5 days a week ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schpooner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a 3rd year fellow starting to get into the thick of some interviews, without any solid offers yet, but I'm thinking about a community gig vs academic clinician one and was hoping for some input. I'm not that interested in trials or pursuing grant funding, and am primarily interested in delivering good clinical care, subspecialty focus a plus.

Community:
- 5 days/week seeing patients, but seems maybe 12-15 patients a day
- ability to subspecialize, with some teaching opportunities
- high 300s salaried, no production incentives, great benefits (it's Kaiser)
- pretty light call and inpatient time
- seems like a great work environment, nice group, etc

Academ-ish:
- 3+ days of clinic, with the rest unstructured, in a narrow subspecialty
- substantially more inpatient/call time (12 full weeks at least probably)
- low base salary + production bonus (details unclear to me, but I'm guessing most take home mid 300s)
- "name brand" institution your grandma would know with the prestige etc that comes with it (if that matters?)

I am not sure if I *have* to stay in academia, and there are features of the Kaiser gig that is attractive, but I am not sure what to make of the 5 full days clinic. Would this be too onerous for some of you? My understanding of the "party line" is that Kaiser takes care of all the admin bs that comes with other jobs, so you don't have to use extra time doing care coordination, insurance prior auths, and advertising, etc, etc, and the daily volume of patients seems more manageable than some of the academics I work with and PPs I know (~75/week). Am I being naive? Does 5 days a week actually mean 6+ with charting, etc? I have a young family and would like to see them grow up...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a salaried job for 5 days a week with no RVU bonus and they say 12-15 patients a day? Does the contract actually say no more than 15 per day?

That screams scam to me but I’m not in the region so don’t know anyone who works for Kaiser personally.

I’m just a second year fellow but honestly I would be concerned about any job that wants me to work a full day and claims I’ll only see 12 patients.

Just for the record, 5 days with 15 patients a day is 75 patients a week.

I don’t need the extra day for charting (I guess I do a little on my non clinical days, but I finish 90+% of my charts before the patient gets back to their car), I need it to recharge my soul. I would never take a 5 day a week oncology job even if I was capped at 10 or less a day.

On a completely unrelated note…hit me up if you’re interested in a 4 day a week academ-ish job with research and teaching opportunities (but no requirements) for 400k starting in a great location.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On a completely unrelated note…hit me up if you’re interested in a 4 day a week academ-ish job with research and teaching opportunities (but no requirements) for 400k starting in a great location.
For future reference, is this in Portland?

Thanks all, the "recharge my soul" aspect is something that is important to me, but haven't really considered in a quantitative way.

Just for the record, 5 days with 15 patients a day is 75 patients a week.

I don’t need the extra day for charting (I guess I do a little on my non clinical days, but I finish 90+% of my charts before the patient gets back to their car), I need it to recharge my soul. I would never take a 5 day a week oncology job even if I was capped at 10 or less a day.

Where were you when I was looking :rofl: