3 days to decide, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program?

• George Squared ABS

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • UBuffalo MA Biology

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea Leaf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd go with UBuffalo. The tuition is a third of the other program, and it doesn't really matter where you do your postbacc as far as adcoms are concerned. Go there, do well in your prereqs, and you'll be fine.

Can you add some additional information such as your GPA and why you are looking at postbac programs and masters programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you add some additional information such as your GPA and why you are looking at postbac programs and masters programs?
My GPA is 3.1 with a strong upward trend. I am looking for a postbacc/masters program to enhance my academic record and become a more competitive applicant.

I have already completed my prereqs and have a B.S. in Biology, just to be clear!

So you are leaning towards the George squared program?

If it’s a SMP then yes. Ideally you would attend one attached to a medical school and have classes with medical students. It would be great if there was a linkage or guaranteed interview pending performance in the program.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing I forgot to ask is what are your goals: MD, DO, or doesn’t matter to you?

I am having difficulty deciding between 2 different post bacc/masters programs, and need some advice. I graduated with a B.S. in Biology and a 3.12 GPA with a strong upward trend. I applied postbacc/masters program to help enhance my academic record and become a more competitive applicant. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what you think is the better option and why.

George Squared Advanced Biomedical Sciences Program
Pros:
  • Focused, close-knit program
  • Lots of support and advising available
  • Structured curriculum: Fall- biochemistry and molecular bio, Biostatistics, Cell Bio. Spring- Human physiology, human anatomy
  • Certificate takes 1 year, with the option to continue coursework over the summer at Georgetown and obtain an MS in Physiology
  • MCAT prep included
Cons:
  • Cost of tuition: 32K
  • No committee letter

UBuffalo MA Biological Sciences
Pros:
  • Cost of tuition: 13K
  • Can obtain a pre-health committee letter
  • Option to complete coursework in 1 year accelerated, typically takes longer
Cons:
  • Not sure if this is a pro or con but the program is more research focused and requires completion of a research project
  • Program and curriculum is not structured, you can choose what classes you'd like to take from multiple departments (certain amount of credits must be from bio dept), and you are kind of left alone to do your own thing and figure it out
Pick the program that is:
  1. shortest
  2. has the best linkage
  3. is cheapest

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.