When is it too late to apply DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take MCAT in July, the rest of my app is ready to go. What month is it where my odds of getting an interview shrink due to the time I apply? I will be submitting primary to my target DO school in May without an MCAT score and will update it when I get the scores and I have already answered their secondary questions. Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

total n=1 here, but I submitted in August since I decided late in the cycle that I was going to apply. I ended up with 5 interviews, went to 4, and 3 A's 1 WL

Post-thanksgiving.

You can always apply early with a pending mcat and let it catch up. This will get the ball rolling at least. I would just apply to 1 school that you don’t want to attend if you take this approach in case the score in unfavorable and you need to withdraw. If you like the score then go add more schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will be fine. As mentioned above, Thanksgiving is the general cut-off time. The verification process doesn't get as back-logged as AMCAS anyways.

I want to take MCAT in July, the rest of my app is ready to go. What month is it where my odds of getting an interview shrink due to the time I apply? I will be submitting primary to my target DO school in May without an MCAT score and will update it when I get the scores and I have already answered their secondary questions. Thanks all.
Thanksgiving

Post-thanksgiving.

You can always apply early with a pending mcat and let it catch up. This will get the ball rolling at least. I would just apply to 1 school that you don’t want to attend if you take this approach in case the score in unfavorable and you need to withdraw. If you like the score then go add more schools

This is what I did when I applied back in the day. I had two separate lists of schools I was going to apply to, each had a generally even distribution of schools in my "safety" "target" & "reach" school buckets based on my undergrad stats.

Once you get that PHAT 520+ score back, send the second batch out.

Applied to 3 DO schools in August 2022 - did not receive any response. Applied an additional 3 DO schools and was complete late January. Out of the latest 3, received 2 II --> 1A & 1WL.

Reactions: 1 users
total n=1 here, but I submitted in August since I decided late in the cycle that I was going to apply. I ended up with 5 interviews, went to 4, and 3 A's 1 WL
can you pls say which ones, in a similar situation

Applied to 3 DO schools in August 2022 - did not receive any response. Applied an additional 3 DO schools and was complete late January. Out of the latest 3, received 2 II --> 1A & 1WL.
can you pls say which ones, in a similar situation