90 hours of undergraduate work in 2 years

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: This is all hypothetically speaking...at least most of it. I'm just kind of exploring my options here.

So, is it possible to gain acceptance into med/pod (more pod) school with 90 hours completed, but after sophomore year?

So going into school, I'd have credits for:
-Calc AB (4 credits)
-Calc BC (4 credits)
-Multivariable calculus (4 credits)
-Linear Algebra (4 credits)
-Differential Equations (4 credits)
That's 20 credits there that I'd have for sure. Possibly some others, depending on what scores I get on the Stats, Spanish, Lang/Comp, Lit/Comp, Econ, Gov. I'll have scores for AP physics and AP chem, but I think I'd rather not take credit for them and just take them again in college for MCAT prep.

Assuming it's a semester system (UCB), then each semester if I take 15 units, by the end of sophomore year, I'd have at least 80 units (20+60), more if I get credits for the possibly AP courses. If not, I can either take classes during the summer or just take 17/18 credits

If it's on a quarter system, then this seems to be kind of confusing...I'll have to think a bit harder on that.

Of course I'd fit in studying for MCAT in there, and hopefully some research opportunities/times. And I'll be hoping to have time to still train in MMA :)

So would this be possible? Sorry for the long read. And yes I'm thinking about going to a UC; saves money. I know that a lot of people will say that undergrad are the best years in life, but I'm too excited to keep going on in life.

(And as a side note, should I post this in the pod forum? It's more directed toward getting into pod school, not that much for med school)

EDIT: Edited quarter section, I got confused on the credits

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No.

And they're very unlikely to take you with out a degree.

Also when you're computing credits, 1 credit on a quarter= .6 of a semester.

You need to take the appropriate amount of time.

Note: This is all hypothetically speaking...at least most of it. I'm just kind of exploring my options here.

So, is it possible to gain acceptance into med/pod (more pod) school with 90 hours completed, but after sophomore year?

So going into school, I'd have credits for:
-Calc AB (4 credits)
-Calc BC (4 credits)
That's 20 credits there that I'd have for sure. Possibly some others, depending on what scores I get on the Stats, Spanish, Lang/Comp, Lit/Comp, Econ, Gov. I'll have scores for AP physics and AP chem, but I think I'd rather not take credit for them and just take them again in college for MCAT prep.

If it's a quarter system (most likely, since all UCs except for Berkeley are on that), if I take 12 units a quarter, by the end of sophomore year, I'd have at least 92 units (20+72), more if I get credits for the possibly AP courses.

Then if it's a semester system (UCB), then each semester if I take 15 units, by the end of sophomore year, I'd have at least 80 units (20+60), more if I get credits for the possibly AP courses. If not, I can either take classes during the summer or just take 17/18 credits

Of course I'd fit in studying for MCAT in there, and hopefully some research opportunities/times. And I'll be hoping to have time to still train in MMA :)

So would this be possible? Sorry for the long read. And yes I'm thinking about going to a UC; saves money. I know that a lot of people will say that undergrad are the best years in life, but I'm too excited to keep going on in life.

(And as a side note, should I post this in the pod forum? It's more directed toward getting into pod school, not that much for med school)

WTF

Will you have taken these course before graduating high school ? :eek::eek:

-Calc AB (4 credits)
-Calc BC (4 credits)

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

And they're very unlikely to take you with out a degree.

Also when you're computing credits, 1 credit on a quarter= .6 of a semester.

You need to take the appropriate amount of time.
Why wouldn't it be possible? I contacted the dean of CSPM (California School of Podiatic Medicine) and he said qualified students that completed 90 hours of undergrad work can apply and still admitted. For that, something about GPA 3.5 or 3.6+, and MCAT of 25+.
So basically 15 credits a semester equals 9 credits a quarter? Thats it? Do grad schools calculate it that way too?

WTF

Will you have taken these course before graduating high school ? :eek::eek:

-Calc AB (4 credits)
-Calc BC (4 credits)

xD Yep. I'm in BC now (sophomore year), taking Linear Algebra over this summer, and Multivarialbe/Diff eqn next school year at a community college. Not sure what to do senior year, probably some distance ed if my parents want to spend the money.

Why wouldn't it be possible? I contacted the dean of CSPM (California School of Podiatic Medicine) and he said qualified students that completed 90 hours of undergrad work can apply and still admitted. For that, something about GPA 3.5 or 3.6+, and MCAT of 25+.
So basically 15 credits a semester equals 9 credits a quarter? Thats it? Do grad schools calculate it that way too?

I don't know the exact conversion, it's on AMCAS.

They ain't gonna admit you 'cos they got betta apps from ppl wit 3.9 and 43 and PhDs who saved 2 villages fulla ded afrikan bbs.

That's why.

Never mind that you can't do much useful in the time you're going to have around coursework. HS, even on AP, ain't nothing like uni. And you still have to take all the years required... just instead of intro maths you're in 500-level courses.

They ain't gonna admit you 'cos they got betta apps from ppl wit 3.9 and 43 and PhDs who saved 2 villages fulla ded afrikan bbs.
lol :D

Never mind that you can't do much useful in the time you're going to have around coursework. HS, even on AP, ain't nothing like uni. And you still have to take all the years required... just instead of intro maths you're in 500-level courses.
What do you mean by the years required?

lol :D

What do you mean by the years required?
if they want a yr of bio, you can AP all the way out to med skul. you still gotta take a yr of bio.

they want a 2 yrs of chem, you gotta give 'em 2 yrs.

etc...

if they want a yr of bio, you can AP all the way out to med skul. you still gotta take a yr of bio.

etc...
Oh yea. I'll be satisfying my prereqs all in college for sure; won't be using AP credit for that.

xD Yep. I'm in BC now (sophomore year), taking Linear Algebra over this summer, and Multivarialbe/Diff eqn next school year at a community college. Not sure what to do senior year, probably some distance ed if my parents want to spend the money.

Let's be friends. No, let's be close friends. No, we should be lovers. No, we should marry now.

You need to help me with my math ! ! ! ! Make a thread in H.SDN to help people with math ! ! ! Now ! ! !

Let's be friends. No, let's be close friends. No, we should be lovers. No, we should marry now.

You need to help me with my math ! ! ! ! Make a thread in H.SDN to help people with math ! ! ! Now ! ! !
xD Feel free to PM me with questions if you want...hopefully I'll be able to answer

Double Check those AP credits...im pretty sure i only got 3 for AP calculus.
As for if its possible....its a little pushing it....

i came into college this year with 14 credits, took 14 credits my first semester, and now my second semester i am taking 15.5.

Next semester and the one after if i take 18...ill have close to 80.

In your case, your going in with similar. (i dont know if they will give you credit for both AB and BC)

You will probably have to take somewhere around 18, if your allowed (freshman's have caps at my school), to get near 90. Ofcourse if your that determined max out the amount of classes you can take in the summer.

xD Feel free to PM me with questions if you want...hopefully I'll be able to answer

Thanks !
hail.gif

etc...

I know med schools require a year of English, but I already got a 5 on AP Lang, which covers a year of English. Does that mean I have to take a year of English anyways?

So should I just take a higher-level English class knowing that I already have the credit for them? Or should I just take those basic English classes in college?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know med schools require a year of English, but I already got a 5 on AP Lang, which covers a year of English. Does that mean I have to take a year of English anyways?

So should I just take a higher-level English class knowing that I already have the credit for them? Or should I just take those basic English classes in college?

Take upper levels. As long as it has a good amount of writing in it, you're good- a course on science writing could work, it doesn't have to be lit.

Never ever repeat an AP you got 4 or 5 on.

Double Check those AP credits...im pretty sure i only got 3 for AP calculus.
As for if its possible....its a little pushing it....

i came into college this year with 14 credits, took 14 credits my first semester, and now my second semester i am taking 15.5.

Next semester and the one after if i take 18...ill have close to 80.

In your case, your going in with similar. (i dont know if they will give you credit for both AB and BC)

You will probably have to take somewhere around 18, if your allowed (freshman's have caps at my school), to get near 90. Ofcourse if your that determined max out the amount of classes you can take in the summer.
You only got 3 credits for AP calc? I'm pretty sure at most schools, people get credit for the first two courses of calculus with a score of 4 or 5 on the BC one.

I'll probably be taking advantage of the time during summer to take some classes.

You... scare me...

holy crap on wheat.

pssst...I'm a she.

