2023-2024 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOR Secondary application received!! Completed the pre-secondary on 8/4 one day after receiving it.
View attachment 375655
congratulations!! are you willing to share you stats?

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations!! are you willing to share you stats?
Thanks! 516 MCAT/3.9 UG and 4.0 grad, super non-trad career changer. I definitely think it was my ties and experience with underserved communities there that got their attention though.

For other OOR applicants completing a secondary: I emailed to ask whether our mission statements will be included with our applications when they are reviewed by the admissions team, or whether they were simply used for screening purposes. I feel like the answer is that they will probably be included but had to double check since I used some of my best lines in there and would hate for them to be missed or repeated haha. I'll update when I hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are my chances as an OOS applicant with residency in MA? I see on MSAR they take like half of the class OOS but are these students mainly from Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho? trying to decide if I should add this school to my list last minute and any insight would be great, thanks! GPA + MCAT > median
Depends. 4 of my classmates were from different states. If you fit the school’s mission or bring some kind of unique experiences by all means. Otherwise it’s not worth your time

- a bored MS4

Reactions: 2 users
Depends. 4 of my classmates were from different states. If you fit the school’s mission or bring some kind of unique experiences by all means. Otherwise it’s not worth your time

- a bored MS4
Would you, or anyone else, happen to know how OOR region applicants are sorted into regional campuses? are most in Seattle?

Would you, or anyone else, happen to know how OOR region applicants are sorted into regional campuses? are most in Seattle?
As an OOR applicant, you're only applying for the Seattle campus.

For other OOR applicants completing a secondary: I emailed to ask whether our mission statements will be included with our applications when they are reviewed by the admissions team, or whether they were simply used for screening purposes. I feel like the answer is that they will probably be included but had to double check since I used some of my best lines in there and would hate for them to be missed or repeated haha. I'll update when I hear back.
Your mission statement will be included in your complete file, at least that's what they said last year. Congrats on the secondary!

They have an "essentials" video for the current cycle that's super helpful here:

As an OOR applicant, you're only applying for the Seattle campus.

Your mission statement will be included in your complete file, at least that's what they said last year. Congrats on the secondary!

They have an "essentials" video for the current cycle that's super helpful here:

Ah, I checked through last year's thread but must have missed that info. Whoops.

This video is so helpful, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! 516 MCAT/3.9 UG and 4.0 grad, super non-trad career changer. I definitely think it was my ties and experience with underserved communities there that got their attention though.
I just got OOS form like everyone else today. My sister goes to UW for undergrad and I have friends there. Does it count as enough o
If you’re fortunate enough to get into UW as an OOR, you technically should be assigned to the Seattle campus. That said, they did make an exception for one of my friends who ended up in Spokane but I think that’s more of an exception than an expectation.

I’m happy to answer questions if anyone has them. I also have provided interview/application help in previous years and I’m pretty good at it 13/13 for medical school and 5/5 for UW. That said, I did regret helping some people so thus I want to vet people a little more before I commit myself to getting them in. Probably should have reached out before the applications were submitted but… I’ve been busy 😅

Anyways good luck and take care!

For MSTP applicants, how long after submitting the UW primary did you get the UW secondary? And do most applicants get the second secondary or is it a good indicator of potentially getting an interview?

Are IS people still waiting on their residency verification to through? I submitted my secondary last week, but I'm not complete yet because it says they're still waiting for my residency verification.

Are IS people still waiting on their residency verification to through? I submitted my secondary last week, but I'm not complete yet because it says they're still waiting for my residency verification.
I haven’t had my residency verification approved yet.

Does anyone know if accepted OOR applicants are able to apply for residency after their first year? The cost difference for IS vs OOR is pretty significant.

*Wishful thinking on my part that I even get an II haha

Members don't see this ad :)
For MSTP applicants, how long after submitting the UW primary did you get the UW secondary? And do most applicants get the second secondary or is it a good indicator of potentially getting an interview?
I received the secondary 2 days after submitting the primary, but I don’t know the proportion of apps that get screened out between primary/secondary and secondary/interview.

Does anyone know if accepted OOR applicants are able to apply for residency after their first year? The cost difference for IS vs OOR is pretty significant.

*Wishful thinking on my part that I even get an II haha
Unfortunately, the UW considers you a resident if you have lived in the region for over a year UNLESS the reason you are living in region is schooling. So, no

Unfortunately, the UW considers you a resident if you have lived in the region for over a year UNLESS the reason you are living in region is schooling. So, no
Dang, that's tough. I wonder if it makes any difference if you've previously lived in-state for several years (not school related)? Probably not :confused:

Did you get a reply if they would review the mission statement?

