Navy, Army, AF HPSP recipients - what does your day, week, yr look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone that has done or is currently doing the HPSP can you briefly explain what you do day to day, how are your weekends, how much free time do you have, any breaks during the year, etc. Just would like to know more information!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
(for the Army)

as an HPSP student, your only obligation is to be a student. that's it. focus on school.

once a year you have to do a PHA (periodic health assessment) just to keep the army updated on your current health status. you may/may not have to attend BOLC (commissioned officer training) if you have the time once either during dental school or you can wait to go after you graduate. either way, you have to fill out a form online stating if you can go or if you can't go (school prevents you from taking 45 consecutive days to attend training).

long story short--the only obligation you have is to be a student, get a physical done once a year, and get some paperwork done once a year. that's it.

(for the Army)

as an HPSP student, your only obligation is to be a student. that's it. focus on school.

once a year you have to do a PHA (periodic health assessment) just to keep the army updated on your current health status. you may/may not have to attend BOLC (commissioned officer training) if you have the time once either during dental school or you can wait to go after you graduate. either way, you have to fill out a form online stating if you can go or if you can't go (school prevents you from taking 45 consecutive days to attend training).

long story short--the only obligation you have is to be a student, get a physical done once a year, and get some paperwork done once a year. that's it.
Oh I meant after you graduate from dental school and you actually start serving

Members don't see this ad :)
Active duty Navy dentist here. At my Command, I work 0645-1600 on Tues and Thurs, and 0645-1500 Mon, Wed, and Fri (get out early for individual PT). Weekends are my own time. I have Dental Duty Officer watch one day per month (could be a weekend), which is like being on call for dental emergencies that happen after normal business hours. You just carry a cell phone, and if someone calls you in the middle of the night, you get in your uniform and drive to the clinic to evaluate and treat the patient. As for time off, in addition to being off on weekends, you get a liberty period (3 or 4 day weekend) associated with most federal holidays. You also get 30 days of paid leave per year.

Reactions: 1 users
Active duty Navy dentist here. At my Command, I work 0645-1600 on Tues and Thurs, and 0645-1500 Mon, Wed, and Fri (get out early for individual PT). Weekends are my own time. I have Dental Duty Officer watch one day per month (could be a weekend), which is like being on call for dental emergencies that happen after normal business hours. You just carry a cell phone, and if someone calls you in the middle of the night, you get in your uniform and drive to the clinic to evaluate and treat the patient. As for time off, in addition to being off on weekends, you get a liberty period (3 or 4 day weekend) associated with most federal holidays. You also get 30 days of paid leave per year.

Very similar to the Army.

how much do they pay you a year?

Assuming you are a licensed dentist with no-prior service or significant experience in private practice, you'll make somewhere around $85,000 - 95,000 depending on where you are stationed and whether or not you have dependents.