3.92 GPA, 3.89sGPA, 27MCAT :-(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reidmike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the breakdown on the MCAT 10B, 10P, 7V:eek: Q essay..I have 2 years of research (including poster presentation), 2 years Hospice volunteering, 2 summers shadowing, chairman of Medical Forum in AMSA, 3 semesters hospital volunteering, great LORS, volunteer at center for adults with learning impairments and, I think, really good essays. How come I think the 7V is gonna kill me???:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The verbal of 7 is going to be a problem. Is it a fluke? Were you doing better on practice tests?

Look at the school selection spreadsheet stickied at the top of the forum. Move right to bottom 10th percentile for Verbal. Look at all the schools where 7 or less is listed. See if any of them are open to out of staters. Are any in your state? You'll see that a lot are meant for special population groups that you may or may not qualify for. Generate a list of schools. How many are there? And what is your state school?

The ECs look terrific. The cGPA is amazing. WHat happened with the MCAT? Are you planning to retake?

I see that two of your state schools (Florida, from your backposts) have VS 7 as bottom tenth percentile. Maybe you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why I am not planning on retaking it (after a LONG time of contemplation) is that I took all of the AAMC practice tests and had a range of 27-30, with an average section scores of 10B, 9P, 8V (though English is my first language). I studied for the MCAT for about 5 months (taking the Princeton course) and improved 8 points from my first diagnostic test.

I really am dreading the fact that this one stupid section is going ruin my chances this year. I decided that if I retake it after studying for another month (which is about the amount of time left for the last MCAT accepted for this cycle) it won't really make that much of a difference. I may go up in verbal but down in physical, which I don't think is worth the risk.

I am a Florida resident (University of Florida student, not a URM) and have applied to all of the in-state schools along with about 20 other eastern schools (all MD) with more "lenient" MCAT score averages.

Is this just going to be a HUGE waste of money this year if I don't retake it, or do you think I will have the chance to explain my MCAT score in some interviews? Does my 3 years of sacrificing my college experience to get excellent grades not count for much because I am not the greatest at standardized tests? I have taken four English classes in college and have received all A's.

All I can say is that you do have a chance, and I've seen personally the amazing power that excellent ECs can have in overshadowing some bad stats (and you only have one bad stat). Have faith in your ECs, and practice interviewing so you can wow them with that too.

All I can say is that you do have a chance, and I've seen personally the amazing power that excellent ECs can have in overshadowing some bad stats (and you only have one bad stat). Have faith in your ECs, and practice interviewing so you can wow them with that too.

Yeah, you definitely have a shot instate at Florida. However, I think the FL schools are also your only chances, save maybe Tulane, Eastern Virginia, Albany, and NYMC.

I applied to 26 schools...:eek:

That's a healthy number :)

If you post your list, maybe we could suggest which ones not to bother filling out the secondary for, since you can save like at least $80/secondary lol.

Well here goes:
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein (already submitted)
Boston University (already submitted)
Creighton (already submitted)
Drexel
Emory
Florida International (already submitted)
Florida State (already submitted)
George Washington (already submitted)
Loyola
MC of Wisconsin (already submitted)
Michigan State
New York Med College
NYU
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin (already submitted)
University of Miami
Tufts
Tulane (already submitted)
University of Central Florida (already submitted)
University of Florida (about to submit)
UNC
University of South Florida
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest (was notified that I am receiving a secondary)
West Virginia

Wow I am now realizing just how many schools that is once I had to type them all out lol. Anyways, I have already submitted quite a few, but I would really appreciate you guys letting me know where I still may have a shot at an interview from this list (keeping my resume in mind). Does anyone know what the chances of getting an interview at Wake Forest are if you get a secondary? Thanks again for all of your help! I really hope at least some adcoms will look past my ONE poor section (not even science lol).

Well here goes:
Albany Medical College
Drexel

Emory
Loyola
Michigan State
New York Med College

NYU
Penn State
University of Miami
Tufts
UNC
University of South Florida
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest (was notified that I am receiving a secondary)
West Virginia

Wow I am now realizing just how many schools that is once I had to type them all out lol. Anyways, I have already submitted quite a few, but I would really appreciate you guys letting me know where I still may have a shot at an interview from this list (keeping my resume in mind). Does anyone know what the chances of getting an interview at Wake Forest are if you get a secondary? Thanks again for all of your help! I really hope at least some adcoms will look past my ONE poor section (not even science lol).

