500k debt to an orthodontist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDDS1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year, interested in applying to ortho soon. I just want to pose a general question to everyone, see the opinions. Some of the programs would put my total educational debt to about 500k. After reading other posts on here about ortho work by GPs, oversaturation of orthodontists because of increasing graduates, and the economic climate has the breaking point really hit for us predocs? Not to mention the trouble of graduating orthos finding a job and the stories of bankruptcy. At the end of the day, I just keep asking myself 'is it really worth it to be an orthodontist anymore?'

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a 3rd year, interested in applying to ortho soon. I just want to pose a general question to everyone, see the opinions. Some of the programs would put my total educational debt to about 500k. After reading other posts on here about ortho work by GPs, oversaturation of orthodontists because of increasing graduates, and the economic climate has the breaking point really hit for us predocs? Not to mention the trouble of graduating orthos finding a job and the stories of bankruptcy. At the end of the day, I just keep asking myself 'is it really worth it to be an orthodontist anymore?'

No. You should look into Prosthodontics.

"Is it worth it to be an orthodontist?" I don't mean to be captain obvious but do you have a desire to spend your dental career treating patients as an orthodontist? If so, I feel it's worth it. Is money your "primary" motivating factor, etc? Only you can really answer this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered a career in Periodontics?

Money is not a motivating factor - being able to afford my student loan payments and support a family is.

Clearly you missed my point based on your sarcasm... stop thinking about money. It will come if you're good at what you do (and part of being good at what you do is enjoying what you do...) AGAIN, only you can make this decision. Best of luck either way

Yes I agree that one's interest in a specialty should be the motivating factor to pursue it, and yes I've heard "the money will come" if you love what you do. However...$500,000 is a HUGE and ridiculous amount of money and I think the OP's question is entirely valid. Even if someone really loves ortho...is it responsible to put yourself into such financial jeopardy? I've been wondering the same question lately as well.

Yes I agree that one's interest in a specialty should be the motivating factor to pursue it, and yes I've heard "the money will come" if you love what you do. However...$500,000 is a HUGE and ridiculous amount of money and I think the OP's question is entirely valid. Even if someone really loves ortho...is it responsible to put yourself into such financial jeopardy? I've been wondering the same question lately as well.

ok, so if someone is thinking about ortho, and might have 500K of debt afterwards, then it may be a safe assumption that they already have 250-300k of debt no? So add 200 more and spread that out over 30 years, in addition to the extra income that comes along with the extra training (obviously General Dentists can make just as much or more, but in general) and its cake. Yeah it sucks when you pay those loans every month. But its FAR from a struggle, especially if you love what you do. It depends on your lifestyle. You may not own a yacht and a 15,000 sq home, but what do you really need in life?

Clearly you missed my point based on your sarcasm... stop thinking about money. It will come if you're good at what you do (and part of being good at what you do is enjoying what you do...) AGAIN, only you can make this decision. Best of luck either way

And clearly you have missed my point completely. There comes a breaking point when the money won't come anymore even if you're passionate and good at what you do if your sitting if monthly loan payments >>> monthly income.

\\So add 200 more and spread that out over 30 years, in addition to the extra income that comes along with the extra training (obviously General Dentists can make just as much or more, but in general) and its cake.

I dunno, I think it's a huge debtload and not a great time to be an orthodontist. Of course, everything changes and the economy will improve and people will start taking multiple children to the ortho again. But who knows how far down the road that will be.

$500k over 30 years is probably around $3k a month, which is nothing to sneeze at.

$500k over 30 years is probably around $3k a month, which is nothing to sneeze at.
$3000/month? That’s it? That’s like an average monthly mortgage payment for many homeowners in California. If it is only $3000/month, you can easily pay this amount + living expense by working 2 days/week as an associate orthodontist. Instead of buying a house, spend the other 3 days/week to set up your own ortho office and work for yourself.

I would rather be an orthodontist with $500k in debt is than being a GP with $300k in debt. I think it is totally worth it to spend extra $200k (for ortho training) so I don’t have to perform backbreaking time-consuming procedures (sc/rp, fillings, dentures, crown/ bridges, pulpotomies/ssc etc.) every day for the rest of my life.

Have you considered a career in Periodontics?
I remember that when my wife decided to specialize in perio, many of her classmates told her that it was a waste of time and money since most GPs don't refer cases to perio. Now, many of her classmates have asked her to come to their offices to place implants for their patients. Now, many of her classmates wish they could have the same easy job like hers. It takes less than 30 minutes to place 1 implant and brings home the same amount as a GP who works for 8 hours.

Don't think about the money, think about what will make you happy.
If ortho is what you are passionate about, than go for it! Do you think you'll be happy doing crown bridge, endo, fillings, and dentures the rest of your life? If so than, good for you, some GP's make a very good living and can make more than some orthodontists if they know how to run a business. However, if you really want to do ortho because you love it (not just the money) than invest in the education because it'll be worth it in the long run. 500K is not a big deal if you're doing what you love. You could be a GP owing 300K and making 300K/year and hating every minute of what you do. Then again, you can be an orthodontist owing 500K and making 200K and loving every second of your job!
If you're not sure about it being worth the tuition,extra loans, why not work for a year or two as a GP and see if you 1. like the procedures you do, 2. are happy with the income you make as a GP...you might be surprised!
I once asked a friend of mine who at the time was applying for ortho residency, if he was motivated by money. He said "If I could make 500K as a general dentist or make 100K as an orthodontist, I'd still want to be an orthodontist"

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rather be an orthodontist with $500k in debt is than being a GP with $300k in debt. I think it is totally worth it to spend extra $200k (for ortho training) so I don’t have to perform backbreaking time-consuming procedures (sc/rp, fillings, dentures, crown/ bridges, pulpotomies/ssc etc.) every day for the rest of my life.

I second that!!

He said "If I could make 500K as a general dentist or make 100K as an orthodontist, I'd still want to be an orthodontist"

Understandable, but if ortho programs continue to open a situation similar to graduating law students may occur. A graduating certificate with no job, and heaps of loan money. I am more or less playing devil's advocate, but I appreciate all of the responses.

I remember that when my wife decided to specialize in perio, many of her classmates told her that it was a waste of time and money since most GPs don’t refer cases to perio. Now, many of her classmates have asked her to come to their offices to place implants for their patients. Now, many of her classmates wish they could have the same easy job like hers. It takes less than 30 minutes to place 1 implant and brings home the same amount as a GP who works for 8 hours.

This statement makes the assumption that general dentists who didn't do a perio residency can't or won't place implants which is certainly not the case. There are many GPs whose practice philosophy is based mainly upon implant dentistry. These dentists may have completed a GPR, AEGD, a series of CE courses, or some combination of those.

Understandable, but if ortho programs continue to open a situation similar to graduating law students may occur. A graduating certificate with no job, and heaps of loan money. I am more or less playing devil's advocate, but I appreciate all of the responses.

I also worried that with so many new ortho grads coming out that it would drive the price of ortho treatment down and also lower the going rate for an orthodontist's associate salary. Fortunately, hiring an in-house orthodontist for a gp is the riskiest hire because of the problem of what to do with the patients in active treatment if the ortho program doesn't work out. Also, the biggest worry for a chain is to have the 3 month revolving door for orthodontic associates so the compensation can't be too low. Although it may appear that there are tons of ortho graduates coming out, there are still more than 10x the number of gp graduates that enter the workforce so the competition for gp associate jobs may be even more fierce. GP associates in saturated areas may make the same amount as a hygienist's salary.

i don't have much to add, other than to ask you where do you plan on practicing?? i'm a recent grad, and it's astonishing what differences there are between those of us in saturated areas, vs those of us at least 45 miles from those saturated areas.

not only is income higher in the non-saturated areas, but they enjoy practicing more, less competition, etc. cost of living, cost of starting up a practice, etc much lower. 500K wouldn't be as intimidating if i knew the rent for my apartment would 1/10 of what it is, in say NYC.

