2023-2024 Uniformed Services (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received today OOS! It is for January. Anyone know if that is too late for an interview does that mean likely WL? LM 71
January and December are major interview months at our school. That having been said, no matter what month you get an interview a waitlist is likely. Doesn't mean that they don't see you as a great candidate, it's just how admissions works here.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about tools (that USUHS does not provide) we will need in first year of medical school? My family would like to get me something (e.g. stethoscope) for Christmas, but I was not sure what I need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about tools (that USUHS does not provide) we will need in first year of medical school? My family would like to get me something (e.g. stethoscope) for Christmas, but I was not sure what I need.
I am an ms1. Almost everything you need, from equipment to books, is given to you during orientation. This includes a brand new stethoscope, suturing equipment (as well as fake skin to practice on), a fundoscope, otoscope, tuning fork, etc. You can even borrow scrubs for anatomy but you can actually bring your own custom scrubs (a gift maybe?) instead for comfort and fashion. One of the few ways to express yourself through clothes in the service!

Reactions: 2 users
Attended the post-interview visit 11/16. Interviewed the week of 10/9. Myself and a few other applicants received an email informing us that we were put on the waitlist the same morning as our visit. LM 76. Based on last year's thread, waitlist doesn't seem to make any movement until mid-April. It was quite demoralizing to receive a waitlist email the day of the visit when I had just spent $1000 to fly across the country to visit. Still crossing my fingers for this school though!
I also got off the waitlist last year. No need to fear however. This is very typical of the school and waiting is a part of the military that you can't shake off!

For those who interviewed do you know if USUHS accepts any paperwork from HPSP? I have already received medical clearance and did all my physical paperwork for HPSP (not through MEPS, was through a pre commissioned officer exam). Or is it completely separate and I have to redo it?

For those who interviewed do you know if USUHS accepts any paperwork from HPSP? I have already received medical clearance and did all my physical paperwork for HPSP (not through MEPS, was through a pre commissioned officer exam). Or is it completely separate and I have to redo it?
completely separate. However, i do believe dodmerb is a much simpler and less hectic since it is done at an urgent care

got the unconditional A on 12/1 (~5 weeks after conditional A and a week after medical clearance) !! ☺️

also is there anything we need to do in the meantime, like forms and stuff? it didn’t seem like there’s anything to do until february (amcas), but just wanted to doublecheck hehe 😅

Last edited:
Completed 10/30 no updates/II, I don't know how to feel :(

completely separate and need to redo it!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
can anyone share how long the medical waiver process usually takes for Army? conditional A last week :)

Got the "Holding your application for continued review" email on 11/29, secondary completed on 10/30. Soft Rejection, or is there a shot for an II down the line?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed already, were your interviewers faculty for the first one and a 4th yr med student for the second?

So it’s been almost 2 weeks since I confirmed my interview week and I haven’t received any link from DodMerb yet to set up my physical. Does anyone know what I should do in this case or if there’s a specific email/number to contact?

For those who interviewed already, were your interviewers faculty for the first one and a 4th yr med student for the second?
yes! first one was an alum (and former faculty) and the second was 4th yr med student from my top choice branch

Got waitlisted on Thursday :/ does anyone know what the chances are based on past movement? My first preference was Air Force and wondered if that played a role in selection

Got waitlisted on Thursday :/ does anyone know what the chances are based on past movement? My first preference was Air Force and wondered if that played a role in selection
I don't know how helpful/accurate this is, but according to USUHS MSAR:

"Typical number of waitlist positions per cycle
175-200
Number of acceptance offers granted to applicants on the waitlist
100"

When did you interview?

"USU uses rolling admissions. Offers can be tendered to those wait list applicants if a position becomes available." (MSAR)
Usually 50% of the waitlist are accepted. (MSAR)

Got the "Holding your application for continued review" email on 11/29, secondary completed on 10/30. Soft Rejection, or is there a shot for an II down the line?
+1 for the hold email on 11/29. Cross referencing the past few cycles it looked like at least a handful of applicants got an interview and eventual acceptances after being put on hold. However, they sent out hold emails much earlier last year, so no clue if that is still the same for this cycle unfortunately.

Anybody going or have been to the post-interview visit? Mine’s on Jan. 25th. I’m from FL and not familiar with the area. Trying to figure out where to stay and transportation. I’m going by myself.🫠

Anybody going or have been to the post-interview visit? Mine’s on Jan. 25th. I’m from FL and not familiar with the area. Trying to figure out where to stay and transportation. I’m going by myself.🫠
I’m on the fence about going

I am going! Maybe check out sdn interview info from previous years, especially pre-COVID years. Not sure how helpful it is, but I believe there is a section on transportation and hotel info

Did anyone get an A and not get an invite to the post-interview visit? I was recently WL'ed and never got an invitation, so I'm curious if it has any correlation with the A

Did anyone get an A and not get an invite to the post-interview visit? I was recently WL'ed and never got an invitation, so I'm curious if it has any correlation with the A
Not exactly the same, but I got invited for the visit day back in October before I had heard any decision so you don't have to have an A yet

I recommend you fly into Baltimore, its a lot cheaper (on Spirit). then you can take the train to DC, the ticket is $10 and it takes you straight from the Baltimore airport to the main metro station in washington DC. then you can get on the red line metro which will take you to Bethesda.