I think those are the ones you still have a shot at. The problem isn't entirely adcoms "looking past" that 7VR. Some schools just automatically throw out - "screen out" - anyone with an MCAT score of 7 or below in a given section. If you look through older posts you will find people flipping out because they got like a 35 (14/14/7) or some crazy spread like that, and got outright rejected at schools lol.

What about FSU? They have a fairly low MCAT average. This MCAT thing has been haunting me everyday lol. It's like I can hear the admissions people saying "oh it looks like you worked really hard throughout high school and college to get good grades and extracurricular activities to show that medicine is your passion, pretty solid science scores...oooh...wait... SORRRY that ONE verbal section means that you suck at life!" haha. I really can't take that test again this year. I studied FOREVER with everything I could find and still wasn't scoring over a 30. I actually thought I did really poorly on the physical section, not verbal lol.

It took me about 6 times to get a combined score of 1250 on the SAT, so this just reinforces my ability to take standardized tests. Kind of a shame, but I WILL NOT let it stop me from being a doctor that's for sure!

What about FSU? They have a fairly low MCAT average. This MCAT thing has been haunting me everyday lol. It's like I can hear the admissions people saying "oh it looks like you worked really hard throughout high school and college to get good grades and extracurricular activities to show that medicine is your passion, pretty solid science scores...oooh...wait... SORRRY that ONE verbal section means that you suck at life!" haha. I really can't take that test again this year. I studied FOREVER with everything I could find and still wasn't scoring over a 30. I actually thought I did really poorly on the physical section, not verbal lol.

It took me about 6 times to get a combined score of 1250 on the SAT, so this just reinforces my ability to take standardized tests. Kind of a shame, but I WILL NOT let it stop me from being a doctor that's for sure!

Good attitude :thumbup: thats a good thing. I only addressed the schools that didn't say already submitted or about to submit.

You do have a shot at FSU. Just spend an equal amount of time b1tching about that 7VR as well as praying you land that interview. :)

I will be sure to dedicate an equal amount of time to the VR b1tching and interview praying. You can be sure of it! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Reid! I went to the med forum :) You guys did an awesome job!

Anyway, stay hopeful I just got my first interview yesterday, and I feel like I want to encourage everyone who is worried about their MCAT score. I hope you hear good news soon! :xf:

Last edited:
Hey nice to hear from you! Thanks for the encouragement and I'm happy you enjoyed the forum! I decided not to be a director this coming year because I was just kinda getting burned out for one reason or another, but I regret it a bit now...Anyways, congrats on your interview invitation! That is all I want at this point in the game...which it does seem like a game to me lol.

I just got my first rejection today from Boston University, but I wasn't too surprised since a 27 MCAT with 12,000 applications doesn't exactly stand out. I will keep my head up though and just hope for three or four interviews. I at least got a secondary from Wake Forest so I guess I'm "good" enough to get through the first elimination round lol.

Thanks again for the words of encouragement and keep me updated!

By the way when were you complete at George Washington? I have been on hold for "re-review" since about 7/14.

Last edited:
Hey reid,

Definitely don't get your spirits down. I am in a similar situation. cGPA 3.99, sGPA 3.98, MCAT 28S (11PS-7V-10BS). But I got an interview today from my EDP school even thought their lower 10th% in verbal is 8. Hopefully it works out for both of us. Best of luck.

Thanks for your encouragment as well! Congrats to you on the invite! I know if they would just give us the chance we can show that we are much more than a low verbal score, but i guess they have to screen people out somehow or else they would be interviewing 8000 people/year lol. I will hope for the best though, but I will also be prepared to have to do it again next year. I really hope it works out for all of us!

I know someone who got into USF with a 25 MCAT (7-PS 8-VR 10-BS)

They were not a URM and had a 3.9 cGPA

I totally know how you feel!!!! I am a UF student too so I might know u but I kinda dont recognize the pic u have ... lol. Anyway, my mcat was similar to yours and I think all my other stats and EC and everything else are good. I am just worried about this damn mcat... Im working on my secondaries now... and hopefully submitting them all b4 august ends. Good luck with ur apps!

