App Review / What can I do to strength my app in the next ~6 months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm starting to get stressed about my application / having imposter syndrome thinking that my app isn't nearly good enough to apply. I'm hoping to either hear that my imposter syndrome is wrong, or come up with some concrete steps to take between now and the MCAT in May.

For starters: I'm 31yom, caucasian. IL resident. Non-traditional, former software engineer of 6 years.

Undergrad: in finance with a 3.54 GPA, 4.0 sGPA (only took two science classes and got A's in both). I exhibited a downward trend because I wanted to focus more on extracurriculars, internships, and social life during my last 3 semesters of college, but my first 5 semesters I earned straight A's in some very difficult classes like Honors Calc 2.
Post-bacc: 3.97 GPA so far. This makes my sGPA a 3.98 or 3.99.
Across-the-board Cumulative GPA will be around a 3.64 after postbac completed.

No MCAT yet. My MCAT is scheduled for May 2023 and I'll apply immediately after that.

Shadowing, about 50 hours in the ER, plus ~20 shadowing an FM doc and 4 hours with a psychiatrist.

No research experience. This is currently my predominant worry. Is it worth trying to start a research project right now? There's one non-clinical idea I have where I'd love to research the association between people's religiosity and their reported SWB, it's just a topic of interest. I've never done research before, not sure how far I could get with this over the next 7 months.

Work experience:

• (Sept 2022-present) EMT working at a company that does mostly IFT with some 911. I love it, it's amazing clinical experience but I have the opportunity in a few months to start pickup up 911 shifts, which I'll definitely do. (100 hrs currently, >800 by application time)
  • (Jan 2022-June 2022) Worked as an EMT for concerts / games, had to quit due to knee injury and surgery and I reached my maximum allowable medical leave of 6 weeks. (100 hours)
  • (Sept 2015-Sept 2021) Worked as a software engineer for 6 years from large well-known companies to startups. I taught myself how to code after realizing late in college that I didn't want to do finance and I liked tech.
Clinical and Volunteering:

• (May 2022-now) Children's hospital - PACU volunteer. I give out popsicles, warm blankets, and pillows to kids coming out of surgery, and I help their families find their way out of the hospital. (60 hours, 200 projected by application time)
  • (January 2022-now) Meals on Wheels* - I deliver weekly free meals to seniors and homebound folks. (80 hours, 150 projected by application time) *see Rotary Club below as well)
  • (July 2020-Aug 2021) Free Clinic - I was both a medical assistant and a software consultant. I built this clinic an EMR which they have adopted to facilitate telemedicine due to COVID-19. I also volunteered as a medical assistant for about 50 hours. This was also a shadowing experience as I would be present in the exam room while the doctor saw the patient. I had to quit because I moved states to attend my postbac, and I was super sad about it. (50 hours shadowing / MA ; 150 hours software consulting).
  • (Sept 2020-Aug 2021) Rotary Club - I joined this service organization and served as the sergeant-at-arms. This is how I first got involved with Meals on Wheels; I prepared over 1500 meals for homebound seniors and donated a ton of winter clothes to families in need. I also had to quit this organization because I moved for my postbac and the local club in my new state's meeting time is during class. (150 hours)
  • (December 2017 - May 2018) Suicide Crisis Hotline Volunteer - Took calls from callers with SI and guided them toward coping strategies or de-escalation as needed. Had to quit this 4 years ago due to being laid off from my job and my partner experiencing health issues, would love to do it again but I'm focusing on clinical experiences and other volunteering instead. Maybe during my gap year. (100 hours)
  • (May 2015 - May 2016) Radio host and DJ - In college I ran a radio show where I played music from around the world, trying to dig up gems or underground stuff that people would normally never hear. Motto was "none of the hits, all of the time". This experience is 7 years ago.
  • (August 2013 - May 2015) President of Social Enterprise Organization - In college I was heavily involved with a social enterprise organization, where we'd find self-sustaining ways to help people. It was an awesome experience and I got a lot of stories out of it. 500 hours.
Thoughts? All constructive criticism welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Let us know after you get an official MCAT score. Do you have a sense of which schools you want to attend?
I'm just looking for some app review, not so much a WAMC as some feedback on my app so far. Is the general pre-med forum a better venue for that?

I won't make a school list until closer to MCAT but here are some I'm definitely applying to:
  • SIU
  • U of Illinois
  • SLU
  • UVM
  • All Texas MDs (I'm not a resident but have deep ties to the state)
  • Mizzou
  • UMN
  • The Wisconsin MDs (I can't remember all of their names)
  • Any other midwestern schools in my range

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas schools take high stat applicants for their limited OOS pool. Missouri, UMN, Wisconsin Madison and many of the public schools in the Midwest take few out of state students (and in Wisconsin’s case, they do but are high stat applicants).

For SIU, you would need to be from a rural area of Illinois or south of I-80.

You don’t need research, but I would recommend getting more non-clinical volunteering (couple hundred more hours at least) to help with schools such as Loyola and Rush.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas schools take high stat applicants for their limited OOS pool. Missouri, UMN, Wisconsin Madison and many of the public schools in the Midwest take few out of state students (and in Wisconsin’s case, they do but are high stat applicants).

For SIU, you would need to be from a rural area of Illinois or south of I-80.

You don’t need research, but I would recommend getting more non-clinical volunteering (couple hundred more hours at least) to help with schools such as Loyola and Rush.
I actually found on MSAR that in TX, OOS stats aren’t THAT much higher than in state. The medians are maybe one point higher and the ranges are pretty similar. What do you think about this?

I know it’s a long shot either way but I’m gonna shoot my shot regardless given that my family lives there, all my best friends live there, my alma mater is there, and I lived there for 7 years.

I actually found on MSAR that in TX, OOS stats aren’t THAT much higher than in state. The medians are maybe one point higher and the ranges are pretty similar. What do you think about this?

I know it’s a long shot either way but I’m gonna shoot my shot regardless given that my family lives there, all my best friends live there, my alma mater is there, and I lived there for 7 years.
Take the MCAT first and let us know. Average MCAT of accepted non-residents is about 516 according to the TMDSAS website.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you all have any feedback about my application so far? Trying to get a sense as to whether I'm on the right track right now.

I'm about to start prepping for the MCAT as I know that's the biggest thing I can do right now.

Do you all have any feedback about my application so far? Trying to get a sense as to whether I'm on the right track right now.

I'm about to start prepping for the MCAT as I know that's the biggest thing I can do right now.
Since you insist, how many recruitment events have you attended, and how many schools' students have you been able to connect with?

When are your letters going to be ready?

Pre-writing secondaries and mock interviewing should be on your agenda.

Since you insist, how many recruitment events have you attended, and how many schools' students have you been able to connect with?

When are your letters going to be ready?

Pre-writing secondaries and mock interviewing should be on your agenda.
No recruitment events, no students. How can I find these?

Letters will be ready in May.

I like your ideas about mock interviewing and pre-writing, that will help a lot :).

Thank you.