This statement makes the assumption that general dentists who didn't do a perio residency can't or won't place implants which is certainly not the case. There are many GPs whose practice philosophy is based mainly upon implant dentistry. These dentists may have completed a GPR, AEGD, a series of CE courses, or some combination of those.
Of the 9 GPs offices that my wife travels to, 3 GPs actually took the implant CE courses but then they realized that it was too much of a hassle to place the implants themselves; therefore, they let the traveling periodontist diagnose/treatment plan the cases, place the implants and handles all the complications such as post-op pain, implant failure, restorative failure etc. And it is easier for these GPs to just collect the 30-50% of the implant production and not having to worry about anything.

I think it is almost impossible for a GP to focus his/her practice to implant dentistry because there are just not enough implant cases. The busiest, million dollar GP office that my wife works at only has about 7-10 implant cases a month. Most other smaller GP offices have between zero to 5 implant cases a month. The periodontists keep their implant schedule busy by traveling to different GP offices.

If you are already 300K in the hole, I would not recommend further costly training. There is a point where a person accumulates too much debt. When you reach that point you are no longer working for yourself, you are working for the bank. With 500K you will be owned. You would be better off working for a few years and knocking down your loans.

500000 at 6.8 percent is 3000 per month interest alone, you need to add some for principle most likely around 1500. So your real payment will be more like 4-5 grand per month.

The loan amount is not the problem, its the ability to service it that is the key. Lets run some numbers to figure out what your salary needs to be to do this.

Monthly expenses I'll take the low numbers assuming family of 4

loan payment 4000
Mortgage 2000
Health ins 1000 for a family
Insurance 1000 disability, home, car, life
Car payment 500
day care 500
utilities 500
gas 400
household 1500 ie food clothes
Tax 1200 state and property

assume a 30 percent federal tax bracket
and for argument sake a 10 percent state

Right off the bat your at 12,700 per month x 12 = 152,400 per year after federal tax you need to get buy.

The needed salary for this is around 152,400/.7 = 220,000

If this figure is doable then it is possible to manage the loan.
If you can predict that your salary will increase to the 400-500 g range then it is doable.

Also remember one of the key expenses that is often overlooked is retirement savings. You need to budget this into the equation, which most people don't because it is easy to drop off. When you start out, even though the numbers say you can do it, what happens in the 5-10 years spent getting to the high salary the retirement is neglected. You find youself in you mid 40's with no substantial retirement or college savings, another one I left off.

Another aspect to this is financing a practice loan or buy in. Banks will look at your personal balance sheet, and if you cant afford to live a reasonable lifestyle and service the debt its lifetime associateship for you.

These numbers are off the top of my head. feel free to correct or modify for your own situation.

Reactions: 1 user
you can do income-based repayment until you make enough. There is a calculator here.

http://ibrinfo.org/

Seems like alot of new grads will qualify...

There are some very thoughtful and wise answers here, not all advocating the same path. I am tax attorney/financial consultant married to a doctor, so I see a lot of dental/medical practices, some run very well, some not so well. The early days are going to matter a lot to you since the earliest money you save is the most valuable, from a purely financial standpoint. You should not be overpaying taxes, but you probably will, since so few dentists are focused on this (LARGE) detail. Personally, in my practice, I see this all the time. Docs making really good money and paying far to much of what they earn to the government for the lack of knowledge that the corporations have.

You could, with diligence, beat the system to some extent, by practicing smart. Leverage yourself to the max--not by going in debt, but by maximizing the time you do what ONLY you can do. Hygenists and ortho techs (if that is what you call them???) make good money for their dentists, as do associates, and a great bookkeeper is a prize. The more of your time you can free to practice, the better. Your assistants, advisors, etc. have to be totally focused on your bottom line.