I submitted my residency verification paperwork about a week ago and received an email that it was approved on 08/18! My portal is now marked as complete and ready for review

Did you get a reply if they would review the mission statement?
Not yet, but I think it is a safe bet. My mission statement still appears on my portal with the secondary, and the other poster in this thread said that someone confirmed last year that they would be included. I'll update if/when I hear back from admissions with a 100% for sure answer.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. We definitely have the deck stacked against us! When did you submit your secondary?
Technically I don't think it was the actual secondary, it was the "Washington ties" questions that determine eligibility to receive a secondary. I wrote that I had family in Washington, spent every summer there growing up, and that my husband had military orders to be stationed there so I would be a resident of WA before matriculation in 2024. They said it didn't meet their requirements lol. I submitted it 8/6 though, if that helps at all!

• Wow
Born and raised in Washington and graduated from a Washington high school. Only left the state for college due to an athletic scholarship and have been OOS with my partner as they finished their graduate school program. Entire family lives there, had every hope of moving back home and got a pre-secondary R today because I "didn't meet their OOR mission requirements".
I had the assumption that you just needed to show strong ties in order to get their secondary, didn't realize they put so much emphasis on current legal residence.

This one hurt like hell

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Born and raised in Washington and graduated from a Washington high school. Only left the state for college due to an athletic scholarship and have been OOS with my partner as they finished their graduate school program. Entire family lives there, had every hope of moving back home and got a pre-secondary R today because I "didn't meet their OOR mission requirements".
I had the assumption that you just needed to show strong ties in order to get their secondary, didn't realize they put so much emphasis on current legal residence.

This one hurt like hell
I'm so sorry From what I've seen, they not only require super strong ties but a very solid history of working with the underserved, and coming from a more disadvantaged background. They are SUPER selective for OOR, don't be hard on yourself! Have you applied to Elson S. Floyd as well? You will have perfect ties for them!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so sorry From what I've seen, they not only require super strong ties but a very solid history of working with the underserved, and coming from a more disadvantaged background. They are SUPER selective for OOR, don't be hard on yourself! Have you applied to Elson S. Floyd as well? You will have perfect ties for them!
Thank you for the encouragement, and yes I applied there too! I read on their website that they would consider you if your application showed that you graduated from a Washington high school and I received a secondary, so maybe there's hope!

Spokane vs Seattle campus, feel like Seattle is way more competitive. My stats aren't the greatest, thinking of applying to Spokane. Anyone else in the same boat?

Is there a good prep course/material for interview? 1st time applying

Does anyone know about when the UW starts sending out IIs? Also, do they send out OOR IIs at the same time as WWAMI IIs?

Does anyone know about when the UW starts sending out IIs? Also, do they send out OOR IIs at the same time as WWAMI IIs?
Looking back at old threads, seems like mid September at the earliest for first IIs. But some years it's even later than that

yes, their site says fist date for IS interview is 10/2, so guessing 2 wks before that IIs

Got an email asking for my demographic information today! I thought it was optional at first. My application wasn't marked complete but I thought it was just because they hadn't reviewed it yet. I appreciate them reaching out to remind me. They responded quick after I thanked them and said tons of applicants thought the demographic info tab was optional. But be sure to fill it out if you haven't already!

Congratulations!!! Would you mind sharing when you were complete and your stats?

This is my #1 school and I'm also OOR
I also received OOR 2° yesterday.

MCAT 513; 3.6/3.7 sGPA, LM 68, non-trad.

1° complete 7/12, processed 8/14, mission statement complete 8/15.

So sorry, just realized it was for a secondary not II lol. Congrats all the same to both of you!

Spokane vs Seattle campus, feel like Seattle is way more competitive. My stats aren't the greatest, thinking of applying to Spokane. Anyone else in the same boat?
I know someone who got into Seattle and was waitlisted for Spokane 3 years ago.

OOR JUST GOT AN II

I am crying right now. I can't believe this real. I know it's not an A yet, but this is my dream school. I am in utter disbelief and beyond grateful

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
OOR JUST GOT AN II

I am crying right now. I can't believe this real. I know it's not an A yet, but this is my dream school. I am in utter disbelief and beyond grateful
That’s so amazing!!! Congratulations!!!

OOR II ! absolutely shocked rn lmao
OOR JUST GOT AN II

Congrats y’all!!!!! Glad there is hope for us OOR applicants! Can I ask when you submitted your secondaries?

Congrats y’all!!!!! Glad there is hope for us OOR applicants! Can I ask when you submitted your secondaries?
Mission statement was received (and completed) on 8/3.

I got my secondary on 8/7, and returned it on 8/8. I was marked complete on 8/8 as well.

My portal updated to Review is Complete today! Not sure if that was before or after the II was sent.

Reactions: 1 users