4th year Indian Health Services rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jadeite

Thought Puddle
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a rotation with the IHS? I'm really interested in a 4th year elective, but how can I choose a location? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can go to their website and there is a page for this question. I have also looked into it and there are some places that allow it. Four corners, Navajo and I am not sure about Sioux locations. Do a google of IH Services and look through their site. I want to do this too. :thumbup:

I have several friends who have done rotations with IHS in Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, and New Mexico. Most of the sites provide free or discounted housing and sometimes transportation (borrowed car). For the Alaska rotations, they just had to get to Juneau then IHS paid for them to get to the actual site. Contact your rotations advisor, they should be able to find more information for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I got to do my FM rotation at the Southern Ute Health center in CO. From my experience, the IHS doesn't really advertise it's rotations, so it you really just have to do some leg work. I ended up just cold-calling the medical director at the particular clinic and he was able to help me out. I found this later - here is a link to the relevant contacts (note the different service areas each one serves). As far as which place would be good, this may be obvious, but if you go to a CLINIC, it's pretty much going to be doing FM, if you want to do anything else, you need to limit your search to HOSPITALS. That, and eliminating based on geography ought to make your search pretty targeted. If you are really interested in the culture though, think about limiting your search based on Plains Indians v Pacific Northwest v Desert Indians, etc...

btw, the Southern Ute tribe was incredibly welcoming, they were more than willing to accomodate things like visiting sweat ceremonies, community health outreach, education at the tribal schools, meeting with the tribal council....

PM me with any questions.

http://www.ihs.gov/jobscareerdevelop/careercenter/medrotat.asp