5 year vs. 7 year GS residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADSigMel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that a lot of general surgery residencies have either officially or unofficially gone to 7 years of training rather than 5 years. Is there any easy way to identify those programs without scouring every website and/or calling every general surgery program in the country? I've found that some of them will come right out and say on their websites that two years of research are required, but others I've had to hear about via word of mouth. It's still early (I'm an M3), but I'm starting to think about what programs I'll want to apply to this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

GS is still 5 years. Some top programs might have you take a research year and recommend it if you want a subspecialize but it's not required at most residencies. Ex. Emory

Reactions: 1 user
GS is still 5 years. Some top programs might have you take a research year and recommend it if you want a subspecialize but it's not required at most residencies. Ex. Emory
Emory doesn’t explicitly require it but 90%+ of their residents do 2 years of research. It’s very heavily encouraged.

Unfortunately OP the only way is to scour websites and ask programs directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that a lot of general surgery residencies have either officially or unofficially gone to 7 years of training rather than 5 years. Is there any easy way to identify those programs without scouring every website and/or calling every general surgery program in the country? I've found that some of them will come right out and say on their websites that two years of research are required, but others I've had to hear about via word of mouth. It's still early (I'm an M3), but I'm starting to think about what programs I'll want to apply to this fall.

Most of the historically academic programs have a 7 year model, with two years of research/professional development after the second or third years. (ie MGH, BWH, John’s Hopkins, Penn, Michigan, UCSF, Duke, Washington, Vanderbilt, UVA, WashU, etc). Most of these are not “required” but expected and almost everyone does them.
Strictly community programs almost always have 5 year programs.
The programs in between often have optional research years, with only a few people in the program doing them, or half the class, or will have the occasional person go out for research but mainly just do 5.

As far as how to find which is which, you can try asking residents or faculty at your home program. Or look on the individual programs websites. But can safely assume that most of the big name programs have 7 years, while more community programs have 5 and everyone else is somewhere in between. Programs are usually pretty up front about it, and if they aren’t that should be a red flag.

Reactions: 4 users
Just because most of the residents take the time off it doesn't mean it's mandatory. I know a few people who went straight through in programs where >90% of the residents take time off.

Most big name academic places either require or encourage 1-2 professional development years - this can be lab research or something else. But I know many where residents do go straight through. I also know residents who take extra research years even when its not required, because it helps with their fellowship application.

The only way to really find out is through websites and then at the interview.

When looking for which programs to apply to, I would first start narrowing down based on geographic region of preference. Then go from there.