2nd year med student with a question about medical toxicology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Basi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I apologize if this is not the correct spot to post this.

I have always been extremely fascinated in this field and participated in undergraduate research pertaining to it. I'll cut right to the chase though. I was looking at medical toxicology fellowships around the country and most places accept only 2 candidates per year. With this in mind, is this a competitive field to break into?

Any insights would be vastly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I apologize if this is not the correct spot to post this.

I have always been extremely fascinated in this field and participated in undergraduate research pertaining to it. I'll cut right to the chase though. I was looking at medical toxicology fellowships around the country and most places accept only 2 candidates per year. With this in mind, is this a competitive field to break into?

Any insights would be vastly appreciated.

There are some tox folks on here so hopefully one of them will chime in as a better person to answer you question, but......

It is my understanding that most fellowships in EM are not that competitive at all. It could be hit or miss some years at more attractice physical locations, but I am VERY confident that if you are completing an EM residency and WANT to do tox and can be flexible...you would have options at multiple places around the country...

EDIT: To reply to your question... I highly doubt you would not get a fellowship position in whatever it is you wanted as long as you have no black marks on your residency records (i.e. had to repeat a year, unprofessional conduct issues in your file, a PD that hates your guts, etc)....even if you are a run of a mill resident, or even one that barely squeaked through with a clean record... I think if you are flexible in WHERE you go, you can get about any fellowship in EM that you want.

Last edited:
I can add that I am a DO (I know this will unfortunately count slightly against me) that will most likely be in the upper 2nd quartile/lower 1st quartile by the time I'm finished. I am partaking in a dual degree program so I will be getting an MBS (thesis in cancer/immunology) as well.

"It is my understanding that most fellowships in EM are not that competitive at all. It could be hit or miss some years at more attractice physical locations, but I am VERY confident that if you are completing an EM residency and WANT to do tox and can be flexible...you would have options at multiple places around the country..."

So when you apply for fellowships and don't get in one year, you're allowed to apply again? Is there a rule on how many times you should apply and is there a system synonymous to that of medical school that says how you can improve your resume for future years?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but at the fellowship applying stage, I can't imagine there are numerous ways to drastically increase your resume depth year to year.

(PS thanks for the response)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Basi -

First & foremost, good to hear that you have the Tox Bug... I caught mine early on in med school (pharmacology is just so damned awesome)...

As for fellowships, to be frank, don't put the cart before the horse. Post-residency fellowships in medical toxicology don't care much about the MD/DO thing (in fact, my fellowship director was a DO, as was one of my junior fellows)... as such, be a rock star in med school & on the COMLEX/USMLE so you can get the residency you want. This will result in you being a happier & more productive resident, which, when you account for LoR's at the fellowship-applying level, will have your PD much more enthusiastic about recommending you for our field.

If you're very interested, then research in the field isn't a bad idea; especially when you have some time in medical school (less research time in residency), and can use it to "double dip" = residency interviews AND fellowship interviews.

Rebuilder's right, though, MT is a relatively small field with the number of slots/year for fellowship; and MT is sponsored not just by ABEM, but Peds & OccMed - though the majority of fellows come from EM. That being said, it attracts a relatively small pool of applicants (at least now), so getting a spot is definitely doable provided you're somewhat flexible. More programs are popping up every so often, which opens up new opportunities in geographically distinct areas of the country.

As for the application process, currently it's an "outside the match" process - you typically interview with the programs you're interested in, and if you're offered a position you take or leave it. There's talk, however, about trying to enter a match process within the next few years, so this may change.

After one accounts for marrying my wife, my fellowship in MedTox was the best decision I've ever made - I love my job, I have my niche, and I have a unified body of knowledge that many in the hospital respect & appreciate.

Cheers!
-t

Just want to add to Daiphon's post:

Getting a spot isn't hard for the right person. You have to be good and you have to actually want to be a toxicologist. Residents who have had significant academic struggles or are wishy-washy on wanting to be a toxicologist may not get a spot, despite open positions.

Most people have the tox bug can get a fellowship. Just make certain that you really want it, otherwise it can be a rough 2 years.

I will differ slightly with Daiphon on one thing, the MD/DO thing matters if you are doing an osteopathic residency. In that case, you can't take the ABEM boards and have to take the DO version (I am informed that such a thing exists). It also alters the funding. Will that affect getting a fellowship? Probably not, but it creates additional issues that could be an issue.

Good luck

Just as an aside - if one takes tox boards twice and flunks twice, they're done, right? You only get two chances? I wonder if you would have to re-do fellowship then.

I don't think it is that bad. I'm pretty sure I know of someone who has taken it 3 times (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure). The pass rate of those that take it the second time is dismal.

Just to follow up with Daiphon (we spoke months ago and I thought being an MT you would appreciate this), literally everything I've learned so far (half-way thru first year) I've noticed I've gravitated towards tox-like elements in every subject. MT in the making?

Sorry for the terrible post. Ha.

Just to follow up with Daiphon (we spoke months ago and I thought being an MT you would appreciate this), literally everything I've learned so far (half-way thru first year) I've noticed I've gravitated towards tox-like elements in every subject. MT in the making?

Sorry for the terrible post. Ha.
Not terribly surprised... Everything's tox! :)

I didn't think about the DO residency issue... The DO's I know in MT did allo residencies.

And yes, tox boards are the toughest test in medicine. Glad I have many more years before I have to face that beast again...

-t

Quick thing, I DEFINITELY plan on pursuing an allopathic residency despite being a DO. I'm getting my dual degree (MBS/DO) and currently trying to locate a clinical toxicologist/immunologist in the area that is conducting research of his/her own and can co-mentor my project.

These responses have been terrific, I greatly appreciate all your posts and input!