Dead Black Dog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I have some Questions I want to going into Neuro and I have some schools in mind.My frist choice is Indiana Universty but I'm not to sure on their Neuro program. Someone could help me out that would be awesome! My second choice would be University of California San Francisco or Johns Hopkins University because they both seem to have really great Neuro programs.I would try Harvard but my chances would be very slim :laugh: . I'm also open to schools out of the united states so if you know of any post below.

Thank you i appreciate any and all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're talking about UG majors, UCSF is strictly grad & professional degrees....

If you're talking medical specialties (i.e. after successfully completing med school) such as neurosurgery and you're in UG, the best thing you can do is:

1. keep a solid sGPA+cGPA (3.7+), strong MCAT (85th percentile+), clinical ECs, etc.

2. get into a med school (maybe even one with a strong neurosurgery program ->I'll leave that up to you to decide on the definition)

3. do well in med school (pre-clinicals+clinical clerkships), get AOA, etc.

4. crush the steps (e.g. 250+)

5. do neuro-related research during med school, publish, etc.

6. voila you've matched into a top-tier neurosurgery program.

.....Also if you plan on practicing in the US, it's best to train in the US

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) Where you do your residency is where their neuro program would matter, not med school
2) You can never be sure that you'll end up in a particular specialty before starting med school
3) Johns Hopkins is your backup choice? You'd be extremely lucky to get an interview there
4) Going out of the country for med school means that you'd struggle to get a residency spot in the US, and if you do it won't be in neuro
5) You should do some more research about this process. There is a lot of info out there that will clear up any other misconceptions you have.

edit: Pretty sure he's talking about med schools from his tags @eteshoe

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He's a she and she joined 1 hour ago. OP what year are you in? High School, College ? You should spend a ton of time reading these threads and get your bearings. If you are applying for med school now or getting ready to apply next June you really need to figure this out soon.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

If you're talking about UG majors, UCSF is strictly grad & professional degrees....

If you're talking medical specialties (i.e. after successfully completing med school) such as neurosurgery and you're in UG, the best thing you can do is:

1. keep a solid sGPA+cGPA (3.7+), strong MCAT (85th percentile+), clinical ECs, etc.

2. get into a med school (maybe even one with a strong neurosurgery program ->I'll leave that up to you to decide on the definition)

3. do well in med school (pre-clinicals+clinical clerkships), get AOA, etc.

4. crush the steps (e.g. 250+)

5. do neuro-related research during med school, publish, etc.

6. voila you've matched into a top-tier neurosurgery program.

.....Also if you plan on practicing in the US, it's best to train in the US

Thank you For clearing some things up for me,I really appreciate you took time to respond to my questions.

1) Where you do your residency is where their neuro program would matter, not med school

Thanks for telling me this!

2) You can never be sure that you'll end up in a particular specialty before starting med school

I already know that " I can't be so sure" I was asking about mainly neuro programs or schools with good ones in case that's the road i head down. Like you said before in number one

3) Johns Hopkins is your backup choice? You'd be extremely lucky to get an interview there

I do agree that I didn't do really any research on schools. I think when the time comes to choose I wouldn't go with them as my backup.

5) You should do some more research about this process. There is a lot of info out there that will clear up any other misconceptions you have.

Hints the reason why I was asking questions but thanks for the tip!

Thank you for answering my questions have a great day @NotASerialKiller

He's a she and she joined 1 hour ago. OP what year are you in? High School, College ? You should spend a ton of time reading these threads and get your bearings. If you are applying for med school now or getting ready to apply next June you really need to figure this out soon.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I am in my junior year of Highschool I joined an hour ago not this is my first time. I have Been visiting this form for two years and just decided i want to create an account. I'm will to admit that I have been dlewing mainly at the neurosurgery side of the forum so some areas are still to be discovered. Thankyou for replying to my thread!

It doesn't matter how strong a specific department at your undergrad is in terms of your long term career. If you want to become a neurologist or neurosurgeon, the most important thing you can do in high school is get into a 4 year college that you like. And then once you're in college, the most important thing you can do is get into a US med school.