2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! Happy I found this thread. Hoping for some advice as I'm feeling kind of anxious right now about this cycle.
Had 4 IIs, 3 WL, 1 post-II R this cycle. Withdrew from 1 of the waitlists so I'm sitting on 2 right now.

If I submitted a significant update letter (new pub, abstract accepted for oral presentation) a few days ago after being waitlisted in March and Feb (with no communication with the school since time of waitlist), will schools think that's bad? For one of the schools, I had already submitted a letter of intent post-II but before the decision and in my update letter to them, I reiterated my intent to enroll. The only communication / new thing submitted to schools in the meantime was a letter of recommendation my boss from my gap year job sent on my behalf in March that I think is a very strong letter.

I'm feeling like I screwed myself by not submitting an update letter or letter of continued interest in March.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm feeling like I screwed myself by not submitting an update letter or letter of continued interest in March.
You did not. I'll bet there has been no WL movement at these schools, so an "update" would have had no effect.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Happy I found this thread. Hoping for some advice as I'm feeling kind of anxious right now about this cycle.
Had 4 IIs, 3 WL, 1 post-II R this cycle. Withdrew from 1 of the waitlists so I'm sitting on 2 right now.

If I submitted a significant update letter (new pub, abstract accepted for oral presentation) a few days ago after being waitlisted in March and Feb (with no communication with the school since time of waitlist), will schools think that's bad? For one of the schools, I had already submitted a letter of intent post-II but before the decision and in my update letter to them, I reiterated my intent to enroll. The only communication / new thing submitted to schools in the meantime was a letter of recommendation my boss from my gap year job sent on my behalf in March that I think is a very strong letter.

I don't think there's much of a consensus on the 'optimal' timing of a LOI/update letter, but as long as you've sent one then you've done your job

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel you bro, I'm sitting on 6WL from 6II, I submitted a LOI to my dream school earlier in April, but I'm submitting the rest in the next couple of days. I don't think you're too late I think schools expect to hear from you in April, at least that's the sense I got from the forums and the correspondence from schools.

Just got my last interview decision - all 4 were WL. Really hoping for some movement next week!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Just got my last interview decision - all 4 were WL. Really hoping for some movement next week!
your chances with 4 WL are very good. I was on 5 and got off around a week ago. A lot of movement is on the way

Reactions: 16 users
Best of luck to all waitlisters. Have a good weekend and hopefully good news will come next week.

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Just curious what ppl think my chances are. I’m on 3 TMDSAS school WLs. I am OOS (not a Tx resident).

Second cycle, last year got 3 md II (2 wildly out of reach), 2 post-II R (duh), 1 WL which became an R. This year sitting on 1 MD II —> WL, 2 DO II —> 1 WL, 1 yet to hear back. My main question is this: what in the name of god do I do about my lease?

The MD WL is my first choice, DO WL is my second, yet to hear back is third. BUT the DO is in the current city I live in and if I don’t get in anywhere I’d probably do a post-bac here, whereas the other two are far away. MD I’ll know by mid-July, DO by August, but if I get into the third I’d want to wait to see if I got into either of the others first. I’m like playing Tetris with odds and I can’t say I care for it lmao

Second cycle, last year got 3 md II (2 wildly out of reach), 2 post-II R (duh), 1 WL which became an R. This year sitting on 1 MD II —> WL, 2 DO II —> 1 WL, 1 yet to hear back. My main question is this: what in the name of god do I do about my lease?

The MD WL is my first choice, DO WL is my second, yet to hear back is third. BUT the DO is in the current city I live in and if I don’t get in anywhere I’d probably do a post-bac here, whereas the other two are far away. MD I’ll know by mid-July, DO by August, but if I get into the third I’d want to wait to see if I got into either of the others first. I’m like playing Tetris with odds and I can’t say I care for it lmao
Same situation. My lease expired and I’m on a month to month right now until I get off the WL. It sucks bc I’m paying $400 more a month by not signing but breaking a lease *when* (speaking it into existence) I get off the WL would cost me $3k. If the stars don’t align, I’ll just sign a lease at my apt when time comes to reapply. I hope something similar can work for you

Reactions: 3 users
Same situation. My lease expired and I’m on a month to month right now until I get off the WL. It sucks bc I’m paying $400 more a month by not signing but breaking a lease *when* (speaking it into existence) I get off the WL would cost me $3k. If the stars don’t align, I’ll just sign a lease at my apt when time comes to reapply. I hope something similar can work for you
I can’t go month to month :( basically have been putting it off bc I’m sure as soon as I sign the renewal something will make me regret it (I HOPE!!!)

