4.0 but 504 on FL2-- MCAT advice desperately needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedasaurus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently got a 504 on FL2 (127/123/128/126) after getting a 507 on FL1 (125/126/128/128). I really am not sure what to do. I test in 3 weeks (8/27), and I originally wanted to get a 515+ but at this point would be ecstatic about a 510. I obviously struggle with CARS (and my assessment is that this is due mostly to reading speed) but all my other sections aren't the best either. I could either push for another 3 weeks, or resign myself to taking the exam in January and studying slow but steady over the next few months. There are 2 things that concern me the most: 1) if I take the exam in 3 weeks and either have to retake or I void, then I will have lost FL3 and FL4 as a future resource and gauge for my readiness. 2) If I take the exam in January, I am worried about forgetting information (I'm not sure if this can be offset by Anki?).

I never thought I would be struggling so much for a 510. I graduated undergrad with a 4.0 as a biology major, and I often set the curve in many of my classes. I know the MCAT is a different beast, but I thought my skills from undergrad would at least translate a little more than this... As for CARS, I have literally been a writing tutor for years who tutors students on an assignment called a "summary of argument". So I think speed is what really kills me.

I feel very hopeless and at this point I have very little confidence. What should I do? Can CARS actually be improved? For reference with where I am in my studying: I still have ~1000 UWorld Qs and over half of AAMC Section Banks and Q Packs left. I have also completed Anki decks for physics and ochem/genchem/biochem, but still have 1000 psych/soc Anki and most of bio Anki left. I could push for 3 weeks and try to get as much of this done as possible (I highly doubt I can get all of it done), or I could spread these resources + maybe more over the next few months. If I study for the next few months, could a 515+ be possible at that point?

Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Postpone your exam right now. There's no point in getting a subpar score when you know you can do better. Just get the stress out the door and postpone.

2. You have barely touched P/S anki, barely finished UWorld, and from what I can tell have only taken 2 FLs. You should only be using AAMC FLs after you have completed 'content review' which encapsulates UWorld, Anki, third party FLs, and the like.

It doesn't really sound like you're struggling to get a good score. It sounds like you just didn't study lmao. Your PS score at a 128 without anki is decent and can be increased quickly via content. CP is easily 128'able by grinding third party CP sections and learning equations. You havn't finished CARS AAMC practice and I assume you aren't rigorously learning from your mistakes and analyzing passages judging from your current study plan.

Reactions: 1 user
I never thought I would be struggling so much for a 510. I graduated undergrad with a 4.0 as a biology major, and I often set the curve in many of my classes. I know the MCAT is a different beast, but I thought my skills from undergrad would at least translate a little more than this... As for CARS, I have literally been a writing tutor for years who tutors students on an assignment called a "summary of argument". So I think speed is what really kills me
I tutor for the mcat specifically the cars section most often and it is such a tricky section. Folks can have 4.0s, great backgrounds and literacy, but get destroyed when they have to read 9 passages and answer 55 questions in an hour and a half. As the poster mentioned above, it can be improved but it takes time. If you were my student, with the goal score that you have, I would be recommending postponing the mcat till this June or coming spring.

There is so much that goes on in an AAMC CARS passage that it really does take strategy, practice, and time to get a handle on all the things you need to keep an eye out for while testing. Best of luck to you.

Postpone the exam. The way to cars glory is to do it every day. I recommend to my students doing 3 cars passages per day except for 2 days when you do a full length cars section (which can be part of a full length practice exam) and a day of rest after the exam.

If you know others studying at the same time as you, do a cars study group. I had 2 friends and every week we would meet up and do and review a full section.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors