2W on Transcripts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf_0987!

Reaction score
I would like to ask will W on transcripts affect my chances of getting in?
I am planning to W a biochem course because I am not doing well and I do not wish to drop my GPA for this. This is not a major requirement or upper division requirement. I already took 2 Biochem courses prior and received A+ on both of them (including a Biochem lab course). If I withdraw, I will have 2 W on my transcript.
I also have an F on Ochem but retook and received an A eventually. I am not sure what should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Overall GPA: 3.66

Sicence GPA: 3.84

Last 68: 3.87 - 3.92 depend on which course they choose

I would like to ask will W on transcripts affect my chances of getting in?
I am planning to W a biochem course because I am not doing well and I do not wish to drop my GPA for this. This is not a major requirement or upper division requirement. I already took 2 Biochem courses prior and received A+ on both of them (including a Biochem lab course). If I withdraw, I will have 2 W on my transcript.
I also have an F on Ochem but retook and received an A eventually. I am not sure what should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)
I had two W's on my transcript too and I got accepted into both vet schools I applied to on my first cycle! I retook both classes and ended up getting A's in both of them (it was precalc and o-chem), but my GPA stats were very similar to yours. I mentioned in my explanation statement about some circumstances I dealt with that lead to me doing poorly one semester and having to drop two classes with W's. I think you should be okay! And the fact that you retook ochem and got an A says a lot too; it shows that you have been improving and working hard! Many vet schools have a more holistic approach as well where they don't focus on GPA as much.

Reactions: 2 users
i had like 7 Ws. i withdrew from organic chem twice, bio 2, and a bunch of liberal arts courses when i was in undergrad. i can't speak to anything else because it's hard to predict what schools are looking for, and also, each school is different - eg cornell wasn't fond of my Ws, but ohio and tufts were totally fine with them. it'll probably be okay, depending on the rest of your app - experience and things - but good to reach out to individual admissions departments to get a feel for their perspectives on withdrawals etc.

Reactions: 1 user