This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuemd6

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I unfortunately received a 500 on my MCAT. I have a 3.5 cGPA and around 3.2 sGPA.
I am not sure if I should plan for a retake on July 24 or just apply to DO schools with this score now.
Is there any way I can apply with this score and then sent an updated one? I would really like to apply THIS cycle as I have already graduated and dont want to take any more gap years.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to throw away school now and have your application verified on time. Once you re-take add your new MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
500 is nothing spectacular, but it's not horrible for DO. Study out the DO schools and see which ones you would have a better shot at getting into and apply there. If you're looking for MD, you'll need at least a 510. You can always add your new MCAT and be re-evaulated by the schools you applied at. I got in with a 499 if that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
500 is nothing spectacular, but it's not horrible for DO. Study out the DO schools and see which ones you would have a better shot at getting into and apply there. If you're looking for MD, you'll need at least a 510. You can always add your new MCAT and be re-evaulated by the schools you applied at. I got in with a 499 if that helps.

do you mind sharing what was your gpa/ECs? If it is more comfortable, I can pm you. I'm looking to go to wvsom as well!

Hi all!
I unfortunately received a 500 on my MCAT. I have a 3.5 cGPA and around 3.2 sGPA.
I am not sure if I should plan for a retake on July 24 or just apply to DO schools with this score now.
Is there any way I can apply with this score and then sent an updated one? I would really like to apply THIS cycle as I have already graduated and dont want to take any more gap years.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

Just curious, how much did you study for the MCAT? A better MCAT, even by just a few points, can tremendously increase your chances at a DO.

Just curious, how much did you study for the MCAT? A better MCAT, even by just a few points, can tremendously increase your chances at a DO.
not much - had a family circumstance. obviously not an excuse, but I know that if I buckle down and study more I can get it at least a couple points up

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to throw away school now and have your application verified on time. Once you re-take add your new MCAT score.
will the schoools be willing to look at my new MCAT score if I have already applied?

will the schoools be willing to look at my new MCAT score if I have already applied?

Re-read again what I said. Apply to just one school where you are not interested that's what throw away school means. In the meantime you will be verified and if you want to re-take mcat. Once your new score comes then apply to any other schools you want to. Hope it makes sense. Don't wait till your new mcat score because then it may be late in application even though some says DO cycle is longer but its better to verified asap.

do you mind sharing what was your gpa/ECs? If it is more comfortable, I can pm you. I'm looking to go to wvsom as well!
sGPA: 3.45, cGPA: 3.45. I have over 1000 hours of volunteering, also 1000 hours of research. I shadowed 6 physicians for over 100 hours. If you want more specifics about what I did, pm me and I'll give those to you. I'm always open to answer questions from anyone because I realize that my MCAT is below average and it can give some people hope.

Re-take in July. I re-took mine in SEPTEMBER and was accepted this Spring.

If that helps, I applied to 26 DO schools last year mid-September with a 500 MCAT cGPA and sGPA were 3.7 each. I got about 12 to 14 interview invites (can't remember the exact number lost count), I only attended 4 of them and got 2 acceptances. I'm also a URM.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

You should be fine with a 500 if you are applying DO. Just apply broadly and stay away from schools with heavy IS bias, unless you reside there (RowanSOM, MSU-COM, OU), or schools that have exceptionally high MCAT averages like Western, coastal Touros, KCU and AZCOM as you will most likely get screened out. You will get in somewhere. I received 6 IIs and was accepted to med school with a sub-500 MCAT and I know others that have as well if you apply smart and understand your limitations. Make sure your application is flawless in all other areas (DO LOR and DO shadowing will help you so try and get that done). Out of curiosity what score did you get in B/B? a higher than avg B/B section (127+) can sometimes offset a less than stellar overall score when applying DO in my experience but do not quote me on that. This is because to adcoms the B/B section is the highest predictor of success on the medical boards from a statistical perspective. For MD however you have to bring your MCAT A-game (well-rounded solid score is essential) no getting around that. Best of luck!

Last edited: