Heme Onc Day to Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLycos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on what a typical day in the life of a HemeOnc doc is like? How many patients are you seeing per day and how much time do you usually get with them in clinic?. What is inpatient/outpatient/call mix like? What is the next 15-20 year job market going to be like for future oncologists?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on what a typical day in the life of a HemeOnc doc is like? How many patients are you seeing per day and how much time do you usually get with them in clinic?. What is inpatient/outpatient/call mix like? What is the next 15-20 year job market going to be like for future oncologists?
Wow, so many questions. I think a lot of this has been discussed if you check out the other posts in this forum. Also it depends what your practice is like, where you are practicing, etc. Definitely do a rotation if you haven't already too. As for the future, no one has a crystal ball, I'm afraid. Best to do what you love, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on what a typical day in the life of a HemeOnc doc is like? How many patients are you seeing per day and how much time do you usually get with them in clinic?.
I see between 15 and 20 patients a day. I get 15 minutes with f/u patients and 60 with new (I can request more). Today, between 8:30 and noon I saw 14 patients. I spent an hour (scheduled for 15 minutes) with one of them that I put on hospice. 3 others were scheduled for 15 minutes and I spent at least 30 with them. I got 15 minutes to eat lunch. In the afternoon I had a fellow with me and only stayed 45 minutes past my scheduled time...he'll write all the notes though so that's good.
What is inpatient/outpatient/call mix like?
Depends on your group or academic/private. I have an academish practice of 12 docs spread over 5 offices. I work at the busiest office (40% of the total volume) and we hired somebody specifically to do inpatient consult work. Acute leuks go to the university (because f*** that). I take Q12 call which means 2 week nights a month and 4 weekends a year.
What is the next 15-20 year job market going to be like for future oncologists?
You'll have a job. Unless you don't. You'll get paid pretty well...or you won't.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the next 15-20 year job market going to be like for future oncologists?
If it was that easy to predict the market for the next 20 years you wouldn't have seen all these angry nephrologists today looking for better jobs

Reactions: 1 user