58 COMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whatever program. Whatever specialty.

Ie Top MD going for derm vs a low tier with that score difference is going to get owned.
I don't think that's always true unless a program has a hard filter of Step 1 > 225.

In that case, i'd agree with you and it's a rare reason in support of P/F Step 1 because hard Step filters for an exam with huge standard deviations are dumb

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that's always true unless a program has a hard filter of Step 1 > 225.

In that case, i'd agree with you and it's a rare reason in support of P/F Step 1 because hard Step filters for an exam with huge standard deviations are dumb
You have access to the same charting outcomes that I do. Notice the odds of matching into anything increase with step score. Top MDs can still match these competitive fields, but they’ll take a hit on tier. While low tier with awesome scores can punch above their tier.

And to the point of thread: DOs ability to match outside of primary care will be massacred once the steps go p/f.

• Hmm
  • Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
You have access to the same charting outcomes that I do. Notice the odds of matching into anything increase with step score. Top MDs can still match these competitive fields, but they’ll take a hit on tier. While low tier with awesome scores can punch above their tier.

And to the point of thread: DOs ability to match outside of primary care will be massacred once the steps go p/f.
I think that’s a bit of hyperbole no? Since step 2 is still scored?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The problem is "all else is equal" doesn't really hold because schools are different and the tippy top programs are so elitist that they're willing to lower Step expectations for school name

Well HCA is opening 5 residencies at every hospital so it will all be fine.

/sarcasm

Reactions: 1 user
I think that’s a bit of hyperbole no? Since step 2 is still scored?
Reread the post. I said steps. IMO, step 2 will go p/f very soon after it’s used as the new screening metric.

The problem is "all else is equal" doesn't really hold because schools are different and the tippy top programs are so elitist that they're willing to lower Step expectations for school name
Yes. But they still have expectations for scores right now. If you don’t meet even the lowered expectations —>no interviews. And believe it or not, the score does play a role in ranking which is variable depending on the field/program. So without this, it’s all about prestige.

Reread the post. I said steps. IMO, step 2 will go p/f very soon after it’s used as the new screening metric.

Yes. But they still have expectations for scores right now. If you don’t meet even the lowered expectations —>no interviews. And believe it or not, the score does play a role in ranking which is variable depending on the field/program. So without this, it’s all about prestige.
If you look at their rational for making step 1 P/F, making the rest P/F makes sense. You only shift the stress to step 2 if step 2 is scored. However, if one of the tests that we take is going to be one that plays a major role in residency placement, the more clinical of the 2 makes more sense. I don't think it will be P/F for the class of 2024 or 2025 though. I think they will space it out.

A bit of pontification, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go adaptive after all tests are P/F. I think the main users of step often forget the purpose of the test. It's not to stratify residency candidates. It's to assure the public the graduating physicians are competent. Adaptive testing is a good way of doing that.

Reactions: 1 users

I still don't know why people predict that with any amount of certainty. It's very possible that happens. It's also possible there's no difference. There's no way to tell until the match.

• Love
I still don't know why people predict that with any amount of certainty. It's very possible that happens. It's also possible there's no difference. There's no way to tell until the match.
Have you considered that they used logic and reasoning to weigh the various possible conclusions? People don't just say it will probably be different just for the sake of it.

Even if it ends up being wrong, it still has some more merit than an argument saying that a big variable being elimated is going to result in the exact same scenario because... No reasons.

No one has a crystal ball, and of course, when the match actually happens is when we know for sure but it's not unreasonable to discuss it given this is a forum made to discuss such things with the information and understanding we have today.

Last edited:
1) us DOs get massacred
2) nothing changes
3) DOs displace MDs in competitive specialties/desirable locations

1 and 2 are most likely, 3 is impossible

If you look at their rational for making step 1 P/F, making the rest P/F makes sense. You only shift the stress to step 2 if step 2 is scored. However, if one of the tests that we take is going to be one that plays a major role in residency placement, the more clinical of the 2 makes more sense. I don't think it will be P/F for the class of 2024 or 2025 though. I think they will space it out.

A bit of pontification, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go adaptive after all tests are P/F. I think the main users of step often forget the purpose of the test. It's not to stratify residency candidates. It's to assure the public the graduating physicians are competent. Adaptive testing is a good way of doing that.
It’ll likely go p/f once we have a few matches where step 2 is the only metric used. People don’t typically study nearly as hard for step 2 and can still pass comfortably. But doing really well takes a commitment most people aren’t really willing to put in when they are already sorted into certain specialties by step 1 to some degree.

But once it’s the only exam, students will be burning themselves out way more over it than they ever did for step 1. And the same groups will be crying over the same issue of not having competitive fields/residencies at their fingertips by just going through the motions.

Its possible that person with multiple comorbidities who’s been on the vent for a month will wake up and make a full recovery tomorrow. But we all know what’s more likely. Officially though, there’s no way to know until tomorrow.

I likely could have matched my field in a p/f world. No chance I’d have matched where I did though.

Have you considered that they used logic and reasoning to weigh the various possible conclusions? People don't just say it will probably be different just for the sake of it.

Even if it ends up being wrong, it still has some more merit than an argument saying that a big variable being elimated is going to result in the exact same scenario because... No reasons.

No one has a crystal ball, and of course, when the match actually happens is when we know for sure but it's not unreasonable to discuss it given this is a forum made to discuss such things with the information and understanding we have today.
And yet he said it with complete certainty. I've looked at the threads from like 5 years ago about the residency merger, and many people were just as confidently predicting doom. It's a very real possibility. It is not an 100% guarantee like he thinks it is.