• Care
Does anyone know if we're still required to submit PTE if we only have 1 acceptance? I'm still hoping to get off other WLs and idk if they'll stop considering me if they see I have already planned to enroll somewhere else?

Does anyone know if we're still required to submit PTE if we only have 1 acceptance? I'm still hoping to get off other WLs and idk if they'll stop considering me if they see I have already planned to enroll somewhere else?
Submit pte which allows you to stay on WLs and check what your acceptance school’s deadline is to CTE. A school’s individual deadline takes precedence over the general AMCAS guide

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit pte which allows you to stay on WLs and check what your acceptance school’s deadline is to CTE. A school’s individual deadline takes precedence over the general AMCAS guide
Got it! Deadline is 6/1 so I will keep that in mind, thank you :) Best of luck to everyone else! This is my 2nd cycle and I was on 5 waitlists until my first acceptance so there's still lots of hope with Manifest May coming!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Traffic rules suggest to PTE ones top A and reduce WL to 3 by 4/30. So best to do your one A too. I agree it’s a bit different vs those with multiple A’s. But the traffic rules are for WL peers too to move the process along.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone! We have made it to here, hopefully we all get some good news, and everyone gets to where they want to be this fall!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
Manifesting an A for everyone in this thread. LETS GET IT.

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
Good luck everyone! This next month will be crazy and I’m hoping we all get that A!!

Reactions: 13 users
Emailed my LOI at 9 am on the dot like a crazy person. Good luck everyone, we will be hearing good news soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Best of luck everyone! THIS IS OUR TIME!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Didn't realize deadline for PTE was today. Likelihood that notifications get sent out today is lower, I'd expect more "movement" tomorrow.

Didn't realize deadline for PTE was today. Likelihood that notifications get sent out today is lower, I'd expect more "movement" tomorrow.
I think that's definitely more likely, but I did do some digging in last years threads and it looks like their 4/30 was on a Saturday and their deadline was Monday 5/2 and I saw quite a few posts about people getting calls that day so idk but maybe?

Reactions: 1 users
I think that's definitely more likely, but I did do some digging in last years threads and it looks like their 4/30 was on a Saturday and their deadline was Monday 5/2 and I saw quite a few posts about people getting calls that day so idk but maybe?
It'll happen when it happens is my mentality right now about this

Probably not today but the movement should start later in the week.

Reactions: 4 users
Some schools start the day of, but many do seem to start a day or two later.

Good luck to all!

2 II and 2 WL…manifesting some movement for all of us soon 🤞🏼

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
13 mdphd interviews -> 8 wl + 5R.. MANIFESTING

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users
WHY IS IT SO QUIET
It is kind of funny. A couple of my schools started pulling people off the waitlist on the day of the PTE deadline last year, but they're all silent today.

I've been neurotically logging into all my portals and refreshing all my schools' SDN threads all day today. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
It is kind of funny. A couple of my schools started pulling people off the waitlist on the day of the PTE deadline last year, but they're all silent today.

I've been neurotically logging into all my portals and refreshing all my schools' SDN threads all day today. 😆
I feel this on a spiritual level

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I GOT IN TO MY #1 (Of my waitlists 🤣) !!!!!!! BEST OF LUCK EVERYBODY

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 38 users
After being on the waitlist since November, I officially got my first MD A today at my top choice!! I am on cloud nine! I am manifesting even more A's for everyone on this thread. Good luck everyone!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 39 users
Sitting on the WL for a school with 40 seats and has free tuition 😭 Nobody is gonna give up their spot rip

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

Good luck everyone! If you don't get a call today, keep the faith!

Reactions: 5 users
I got off the waitlist today! It’s not over guys

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 27 users
1 WL --> 1A as of today! It does happen y'all!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 30 users
Sitting on the WL for a school with 40 seats and has free tuition 😭 Nobody is gonna give up their spot rip
Which school has free tuition? I would love to apply to them next cycle if I don't get into a medical school this time around.

Which school has free tuition? I would love to apply to them next cycle if I don't get into a medical school this time around.
UT Tyler. You have to have really strong ties to east texas to be considered.

congrats y’all!!! I’m here for the celebrations!!! Manifesting mine as well 🥳

Reactions: 7 users
You have a GREAT chance of getting in. Refer to link to view #acceptance offers off the waitlists for your schools https://students-residents.aamc.org/system/files/2023-03/MSAR_Waitlist_Procedures_03.28.23.pdf.

I love how 3 of the 4 WL I’m on, the schools only say WL size varies. This document would be really helpful if schools actually put their information on it. Like I know the WL size varies, give me an average or estimate or any real information would be great. Schools just need to be way more transparent about not only this process, but especially their WL procedures

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users