If you have the stomach for starting your own practice, or even buying into a practice, this can be done without more borrowing, perhaps by funding the retirement of the exiting dr. using a defined benefit plan. More patients stay, the buy-in is deductible, the exiting dr. can work part-time and transisiton patients to you.

My (patient/payor) experience with ortho is that all my younger sisters got some, so did all my kids (4), whether they needed it or not (!) and that all the teeth have moved again among my entire yuppie generation who are often going back and starting over, or those who didn't get the perfect smile now want one even at what you would consider an advanced age. However, there is a lot of advertising on billboards--still my dentist clients don't advertise and are doing very well.

I would side with the advice about passion. Love to go to work? Good life. Hate to go to work, not so good, will affect every other thing you do. Yes, 500K is huge for startup. Obscene, really. But that is also why it is licensed. Also, choose reasonably when you choose a practice location--there is a reason Walmart made it big from Bentonville, Arkansas! Some of my most financially successful dmds, dds, mds, dos, are in really rural areas, and I mean VERY successful, well over $1M year and could do more if they chose to work more. So, you have two reasonable choices: find the best job you can ($) now and work like crazy to pay down the debt, then do ortho, or go ahead, take the leap of faith and if you are sure you are going to love it, they really will come. My kids really really disliked the personality of our ortho, but all the dentists said his work was the best, so I forced them there. Interestingly I was given two names repeatedly by friends and I picked the one with the training credentials.

Bankruptcy does not discharge student debt. I have a daughter starting law school, in spite of the "job market"--she has a different plan than "get a job". She is also choosing schools by which one is giving her the best deal, between scholarships, living expenses, and where she wants to live. You mentioned "some of the programs". I am sorry to say that most people don't care where you went to prof school, so long as you passed the tests, so pick a cheap one and get the same degree. One last item of advice. In the south we always say you can marry more in a minute than you can make in a lifetime, so...do that, or buy a tiny house (small is the new big), live frugally, and happily, and you can do this, if you want to.

In retrospect, what would you have done if you could now do over? That answer will tell you a lot. As I told my daughter about law school when she complained that it will take another 3 years and she will be 28 when she finishes, you will be 28 in three years anyway...going to school is rather a nice way to spend a lot of your life for some of us. My husband got his first post-training job at age 39, and honestly some of the best times we had were when we were "poor". I think there may be, after a threshold, an inverse relationship between $ & happiness, and I DO money for others, every day, all day...it complicates your life a lot, because the more you have, you know, the more you have to lose, and that has made many a doctor miserable. Especially because so many foolishly hate insurance!

Good luck in your decision. "Things are in the saddle and ride mankind." R.W. Emerson Doing beats having. So would you do it again?

What a beautifully written post! I am also an orthodontist in California, and I can attest that there are far too many orthodontic grads moving here to grab any job that falls in front of them. I also see many underemployed orthodontists ..

My advice is if you had to work for free everyday for the rest of your life, would you still pick orthodontics or other field? Think about it!

I also see many underemployed orthodontists ..
My advice is if you had to work for free everyday for the rest of your life, would you still pick orthodontics or other field? Think about it!
I also see many general dentists in CA who face much worse problem. Many associate general dentists (at the same dental chain where I work at) have to work long hours (no lunch, no break), see mostly HMO, medicaid patients and get paid about 1/3 as much as what most of us, orthodontists, get. It’s hard to find full time 5 days/week associate job as an orthodontist but at least the average per diem salary for ortho is a lot higher than for general dentists…and ortho job is 100x easier.

Thanks for reminding me how much it sucks to be a general dentist. Now I will get back to working on my oral surgery application :)

I agree that you should go to the cheapest dental school possible, even if it's going to the school in the next state over where you can apply for state residency after your D1 year. And yes, cramming as many roommates as physically possible during your school years and not buying that fancy car when you graduate will set you a lot farther ahead. Imagine if you could save at least $50K in student loan debt: you could use that amount for your start up office or for the purchase of a declining/retiring ortho practice (some of them are going for less than the price of a car these days). 2-3 years ago you would see overbidding for ortho practices in hot markets and deals would close within weeks. Today, you could see at least 10+ listings for saturated states like NY and CA and you will see no movements for months on end (if at all). Do people no longer have money, are banks too tight, or have people been scared off? If someone has $1 million in cash right now then they could buy 5-7 of these locations and start their own ortho chain.

Last edited:

Everyone who applies to Ortho these days has to answer this question. You are not alone. I joined the military to pay off my debt but have to postpone my education until I'm done with my commitment. It sucks. But I'll also be able to use the GI Bill to partially pay for my Ortho training. But EVEN THEN, the economic climate is still a massive threat. This is survival of the fittest my friend. Personally, I think $500 large is just crushing debt. You still have to buy a practice and a house. Who's going to lend you $500K more? Despite the danger, many will hold tight to their blithe dreams and crash and burn. In a way, this will be good for the remaining orthodontists. I only see three realistic options for you buddy. Join the military, marry rich, or crash and burn. The whole :xf: option is for dummies.

http://www.infowars.com/24-signs-of-economic-decline-in-america/

Last edited:
500000 at 6.8 percent is 3000 per month interest alone, you need to add some for principle most likely around 1500. So your real payment will be more like 4-5 grand per month.

The loan amount is not the problem, its the ability to service it that is the key. Lets run some numbers to figure out what your salary needs to be to do this.

loan payment 4000
Mortgage 2000
Car payment 500
day care 500
utilities 500
gas 400

and for argument sake a 10 percent state

Right off the bat your at 12,700 per month x 12 = 152,400 per year after federal tax you need to get buy.

The needed salary for this is around 152,400/.7 = 220,000

You forgot the state tax, so the "needed" salary number would actually be around $254,000.

Also, things like a car payment and household can be pared back to make room for some retirement savings. However, given at the 500k range, in this day and age, a significant amount of those loans are going to be Grad + loans at 8.5%, you're better off financially paying down 8.5% interest loans than making 6-7% (If you can even get that high) in a retirement portfolio.

loan payment 4000
Mortgage 2000
Car payment 500
day care 500
utilities 500
gas 400

and for argument sake a 10 percent state.

Couple of modifications that make it more feasible:

1. Rent to start, don't buy a house.

2. No need for day care if one spouse stays home - if you do need day care then the other working spouse's income offsets day care cost, and then some.

3. 30% tax bracket = less tax than that; taxation is progressive, not flat, so you will probably effectively pay 24-25% federal tax. This seems to be a common misconception: I've heard people say, "I'll earn $249,000 and fall into a lower tax bracket." It doesn't matter, because your "tax bracket" is the tax you pay on only a certain amount of income. Bottom line is that you will always make more money by making more money, period.
http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

4. A general average of state taxes seems to be around 6%, and some states have no state income tax - although some states get up to 10% on income over a certain threshold, chances are you'll be closer to 6% starting out.
http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes/a/highest-state-income-tax-rates.htm

Regardless - $500k is a ton of debt. Be smart, don't bite off more than you can chew to start. It's hard to come out of residency and still be relatively impoverished, but that will be reality for many of us with student loan totals being so high.

I definitely agree with Armorshell - paying off an 8.5% interest rate loan is like a guaranteed 8.5% interest rate investment (just in reverse). My plan is to invest a small amount to get in the habit, but to pay off loans above 5% as quickly as possible.

3. 30% tax bracket = less tax than that; taxation is progressive, not flat, so you will probably effectively pay 24-25% federal tax. This seems to be a common misconception: I've heard people say, "I'll earn $249,000 and fall into a lower tax bracket." It doesn't matter, because your "tax bracket" is the tax you pay on only a certain amount of income. Bottom line is that you will always make more money by making more money, period.
http://www.moneychimp.com/features/tax_brackets.htm

30% tax bracket after you finish your residency? Not with Obamacare!!! It's a sin to be wealthy!

Last edited:
$3000/month? That’s it? That’s like an average monthly mortgage payment for many homeowners in California. If it is only $3000/month, you can easily pay this amount + living expense by working 2 days/week as an associate orthodontist. Instead of buying a house, spend the other 3 days/week to set up your own ortho office and work for yourself.

The problem is the associate jobs are going away now. I agree that I would rather be an orthodontist with 500K in debt than a GP with 300K, due to the potential to earn more. If you come out of school with 500K in debt, you are going to have to practice in a less desirable location where you can earn more, associate long term (5-10 years), and/or go into used dental spaces. Someplaces in the country you can't afford to build a dental/ortho office and make money.

The problem is the associate jobs are going away now. I agree that I would rather be an orthodontist with 500K in debt than a GP with 300K, due to the potential to earn more. If you come out of school with 500K in debt, you are going to have to practice in a less desirable location where you can earn more, associate long term (5-10 years), and/or go into used dental spaces. Someplaces in the country you can't afford to build a dental/ortho office and make money.

In Irvine, if you wanted to set up a shop in the Irvine Company controlled grounds, your rent could run up to $13,000/month for a 1,000 sq.ft office. I even witnessed an orthodontist giving up his leasehold improvements and some chairs for free to the next guy willing to take up his lease.

I met a lot of dental students naively believing that they could get a full time job that will pay $200K - $300K per year in Southern California. I'll just say good job if you do, and good luck!

To the OP who wanted to be an orthodontist and wanted to know if $500K in loan was worth it... yes, sure, be an orthodontist, or whatever, but plan to marry rich and make sure your trust fund from your rich parents is readily available.. If you are from a poorer background, then think twice.

My advice... get in to an ortho program that pays you stipend (fewer and fewer)..., don't buy a house, don't get into a credit card debt, plan to live like a student for the next 5-8 years, don't get a fancy car, live debt free as long as you can, and get a rich sugardaddy or sugarmomma!!

I thought after 5 years, I can just quit my associate job and run my own office full time. 10 years later, I am still working for the same dental chain. I am going to keep this associate job for as long as possible. Well, at least it pays well and I don't have to do much.

Ortho used to rock. It used to take the chain offices 2-3 months to find an orthodontist in Southern Cal. I could work 7 days/week if I wanted to because orthodontists were needed everywhere. I began to realize that it is no longer easy to find associate job when I came across this SDN forum (in 2007) and talked to some of the recent ortho grads in this forum.

If you come out of school with 500K in debt, you are going to have to practice in a less desirable location where you can earn more, associate long term (5-10 years), and/or go into used dental spaces.

They may not be desirable options, but at least they give you a chance. It may be wiser to start small and then move into that dream office 5+ years down the road after you have built your patient base up. With the way things are going, however, it may be better to stay with a small space. It's better to have a small space that makes $ then to have a large office that loses $ right?

Last edited:
In Irvine, if you wanted to set up a shop in the Irvine Company controlled grounds, your rent could run up to $13,000/month for a 1,000 sq.ft office. I even witnessed an orthodontist giving up his leasehold improvements and some chairs for free to the next guy willing to take up his lease.
Irvine is the one best places to live (clean, safe, good schools etc) but it is the worst place to set up a dental/ortho practice. There are a lot of restrictions in Irvine. You can’t just pick any desirable office space to set up your dental/ortho practice. It has to be in certain professional buildings. This is why you go to Irvine you see 2-3 different ortho offices, 2-3 different dental offices, 2-3 different endo offices that are located in the same professional building. Plus, people in Irvine don’t have money to pay for braces because all of their incomes are used to pay for their million dollar houses.

I met a lot of dental students naively believing that they could get a full time job that will pay $200K - $300K per year in Southern California. I'll just say good job if you do, and good luck!

During you residency, the reps for the chains wow you with these amazing daily salaries for associate positions ranging from $1,000-1,500 a day in Cali. Residents get dreamy-eyed because they figure that if I could work at least 4 days a week then I could make over $200K my first year out. What the reps fail to tell you is that these positions are available for only 1-4 days a month and may require you to spend a night in a hotel the day before. Then you think that I will make the sacrifice and do it but you forget that there are 50 other applicants fighting for the same job. Then you also find out that there are experienced veterans also applying because their own days got cut. I started with my chain in late 2009 and to this day I believe that I am the last hire for So Cal. I started with them at 1 day a month and once I proved myself, they added me to their newer offices. The chains will continue to open more offices but they will look at their own existing doctors pool first (and they will accept because everyone is cutting days) before they look to hire from outside.

I started with my chain in late 2009 and to this day I believe that I am the last hire for So Cal. I started with them at 1 day a month and once I proved myself, they added me to their newer offices. The chains will continue to open more offices but they will look at their own existing doctors pool first (and they will accept because everyone is cutting days) before they look to hire from outside.
The chain manager recently asked me if I could take over 1 more office in the Riverside area. I guess the company still values my work even when I am not as fast and as hard-working as I used to be when I first started to work for this chain 10 years ago. And they seem to have no problem paying me the “above average” per diem rate. I had to decline the offer because I don’t have anymore days.

Thanks all for the responses. 500k debt is a TON to be an orthodontist, and recently I saw some post on dentaltown about an orthodontist who was in 750k debt from school alone!

Why don't you worry about getting into an ortho residency program first? Who's to say you'll get in even if you really really want to? Are you really going to turn down the position if they offer it to you? Or are you simply justifying in your head why you're gonna stop studying so hard so you can party with your other classmates?

The general idea in this entire thread is that it sucks to work in so cal. Well of course. It sucks to be anything in so cal. My friend just spent 14 years after high school to become a neurosurgeon only to find out that the only job he can find in southern cali is in Bakersfield. Honestly, this is true with just about any other profession you can think of from nephrology,dermatology, pharmacy, endo, OMFS.... the bottom line is if you want to make bank and prove to all your high school friends who didnt finish college that education was worth it....Move. Move out of cali and into Texas. There are simply not enough jobs here for ANY professional. Not to mention the state is going bankrupt probably because of wasteful spending such as free dental care for non tax paying individuals who claim to be in financial need but call their mom with their 32 Gb iPhone 4 to get picked up in their 2011 black Escalade with shiny new dubs. No wonder I pay so much state tax.

The bottom line is ortho is still an amazing profession. Yes maybe the golden years for ortho have passed but so has pretty much EVERYTHING else. MDs complain about Obama and about making next nothing even though they are working 80 hours/week..... even the pharmacist who was promised jobs galore during pharm school are having to move as far north as lancaster just to find a position at a CVS. Even if you can find only 4-5 days a month as an ortho associate, this roughly equals to working 12-15 days as a GP associate (who also have a hard time finding jobs in so cal). There may be a dwindling number of positions available, but they are definitely still out there, and new grads still have plenty of opportunities.

So..$500k does seems like a daunting number, but if you can specialize in ANY field, you increase your odds of getting a higher paying job. The bottom line is education is still the best investment you can make. Please don't lie to yourself and claim that debt is the reason you are not specializing. I advise you to spend some extra time on the clinic floor and figure out where you would be happiest. Remember...the bottom line is not just about money, but where you will be happiest making that money.

Why don't you worry about getting into an ortho residency program first? Who's to say you'll get in even if you really really want to? Are you really going to turn down the position if they offer it to you? Or are you simply justifying in your head why you're gonna stop studying so hard so you can party with your other classmates?

So..$500k does seems like a daunting number, but if you can specialize in ANY field, you increase your odds of getting a higher paying job. The bottom line is education is still the best investment you can make. Please don't lie to yourself and claim that debt is the reason you are not specializing. I advise you to spend some extra time on the clinic floor and figure out where you would be happiest. Remember...the bottom line is not just about money, but where you will be happiest making that money.

