3.6cGPA / 30M / Re-applicant. Need help with schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewy88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently getting my AMCAS and AACOMAS application together and I need help picking the right schools for the best chance of acceptances. At the moment, I'm on the upper 1/3rd of the wait list at one of my states MD schools. I applied the first time two years ago to only a handful of schools and was put on the upper 1/3rd of the wait list at the same school I'm waitlisted at now. Unfortunately, I realized a little too late last summer that I may not be getting in after having some false hope and quickly re-took the MCAT and re-applied. Unfortunately, i did a point worse. I had also applied to a few DO schools but it was already very late in the season (sept) and I got no play. I retook my MCAT for a third time this past Jan and received a 30M (10,9,11). I realized I didn't want to make the same mistake as last year and started to get things ready to apply early as possible, and very broadly. I'm looking to apply to around 15 MD schools and 5-7 DO schools in total.

Here are my current stats:

- 3.6cGPA

-MCAT: 30M (10,9,11) (This was my third time taking it. Scored a 27P the first time and 26O the second)

- 5 and a half years experience working in an Orthopedic surgeon's office/ PT clinic as a Physical Therapist Tech. Also have work experience in the office as a Medical Assistant / Scribe.

- 40 Hours shadowing my former pediatrician as well as several other physicians.

- College athlete. Played for my College's Rugby team for 4 years and was also the Captain and Vice President of the club.

- Played my first season of Semi Professional Rugby and made it to the Sweet 16.

- Was hired by my college's athletic department to tutor athletes in various science courses.

- Volunteered as a part time Assistant Coach for my college's Rugby Team.

- ~200 Hours as a volunteer wrestling coach at my former high school.

- Active member of my colleges Pre-health Club and Alpha Epsilon Delta.

- 8 Hrs as a medical volunteer at a Triathlon.

- Several other volunteer experiences.

- Listed as an economically disadvantaged student and receive the Fee Assistance Waiver.

- VA resident.

MD Schools so far:

-EVMS, VCU, Virginia Tech, FAU, Loma Linda, FIU, Miami, UCF, USF, University of Arizona

DO Schools so far

-NSU, Western, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM

Thanks for all the help in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm currently getting my AMCAS and AACOMAS application together and I need help picking the right schools for the best chance of acceptances. At the moment, I'm on the upper 1/3rd of the wait list at one of my states MD schools. I applied the first time two years ago to only a handful of schools and was put on the upper 1/3rd of the wait list at the same school I'm waitlisted at now. Unfortunately, I realized a little too late last summer that I may not be getting in after having some false hope and quickly re-took the MCAT and re-applied. Unfortunately, i did a point worse. I had also applied to a few DO schools but it was already very late in the season (sept) and I got no play. I retook my MCAT for a third time this past Jan and received a 30M (10,9,11). I realized I didn't want to make the same mistake as last year and started to get things ready to apply early as possible, and very broadly. I'm looking to apply to around 15 MD schools and 5-7 DO schools in total.

Here are my current stats:

- 3.6cGPA

-MCAT: 30M (10,9,11) (This was my third time taking it. Scored a 27P the first time and 26O the second)

- 5 and a half years experience working in an Orthopedic surgeon's office/ PT clinic as a Physical Therapist Tech. Also have work experience in the office as a Medical Assistant / Scribe.

- 40 Hours shadowing my former pediatrician as well as several other physicians.

- College athlete. Played for my College's Rugby team for 4 years and was also the Captain and Vice President of the club.

- Played my first season of Semi Professional Rugby and made it to the Sweet 16.

- Was hired by my college's athletic department to tutor athletes in various science courses.

- Volunteered as a part time Assistant Coach for my college's Rugby Team.

- ~200 Hours as a volunteer wrestling coach at my former high school.

- Active member of my colleges Pre-health Club and Alpha Epsilon Delta.

- 8 Hrs as a medical volunteer at a Triathlon.

- Several other volunteer experiences.

- Listed as an economically disadvantaged student and receive the Fee Assistance Waiver.

- VA resident.

MD Schools so far:

-EVMS, VCU, Virginia Tech, FAU, Loma Linda, FIU, Miami, UCF, USF, University of Arizona

DO Schools so far

-NSU, Western, ATSU-SOMA, AZCOM

Thanks for all the help in advance everyone!

FIU's COA is $93,000/year for OOS and their secondary app asks for ties to South Florida (not sure how much this matters though) but good thing to keep in mind. As for FAU, "The Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine admits 64 students to each first year class, including approximately 10 students who may be admitted from states other than Florida." You might want to replace that with a more OOS friendly school like Drexel, NYMC, and Albany. For such list, look at other WAMC threads.

Applying to USF is a long shot, well actually, more like flushing money down the toilet, but with a fee waiver, I guess why not.

You should have a shot at EVMS and Virginia Tech so it's worth applying.

Even though you are very competitive for DO, I would suggest adding 1-2 "safety" DO schools since this is your third cycle.Apply early and you should be all set for DO acceptances.

Also, any reason for choosing CA, AZ and FL only schools?

Wow looks like I'll be taking off FIU and most likely USF. I have family in Fl and Az, which is one reason I'm applying to those states. I personally would love to stay somewhere warm because of some surgeries I've had but that's not all that important. I was thinking about adding VCOM as a safety but I need to get a DO letter done. Im trying to figure out some more MD schools that I would have a good shot at. It just seems like most other states aside from virginia accept very little out of state, making it hard to figure out where to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the feedback and help, but I actually just got a call from EVMS and i'll be attending there in august!!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help, but I actually just got a call from EVMS and i'll be attending there in august!!!

Congrats! Must be a relief.