4 year Navy HPSP 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talked to my recruiter earlier today and he said that there will be a board in mid March. Sounds like there will be few, if any, scholarships left by that point though. Good luck to everyone anyway!

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that my app was reviewed at the Feb 12 boards. My recruiter told me before the boards that my app was professionally reccommended and set to be reviewed feb 12. Today he called me and said that under my status from the boards it said I needed a letter of good standing from my university--does this mean that my app was incomplete and I wasn't reviewed? I thought that professionally reccommended meant that it was...do I still have a shot?

According to my recruiter there are 2 phases of recommendations. First is by your recruiter whether he "does not recommend", "recommends", or "professionally recommends" you. Second is by the actual board committee on whether they "recommend" or "not recommend" you.

Talked to my recruiter earlier today and he said that there will be a board in mid March. Sounds like there will be few, if any, scholarships left by that point though. Good luck to everyone anyway!

I was gold the same thing.. I'm boarding in march so I am glad that there are some scholarships left at least..

Members don't see this ad :)
According to my recruiter there are 2 phases of recommendations. First is by your recruiter whether he "does not recommend", "recommends", or "professionally recommends" you. Second is by the actual board committee on whether they "recommend" or "not recommend" you.

does the 2nd professional recommendation from the board committee mean you got the scholarship?

does the 2nd professional recommendation from the board committee mean you got the scholarship?

I believe that's mostly how it works. They recommend you and then someone higher up has to approve.

Has anyone who has been professionally recommended sworn in yet? Or done anything besides submit the Academic Statement?

For those of you applied/received the hpsp scholarship this year, did you guys have to go through a security clearance interview?

My packet is being submitted for the march board but I recently received a call from a United States personnel investigator t who wanted to conduct an interview regarding the things that I put down on my application.

Anyone have any idea what this interview means?

For those of you applied/received the hpsp scholarship this year, did you guys have to go through a security clearance interview?

My packet is being submitted for the march board but I recently received a call from a United States personnel investigator t who wanted to conduct an interview regarding the things that I put down on my application.

Anyone have any idea what this interview means?
It's just an interview to go over your NASIS answers. Pretty basic. Took me 35min. Btw, have them make the drive to you, don't drive to them.

It's just an interview to go over your NASIS answers. Pretty basic. Took me 35min. Btw, have them make the drive to you, don't drive to them.

thanks man. I did that today. Do you know if we have to be cleared before boarding? I am afraid the result won't come out soon enough for me to make the march board.

also any word on when the march board is?

thanks man. I did that today. Do you know if we have to be cleared before boarding? I am afraid the result won't come out soon enough for me to make the march board.

also any word on when the march board is?
Nope you don't, I actually didn't have my interview until after I had been awarded the scholarship

Does anyone know what "selection pending" means in terms of application status? My app was looked at on Feb 12 by the boards but it was missing a letter of good standing from my undergrad university. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what "selection pending" means in terms of application status? My app was looked at on Feb 12 by the boards but it was missing a letter of good standing from my undergrad university. Thanks!

It means exactly that. But your application may have been kicked down since it was missing that letter. You should ask your recruiter.

it likely means a decision hasn't been made yet (due to incomplete application)

Edit: Read your post wrong.

I'm boarding next week. There's 2 this month.

there are two boards in march ??? what are the dates if you know??..

i thought there were few scholarships left lol...I dont understand why would they hold more board meetings, especially since feb had 2 boards...

there are two boards in march ??? what are the dates if you know??..

i thought there were few scholarships left lol...I dont understand why would they hold more board meetings, especially since feb had 2 boards...

I believe they're 1 week apart from each other. The first one was on March 7th according to my recruiter. The second one is next week. But from what you're saying, maybe there is one and they delayed everything to next week...

The board next week will be the final board and pretty much everyone is expected to be put on alternate

oh pffttt, yeah im boarding next week then.. I got a call from my recruiter today asking if i wanted to receive the HSCP IN CASE i wasn't offered HPSP. I guess this could be a sign that i will be automatically put on the OML/offered the hscp instead...

When does the result form March 12th board come out?

Got a call from my recruiter today but he wouldn't tell me the result. I have to come see him in his office tomorrow to find out...

:(

Got a call from my recruiter today but he wouldn't tell me the result. I have to come see him in his office tomorrow to find out...

:(

Sorry to hear that. But this late in the cycle I'm expecting everyone to receive a no/alternate.
Were you placed on alternate? When was your board date?

Sorry to hear that. But this late in the cycle I'm expecting everyone to receive a no/alternate.
Were you placed on alternate? When was your board date?

I don't think I got placed on the OML because my recruiter didn't say anything about it. I boarded last week..

