LECOM-E MMS Class of 2023-24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darthveddar

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I didn't see a thread for accepted students for LECOM's MMS Program 2023-24 at the Erie Campus. I'm debating between this program and 2 other MS programs with linkage/interviews. Anyone else considering this or definitely going? Would love to connect with other students and former students to get a better idea of the program!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so I’ve been accepted to this class and will definitely be attending. I would love to meet some people who are also going and hopefully get to know each other!

Hi guys! Do you have any advice for the personal statement portion of the application? I’m pretty stuck. Are we supposed to be straightforward about how the program will be helpful in the future or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Do you have any advice for the personal statement portion of the application? I’m pretty stuck. Are we supposed to be straightforward about how the program will be helpful in the future or what?
Not quite certain what you mean by the last portion of your question, but I mostly recycled my personal statement from my MD/DO apps
Current MMS student if yall have any questions!

same as Plum333...I also just used my personal statement from MD/DO apps. Current MMS too :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does this program look for an MCAT score? I'm probably taking mine over the summer so it likely won't be returned before the admissions deadline.

Should I mention this in the statement?
If I recall, I believe it is optional but beneficial if you did well. In its place they will likely use AIS.
If there is a place to leave comments, I'd consider mentioning it there, but I don't think I would shoe it into my personal statement since space is precious.

The calculator is on the website.

Ok nice, looks like I'm just over the border with AIS only.

Did you matriculate into the medical school after the SMP? What GPA did you get and what was their cutoff? How many got in out of how many total?

Appreciate any info, thank you.
if I remember the stats correctly from 2021-2022, somewhere around 70/150 went to LECOM. However it was virtual then, this is the first year in a while where it has been in person. A lot dropped out after the first semester apparently.
This year I think we started with around 80-90 students, a few have dropped out since, maybe 10? It can be hard to keep track.

Information about interviews were sent out beginning of second semester, interviews were due by jan 27th i believe.
First round of acceptances (4.0 students) heard back a week later, around February 2nd, i believe at the same time. Three of my friends received acceptances the same day.
I heard back February 7th, with a 3.7 and a high 3rd quarter GPA and importantly, a high anatomy score (which many previous matriculants said plays a significant role). Anatomy is the big 5 credit course in 3rd quarter.
A 3.7 friend heard back a week or so later with an acceptance as well. They are the only other 3.7 student i know of that received an early acceptance. I also know of a few 3.7 students that did not hear back yet. I believe the difference may have been the anatomy score.
The rumor is that roughly 10 students received early acceptances.

I heard the second batch of acceptances have been sent out around now, which has been 3 or so weeks after the midterms. This is in line with what previous matriculants (Current MS1s, MS2s) have told me.

Their "cut off" is 3.3, but i have heard rumors they may raise this to 3.5 in the future.
My take away for this year so far has been: 3.8+ = likely early acceptance, 3.5-3.7 likely mid acceptance, 3.3+ likely late acceptance, <3.3 chances become very slim but I have heard of a 3.29 getting in the day of MS1 classes starting in the past.

A very important note is that if you fail ANY course, meaning <69.5%, you will lose any chance at a guaranteed interview. Even if it is a 1 credit course.
One of my friends that have a competitive GPA despite a failed course did not get an interview invite. I was surprised by how strict they were about this rule, but it is in place whether you like it or not.

Everyone in this course has been quite nice, faculty and students alike. Nobody has felt like gunners, and we've all been trying to help each other out. The program content and its cut offs feel cutthroat however.
Hope this helps

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with basically everything Plum333 said. The stats are basically what plum said…we started around maybe 100 students and a few dropped in that first week. Coming back into the spring semester we were probably around 75 of us. I had a 3.7 GPA and got accepted around the same time as Plum but I do have friends in the program that have the same GPA as me and haven’t heard back yet. I’m not sure if anyone else has been accepted since then.
Ok nice, looks like I'm just over the border with AIS only.

Did you matriculate into the medical school after the SMP? What GPA did you get and what was their cutoff? How many got in out of how many total?

Appreciate any info, thank you.

Reactions: 1 users
I also know from previous classes they told us that you should work hard to get a high GPA in the first semester. As much as I think this is true, I feel like it is equally important to do the best you can in the beginning of the second semester as well.

This is because of how they are rumored to be looking at applicants after the first round of acceptances. Rumor is that they won't be looking at your cumulative GPA between the two semesters, but will be looking at your two semester GPA's individually. So what I mean is that if you had a 3.7 GPA in the first semester and haven't gotten an early acceptance, they will then calculate your current GPA in this second semester based on the grades that are currently inputted.