Last edited:
I'd much rather have a low GPA and a high MCAT than the other way around. That just means you had an easy major.

I'd much rather have a low GPA and a high MCAT than the other way around. That just means you had an easy major.

Yup that's exactly what it means. Thanks for downplaying my hard work :) I know you probably think engineering makes you really smart and above the rest of us who have the "regular" biology/chemistry majors, but I would appreciate you keeping you ignorant remarks to yourself. I could easily say that having a low GPA means that you don't care enough about your academics to put the time in to do better, but I know that this isn't always the case. I guess they don't teach how not to be a jerk in your chemical engineering classes (if that's what you a really majoring in). I hope you learn a bit more respect in the future for your future patients' sake because people like you give doctors a bad name.

Last edited:
I totally know how you feel!!!! I am a UF student too so I might know u but I kinda dont recognize the pic u have ... lol. Anyway, I got a 27Q (9/8/10) and I think all my other stats and EC and everything else are good. I am just worried about this damn mcat... Im working on my secondaries now... and hopefully submitting them all b4 august ends. Good luck with ur apps!

Good luck to you too! We will get in somewhere...I'm pretty sure at least :)

dude I compeltely know how you feel. Do you have FAP? it will help you out a lot. I'm applying to 25 schools with my low GPA and MCAT.

you never know until you try. I'm applying to see how it will turn out for me. If I become a reapplicant...then I will seek advising and study harder to bring up my GPA and MCAT scores.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

dude I compeltely know how you feel. Do you have FAP? it will help you out a lot. I'm applying to 25 schools with my low GPA and MCAT.

you never know until you try. I'm applying to see how it will turn out for me. If I become a reapplicant...then I will seek advising and study harder to bring up my GPA and MCAT scores.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Hey man thanks for the post. What is FAP?

Don't pay any attention to this guy. He's bitter over something, as I can tell from some of his previous posts.

Hey man thanks for the post. What is FAP?

Fee Assistance Program. Only people in need get it. You have to submit parents W-2 and tax return.

It reduces your MCAT cost from $225 to $85. Plus if you cancel, you get full refund instead of just $115.

Also 13 free AMCAS schools and free secondaries for schools with fee waivers. I don't know what I will do without it. I wish I had known about it before I registered for my April 2009 MCAT.

Yup that's exactly what it means. Thanks for downplaying my hard work :) I know you probably think engineering makes you really smart and above the rest of us who have the "regular" biology/chemistry majors, but I would appreciate you keeping you ignorant remarks to yourself. I could easily say that having a low GPA means that you don't care enough about your academics to put the time in to do better, but I know that this isn't always the case. I guess they don't teach how not to be a jerk in your chemical engineering classes (if that's what you a really majoring in). I hope you learn a bit more respect in the future for your future patients' sake because people like you give doctors a bad name.

wow... just wow...

1. MCAT is first year intro level class topics. There is nothing on the MCAT that you weren't exposed to in your freshman year.
2. Mentioning my degree is irrelevant. They dont test hardcore thermo, pchem, transport phenomenon, process design or optimization on the MCAT. You don't have any less advantage than me.
3. You say I give doctor's a bad name, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but scoring low on the MCAT isn't exactly bringing pride to the doctor community either is it?

Now, you could have easily solved an extra 10 practice problems during this time. Now go, study some more.

wow... just wow...

1. MCAT is first year intro level class topics. There is nothing on the MCAT that you weren't exposed to in your freshman year.
2. Mentioning my degree is irrelevant. They dont test hardcore thermo, pchem, transport phenomenon, process design or optimization on the MCAT. You don't have any less advantage than me.
3. You say I give doctor's a bad name, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but scoring low on the MCAT isn't exactly bringing pride to the doctor community either is it?

Now, you could have easily solved an extra 10 practice problems during this time. Now go, study some more.
According to popular opinion in this forum, you're a jerk...your comments are not welcome. Have a good time tearing someone else's hard work apart. We're done here.

According to popular opinion in this forum, you're a jerk...your comments are not welcome. Have a good time tearing someone else's hard work apart. We're done here.

didn't see a poll anywhere =)

that being said, though the dude is coming off a bit... gratingly, he does have a good point in that time is likely better spent studying than sdn browsing

didn't see a poll anywhere =)

that being said, though the dude is coming off a bit... gratingly, he does have a good point in that time is likely better spent studying than sdn browsing
Point well taken :)

Point well taken :)

So I would like to point out, your V score may be in the bottom 10th percentile, however your stellar GPA has got to be in the upper part of the scale ( especially for the lesser competitive instate school) so I think you certainly have a chance! Hang in there!

Hey man. My best friend from college had the same problem as you. He had about a 3.9 gpa for both science and overall, he had amazing research/extra curricular experiences and his MCAT score was a 10BS, 7VR, 12PS and a T essay (29T). He got four interviews and is attending medical school at this moment.

However, he did find very quickly that a few schools rejected him flat out because his verbal score was not up to their standards. Of the schools you listed, I know he said he was rejected for the VR7 by Albany Medical College, Boston University, Drexel, MC of Wisconsin (wasn’t an instate resident as well), New York Med College (lately has been very MCAT heavy), NYU, Penn State, and Tufts. Who knows, he may have had poor letters or recommendation, but I highly doubt it with this guy and he swears it was the 7 in VR.

In addition, I can give you advice about schools. AECOM (Einstein) has been known to extend interviews when the Dean comes and visit your school or is part of a local medical school fair. If you are a good guy and the VR is your only fault you have a chance if you act polite and carry on a good conversation. Look for medical school fairs in the area and attend if you can. I spoke with a GW med student (good friend) and he said that they do not really care about MCATs too much and your 7 should not be a problem. Instead they try to find individuals with a wide range of experiences to add to the class's diversity. Also, my friend got an interview from them so I am guessing he was telling the truth. Creighton has one of the best admission's offices out there and will discuss your academic record with you over the phone if you call in. I highly advice you call Creighton and let them know you're highly interested (I'd look into Jesuit institutions, Cura Personales etc. etc.) and you may get an interview. Wake gave you a secondary which is also a good sign. If Vanderbilt gives you a secondary you automatically get an interview (I submitted to Vanderbilt this year and I am waiting).

Long story short, you have a good chance at getting in BUT you cannot complain about the 7 when an interviewer asks you. To be honest, you will be asked the question why did you do so poorly on the verbal reasoning section. Honestly, most interviewers can care less if you come up with an excuse (I normally tested higher/ it was a fluke/ I suck at it etc.), they want you to man up and just say it's not my strong suit, I have been reading more to improve the score and finish by saying we all have strengths and weaknesses and I feel (add a strength or two here) can compensate for your lower verbal score. (Do not state you cannot take tests because you are taking Step 1 Boards sometime. Also, pick characteristics that show you are overall able to handle medical school and Step 1 boards).

Also, your GPA/MCAT score will mean more to them depending on the reputation of your school. If you attended an Ivy League school then your GPA will carry you far, however, if you attended a very small private school that is not very well known your MCAT scores will tend to dictate where you get interviews. It's all a crap shoot.

Anyhow, I hope that helped. Relax, the process is long and just have faith. If you are a Fl resident, I'd make sure you applied to ALL their public schools (not sure if you did that already).

Hey man. My best friend from college had the same problem as you. He had about a 3.9 gpa for both science and overall, he had amazing research/extra curricular experiences and his MCAT score was a 10BS, 7VR, 12PS and a T essay (29T). He got four interviews and is attending medical school at this moment.

However, he did find very quickly that a few schools rejected him flat out because his verbal score was not up to their standards. Of the schools you listed, I know he said he was rejected for the VR7 by Albany Medical College, Boston University, Drexel, MC of Wisconsin (wasn’t an instate resident as well), New York Med College (lately has been very MCAT heavy), NYU, Penn State, and Tufts. Who knows, he may have had poor letters or recommendation, but I highly doubt it with this guy and he swears it was the 7 in VR.

In addition, I can give you advice about schools. AECOM (Einstein) has been known to extend interviews when the Dean comes and visit your school or is part of a local medical school fair. If you are a good guy and the VR is your only fault you have a chance if you act polite and carry on a good conversation. Look for medical school fairs in the area and attend if you can. I spoke with a GW med student (good friend) and he said that they do not really care about MCATs too much and your 7 should not be a problem. Instead they try to find individuals with a wide range of experiences to add to the class's diversity. Also, my friend got an interview from them so I am guessing he was telling the truth. Creighton has one of the best admission's offices out there and will discuss your academic record with you over the phone if you call in. I highly advice you call Creighton and let them know you're highly interested (I'd look into Jesuit institutions, Cura Personales etc. etc.) and you may get an interview. Wake gave you a secondary which is also a good sign. If Vanderbilt gives you a secondary you automatically get an interview (I submitted to Vanderbilt this year and I am waiting).

Long story short, you have a good chance at getting in BUT you cannot complain about the 7 when an interviewer asks you. To be honest, you will be asked the question why did you do so poorly on the verbal reasoning section. Honestly, most interviewers can care less if you come up with an excuse (I normally tested higher/ it was a fluke/ I suck at it etc.), they want you to man up and just say it's not my strong suit, I have been reading more to improve the score and finish by saying we all have strengths and weaknesses and I feel (add a strength or two here) can compensate for your lower verbal score. (Do not state you cannot take tests because you are taking Step 1 Boards sometime. Also, pick characteristics that show you are overall able to handle medical school and Step 1 boards).

Also, your GPA/MCAT score will mean more to them depending on the reputation of your school. If you attended an Ivy League school then your GPA will carry you far, however, if you attended a very small private school that is not very well known your MCAT scores will tend to dictate where you get interviews. It's all a crap shoot.

Anyhow, I hope that helped. Relax, the process is long and just have faith. If you are a Fl resident, I'd make sure you applied to ALL their public schools (not sure if you did that already).

I actually just got my first interview invitation yesterday from Albert Einstein. I'm pretty sure I'm getting one from West Virginia too since I got their secondary and they said that whoever gets a secondary will most likely get an interview. So, slowly I am gaining some confidence back from the low caused by my MCAT score. Obviously, I am not even close to being completely sure of what will happen, but I am getting more postive feedback than I thought I would. I really appreciate your input! This process is definitely rough and takes A LOT of patience, but I feel that if I just relax and do well on my interviews I will have a good chance.

I'm impressed with your 2 years of hospice volunteering. Wasn't that difficult?

I'm impressed with your 2 years of hospice volunteering. Wasn't that difficult?

It was difficult at the start for sure. I lost my dad and my grandfather growing up and hospice care was involved for both of them. It took a while to get over my own fears and sadness, but then I realized that there are SO many people out there who are nearing the end of life and have absolutely NOBODY to be there for them. I have witnessed this time and time again. The family lives out of state and they don't show up to visit the patient until they are barely hanging on. It truly is sad to see, but I do what I can to show them that they don't have to be alone in such a frightening part of their lives.

I mean, if you have a chance to retake it before the next cycle, I would. I got a 27Q my second time and took it one more time in August and scored a 31Q (just one month of studying). That definitely helped me personally; however, currently, you definitely have a chance at the schools that everyone has been telling you about, like instate, Loyola, Drexel, etc....

It was difficult at the start for sure. I lost my dad and my grandfather growing up and hospice care was involved for both of them. It took a while to get over my own fears and sadness, but then I realized that there are SO many people out there who are nearing the end of life and have absolutely NOBODY to be there for them. I have witnessed this time and time again. The family lives out of state and they don't show up to visit the patient until they are barely hanging on. It truly is sad to see, but I do what I can to show them that they don't have to be alone in such a frightening part of their lives.

I hope you get in!!!

and this makes me want to go volunteer at a a hospice to help out!!!

Your ECs rock, you will do fine:thumbup:

Thanks ziggydoc same to you! I'm happy I had somewhat of an impact on you :D

It was difficult at the start for sure. I lost my dad and my grandfather growing up and hospice care was involved for both of them. It took a while to get over my own fears and sadness, but then I realized that there are SO many people out there who are nearing the end of life and have absolutely NOBODY to be there for them.

That must have been horrible. But out of genuine curiosity, do you think med. schools care that you lost your grandfather (assuming you include it in your application)? I'm asking because a lot of grandparents are old and losing them when you're young isn't rare and at all surprising.

Been following the thread for awhile and am consistently surprised to see one "What Are My Chances" thread last so long in the forum. Just wanted to finally put out there that the OP is one of the most positive people I have found on SDN. Best of luck to you! Keep on goin'!

That must have been horrible. But out of genuine curiosity, do you think med. schools care that you lost your grandfather (assuming you include it in your application)? I'm asking because a lot of grandparents are old and losing them when you're young isn't rare and at all surprising.

The point isn't that I lost my grandfather (yes, this happens to a lot of people growing up), but the point I wanted to make is that these two losses involved my first experiences with hospice. These two losses are what ultimately motivated me to want to volunteer my time with people in similar situations.

Been following the thread for awhile and am consistently surprised to see one "What Are My Chances" thread last so long in the forum. Just wanted to finally put out there that the OP is one of the most positive people I have found on SDN. Best of luck to you! Keep on goin'!

Haha. I know what you mean. It also surprises me that this thread has gone on for so long (which is good). All I can say is that maybe if I get accepted this year, I will provide some motivation to people who are really doubting themselves through this crazy process. Don't get me wrong, when I saw my MCAT score I felt like crap lol.

Then, I realized that if one score is going to keep me out of medical school this year then its not meant to be this year. I KNOW that this is my passion and is what I want to do for the rest of my life, so, therefore, I know that I will achieve it somehow. It will be a drag if I don't get in, due to the HUGE amount of money invested in this process, but I feel good about what I have to offer, overall. That is what people in this process have to realize. Excluding the fact that some schools screen out certain scores, you have to trust that you have given everything you could possibly give and see what happens. That's my philosophy anyways.

Now if I don't get accepted this year, you can take everything I say with a grain of salt (you can do that now, of course :p), but I know I have given all that I have to get into medical school. Indeed, I could have studied for the MCAT again, instead of taking some time off for myself, but I didn't and I may pay for this decision this year.

All in all, its hard to stay positive in such a mysterious period in our lives/careers, especially those of us who are wondering if our stats are just going to make the "cut" or not. I say just trust in what you have going for you and leave the rest up to preparation for interviews and fate itself.

Haha. I know what you mean. It also surprises me that this thread has gone on for so long (which is good). All I can say is that maybe if I get accepted this year, I will provide some motivation to people who are really doubting themselves through this crazy process. Don't get me wrong, when I saw my MCAT score I felt like crap lol.

Then, I realized that if one score is going to keep me out of medical school this year then its not meant to be this year. I KNOW that this is my passion and is what I want to do for the rest of my life, so, therefore, I know that I will achieve it somehow. It will be a drag if I don't get in, due to the HUGE amount of money invested in this process, but I feel good about what I have to offer, overall. That is what people in this process have to realize. Excluding the fact that some schools screen out certain scores, you have to trust that you have given everything you could possibly give and see what happens. That's my philosophy anyways.

Now if I don't get accepted this year, you can take everything I say with a grain of salt (you can do that now, of course :p), but I know I have given all that I have to get into medical school. Indeed, I could have studied for the MCAT again, instead of taking some time off for myself, but I didn't and I may pay for this decision this year.

All in all, its hard to stay positive in such a mysterious period in our lives/careers, especially those of us who are wondering if our stats are just going to make the "cut" or not. I say just trust in what you have going for you and leave the rest up to preparation for interviews and fate itself.
word!

Hey! I was wondering if you could tell me what some of the secondary prompts for some of the Florida schools. My application is still getting verified but I want to work on it now since I have time. The schools I still need are UM, FIU, FSU, and UCF. Hope its not too much of a bother. Good luck with all your apps!

Wise words! I've been keeping tabs on your progress, because we're in such similar situations, and it seems like both of us applied and finished our applications for most schools at the same time! Hopefully the early aspect pays off for both of us. I hope this application year goes very well for you! It looks like you're off to a good start!

Congrats for Albert Einstein!! What an awesome school :thumbup: Keep us updated with all your successes!:xf:

OK, so I was bored during lunch, wanted a break from boards study, and wandered into this forum.

A few words of advice... please realize that the MCAT isn't the last standardized test you will have to take. Your difficulty with the SAT and MCAT (especially VR, which is more about reasoning and test taking abilities than specific knowledge) make it more likely that you will also struggle on school written and NBME shelf exams, steps 1, 2, 3, specialty boards, etc. Your GPA and BS/PS MCAT sections demonstrate that you can do well on knowledge specific tests, so it isn't a hopeless cause. There's plenty of knowledge required for med school exams and boards. I'm just pointing out that boards are more similar to the MCAT (and especially VR) than to most school exams you've faced so far. That could be important, especially so if you think a competitive residency might interest you.

