National Health Services Corp Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard of this scholarship recently and I'm interested. Is there anyone here who has applied and received the scholarship? I know the application opens in March/April 2015 and results come out by September 2015.

Here's the link:

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/scholarshipataglance.pdf

Is it very competitive? I know they ask for letters of recommendation, can we use the same ones we used for our med school apps?

What percentage of applicants receive the scholarship? How much is the monthly stipend?

Will they pay full-tuition no matter what? Let's say I join MSUCOM as a OOS student, will they pay $80,000+ for my tuition every year?

Also, can you pick the health shortage center where you have to work? I'd rather not work in a prison and that's one of the choices. Yikes!

Sorry for the questions but any help is appreciated.

Anyone who doesn't have anything constructive to contribute or wants to troll, please don't reply. No offense intended.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Caesar @Narmerguy @QofQuimica

could one of you please transfer my thread to the NHSC forum? I posted it here by mistake and I don't want to cross-post. Thanks!

I heard of this scholarship recently and I'm interested. Is there anyone here who has applied and received the scholarship?

I applied for the NHSC scholarship, and received it for my last 2 years of medical school. I actually applied for it twice, as my application was rejected the first time.

Is it very competitive? I know they ask for letters of recommendation, can we use the same ones we used for our med school apps?

What percentage of applicants receive the scholarship?

The scholarship is quite competitive. The percentage of applicants who get the scholarship obviously varies from year to year, but you can guesstimate that it is around 10%. If you look at page 10 of the NHSC application guide (http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/downloads/spapplicationguide.pdf), you'll see the number of people who applied for the scholarship (between 1300-3200 in the past few years) - keeping in mind that the NHSC only awards about 180-200 scholarships a year.

You can probably use the same LORs that you used for your med school application, depending on how long ago that was. You should probably consider getting some LORs just for the NHSC, because what they're looking for may be different than what your med school was looking for.

How much is the monthly stipend?

For 2014-2015, according to the NHSC website, the stipend was $1302/month.

Your first stipend payment also comes bundled with the "other related costs" payment, which is a one-time payment to cover other expenses that you will incur during that year. It includes things like books, equipment rentals, instruments, uniforms, etc. If your school requires you to have health insurance, then the ORC payment covers that as well. The NHSC estimates how much your ORC payment will be based on information from your school's financial aid office.

Will they pay full-tuition no matter what? Let's say I join MSUCOM as a OOS student, will they pay $80,000+ for my tuition every year?

Yes, they will.

Also, can you pick the health shortage center where you have to work? I'd rather not work in a prison and that's one of the choices. Yikes!

You can pick the site that you work at IF it fits in a set of (very strict) parameters. They have to participate in the NHSC. They must be in an underserved area that fits a specific need score. The federal government designates each area in the country with a HPSA (Health Professional Shortage Area) score. The higher the score, the greater the need. As an NHSC scholar, you will have a minimum HPSA score; you can't match at a site that has a lower score than that. The minimum HPSA score changes every year. The year I graduated from residency, it was 16. The year before that, it was 18.

This should go without saying, but because you don't mention it in your post and I have met some really really dense people who have applied for this scholarship....you MUST COMPLETE YOUR RESIDENCY IN ONE OF THE APPROVED SPECIALTIES. You don't have a ton of choices - it has to be FM, IM, peds, psych, OB, or a combo of the above. You cannot do a specialty after you finish your residency, either, until you have completed your service obligation first (with a few notable exceptions, like child psych or geriatrics). So if you have your heart set on being a cardiologist or being a GYN oncologist, or being a forensic psychiatrist...you'll have to wait to apply for fellowship until AFTER you have finished your 2-4 years of service payback. If you change your mind during your 3rd year of medical school and realize that, crap, you were meant to be an EM physician or a radiologist....tough **it, the NHSC doesn't care. They will make sure that you pay them back, one way or the other. Also, please keep in mind that if you do not perform your service obligation, you will owe the NHSC 3 times what they paid for you PLUS all interest that would have accrued.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Although the stipend/ORC is taxable, wouldn't the overall amount be so low that I won't be taxed on it? I remember hearing that if your income is below $24,000 or a similar amount per year then there is no need to pay income taxes. Also if you're not able to find a job after residency, will the NHSC give you one? What is a typical annual salary you will earn while fulfilling your service obligation?

I think I understand the cons pretty well. However the pros still seem very enticing. I will be paying private OOS tuition and that combined with living expenses will come to over $300,000 without including interest and over $600,000 including interest (if I do take loans, I plan on paying only the minimum amount every month).

More than that, I'll have the peace of knowledge knowing that I don't owe loans to anyone. I can live in comfort while attending medical school. I know I don' want to do surgery, derm, radiology etc. However I was thinking of EM so I have to think about that issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Although the stipend/ORC is taxable, wouldn't the overall amount be so low that I won't be taxed on it? I remember hearing that if your income is below $24,000 or a similar amount per year then there is no need to pay income taxes. Also if you're not able to find a job after residency, will the NHSC give you one? What is a typical annual salary you will earn while fulfilling your service obligation?

I think I understand the cons pretty well. However the pros still seem very enticing. I will be paying private OOS tuition and that combined with living expenses will come to over $300,000 without including interest and over $600,000 including interest (if I do take loans, I plan on paying only the minimum amount every month).

More than that, I'll have the peace of knowledge knowing that I don't owe loans to anyone. I can live in comfort while attending medical school. I know I don' want to do surgery, derm, radiology etc. However I was thinking of EM so I have to think about that issue.

To be honest, I don't remember how the taxing of the stipend worked. There was some disagreement when I was a scholar, because initially they thought that it wasn't taxable. However, they are very clear now that it IS. And while you may not have to pay federal income taxes on it, I'm not sure if they can remove social security/Medicare taxes from it.

If you cannot find a job after residency, the NHSC will place you. You will probably be placed in middle-of-nowheresville, or at a really lousy center with terrible management, so just be aware.

Typical salary is supposed to be "market value" - i.e. not too different from other privately owned centers around you. My experience is that the pay is about $20-$40K less than private practices in the area, although that can vary. However, your salary would be largely yours, as you would likely not have too much in loans. If you want more concrete numbers (i.e. my personal salary numbers) then feel free to message me privately.

There are other cons to being an NHSC scholar that you may not be aware of. Community Health Center medicine is VERY VERY different from private practice, including in some negative ways. There are some positives, but there are some very real downsides that you may not see.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a new NHSC scholar and will have a 2-year service requirement after residency. What are some of the negatives of community health center medicine? I'm going to rotate at some CHCs later this year, but don't know too much about them yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a new NHSC scholar and will have a 2-year service requirement after residency. What are some of the negatives of community health center medicine? I'm going to rotate at some CHCs later this year, but don't know too much about them yet.

Community Health centers are generally run by administrators, who may have no medical or clinical background. As such, the decisions on how you practice may be business driven, not clinically based. These may be decisions that you are not comfortable with. For example, I interviewed at a site that required that all of their physicians treat heroin addicts who are in detox. It didn't matter if you weren't comfortable with treating 30 heroin addicts, or if you had zero experience with addiction medicine - it was a firm requirement.

Many CHCs pay their support staff poorly, so there is frequent turnover and you may find your support staff to be inexperienced, uninterested, and hard to work with.

Many CHCs do not really worry too much about physician/provider retention. So they may ask you to see 40 patients a day, knowing that you cannot leave until your service commitment is up. Even if you did leave, they'd just find another NHSC graduate to replace you. You may not have much professional autonomy either.

Reactions: 2 users