or two at the max) EU countries to have as a back up because I can't learn Dutch, French, Swedish, and Norwegian fluently, hoping that I'll get into one of the countries. So I would like to know which country is more accepting of non-EU citizens studied in the EU, looking for training programs in one of the surgical specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

hey even i want to study a surgical branch in switzerland .. just lemme know how do we get in .. if in case you happen to know anything regarding that .. and i suggest you that .. more of the information in this regard .. you will definitely be helped by this new website that have come up .. http://www.residency-database.helmsic.gr/ .. please also suggest me more details .. if you come to know .. thank you ,... my email address is [email protected] .. Thanks... I hope i have helped a little bit ....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey even i want to study a surgical branch in switzerland .. just lemme know how do we get in .. if in case you happen to know anything regarding that .. and i suggest you that .. more of the information in this regard .. you will definitely be helped by this new website that have come up .. http://www.residency-database.helmsic.gr/ .. please also suggest me more details .. if you come to know .. thank you ,... my email address is [email protected] .. Thanks... I hope i have helped a little bit ....

Hey there, Switzerland is actually pretty much out of the question for non-EU graduates (unless you're exceptionally good.) I do know how it works for France, Netherlands, Sweden and Norway but I want some first hand info. regarding the statistics of the number of IMGs who got into the system.

Secondly are you an EU medical graduate? Because those makes a big difference at least when applying to countries like the Netherlands, France, Sweden, Denmark and Norway.

So I'm a non-EU citizen studying in an EU country (CR). I was wondering if I'll have chances to work in the EU after my medical education. Although I'll still be a non-EU citizen, I should be getting my permanent residence within a year.

Here's my question: I'm currently considering Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Switzerland, France and Ireland. Europe is obviously by 2nd option (US is the first) but it's still my backup. So I see how so many EU doctors keep moving from country to country. But how do they meet the language requirements?

Out of these countries, I know that getting in Switzerland is almost impossible. Ireland is also pretty hard but one of the advantages I have is that it's an English speaking country...which really makes things much more nicer for me.

I mainly want to consider one (or two at the max) EU countries to have as a back up because I can't learn Dutch, French, Swedish, and Norwegian fluently, hoping that I'll get into one of the countries. So I would like to know which country is more accepting of non-EU citizens studied in the EU, looking for training programs in one of the surgical specialties.

This is a really tough question to answer. First, Norway isn't in the EU, which presents some challenges in and of itself.

I was wondering- is it a matter of time to not be able to learn a Scandanavian language? I was considering learning at least one myself, since according to the Scandavian Union's constitution, one has the right to speak any Scandanavian language in any country of the Union, but I don't know how this applies to the workplace. I know for a fact many from No and Se residents cross the borders for work, but again, such things as whether they actually speak the language of the country they're in, a mixed border dialect, or their own language is still in question. Since I speak German, I would research first into which is most closely related to German (as being part of the Indo-European languages), which Icelandic, Finnish and Estonian are further departed from than Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish. Oddly enough, I receive articles in the latter three, and they are intelligible to a good extent, to varying degrees. English can be used in these countries due to their extremely high English literacy, but one still needs the native language.

I think you're in Cz, no? You've probably seen stuff that looks totally foreign when written, but when one sounds it out, it turns out to be derivatives of English. I see that a lot in many countries. That certainly helps bridge a lot of gaps.

My school also offers further language studies and medical-specific courses in language for students. Are they offered?

So if the "mutually intelligible" and mutually exchangeable aspect of the latter three holds, I would look into learning the easiest language for myself, then use that to break in, while learning the language of the region while on the job.

Dutch is somewhat mutually intelligible with German, though I think they understand more German than a German would understand Dutch. The gap is that there is a lot of Anglicization in Dutch, but spelled completely drunk. The German part is German, but spelled drunk, with an absence of articles (thank god!). I've considered learning it, but they have an extremely high literacy rate in English, and my German is still too shaky to try and learn a closely related language.

CH- it's a take your pick, with regard to which language and Schweizer Deutsch is so far off, it's not even funny. They do have their own words, and there is no written form other than hochdeutsch, but the sounds are so far departed, that when Swiss are interviewed for German TV, they often need subtitles, even if they make an effort to try and speak hochdeutsch. I have to admit, I do like and respect it because it's more melodic and flowing than the harsh hoch deutsch. Austrian German is also similarly melodic, but very close to hoch deutsch.

It's pretty difficult, with respect to the languages, but basically research a lot, and if you made it through med school, I don't see any barriers in learning another language, aside from time and interest.

As far as the residency, I wish I could help more, but I'm an EU citizen, so it's easy for me to make my way around, even to NO and slightly less difficult for CH, though the latter is instituting restrictions on German physicians coming over now. I'm also curious to know more about such things as restrictions within the EU and EEC areas on license recognition from within EU/European schools. That's one of my interests in either relearning French or going for a Scandinavian language- I could travel and work nearly anywhere in Europe.

Hey there,

Well I have a decent knowledge of Dutch already (due to the fact that I've done a lot of summer immersion programs in Amsterdam) but I've yet to get acquainted with the medical terminology. Dutch is still mandatory when working in the healthcare country. The thing is, I've done quite a bit of research and I'm eligible to work there (as my degree will be an EU one) but the problem is with the visa issues. I don't know how that's going to work (I don't know if my EU permanent residence will help but I spoke to a Dutch lawyer and he said that it would definitely help in terms of immigration.)

I think learning another language wouldn't be way too hard for me (as I'm a language fanatic and a polyglot myself) so I'm prepared to do what it takes to get to the level of recognition. Yes Norwegian is a bit scary but that's only because they have so many different dialects (and the whole Nynorsk and Bokmal thing make it worse). Swedish is comparatively harder in many ways as it's harder to emulate the intonation. But when I started off learning Swedish, my knowledge of German and English did help a whole lot...to the point that I felt it was way too easy (but when I got to the formation of plurals and the demonstrative pronouns...little did I realize that every language has its remarkably easy and tough aspects.)

With regards to Czech, I think the written and spoken language are relatively similar. I mean yes, the colloquial language is slightly different...but it's not as bad as say French (where the whole liaison thing can make a foreigner wondering why he learned French for 3 years). Swedish, Norwegian and Dutch are pretty similar in this aspects...they tend to join the words together (more so in the former two languages) and this makes it slightly hard for a foreigner to figure out the beginning and end of a word....with Dutch, it's more of the sounds (the "g" and "ch" sounds are pretty much the same in the Netherlands, unlike in Belgium where they are distinct). Also the fact that they do omit a lot of the "n"s from the words (vergeten - vergete; doen - doe; noemen - noeme) in spoken dutch can take some time to get a hang off (because people could mistake it for being a noun or some other part of speech; but the fact that it comes to the end makes all the difference - as with German.)

Well you must have it easy being an EU citizen indeed. If I do stay here for a longer time (I think 5 more years), I will be able to become one...but I just don't want to do that. I mean U.S. is still my first option but in case it doesn't work out, I should still have a back up I guess. I'm still hoping that the UK and Netherlands will be open to non-EU citizens (this is where I should ask my uncles/aunts for help).

Hi, i soon may move to holland . iam from pakistan and works here in an Anesthesia dept. i heard about the BIG licensing exam. Can anyone tell me what are the chances to pass that exam and how to prepare like what books should i read for that?I can't find much info on inet. i have been to BIG site aswell. Iam actually REALLY worried i really do not know if i should apply for BIG or move to some other country with my husband. Which won't be easy. So please if any one can help me with the info. I would appreciate.
Thanks!