Desperately need study advice/help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highlander11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright SDN, I need you here.

I began studying for the MCAT on September 1st for an expected test date in January. However, I have very quickly run into some hiccups. My motivation does not seem to be lacking, but it does seem to be drained by the thought of how much information I have to know. For reference, here are my study resources:

Kaplan Book Set
UWorld Qbank
Access to Kaplan Quizlet (chapter by chapter)
Access to ANKI Quizlet (corresponds to Kaplan books)
AAMC Online Bundle
Multiple 3rd party Practice Exams

I am struggling with a multitude of things:

1. Balancing MCAT studying with other college courses.

Yes, I am taking a lighter load but I still find it near impossible to study for the MCAT knowing that there is more I could be doing for other classes I am in. It is not as bad during non-test weeks, but I recently had a test and could not consciously allow myself to study for some random Psyc/Soc chapter instead of studying for my exam.

2. Knowing the most effective way to study:

I am having trouble deciphering what information to really study and what to leave out. I have so many tools at my disposal, but am just unsure how to most effectively study and learn the material. It feels overwhelming at times. I am typically a best learner by experience and repetition (practice exams, flashcards, etc.)

3. How am I going to remember in November/December what I read in these first two weeks? Is there a best way to ensure retainability of information studied?

The bottom line is I am seeking any and all advice from anyone. You can look at my study resources in order to best provide advice if need be. I am confident I will do what needs to get done and in my discipline to the material; I would just love to do this in the most effective way possible. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have so many tools at my disposal, but am just unsure how to most effectively study and learn the material. It feels overwhelming at times.

You have analysis paralysis. There are so many resources out there for this exam that when you try to study you start thinking "Is this the best way to study?" instead of actually studying. You need to commit to one study plan and follow that.

drained by the thought of how much information I have to know

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. You need to try to focus on small goals, like doing one Kaplan chapter or doing 50 UWorld questions each day.

How am I going to remember in November/December what I read in these first two weeks? Is there a best way to ensure retainability of information studied?

Anki.

My personal plan was split into two phases: content review followed by practice passages/exams. I started with the Kaplan books, but I quickly learned that trying to learn everything in them was really inefficient because I was spending hours and hours on one chapter. I am an anki fiend so I got one of the decks from r/MCAT and used that exclusively for 6 weeks to get a solid foundation. Then I started with UWorld while continuing to review Anki every day, and adding anything unclear from UWorld to Anki. As I ended Uworld I started doing a 3rd-party practice test each weekend, then in the month before my exam I was all AAMC while continuing to do my daily Anki reviews. Original goal was 510, ended up at 515.

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC Topic list + mcat-review.org are good for knowing what you should know for the test. I wouldn't worry about differentiating high-yield/low yield when you have 4 months to study.

I also second the anki. Pre-made decks + your own is great for long term usage (go to anking on youtube to learn how to optimize your anki settings)

Also, make a schedule (doesn't have to be perfect), even just a list of goals each day for one week or month at a time. Take practice tests periodically to prompt what areas you need to focus on and adjust your study schedule to prioritize weaker areas.

Always prioritize your classes, then do MCAT stuff when you have the time. Save AAMC materials for winter break. MCAT is generally fixable/delayable, but your GPA isn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright SDN, I need you here.

I began studying for the MCAT on September 1st for an expected test date in January. However, I have very quickly run into some hiccups. My motivation does not seem to be lacking, but it does seem to be drained by the thought of how much information I have to know. For reference, here are my study resources:

Kaplan Book Set
UWorld Qbank
Access to Kaplan Quizlet (chapter by chapter)
Access to ANKI Quizlet (corresponds to Kaplan books)
AAMC Online Bundle
Multiple 3rd party Practice Exams

I am struggling with a multitude of things:

1. Balancing MCAT studying with other college courses.

Yes, I am taking a lighter load but I still find it near impossible to study for the MCAT knowing that there is more I could be doing for other classes I am in. It is not as bad during non-test weeks, but I recently had a test and could not consciously allow myself to study for some random Psyc/Soc chapter instead of studying for my exam.

2. Knowing the most effective way to study:

I am having trouble deciphering what information to really study and what to leave out. I have so many tools at my disposal, but am just unsure how to most effectively study and learn the material. It feels overwhelming at times. I am typically a best learner by experience and repetition (practice exams, flashcards, etc.)

3. How am I going to remember in November/December what I read in these first two weeks? Is there a best way to ensure retainability of information studied?

The bottom line is I am seeking any and all advice from anyone. You can look at my study resources in order to best provide advice if need be. I am confident I will do what needs to get done and in my discipline to the material; I would just love to do this in the most effective way possible. Thank you in advance!
You're overwhelmed, and you're psyching yourself out.

Just put your head down, pace yourself, and grind it out. You have all the right materials, and the perfect amount of time (IMHO). You will remember in December through the repetition of seeing the same things over and over again as you drill through the QBanks and FLs after content review. Classwork always has to come first, otherwise you'll be asking about reinvention after the semester. After classwork, treat this like a job between now and January. Devote a few hours as many days a week as you have to in order to get through content review in 6-8 weeks, and then spend the next two months on practice, practice, practice. If your foundation is solid, you'll do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically what everyone said above. When I was laying out my study plan I made a list of all the things I would purchase, but didn't purchase them until I was done with the previous materials. Helped me not feel too overwhelmed, and kind of goal orientated. I read every chapter in the Kaplan book set (skimmed the stuff I was good at and did an indepth on the weak materials), took an exam, then also used the princeton stuff for the really weak material. For psych is was purely the 300 page doc. Also, ANKI EVERYDAY! And make your own Anki Cards too on the things you consistently miss. I made sure that I had a relatively easy workload in terms of classes and work.

Kaplan books can get you lost in the weeds. The Kaplan quicksheet (or the Milesdown review sheet) plus the 86 page Khan Academy Psych/Soc doc will get you very, very far. These are free resources.

I would say start your studying with about two weeks or so of content review. Then take a FL from a test bank provider, any kind. Get your scores back and analyze each section score, questions missed, topics/content categories missed and keep a running document of all of these details. When analyzing missed questions, figure out why you missed the questions you did, your thought processes behind your answers, why your answer (and other answers) are wrong and why the right answer is right. Keep a running list of terms to cover later on w/ this document. After this, go back and study again, review all content (pick one full set of content books from a prep company, PR, Kaplan, ExamK) and when reaching topics you missed, pay close attention to the relevant terms and concepts, targeting your study to your weak areas. Then after about 4 weeks to one month, take another FL and repeat.

You are ready to take the MCAT when you can score at least a 510-512 on 2+ successive FLs, with at least 126-127 CARS every FL. This exam is so expensive and time consuming in many ways that you want to avoid retaking it, when possible. In addition, all MCAT scores are viewed by adcoms, so you really want to make sure your first is as good as it can be (510+). Do not rush to take this exam. I repeat, do not rush to take this exam. Make sure your first MCAT score is sufficient (510-512+) so that you don't have to potentially explain yourself to adcoms. I cannot stress this enough, even if it feels like time is running out (and years are subtracting from your lifespan). One great MCAT score will be worth a 1-2 year delay.

And keep up the great work! :)

Last edited: