31Q sGPA 3.82/cGPA 3.91 (KY resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m2k

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please critique my selection and advise for adding few more to the list:

I'm not looking for top tier schools. I would like to have mid tier and some safety schools.

Here is some unusual stats:

I have:
- BCPM of 3.71 for 37.5 HRS during High school (I took all my courses at University during Junior and Senior year of High School)
- BCPM of 4.0 for 23.5 HRS during Freshman year.
- (combine BCPM = 3.82)
- Total GPA of 3.86 for 78.50 during High School
- Total GPA of 4.0 for 41.5 during Freshman Year
- (Combined Total GPA = 3.91)

1.George Washington
2. Georgetown
3. Howard
4. Marshall
5. Meharry
6. Saint Louis University
7. University of Cincinnati
8. University of Kentucky
9. University of Louisville
10. West Virginia

And I don't want to wait another year. Should I add DO schools.

I'm 19 years old... would this put me at dis-advantage?

Thanks for your input,

Members don't see this ad.

When are you planning to apply? By the looks of things you've just finished freshman year...

When are you planning to apply? By the looks of things you've just finished freshman year...

Now.. this cycle

Yes, I have finished freshman year. But I'll graduate in a year. I'm Anthropology major with Bio as minor

Members don't see this ad :)
Now.. this cycle

Yes, I have finished freshman year. But I'll graduate in a year. I'm Anthropology major with Bio as minor
Are you URM? If not, take out Meharry and Howard. Purchase a copy of the MSAR and check out the Chicago schools and the Ohio schools that would be considered "matches" for you (e.g., Rosalind Franklin, Toledo, etc.).

Are you URM? If not, take out Meharry and Howard. Purchase a copy of the MSAR and check out the Chicago schools and the Ohio schools that would be considered "matches" for you (e.g., Rosalind Franklin, Toledo, etc.).

Thanks,

What is URM?

I'm using LizzyM spreadsheet. Would MSAR be better resource? I know MSAR will have more data. I like the spread sheet with quick view....

I think you should apply to more schools, 10 schools is pretty risky, even with good numbers. This is especially true given your young age and if you're from California.

URM = Underrepresented in medicine = Black, Hispanic, Native American, Martian.

Thanks,

Not URM.

I know Meharry and Howard used to be pre-dominantly african-american. Is it still the case? I used LizzM score.. and both are in my reach... from your reply it seems that there are other factors that will exclude me getting into these schools.

I think you should apply to more schools, 10 schools is pretty risky, even with good numbers. This is especially true given your young age and if you're from California.

URM = Underrepresented in medicine = Black, Hispanic, Native American, Martian.

Thanks,

I'm not from California... I'm from Kentucky.

I know my scores are average and have to apply to more schools. That's why I'm soliciting some suggestions. e.g. I did not that I should not have considered Howard and Maherry.. If they send me secondary, I'll just ignore it?

Thanks,

I'm not from California... I'm from Kentucky.

I know my scores are average and have to apply to more schools. That's why I'm soliciting some suggestions. e.g. I did not that I should not have considered Howard and Maherry.. If they send me secondary, I'll just ignore it?
If they send you a secondary and a) you wouldn't mind attending a lower-tier historically-black college/university (HBCU) and b) you have the cash, you might as well submit it. Both Meharry and Howard still tend to have a large representation of URM students in their matriculating classes, so you'll undoubtedly be fighting an uphill battle.

You're best served applying to more med schools as well. Take a look at the schools I mentioned previously as well as other schools in your region, as location appears to be your deciding factor.

You're best served applying to more med schools as well. Take a look at the schools I mentioned previously as well as other schools in your region, as location appears to be your deciding factor.

Thanks, I sure will.

Location is not that important other than being realistic chance. I left CA, TX and others which have heavy bias towards in-state applicants

Many medical schools do not really like students to graduate early from undergraduate program. You are trying to graduate a whole 2 years early which does not give them a lot to go by. They do not care about high school anymore. Your high school scores and everything is just a history. You only need the high school things to get into undergraduate schools not to medical schools.

Could you please critique this list. It is too big I think - considering I applied to nine schools already as mentioned above. By applying, does not mean that I'll get secondaries from all of them. I already have secondaries from 6 schools. I do expect one more KY.

Do you think I'm crazy??

Loyala, IL
Missouri, Kansas City
Wake Forest, NC
Albany, NY
NY Medical, NY
Toledo, OH
Wright State, OH ??
Jefferson, PA
Temple, PA
Drexel, PA
Commonwealth, PA
Penn State, PA
Utah, UT
Creighton, NE
Tulane, LA
Chicago, Med Franklin
West Virginia, WV
Hofstra, NY
Commonwealth, VA
Eastern Virginia, VA
Vermont, VT

Could you please critique this list. It is too big I think - considering I applied to nine schools already as mentioned above. By applying, does not mean that I'll get secondaries from all of them. I already have secondaries from 6 schools. I do expect one more KY.

Do you think I'm crazy??

Loyala, IL
Missouri, Kansas City
Wake Forest, NC
Albany, NY
NY Medical, NY
Toledo, OH
Wright State, OH ??
Jefferson, PA
Temple, PA
Drexel, PA
Commonwealth, PA
Penn State, PA
Utah, UT
Creighton, NE
Tulane, LA
Chicago, Med Franklin
West Virginia, WV
Hofstra, NY
Commonwealth, VA
Eastern Virginia, VA
Vermont, VT

I can't comment on the other schools but Hofstra's average matriculant MCAT score was much higher according to their website (34/35 if I remember correctly)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

I can't comment on the other schools but Hofstra's average matriculant MCAT score was much higher according to their website (34/35 if I remember correctly)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

Thanks, it says MCAT 33 and GPA 3.56.

Last edited: