6 verbal....*sigh*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesse120

Zanarkand Ruins
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my scores back today: 6V 11P 11B = 28Q

Should I even bother telling you my GPA/EC/etc. or does that 6 kill my chances no matter what? I'm really bummed...

I'm thinking withdraw my app this cycle and study hard for next spring, I know I can do better next time.

I wasn't planning on applying DO, but do I have a chance there?

Members don't see this ad.

Got my scores back today: 6V 11P 11B = 28Q

Should I even bother telling you my GPA/EC/etc. or does that 6 kill my chances no matter what? I'm really bummed...

I'm thinking withdraw my app this cycle and study hard for next spring, I know I can do better next time.

I wasn't planning on applying DO, but do I have a chance there?
Your best bet right now would be DO with that 6 on verbal. If you are set on MD, I think a retake is warranted.

Your best bet right now would be DO with that 6 on verbal. If you are set on MD, I think a retake is warranted.

Thanks for replying! No I'm not set on MD, med school is med school after all. Do you happen to know how competitive is my score is at a DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying! No I'm not set on MD, med school is med school after all. Do you happen to know how competitive is my score is at a DO school?
Some DO schools screen for a minimum of 7 on every section in the MCAT. Call every school to find out the ones that do not screen for that minimum. I think, you will be competitive for any school that do not screen for that minimum if you have a 3.4 cGPA/sGPA, good ECs, at least a DO LOR.

Some DO schools screen for a minimum of 7 on every section in the MCAT. Call every school to find out the ones that do not screen for that minimum. I think, you will be competitive for any school that do not screen for that minimum if you have a 3.4 cGPA/sGPA, good ECs, at least a DO LOR.

Thanks again for replying! I will make some phone calls tomorrow. I have a 3.8 something for both, average ECs including an honors thesis project, >350 hours hospital volunteering. I haven't shadowed yet, but I'll be doing that real soon. I don't have a DO LOR yet, but I'll work on getting that.

Last edited:
can you post what you find out after your phone calls (ie what schools won't screen out with a 6 in VR)? I am unfortunately in the same predicament.

I am going to make some phone calls today to and I will let you know what I find out!!!

Great idea. Yes I will edit this post as I make calls. I'm a PA resident so I need to see which schools are favorable to OOS. So far I've contacted:

Lake Erie COM - 22 overall cutoff, no individual cutoff
Philadelphia COM - no cutoff

So far this is GREAT news for me

yea, i've been calling some allopathic schools and they have all told me they just look at the total score, not necessarily the individual components. Its kinda weird...

I feel like they are just told to say that so they don't give away any adcom secrets about their pre-screening process...

yea, i've been calling some allopathic schools and they have all told me they just look at the total score, not necessarily the individual components. Its kinda weird...

I feel like they are just told to say that so they don't give away any adcom secrets about their pre-screening process...
I have heard this also. I hope it is true....

I'm afraid they're not being straight with you. I had a 7 in PS 2 years ago when I applied, and I had a really difficult time getting into med school. Many, if not most allo schools have an 8 section cutoff, and at some places it's even higher (9 at Jefferson, 10 at OHSU for OOS applicants).

I would say that unless you're a URM or recent immigrant (and maybe not even then), a 6 in any section would be a total deal breaker. I can't speak to DO schools, but I wouldn't bother applying allo with a 6. You'd really be wasting your money.

Agreed. A 6 VR (provided your first language is English) is too low for MD schools. Hopefully, you can schedule a retake for September.

(Not to hijack the thread)...

Student1799,

Did you end up getting in somewhere with that 7 PS score?

Student1799,

Did you end up getting in somewhere with that 7 PS score?

Considering that my status is "Medical Student," you can infer that I did. Gotta use those razor-sharp premed analytical powers. :)

In fact, I got into 2 schools and was waitlisted at a few others. I'm about to start my 2nd year at UVM.