4 year Navy HPSP 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the percentage of tax taken out of your basic pay?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the percentage of tax taken out of your basic pay?

Why not do a little research on your own on how much you think you'll make (you can find pay charts and figure out what your monthly dentist bonus will be). Lots of things will affect your tax bracket (dependents/deductions, 401k, etc). I'm guessing your taxable income will be around $60,ooo. Based on what I looked up:
Annual Gross Pay $60,000.00
Federal Withholding $10,600.00(25% tax bracket)
Social Security $1,965.60
Medicare $870.00
SDI $0.00

Net pay $46,564.40

This took me less than 5 minutes to look up BTW.

This does not include COLA which is taxable. It also does not include any state tax. BAH/BAS are non-taxable. - Again, you can look up BAH on your own depending on where you are stationed and figure out what you'll make per month. http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have been selected for HPSP/HSCP, did you guys have to send the navy the list of courses you will be taking in dental school? Is this the same thing as academic year statement?

thanks..

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have been selected for HPSP/HSCP, did you guys have to send the navy the list of courses you will be taking in dental school? Is this the same thing as academic year statement?

thanks..

I have not had to do anything yet. Same goes for the other 2 navy hpsp students at my school.

thanks..
The AYS is the cost of attendance for the institution you'll be attending. They send it to the school, the school fills it out. Your recruiter then submits this so the navy knows how much money to set aside for you.

The AYS is the cost of attendance for the institution you'll be attending. They send it to the school, the school fills it out. Your recruiter then submits this so the navy knows how much money to set aside for you.

Ok thanks. But did you also have to send that list of courses you will be taking in dental school?

Ok thanks. But did you also have to send that list of courses you will be taking in dental school?
Nope, but then again, I haven't commissioned yet, so my navy hpsp is on hold at the moment. I haven't moved forward with any paperwork beyond the AYS.

thanks..

They are seperate... My recruiter had me send both to my school to fill out, and they filled them out b4 my package is sent to the selection board (it finally got sent out for this last board meeting :/ )

Did everyone who boarded on March 12th get their results back?

Thanks AVB2104... and those in the March 12th board did they say if there were any HPSP's left?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what my recruiter told me

I just found out that that's just the deadline for submission for the next board, NOT the actual board date..

Also, I did NOT get selected for HSCP YET.. lol. I was just recommended by the HPSP board to submit my app for HSCP.. Now I have to board again and I heard they are two separate boards. Now I know that the note from the hpsp board people recommending me to apply for hscp means nothing in terms of my chances of getting it...

Last edited:
Anyone on here receive the HSCP?

Also I remember reading something about the possibility of more HPSP scholarships opening up latter this year, if this is the case will applying for the HSCP disqualify me from that consideration. Being that I will most likely attend a private dental school I would ideally like to receive the HPSP over the HSCP but if the HPSP is out of the question for this cycle I would settle for the HSCP. Also I believe the 3 year HPSP scholarship would still be more beneficial to me over the HSCP, does anyone know how the selection for the 3 year HPSP takes place?

If anyone could chime in on their experience with the HSCP, or their understanding of how exactly the HSCP works I would greatly appreciate it.

I just found out that that's just the deadline for submission for the next board, NOT the actual board date..

Also, I did NOT get selected for HSCP YET.. lol. I was just recommended by the HPSP board to submit my app for HSCP.. Now I have to board again and I heard they are two separate boards. Now I know that the note from the hpsp board people recommending me to apply for hscp means nothing in terms of my chances of getting it...

According to my recruiter the last board already passed (early this week or last week?). He expedited my application and was able to submit it up to a day before the actual board date because of that. Did your recruiter say that there's another board date in april?

According to my recruiter the last board already passed (early this week or last week?). He expedited my application and was able to submit it up to a day before the actual board date because of that. Did your recruiter say that there's another board date in april?

Hhmm, maybe he was referring to the HSCP board?? I think they are two separate boards...

Anyone on here receive the HSCP?

Also I remember reading something about the possibility of more HPSP scholarships opening up latter this year, if this is the case will applying for the HSCP disqualify me from that consideration. Being that I will most likely attend a private dental school I would ideally like to receive the HPSP over the HSCP but if the HPSP is out of the question for this cycle I would settle for the HSCP. Also I believe the 3 year HPSP scholarship would still be more beneficial to me over the HSCP, does anyone know how the selection for the 3 year HPSP takes place?

If anyone could chime in on their experience with the HSCP, or their understanding of how exactly the HSCP works I would greatly appreciate it.

There are no 3 year HPSP scholarship with the navy, only 4 year. You have to at least make the WL this year in order stand a chance of getting it... I don't believe there are anymore boards for HPSP, only for HSCP.

HSCP pays you around ~4700/month. Could be more or less depending on where you live. Your time in dental school will count toward retirement years because you are considered active duty as a dental student. Once you graduate dental school you receive a salary of an O-3 with 4 years of experience (roughly 10k more/year than HPSP people).. same commitment as HPSP (4 years active and 4 years IRR).

anyone knows the date of the next board??? my recruiter doesn't know ....I know the deadline is this friday to submit your application

There are no 3 year HPSP scholarship with the navy, only 4 year. You have to at least make the WL this year in order stand a chance of getting it... I don't believe there are anymore boards for HPSP, only for HSCP.

HSCP pays you around ~4700/month. Could be more or less depending on where you live. Your time in dental school will count toward retirement years because you are considered active duty as a dental student. Once you graduate dental school you receive a salary of an O-3 with 4 years of experience (roughly 10k more/year than HPSP people).. same commitment as HPSP (4 years active and 4 years IRR).

This is not correct, there are 3 year HPSP scholarships with the Navy.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not correct, there are 3 year HPSP scholarships with the Navy.

Didn't they get rid of the 3 years HPSP with the Navy?

I know the Army still has it and you have to reapply for it and the only chance of you actually getting it is if you were OML'd for the 4th.

With the Navy, you have 2 options.

1) You get the 4 year w/ 20k signing bonus.

2) You get off the alternate list when they open up more slots sometime in October. The only downside is that you don't get the bonus but in turn you owe 3 years (maybe this is what you were talking about). But you also have the option of taking the 20k bonus if you get off the alternate list...but you would owe an additional year making it a 4 year commitment.

I know the Army still has it and you have to reapply for it and the only chance of you actually getting it is if you were OML'd for the 4th.

2) You get off the alternate list when they open up more slots sometime in October. The only downside is that you don't get the bonus but in turn you owe 3 years (maybe this is what you were talking about). But you also have the option of taking the 20k bonus if you get off the alternate list...but you would owe an additional year making it a 4 year commitment.

that's what I thought..

The navy is known for their 3 year scholarships, that's why the majority of UOP hpsp students decide navy.

The navy is known for their 3 year scholarships, that's why the majority of UOP hpsp students decide navy.

Yep, there's several first years at UOP right now with the 3 year navy HPSP. Your recruiter might tell you otherwise but I would find a new recruiter in that case because he/she is just misinformed.

did you hear back from navy yet ?

did you hear back from navy yet ?
No, got an email from my recruiter yesterday saying that he'll let me know when he hears something. I'm sure i'll either get rejected or OML. Hoping for OML so I can find out my rank.

Are you reapplying for the HSCP?

No, got an email from my recruiter yesterday saying that he'll let me know when he hears something. I'm sure i'll either get rejected or OML. Hoping for OML so I can find out my rank.

Are you reapplying for the HSCP?

Yes I am. I'm boarding again soon but I don't know when the board date is. the deadline was last friday

Anyone know about how long it will take to hear back from the last HSCP board?

A few people on the Navy Board told me that for UOP students they have to accept the 4 year scholarship starting this year. Not sure if that's entirely accurate but if it is then that's only starting this year

A few people on the Navy Board told me that for UOP students they have to accept the 4 year scholarship starting this year. Not sure if that's entirely accurate but if it is then that's only starting this year
idk how true that is, but when I was accepted at UOP I was given the choice of taking a 3 year or a 4 year. Seems like 3 year scholarships are still being offered.

Last edited:
idk how true that is, but when I was accepted at UOP I was given the choice of taking a 3 year or a 4 year. Seems like 3 year scholarships are still being offered.
That's awesome. So what would be the difference? Is it just the 20k bonus? Cuz that seems not very smart to owe an extra year for 20k

That's awesome. So what would be the difference? Is it just the 20k bonus? Cuz that seems not very smart to owe an extra year for 20k
Yeah, if you take the signing bonus, you owe four years. Ended up not going to UOP so the signing bonus wasn't a factor in my decision.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many spots were available for this past HSCP board?

Yeah, if you take the signing bonus, you owe four years. Ended up not going to UOP so the signing bonus wasn't a factor in my decision.
Same here. Rather enjoy 4 years than be stressed for 3. Although UOP is a great great school.

Did anyone from the March board (the second one) hear back yet?

AVB2014 said he received the HSCP from the HSCP board about two weeks ago I believe. But I have yet to hear back from my recruiter. Does no answer mean we were not selected or wait listed or do they really need over a month to decide.

AVB2014 said he received the HSCP from the HSCP board about two weeks ago I believe. But I have yet to hear back from my recruiter. Does no answer mean we were not selected or wait listed or do they really need over a month to decide.

Yeah, my recruiter emailed me 2 weeks ago saying he'll let me know when he hears something back. I'm also hoping this isn't bad news...but from past experience it usually is. I'm just surprised this thread has been so quiet.

Yeah, my recruiter emailed me 2 weeks ago saying he'll let me know when he hears something back. I'm also hoping this isn't bad news...but from past experience it usually is. I'm just surprised this thread has been so quiet.

Dang, we have to stay optimistic my friend. But I agree it's like everyone abandoned this thread after they received their scholarships.

From the recruiter, the results will be available this Wed. April 16

You're welcome, duvaldentist. Good luck. I hope you get what you are looking for

That's great to hear!
I got an email from my recruiter telling me I have to resign some security form but that it would not affect my results. Did any of you get this too?

I have not recently, Jaesango, but I have had to resign security forms and other forms in the past.

Last edited:
That's great to hear!
I got an email from my recruiter telling me I have to resign some security form but that it would not affect my results. Did any of you get this too?

I had to sign a security clearance form after I submitted my package but that was in the very beginning, I'm not sure if it's the same... Anyone know how many HSCP spots they had available for this board.

Recruiter says the results are not ready yet

Dang, I've been sitting by my phone all day long waiting to get the call... Feels like hearing back from dental schools all over again. Did your recruiter tell you approximately when they would have the results.