Did you ever think worrying about tuition is a wise choice? We are all smart people, to think that going into 500k+ debt does not need to be thought about is irrational. I'm sorry, but your post makes you sound extremely bitter. Maybe I can get into ortho, maybe I can't but I sure as hell would like to make an informed decision about my future. And btw if you read my post, I am going to be a 4th year in a couple months, would it even make sense for me to stop studying for my 1 class? Yea, let me go skip out on my final so I can go party hard with my friends because 1 guy on SDN told me to worry about getting into ortho first.

Hahaha..Whoa there kid. Don't get your panties in a bundle just yet. I'm merely stating that ortho continues to be one of the most competitive specialties and you should get into the program first before you stress about whether or not you should attend or not. It just seems that you continue to emphasize tuition as your rate limiting step when clearly it shouldn't be.

Oh and btw...don't worry about me being bitter. Ortho was the best decision I ever made in my life.

BTW, I'm not convinced that the orthodontist to population ratio is better in any of the big four Texas cities than for SoCal.

Even if that's true, the salaries being payed aren't likely to be significantly more in SoCal, but the cost of living in Texas is CERTAIN to be significantly less, making TX a more livable option, even if competition/pay is the same.

Living costs for a whole family of 4 in Carrollton, TX are going to be about the same as your rent alone in San Mateo, CA.

Even if that's true, the salaries being payed aren't likely to be significantly more in SoCal, but the cost of living in Texas is CERTAIN to be significantly less, making TX a more livable option, even if competition/pay is the same.

Living costs for a whole family of 4 in Carrollton, TX are going to be about the same as your rent alone in San Mateo, CA.

Point taken.

I would take videos like that with a grain of salt.

I am watching bits of the video at a time and have made it through 15 minutes so far... I feel like I am watching one of Michael Moore's twisted movies. Interesting stuff with the lady who is a DDS in Missouri....

139k in debt after dental school is extremely low compared to national average. The movie is portraying it as unreasonable that the Feds are expecting her to be making 160k / year 10 years out of dental school and thus monthly payments of about 2k on her student loans. To me that seems pretty fair considering I was looking at a job opportunity in rural AK that starts at $140k per year first year out of dental school. However, for some reason this lady is only making $80k / year 10 years out of dental school. Why should I feel bad for her? The movie goes into nothing about her consumer spending habits or what else is going on with her.

Furthermore, the movie is only giving figures based on private universities which indeed are insane. God forbid that we be forced to go to a state school where we can pay in state tuition. Again, no sympathy for people who feel the need to go to Columbia and get an Art History degree and are now working at Starbucks. I graduated undergrad with $1,000 to my name and no student debt and a degree that got me into dental school. It is insulting that these people are whining about how much they have to pay when they made financially poor choices.

However, for some reason this lady is only making $80k / year 10 years out of dental school. Why should I feel bad for her? The movie goes into nothing about her consumer spending habits or what else is going on with her.

Furthermore, the movie is only giving figures based on private universities which indeed are insane. God forbid that we be forced to go to a state school where we can pay in state tuition. Again, no sympathy for people who feel the need to go to Columbia and get an Art History degree and are now working at Starbucks. I graduated undergrad with $1,000 to my name and no student debt and a degree that got me into dental school. It is insulting that these people are whining about how much they have to pay when they made financially poor choices.

She maybe working part time if she's making $80K/year. In seven years as a DDS, I've always worked mostly part-time with brief periods of full time. I will soon be going full time in a few weeks, but the goal is to get back to part-time by the time I hit year 10 out of dental school.

And to add to your discussion about degrees and financially poor choices, I never understood ortho residents who wouldn't even consider the thought of moonlighting and were instead perfectly content with taking out $250K ortho debt just tacked onto their $300K dental school debt. Being an ortho resident is nothing like an OMS resident and there is definitely time to moonlight. A DDS is an extremely valuable degree that will at least earn you enough money as a resident to pay for your cost of living in most places.

Last edited: