49th Annual National Research Forum, Galveston,TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexiMexi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is anyone presenting their work at this conference?

http://www.utmb.edu/nsrf/default.htm

I will most likely present my work at my school's student research forum this year. Since I'll already have an abstract and poster ready, I was thinking of coming to this as well.

Will this actually be a resume builder, and something that will help me in the long run? Or, is it just putting more on my plate? I am pretty busy as is.

Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this forum before (though that doesn't mean much). It may be great. Being a student conference, the minimum level/quality of work required to present probably isn't that high, so you'll probably be accepted without problem. But if your stuff is good, (but maybe not publishable) then why not present your work to a professional society?

Tangential thoughts: For career building (different from CV building) you'd want to get go to a society conference. These will give you exposure to the field, the opportunity to make contacts, and see some of the knowledge that the society is built upon (through conference teaching seminars). Depending upon where you go next (e.g. residency interviews) people reading your CV may have no idea what this conference is, but they would recognize ACP.

So if this meeting doesn't cost you anything (time or $) and you don't have any plans to work further on this project, then the student conference may be good. If you have the time and ability, maybe go for the next step.

It's not an uptight forum-so if your stuff is already done it won't be too much more work to go. Lots of students present from all over the country- 2 years ago I think there were at least 100 student presenters and there are more every year. If your stuff is good it's a good opportunity to win an award- I got 2 and scored $1000, and the awards always look good on the CV...... Plus with posters and talks (they have a lot) the more you practice the better you are...