So if you had a 3.7 in the first semester, but by March, your second semester GPA is a 3.1 because you didn't do too hot on the first set of classes they may wait on sending you an acceptance.

It is too soon to know what that exact cutoff is so far and I haven't heard from anyone whether or not they got accepted in this second round that went out. However, it is in your best interest to try and get the highest grades you can as well by spring midterms. Also keep in mind, they are still pulling from the normal applicants as well, but they claim to have a preference for the students in the MMS since they have a better idea of how we would do in their DO program.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if the reason for some 3.7+ GPA students getting acceptances vs. others not is their GPA in that first part of the second semester. This is a good additional point though too, thanks.

I'm maybe a bit too paranoid but are there any cases of 4.0 students who don't fail any classes still not getting accepted? (Assuming they aren't also "weird" at the interview, haha).

Also, did you have an MCAT score when applying to the MMS? Any students in the program without an MCAT score at time of application?

Thanks.
I haven't heard of anyone with a 4.0 not getting accepted. I'm pretty sure all of the 4.0 students have been accepted into the DO program, but I'm not 100%.

I did have an MCAT score going into MMS but a lot of students didn't. If you decide to apply to the DO program with an MCAT score, the latest you can take the MCAT is January during the MMS program (like for us it was this January 2023). This is because interviews for the DO program happen in January for the MMS students. I do know some people applied to the DO program with just an AIS score, but I am unsure if they got accepted.

Thanks for this, lots of excellent information here. Also, congratulations on your acceptance that's major.

Seems reasonable for them to expect you to ace the MMS classes since this is basically just "med-school lite". I've heard that the MMS is actually a bit harder than their DO program, wonder if you've heard anything like this maybe from current DO students?

Also any comments on anything particularly tricky about the program layout/cut-offs besides just the usual "actively study and do it a lot"?

Thanks.
Glad I could help, and thank you!

From both MS1's and MS2's that were in the MMS program, they have said that MS1 felt like a slightly faster paced MMS and is therefore a bit more challenging, but other folks have said that MMS has more depth of knowledge for its pace and is thus harder.
I figure MS1 will be harder in a vacuum, but with the background of MMS, I imagine it will be less burdening.

and yes I do have comments. These are all things that worked for me, and what I learned a long the way, this is by no means a recipe for success. Plenty of students have done things differently and done better, the same, and worse than me.

Be adaptable.
It will most likely be nothing like undergrad. I completely threw out everything I used in undergrad, and went 100% Anki. Instead of taking notes, I would make anki flashcards during class. I spent my mornings before class in the library, and for harder subjects, I spent the evenings there too. I counted my hours at my peak of studying, and spent ~40+ hours in the library a week, not including the 3-4 hour daily lectures.
Probably sounds like "actively study and do it a lot" but what's more important imo isn't the hours spent, but making the material as interesting/digestable as possible to MAKE massive amounts of study hours possible. Anki gave me a sense of progression, taking one card at a time, and was basically perpetual self quizzing. I found this much more enjoyable than my former pen/paper study method, which didn't help me in undergrad anyway (3.3 UG GPA).
You may enjoy pen/paper study, and that is what makes a lot of study hours possible, then do that. Studying with friends in silence initially helps me get through the library hours as well, and once we're closer to exams, another friend and I use my anki and their study material and quiz each other for a few days. That helps add on (relatively) painless hours.
Whatever your method is, make the study hours massive, effective, but most importantly as painless as possible, it'll help reduce the odds of burnout in the end.

Another point, they'll say this in the beginning, but have hobbies. This will reallly help reduce the odds of burnout. My hobbies were exercise/boxing, anime, and friends. I would go to the gym first thing in the morning close to 4 days a week on total average, for about 1-1.5 hours. It might be hindsight bias but I felt like a week before exam that I didn't go gym to try to study more felt more exhausting than a week before exam where I still went regularly.

Something I think doesn't get mentioned enough: Professors can be very similar, and VERY different. It'll be hard figuring out their patterns and what questions they will make at first, but keep if you keep it in the back of your mind, i think you'll figure it out soon enough. Definitely overstudy for the first exam with a new professor. Don't let them catch you off guard, overstudy, then figure out how they make test questions.

I think the common thread across all these concepts are being adaptable. Adjusting to a new, stressful life, adjusting to new habits, adjusting to new people, adjusting to new content, new study methods, failing a study method, trying something new again, etc.

Oh and be nice :)
Hope this helps,

Reactions: 2 users
Current MMS Student here as well and can try to answer questions about the program!

Hello everyone. I am really considering the LECOM MMS, the main issue for me is my MCAT score, my highest is a 493. My cGPA is 3.88 and my sGPA is a 3.67. I applied through AACOMAS last year, but didn't get any interviews. Would MMS be a good option for me? Were or are there students who have similar stats as mine? If so, did they do well? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current MMS Student here as well and can try to answer questions about the program!
I am really considering applying to MMS, but I am concerned about the MCAT. Will my MCAT score be enough for me to be accepted into the DO program or will I have to take the MCAT again. I know that my AIS is good enough but because I have taken the MCAT they will consider that right?

I am really considering applying to MMS, but I am concerned about the MCAT. Will my MCAT score be enough for me to be accepted into the DO program or will I have to take the MCAT again. I know that my AIS is good enough but because I have taken the MCAT they will consider that right?
Hey @ScottieBippin! Actually, when applying for the MMS program I used my AIS, because I have not taken my MCAT. When it comes time for interviews for the DO program (which is sometime in January, the second semester), you can tell admissions to consider you AIS score and not your MCAT for the DO program. If your AIS is enough for consideration ( The AIS calculator will tell you if you are eligible), then being over the threshold of that is enough. You do however, need to however be at or above a 3.3 by the end of the MMS program for admittance. (Also having a successful interview)

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am really considering the LECOM MMS, the main issue for me is my MCAT score, my highest is a 493. My cGPA is 3.88 and my sGPA is a 3.67. I applied through AACOMAS last year, but didn't get any interviews. Would MMS be a good option for me? Were or are there students who have similar stats as mine? If so, did they do well? Any suggestions are appreciated.
If you are wanting to understand and preview the coursework before medical school, become a better student and learn how to study effectively, then I think this is not a bad option. I would consider retaking the MCAT again before the program only if your AIS score is not eligible since you may need to be at a 497+ for admittance for LECOM or wanting to apply to other schools during the Masters. This program is not easy, and by no means are you guaranteed admittance to the DO program if you complete the program, so you really need to put your best foot forward. My stats are similar to yours, I did not do as great as I wanted. It's definitely a great program, and if you are wanting specific details, i can also give you some insight on that!

Last edited:
If you are wanting to understand and preview the coursework before medical school, become a better student and learn how to study effectively, then I think this is not a bad option. I would consider retaking the MCAT again before the program only if your AIS score is not eligible since you may need to be at a 495+ for admittance for LECOM or wanting to apply to other schools during the Masters. This program is not easy, and by no means are you guaranteed admittance to the DO program if you complete the program, so you really need to put your best foot forward. My stats are similar to yours, I did not do as great as I wanted. It's definitely a great program, and if you are wanting specific details, i can also give you some insight on that!
Hey Amir, thanks for replying. My AIS score is 128 and that does make me eligible for LECOM, as per what the website says. If you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted into the program? Also, of the students that met the requirements how many got into LECOM and what were their average GPAs?

Hey Amir, thanks for replying. My AIS score is 128 and that does make me eligible for LECOM, as per what the website says. If you don't mind me asking, did you get accepted into the program? Also, of the students that met the requirements how many got into LECOM and what were their average GPAs?
I am unsure of the amount of students that met the requirements and got into LECOM and what their average GPAs were. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

I am unsure of the amount of students that met the requirements and got into LECOM and what their average GPAs were. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Gotchu. Were you accepted into the program? Also, I spoke to the LECOM MMS admissions and advisors today and I meet their requirements, so this definitely seems like a good choice for me.

Gotchu. Were you accepted into the program? Also, I spoke to the LECOM MMS admissions and advisors today and I meet their requirements, so this definitely seems like a good choice for me.
Hiya, as Amir said, your AIS is viable. I also think you would make a good candidate for this program, but be mindful of what you're getting yourself into. Students that had straight A's in undergrad struggled to even pass at times. You may have to study as much as 80 hours a week (although including the 4 hour lectures each day, so -20 hrs) to be a viable candidate, where you may have been used to a total of 40 hours a week of lectures and studying in undergrad.

As of early May, so far I've heard only 26 students were accepted out of the original 90-100 or so. Please keep in mind, the other 74 students were by no means incapable, I think the program itself is cutthroat by nature. There are a lot of variables out of your control, and it is a matter of who can adapt in meaningful ways, as I imagine will be required of physicians in the field.

Hiya, as Amir said, your AIS is viable. I also think you would make a good candidate for this program, but be mindful of what you're getting yourself into. Students that had straight A's in undergrad struggled to even pass at times. You may have to study as much as 80 hours a week (although including the 4 hour lectures each day, so -20 hrs) to be a viable candidate, where you may have been used to a total of 40 hours a week of lectures and studying in undergrad.

As of early May, so far I've heard only 26 students were accepted out of the original 90-100 or so. Please keep in mind, the other 74 students were by no means incapable, I think the program itself is cutthroat by nature. There are a lot of variables out of your control, and it is a matter of who can adapt in meaningful ways, as I imagine will be required of physicians in the field.
Hey, Plum. Thanks for the response. I am a little surprised about what you said about the acceptance rate. I spoke to one of the directors at the program last week and he said that last years program had about 110 students and of those 70 got accepted. Also, after reading many reviews I am aware that these types are programs are sort of like "5 years" of medical school because the MMS is bascially just as hard as the first year of medical school. Are there any other things I should be aware of because I am about 90% sure I will be going here this coming fall. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Also, I don't know if you can disclose this sort of information, but how are the exams. Are they all multiple choice questions, or is there writing involved. Also, are the exams similar to the MCAT where it is passage based and then you answer a specific question or are they free standing questions from topics covered in class where things need to be applied, similar to upper level science courses in undergrad? Any information is appreciated. Do you mind if I get your email or contact so I can ask you questions I need anything clarified about the program. Seems like you have a very firm grasp after completing the MMS. I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
hello i am currently applying to this program and i wanted to know if you guys made your recommendation letter writers follow the format of the recommendation letter pdf from the application or they submitted their own letter? I'm asking because i applied to other programs so i don't know if they can just recycle their old letters. thanks!

hello i am currently applying to this program and i wanted to know if you guys made your recommendation letter writers follow the format of the recommendation letter pdf from the application or they submitted their own letter? I'm asking because i applied to other programs so i don't know if they can just recycle their old letters. thanks!
I believe I did a mix of both, I had writers from a few months before. I didn't want to waste their time so used their letters as is (without access to what they said), and asked another writer to follow the format.

Hey, Plum. Thanks for the response. I am a little surprised about what you said about the acceptance rate. I spoke to one of the directors at the program last week and he said that last years program had about 110 students and of those 70 got accepted. Also, after reading many reviews I am aware that these types are programs are sort of like "5 years" of medical school because the MMS is bascially just as hard as the first year of medical school. Are there any other things I should be aware of because I am about 90% sure I will be going here this coming fall. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Also, I don't know if you can disclose this sort of information, but how are the exams. Are they all multiple choice questions, or is there writing involved. Also, are the exams similar to the MCAT where it is passage based and then you answer a specific question or are they free standing questions from topics covered in class where things need to be applied, similar to upper level science courses in undergrad? Any information is appreciated. Do you mind if I get your email or contact so I can ask you questions I need anything clarified about the program. Seems like you have a very firm grasp after completing the MMS. I would really appreciate it.
The statistic for last year's is correct, though I believe that class started with 140 or so? And 30 dropped out a long the way, though grain of salt, I don't have my notes from that meeting on hand right now to check. 70/110 is definitely what they ended with. As far as our 26/100 or so is only the current acceptances at that time, we have plenty of students that are now on waitlist that will be approached as the gen pop applications get sorted through. I'm hearing back about waitlist students getting accepted, but it's hard to say for sure how many; i know of 5-10 so far.

It is kind of like 5 years of medical school, but my roommate who is an MS2 felt that his MS1 year was substantially easier since it felt like a repeat of MMS. So 4.5 years sound fair?

The exams are all multiple choice, on your laptop, monitored via the program (examplify) and by proctors that occasionally roam. If you're not used to it, it could feel weird at first but I really don't think it's a big deal. smaller exams can be 60 questions or so, I wanna say 90 seconds per question. Bigger exams like finals can be 150 questions or so.

The exams are not mcat passages per se, but they can have a paragraph worth of info, or only a sentence. They are typically 2nd to 3rd order questions, with occasional first. Sometimes there will be multiple questions on one passage, but it is usually only 1-3 questions, unless it's matching, then it can be 3-5. Some profs will give equal amounts of matching to question, but others may give 10 options for 5 matching questions.