Not exactly the same, but I got invited for the visit day back in October before I had heard any decision so you don't have to have an A yet
Maybe I'm reading into it, but I got an invite for a visit and am still waiting to hear. Do they invite everyone who interviewed or is this a good sign that I've likely either been WL or A? Have people gotten invited and then rejected later?

Maybe I'm reading into it, but I got an invite for a visit and am still waiting to hear. Do they invite everyone who interviewed or is this a good sign that I've likely either been WL or A? Have people gotten invited and then rejected later?
I did end up getting an A 2 weeks later

Anyone know when rejection letters start being sent out? It’s been 4 months since completion without any word. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Just wondering when I can let go of that teeny, tiny sliver of hope

Anyone know when rejection letters start being sent out? It’s been 4 months since completion without any word. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Just wondering when I can let go of that teeny, tiny sliver of hope
I’m not sure but I wouldn’t give up hope yet! According to the interview calendar they interview well until the end of January and in past threads I see they also do some February interviews as well.

• Care
Just made an account finally after surfing this school’s threads for years.

I got the nice little “we hope to be able to interview you” email. Still chillin and hoping for USU but got the A elsewhere already. Following this thread closely so I know when to move on.

If anyone knows when exactly BOLC/COT (or the proper acronym for medical officer training) starts for this class, it would just be nice to know. It seems to fluctuate and sometimes no one knows until summer. Please share if you know anything.

II received today. App was complete 09/04. Twas some of the longer weeks of my life particularly these last four.

Just made an account finally after surfing this school’s threads for years.

I got the nice little “we hope to be able to interview you” email. Still chillin and hoping for USU but got the A elsewhere already. Following this thread closely so I know when to move on.

If anyone knows when exactly BOLC/COT (or the proper acronym for medical officer training) starts for this class, it would just be nice to know. It seems to fluctuate and sometimes no one knows until summer. Please share if you know anything.
I don't have all the details, but it depends on your branch and the availability in each session they do throughout the summer.

Has anybody looked into the summer experiences available at USUHS? Are all the experiences branch-specific and locked in or can you explore other stuff because Airborne school seems like something I might want to try.

Has anybody looked into the summer experiences available at USUHS? Are all the experiences branch-specific and locked in or can you explore other stuff because Airborne school seems like something I might want to try.
I don't think PHS is going to get a chance to put their knees in the breeze. Most formal school opportunities, like Airborne, will be service-specific (has to do with the nuances of who can attend what official schools). Also, keep in mind that the military has a way of taking the fun out of hobbies...

For those who interviewed so far, how was it and what are the types of questions they ask if anyone is comfortable sharing?

Are we supposed to get an email confirmation after sending in the Google form thing for an interview invite? / what do we do after?

I don't think PHS is going to get a chance to put their knees in the breeze. Most formal school opportunities, like Airborne, will be service-specific (has to do with the nuances of who can attend what official schools). Also, keep in mind that the military has a way of taking the fun out of hobbies...
I got the unconditional for the army so I'm just wondering how flexible they are with your summer activities

I am an ms1. Almost everything you need, from equipment to books, is given to you during orientation. This includes a brand new stethoscope, suturing equipment (as well as fake skin to practice on), a fundoscope, otoscope, tuning fork, etc. You can even borrow scrubs for anatomy but you can actually bring your own custom scrubs (a gift maybe?) instead for comfort and fashion. One of the few ways to express yourself through clothes in the service!
Might you be willing and able to give us your book or content resource list? I would love to take a peek in my downtime at work!

For those who interviewed so far, how was it and what are the types of questions they ask if anyone is comfortable sharing?
Very relaxed and casual, one on one, one of my interviewers was making their morning coffee lol but there's different interviewers so can't speak on everyone's experience. They asked the usual questions for me, why medicine and why physician and why military medicine specifically, some questions about leadership experience.

Are we supposed to get an email confirmation after sending in the Google form thing for an interview invite? / what do we do after?
I don't think I got an immediate email after sending it in, but I did receive an interview confirmation email ~5 days later with more details about the interview process. Would prioritize filling out the security forms and scheduling medical appointments in the meantime. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Had a really great experience - both interviewers were laidback and very helpful. The actual interview portion was only 15 min long, and the rest of the time was open for whatever questions I had - good opportunity to ask about their experiences, the military lifestyle, and USU summer experiences. The faculty interviewer asked me the following: tell me your story, why med, why military, which branch and why, what concerns do you have about the military lifestyle. The MS4 asked me about my PS, why USU vs. HPSP, why Navy, what my biggest accomplishment was, then a fun random question. No questions about leadership, for some reason...

I don't think I got an immediate email after sending it in, but I did receive an interview confirmation email ~5 days later with more details about the interview process. Would prioritize filling out the security forms and scheduling medical appointments in the meantime. Good luck!
Can we schedule medical and security if we don’t get an email from DoD yet?