Disclaimer - I didn't have the hottest MCAT myself! Don't let me discourage you from interviewing and interviewing well, that isn't my point. I'm just trying to give some waaayyy advanced heads-up that you need to identify what it is about standardized tests, reading, reasoning, whatever that continues to be a sticking point for you and start working on it now (well, after interviews... you've got enough to worry about for the moment) so that it won't be a shock to you in the years to come. Perhaps purchasing one or two year subscriptions to USMLE World and/or Kaplan qbanks and doing a lot of questions early could help. Even though you wouldn't have the specific knowledge in place to answer most questions, the repetition of reading and reasoning out some kind of answer might make a difference. Or, better yet, if you school has ExamMaster available (some schools subscribe so that all students can use the resource) you have access to even more questions and for free. ExamMaster stinks for real board prep, but it would probably serve the purpose of increasing whatever it is you are lacking. Aside from that, try to read read read while in medical school, and I'm not talking about class notes or text books. Read magazines - a decent spread from NEJM or whatever to something about cars, golf, women, whatever you like. Read some history or biographical books. Read whatever interests you.

OK, enough of that. I'd like to comment on that chemE's post... I'm not sure what university he went to, but organic chemistry is about impossible to take during freshman year. I guess you could squeeze in general chem, non-calc physics, and enough biology to have a smattering of genetics, micro, and physiology thrown in, but IMO his assertion that the MCAT tests freshman level material is off the mark. Sophomore is more like it if you are on a typical course. Engineering is difficult, to be sure, but it doesn't turn most students into jerks. ;)

OK, so I was bored during lunch, wanted a break from boards study, and wandered into this forum.

A few words of advice... please realize that the MCAT isn't the last standardized test you will have to take. Your difficulty with the SAT and MCAT (especially VR, which is more about reasoning and test taking abilities than specific knowledge) make it more likely that you will also struggle on school written and NBME shelf exams, steps 1, 2, 3, specialty boards, etc. Your GPA and BS/PS MCAT sections demonstrate that you can do well on knowledge specific tests, so it isn't a hopeless cause. There's plenty of knowledge required for med school exams and boards. I'm just pointing out that boards are more similar to the MCAT (and especially VR) than to most school exams you've faced so far. That could be important, especially so if you think a competitive residency might interest you.

Disclaimer - I didn't have the hottest MCAT myself! Don't let me discourage you from interviewing and interviewing well, that isn't my point. I'm just trying to give some waaayyy advanced heads-up that you need to identify what it is about standardized tests, reading, reasoning, whatever that continues to be a sticking point for you and start working on it now (well, after interviews... you've got enough to worry about for the moment) so that it won't be a shock to you in the years to come. Perhaps purchasing one or two year subscriptions to USMLE World and/or Kaplan qbanks and doing a lot of questions early could help. Even though you wouldn't have the specific knowledge in place to answer most questions, the repetition of reading and reasoning out some kind of answer might make a difference. Or, better yet, if you school has ExamMaster available (some schools subscribe so that all students can use the resource) you have access to even more questions and for free. ExamMaster stinks for real board prep, but it would probably serve the purpose of increasing whatever it is you are lacking. Aside from that, try to read read read while in medical school, and I'm not talking about class notes or text books. Read magazines - a decent spread from NEJM or whatever to something about cars, golf, women, whatever you like. Read some history or biographical books. Read whatever interests you.

OK, enough of that. I'd like to comment on that chemE's post... I'm not sure what university he went to, but organic chemistry is about impossible to take during freshman year. I guess you could squeeze in general chem, non-calc physics, and enough biology to have a smattering of genetics, micro, and physiology thrown in, but IMO his assertion that the MCAT tests freshman level material is off the mark. Sophomore is more like it if you are on a typical course. Engineering is difficult, to be sure, but it doesn't turn most students into jerks. ;)
The verbal was kind of crazy for me. My verbal scores on the ACT & SAT were always the highest of all the scores. I guess I just didn't want to take a chance on my science scores going down. Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it!