Flame right out? What does that mean?
Sorry about that.

If you keep going the way you have been, the way you're planning, you run a very good risk of

1. burning out
  2. flipping out
  3. some combination of the two
IDK what the People In Charge of Kids Today are smoking, but the way they push you/let you push yourselves is insanity.

I wouldn't worry too much, he keeps goin' like that and he'll flame right out.

I dunno, she seems to be doing okay in her classes right now. If she can deal with BC Calc as a sophomore, more power to her.

Sorry about that.

If you keep going the way you have been, the way you're planning, you run a very good risk of

1. burning out
  2. flipping out
  3. some combination of the two
IDK what the People In Charge of Kids Today are smoking, but the way they push you/let you push yourselves is insanity.
heh np.

I possibly might burn out sometime...but at least for math, I enjoy it. I'm choosing to take these classes so soon...I guess we'll see what happens to me in a few years :xf:

Take 4 years in college and just enjoy it! Or at least 3 years and finish your degree early. Don't Rush it! College is awesome!

Take 4 years in college and just enjoy it! Or at least 3 years and finish your degree early. Don't Rush it! College is awesome!

Or finish college in 7 semesters rather than 8. Attend graduation ceremony with your class mates, but have a full half year to enjoy life and get a college-grad job before you really sell your soul to medicine.

What's the point of getting a bachelor's degree if I'll be getting a DPM? If I end up really liking my college years, perhaps I'll stay for 3 or 4 years :)

Or finish college in 7 semesters rather than 8. Attend graduation ceremony with your class mates, but have a full half year to enjoy life and get a college-grad job before you really sell your soul to medicine.
I dunno...I don't see that much point of that, well except having a half year off. There is point. xD I'll see what I'll do

Why podiatry medicine ? Any particular reason for that ?

Do you just like the smell of foot ? :p

Why podiatry medicine ? Any particular reason for that ?

Do you just like the smell of foot ? :p
Yes, especially smelly feet! :D jk

Well since I've had my share of foot problems. I train in MMA, so my feet get tweaked around from all the kicking, falling, submissions, etc. I recently broke a toe and I somehow get these mysterious toe pains (which will no longer be mysterious, once I see my podiatrist next week :)) I looked deeper into the profession and found it quite interesting. It will allow me to do the normal doctor stuff (examining patients) and also surgery. The hours/pay also aren't bad.

Yes, especially smelly feet! :D jk

Well since I've had my share of foot problems. I train in MMA, so my feet get tweaked around from all the kicking, falling, submissions, etc. I recently broke a toe and I somehow get these mysterious toe pains (which will no longer be mysterious, once I see my podiatrist next week :)) I looked deeper into the profession and found it quite interesting. It will allow me to do the normal doctor stuff (examining patients) and also surgery. The hours/pay also aren't bad.

Accepted :thumbup:

Have you considered going into engineering yet? If you've taken multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before you've graduated high school, I'd say you have a pretty good innate talent in math.

Have you considered going into engineering yet? If you've taken multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before you've graduated high school, I'd say you have a pretty good innate talent in math.
I have, but it's not quite that interesting to me. It seems like everyday is very similar; seems like with medicine, you see a change everyday. (different people and stuff)

I have, but it's not quite that interesting to me. It seems like everyday is very similar; seems like with medicine, you see a change everyday. (different people and stuff)

I will PM you tonight. Be prepared. Call your mom and dad home too in case.

This comes up every now and then, and it's a kinda ridiculous notion. OFFICIALLY, many schools say that their requirements are "90 credits" of undergraduate. Realistically, 99+% of medical students have an undergraduate degree. Yes, every few years a top school will accept a really young person without a bachelors, but this is so rare that you shouldn't be shooting for that.

Go to college, ENJOY it for 4 years - most people do. If you have a bunch of credit, take some "off the beat" classes (NON SCIENCE!) - history, econ, music, etc... come to mind. Some phys ed classes are fun too (innertube water polo, anyone?). Don't rush through some of the best years of your life for nothing!

I dunno if I'm really going to do that or not, but it's just an idea. I'll see what I end up doing in a few years.

Innertube water polo? o_O

AAAAH!!!!!

Innertube Water Polo is a intramural sport at BSC.