"DOs ability to match outside of primary care will be massacred "

I'd love to have access to the time machine that allowed him to make that claim with such certainty.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
And yet he said it with complete certainty. I've looked at the threads from like 5 years ago about the residency merger, and many people were just as confidently predicting doom. It's a very real possibility. It is not an 100% guarantee like he thinks it is.

"DOs ability to match outside of primary care will be massacred "

I'd love to have access to the time machine that allowed him to make that claim with such certainty.
Given that we established that it isn't a fact because we can't know yet it follows that his comment is his opinion. That's implied when you post something on a forum.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Given that we established that it isn't a fact because we can't know yet it follows that his comment is his opinion. That's implied when you post something on a forum.
Or he's just so overly confident about what he thinks he forgot how time works

Reactions: 2 users
Or he's just so overly confident about what he thinks he forgot how time works
"DOs ability to match outside of primary care will probably be massacred "

That better for you?

FWIW, my predictions about the merger were pretty accurate.

• Okay...
  • Haha
A bit of pontification, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go adaptive after all tests are P/F. I think the main users of step often forget the purpose of the test. It's not to stratify residency candidates. It's to assure the public the graduating physicians are competent.
I couldn't agree more. As a poor standardized taker myself, I love medicine enough to overlook the stress of taking hour-long tests and strive to pass. A bit self bias, but I still argue that best physicians not necessarily are best test takers.

Even if you just want to do primary care, there's no reason to not prepare like you're shooting for Derm. Make yourself the best applicant possible no matter the field you want to go into, because the future looks really uncertain and you don't want to look back wishing you did something differently. 4 years will pass in a flash.

Lmao what? I've seen many, many DOs list themselves as John/Jane Doe, DO on social media, and these are some very established leaders at top places
How about a DO has both DO., MD after his last name on his electronic prescription.

How about a DO has both DO., MD after his last name on his electronic prescription.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was an error. I’ve known a couple of incidents in which an Asian DO gets that mistaken for his last name. So Vinh Tran, DO accidentally becomes Vinh Tran Do, MD

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was an error. I’ve known a couple of incidents in which an Asian DO gets that mistaken for his last name. So Vinh Tran, DO accidentally becomes Vinh Tran Do, MD
Do not believe that was mistakenly printed because it appears in all his prescriptions. It was like this Xxxx Xxx, DO., MD.

Do not believe that was mistakenly printed because it appears in all his prescriptions. It was like this Xxxx Xxx, DO., MD.

Wow. Sometimes I have nightmares that I’m in Med school again because my DO degree is no longer recognized and I have to get an MD. :(

• Haha
Mr. Miyagi says - "Don't try. DO!"

Could still easily be an error. Electronic prescriptions just print your name as whatever IT put into the EMR. All of my electronic scripts have MD after my name. I can easily see how some IT person who has no idea what a DO is just knows the person is a doctor so also slapped MD after their name.

"58 COMs" reminds me of 21 Guns by Green Day, and doesn't need much change from the original

58 COMS

Do you know what's worth studying for
When it's not worth paying for?
Does it take your mind away
And you feel yourself suffocating?

Does the pain weigh out the pride?
And you look for a place to hide?
Did someone break your heart inside?
You're in ruins

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Throw up your arms into the sky,
AOA and I

When you're at the end of the road
And you lost all sense of control
And your thoughts have taken their toll
When AOA policies break the spirit of your soul

Your grades walk on broken glass
And the hangover doesn't pass
Administrators words aren't meant to last
You're in ruins

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I

Did you try to work with your school
Learn osteopathic tenets and rules
Did you ask for quality rotations
Only to receive in silence like a fool

When it's time to live and let die
And you can't get another try
Something inside your soul has died
You're in ruins

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I

• Haha
"58 COMs" reminds me of 21 Guns by Green Day, and doesn't need much change from the original

58 COMS

Do you know what's worth studying for
When it's not worth paying for?
Does it take your mind away
And you feel yourself suffocating?

Does the pain weigh out the pride?
And you look for a place to hide?
Did someone break your heart inside?
You're in ruins

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I

When you're at the end of the road
And you lost all sense of control
And your thoughts have taken their toll
When AOA policies break the spirit of your soul

Your grades walk on broken glass
And the hangover doesn't pass
Administrators words aren't meant to last
You're in ruins

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I

Did you try to work with your school
Learn osteopathic tenets and rules
Did you ask for quality rotations
Only to receive in silence like a fool

When it's time to live and let die
And you can't get another try
Something inside your soul has died
You're in ruins

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I

Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
Lay down your arms
Give up the fight
Eight, Fifty Eight COMs
AOA and I
What did you take!?

• Haha
Do you mean you wouldn't have matched where you did with both steps P/F or even with only step 1 P/F?
Without a quantifiable metric for me to show equivalence/superiority to USMDs.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you mean you wouldn't have matched where you did with both steps P/F or even with only step 1 P/F?

I would not have matched as well as I did with P/F step scores. Not a chance. I feel sorry for the new generation. I had a chance to prove myself in comparison to MDs, now your chances to prove yourself are diminishing (only step2, until that becomes p/f).

Eventually, I fear, itll get to the point where school prestige, research, and LoR from well known docs will trump everything. When and if that happens, low tier DO programs are going to be at a significant disadvantage.