I spoke with my recruiter and he told me there are no more HPSP scholarships, only HSCP. :'(

I spoke with my recruiter just like everyone else today. I was placed on the alternate list. He asked me if I was still interested (of course right?!) and that he'd said an academic update form to attach to my app to hopefully boost my chances if something comes up. That being said, I'm fairly certain I'm not anywhere close to the top of the OML, so I'll just have to find another way to pay for things, and prep for reapplication. Considering the force draw down, I imagine HPSP for all branches will become increasingly more competitive. Still, I'm crossing my fingers for hoping that someon on this board will get chosen off the alternate list. :xf:

I spoke with my recruiter just like everyone else today. I was placed on the alternate list. He asked me if I was still interested (of course right?!) and that he'd said an academic update form to attach to my app to hopefully boost my chances if something comes up. That being said, I'm fairly certain I'm not anywhere close to the top of the OML, so I'll just have to find another way to pay for things, and prep for reapplication. Considering the force draw down, I imagine HPSP for all branches will become increasingly more competitive. Still, I'm crossing my fingers for hoping that someon on this board will get chosen off the alternate list. :xf:

My recruiter said last year there were approximately 40 people on the alternate list and they all got selected in October when the Navy opened up more slots. This year they'll do the same but considering how competitive it is, i'm sure there will be more than 40 people on the alternate. The listing won't come out until the very last board....according to my recruiter.

Sorry if you mentioned this already but do you mind sharing your stats?

Just sat down with my recruiter today and he said I was rejected for the HPSP. Also my name would be wayyy down on the OML and that I would stand no chance of getting off.

Last edited:
Just sat down with my recruiter today and he said I was rejected for the HPSP. Also my name would be wayyy down on the OML and that I would stand no chance of getting off. However, the result came back with a note that I was pre-selected for HSCP. Since I didn't indicate hscp as my second choice I would have to send a letter again to the board if I am interested...

Really contemplating on doing it now since I am going to a state school...
what school is that? It might be better in the long run for you doing hscp?

what school is that? It might be better in the long run for you doing hscp?
Rutgers

my tuition is 50k a year but living in dorm is around 20k/year...
my recruiter ran down the number and I would receive around 56k/year with hscp...and i'd also be making more after dental school (5100 vs 3800) in base pay

Oh damn, ok i'm really worried now lol. With your tuition/cost of living being relatively low HSCP might be a good choice. However, you should keep in mind that you will still owe 4 years after graduation (i'm sure you already know). Personally for me, i'm only applying b/c i'll be out with 400k loans and 4 years of slavery is better than paying that off for the next 30 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Rutgers

my tuition is 50k a year but living in dorm is around 20k/year...
my recruiter ran down the number and I would receive around 56k/year with hscp...and i'd also be making more after dental school (5100 vs 3800) in base pay

How do you figure 56k per year? My calculations are much less desirable than yours. Were you using E6 pay?

I got denied the HPSP but offered the HSCP yesterday. My school is very expensive so I am trying to weigh my options here.

How do you figure 56k per year? My calculations are much less desirable than yours. Were you using E6 pay?

I got denied the HPSP but offered the HSCP yesterday. My school is very expensive so I am trying to weigh my options here.
If your school is very expensive, 3 year hpsp might still be better than 4 years of HSCP, I'm sure you know this, just thought I'd mention it so you could run the numbers.

My recruiter said last year there were approximately 40 people on the alternate list and they all got selected in October when the Navy opened up more slots. This year they'll do the same but considering how competitive it is, i'm sure there will be more than 40 people on the alternate. The listing won't come out until the very last board....according to my recruiter.

Sorry if you mentioned this already but do you mind sharing your stats?

3.4 21AA/TS. As I said, probably WAY down on the list. As far as I know, HSCP was not given as an option for me. Regardless, I only have an acceptance to a private school, waitlisted everywhere else (including state school).

If your school is very expensive, 3 year hpsp might still be better than 4 years of HSCP, I'm sure you know this, just thought I'd mention it so you could run the numbers.

Is the three year HPSP really competitive? and since there are so many for the 4 year HPSP is there for certain going to be 3 year HPSP next year?

Is the three year HPSP really competitive? and since there are so many for the 4 year HPSP is there for certain going to be 3 year HPSP next year?
Navy doesn't have 3 year. You either get pulled off alternate when they open up more slots in october or you're not.

yes I was

E6 base pay : 2380
BAH: 1983
BAS: 357

total : 4720/month approximately or 56k/year

also don't forget u'll get health insurance while hpsp people don't...

yes I was

E6 base pay : 2380
BAH: 1983
BAS: 357

total : 4720/month approximately or 56k/year

also don't forget u'll get health insurance while hpsp people don't...
Hpsp get health insurance, if it's required by the school, we are provided with it.

hhmm.. I guess my recruiter is LYING.. I am gonna ask him if that was one of his failed tricks to persuade me to do HSCP..
Maybe he meant you'll be covered under the military's insurance policy? Since you're considered active duty. To be honest I don't know, but definitely check with your recruiter

Last edited:
hhmm.. I guess my recruiter is LYING.. I am gonna ask him if that was one of his failed tricks to persuade me to do HSCP..

Nah, recruiters are always completely knowledgeable :rolleyes:. Just be careful what you post, there's enough identifying info on this board already. Don't want to burn any bridges.