506 -> 504 retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple Jacks4

Reaction score
Hello i took the MCAT the first time in January 2022 and got a 506 (129/122/128/127) which I was not originally happy with so I retook the exam on 9/9 and just got my scores back. I ended up getting a 504 (128/123/126/127) this time around. I was honestly shocked with my score because I felt as if I knew almost everything on my exam. Also my FL averages both time around were 512 both times around. I currently have a 3.80 GPA and 3.75 science GPA at a University. I was planning on applying this cycle but I am not sure what to do know. Should I apply anyways with my good GPA and ECs or take time and retake it later?I am kind of lost right now and dont know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a breath, and I'd hold off. This is your first post, so there's no insights about what you did or any resources you used. We also don't have an application profile to make any calls to see if your EC's are sufficient. I presume you were told they were.

Who else have you talked with about this? What does your prehealth office say?

The last thing you could do is retake without a real plan to get a score that fits your FL averages (which actually I would have still strived for even higher because you never shot "at" a target).

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a breath, and I'd hold off. This is your first post, so there's no insights about what you did or any resources you used. We also don't have an application profile to make any calls to see if your EC's are sufficient. I presume you were told they were.

Who else have you talked with about this? What does your prehealth office say?

The last thing you could do is retake without a real plan to get a score that fits your FL averages (which actually I would have still strived for even higher because you never shot "at" a target).
Thank you for your response and I will into depth about my resources used to study for the MCAT and my ECs. So to study I used the Med School Insiders course for the content which came with a complementary flashcard system called Memm. After taking this course I did feel very comfortable with the content. As I went through each section I would do timed 59 Q blocks of UWorld that corresponded to the section I had just studied. And pretty much repeated this processes for all the sections and UW questions. I broke up the UW questions into 3 parts so I could do the same topic a few weeks later. As I went through my UW questions after I would make Anki flashcards for any incorrect concepts I did not understand or apply correctly. This is what I did for content and then about 1.5 months prior to my exam I switched over to the AAMC material. For CARS I dedicated about an hour a day just to answer CARS questions on Jack Westin or the AAMC packs and review them. With about 1 month left I began taking the AAMC Fls each Friday and simulated testing conditions.

As for my ECs:

Clinical:
  • Intern at my local doctors office for about 200 hours, recorded vitals for his patients. (2021)
  • Scribe - none yet, starting in a few weeks
Shadowing:
  • Shadowed local neurosurgeon at my local hospital for about 250 hours (2021)
  • Planning on shadowing trauma surgeon at my local university's hospital in a few weeks
Non-Clinical:
  • Food Bank Volunteer about 100 hours (2021-2022)
  • Prevention Point Philadelphia 15 hours (2022)
  • Delmarva Blast Volunteer Coach 250 hours (2020-2021)
  • Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for Organic Chemistry (2022)
Research:
  • Neuroscience and Cognition Lab about 700 hours (2021-2022)

Also I have not really spoken to anyone about this expect my friends and family but I will be getting in contact with my pre health office later this week. Thank you so much!