2022-2023 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4 IIs --> 4 WLs --> 4 Rs last cycle. 2 IIs --> 2 WLs this cycle. Hoping that this cycle has more positive results in the near future. For those of you going through it for the first time, never give up, already grinded to get here so might as well see it through. Grind don't stop.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Sigh... 4 WLs as well this cycle. The last 3 WLs were soul crushing. Anybody know of the chances of waitlist acceptances generally? I've tried to look at school specific waitlist procedures on amcas but I'm pretty sure they are inaccurate/out of date. This is so mentally draining :(

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed at 6 MD schools, got one R and just got my 5th waitlist today. I'm happy to have one DO acceptance this year, at least, as I'm a reapplicant. Last time I applied I also got multiple waitlists so this is just such a frustrating process. I just need to scream into the void

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a basic question regarding waitlist procedures used by schools, because I think I might have misinterpreted waitlist statistics from 2 sources.

The following AAMC document indicates that NYU-Grossman accepted only 50 students from the waitlist (during the 2022-2023 cycle?)

https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/7056/download

On the other hand, the following SDN post indicates that NYU-Grossman accepted 103 students from the waitlist (during the 2019-2020 cycle?).
i.e., my math was as follows:
Number of waitlisted applicants accepted = ( IS accept + OOS accept) - (IS enroll + OOS enroll) = (33 + 172) - (20+82) = 103

~*~*~*~ Updated Post II Acceptance Rates 2021 ~*~*~*~

Admittedly these appear to be figures from different cycles (and AAMC is likely a more authoritative source), but I was not expecting such a significant swing from year to year. Other schools also show a similar pattern.

Do most/all schools use the following procedure?
-- Initially, they only send out a number of acceptances EQUAL to their desired class size.
-- Thereafter, once "Plan to Enroll" data is available by April 30, they start accepting certain waitlisted applicants to fill vacancies.
(My math for NYU-Grossman is predicated on this assumption, which seems “safer” from a school’s perspective.)

OR

Do schools usually initially accept (a lot) more students than their desired class-size (i.e., based on their expected yield)?
(That would explain why relatively fewer students seem to be accepted off waitlists, as compared to yield data.)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
I understand procedures would vary by school but was trying to get a general idea, to the extent possible.

Hey ya'll sitting on 2 WLs for DO schools rn :/.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I have a basic question regarding waitlist procedures used by schools, because I think I might have misinterpreted waitlist statistics from 2 sources.

The following AAMC document indicates that NYU-Grossman accepted only 50 students from the waitlist (during the 2022-2023 cycle?)

On the other hand, the following SDN post indicates that NYU-Grossman accepted 103 students from the waitlist (during the 2019-2020 cycle?).
Number of waitlisted applicants accepted = ( IS accept + OOS accept) - (IS enroll + OOS enroll) = (33 + 172) - (20+82) = 103

Admittedly these appear to be figures from different cycles (and AAMC is likely a more authoritative source), but I was not expecting such a significant swing from year to year. Other schools also show a similar pattern.

-- Initially, they only send out a number of acceptances EQUAL to their desired class size.
-- Thereafter, once "Plan to Enroll" data is available by April 30, they start accepting certain waitlisted applicants to fill vacancies.
(My math for NYU-Grossman is predicated on this assumption, which seems “safer” from a school’s perspective.)

OR

Do schools usually initially accept (a lot) more students than their desired class-size (i.e., based on their expected yield)?
(That would explain why relatively fewer students seem to be accepted off waitlists, as compared to yield data.)

I understand procedures would vary by school but was trying to get a general idea, to the extent possible.
To my understanding, I don't know any school that accepts exactly equal to their class size. I'm sure most schools accept more than their class-size, even if it is slightly, such as the case with more desirable schools

Reactions: 1 user

OR

Also the AAMC doc is super inaccurate

Yes, schools calculate the number needed to fill based on historical data.
The number initially accepted will be a bit smaller in order not to over-fill.
The number of those committed to attend is depleted over time. That's when those from the waitlist are called to fill to the desired class size.

currently sitting at 2 IIs--- 1 WL and have yet to hear back from the other school... we will see. Still happy with it though because last cycle I had nothing. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Time for me to officially hop off this thread, I got my first acceptance today!!! I'm beyond ecstatic and still in disbelief honestly. God the wait was so excruciating but there are good things to come for you guys.
Congratulations!!! This is so exciting💗 Good luck with medical school so proud of you!

Reactions: 3 users
I’m a reapplicant. Last cycle I only had 1 II and was Rejected shorty after interviewing. This cycle I’ve done much better with 5 II’s. Now I’m on 1 WL and under post-interview active consideration for 3 schools(basically I’m “on hold”) and I am still waiting to hear back from one more school. This cycle has been much better however I’m still disappointed that I have interviewed as so many places and have not had any As. I’m sure many of you in this thread feel similarly and are in the same situation. At least we all have a place to commiserate. Sorry for the depressing post I’m just feeling quite dejected today.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I’m a reapplicant. Last cycle I only had 1 II and was Rejected shorty after interviewing. This cycle I’ve done much better with 5 II’s. Now I’m on 1 WL and under post-interview active consideration for 3 schools(basically I’m “on hold”) and I am still waiting to hear back from one more school. This cycle has been much better however I’m still disappointed that I have interviewed as so many places and have not had any As. I’m sure many of you in this thread feel similarly and are in the same situation. At least we all have a place to commiserate. Sorry for the depressing post I’m just feeling quite dejected today.
Hi! I feel you. I was down in the dumps yesterday:/ It sucks but the odds are in your favor:) I am hopeful that one of the 4 Wl/holds will turn into an A!!! Positive manifestation! Good luck! Don't try to stress about it too much as hard as it is not to!

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it weird to email the school on their anticipated waitlist movement? I imagine they all either plan to over-accept to anticipate those choosing a different school, or over-waitlist to have control over the finalized class size.

Is it weird to email the school on their anticipated waitlist movement? I imagine they all either plan to over-accept to anticipate those choosing a different school, or over-waitlist to have control over the finalized class size.
At this point, schools still do not know how their calculations will pan out.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, what are you doing in terms of letter of interests/update letters? I don't have any major updates and I know the experts here on SDN deem LOI's/non-major-updates as useless, but I was involved in an activity early in the year that I want to let my waitlisted schools know. It may not be a publication or conference but I thought it was important to me and the activity adds to the theme of my application as a whole. I also just want to express interest and I always figured that (showing continued interest > no interest). I have only sent these schools one letter pre-decision so I don't think I'll be spamming them.

But, I'm just so tired from this cycle. On one hand, I want to do the most I can to increase my chances at one of my waitlists (even if it is marginal). On the other hand, I'm burned out and I don't really want to put the effort into a letter if it is truly useless.

Anyway, I'm probably going to receive a "How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate?" quote from @Goro :rofl:, but any guidance is much appreciate. I wish everyone the best of luck and WL movement for all of us.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys, what are you doing in terms of letter of interests/update letters?
Right now, the only letter that might make a difference is a letter of intent.
Even so, we realize that you will not come if you get a better offer.

Right now, the only letter that might make a difference is a letter of intent.
Even so, we realize that you will not come if you get a better offer.
Thank you for the insight! I have been very hesitant about writing a letter of intent because I understand this is a problem and I do want to uphold my word. However, if I do end up sending a letter of intent, I will have done the research and self-reflection to make sure that I will 100% make that commitment. Do you have any advice on what to include in an intent letter or what I should convey so that my authenticity can reach my desired program? Thank you!

Thank you for the insight! I have been very hesitant about writing a letter of intent because I understand this is a problem and I do want to uphold my word. However, if I do end up sending a letter of intent, I will have done the research and self-reflection to make sure that I will 100% make that commitment. Do you have any advice on what to include in an intent letter or what I should convey so that my authenticity can reach my desired program? Thank you!
"You are the institution where I will become the doctor I am meant to be. If accepted, I will come."
Put that in your own words.

Reapplicant, 3 waitlists, waiting to hear from 3 post-II, reporting here for solidarity, been feeling pretty bummed since the last waitlist, wishing good luck to us all on the thread!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hey, just wanted to get some insight
Stats:
cGPA 3.55
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 501, unique ECLs, 1,000+ clinical hours, good LORs
Application was late (October-November)

I have 2 WLs right now for KCU and AT Still (AZ)

In case, I don't get off the list, I got accepted at Rosalind Franklin's BMS and Midwestern's Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences Program. Both of these programs offer guaranteed interviews for their MD and DO programs if you do well in the program, but it's not a guarantee to be accepted (the rates are around 50-60% matriculation from the program). I would most likely have to retake the MCAT to make myself competitive. (I also live in the Chicagoland area so wouldn't need to move). I'm waiting to hear back from the CHPP program at Nova southeastern. If I interview and get into their post-bacc, then I am guaranteed a seat for their DO Class the following year as long as I keep a 3.6 GPA in the program and have at least a 500 MCAT.

I'm thinking if I get into the Nova southeastern program, I should take that as a guarantee that if I do well in the program I get the seat. If I don't get in, which would be better the program at Rosalind or Midwestern? I don't have a preference for MD or DO if that helps. Thank you in advance!

Hopping on this thread ! Had 6 ii super late Jan-March, got WL at 3 schools and pending decisions from 3. I still haven't received any communication from my top choice, and I keep wishing to get a ii from there. Idk if this cycle can get any more exhausting and nerve-wracking but I'm hoping 6ii bring atleast 1 A. As they say , it's not over till the fat lady sings😂. Wishing all of us WL movement and A's, we deserve it!

• Care
  • Love
Hey, just wanted to get some insight
Stats:
cGPA 3.55
sGPA 3.2
MCAT 501, unique ECLs, 1,000+ clinical hours, good LORs
Application was late (October-November)

I have 2 WLs right now for KCU and AT Still (AZ)

In case, I don't get off the list, I got accepted at Rosalind Franklin's BMS and Midwestern's Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences Program. Both of these programs offer guaranteed interviews for their MD and DO programs if you do well in the program, but it's not a guarantee to be accepted (the rates are around 50-60% matriculation from the program). I would most likely have to retake the MCAT to make myself competitive. (I also live in the Chicagoland area so wouldn't need to move). I'm waiting to hear back from the CHPP program at Nova southeastern. If I interview and get into their post-bacc, then I am guaranteed a seat for their DO Class the following year as long as I keep a 3.6 GPA in the program and have at least a 500 MCAT.

I'm thinking if I get into the Nova southeastern program, I should take that as a guarantee that if I do well in the program I get the seat. If I don't get in, which would be better the program at Rosalind or Midwestern? I don't have a preference for MD or DO if that helps. Thank you in advance!
From what I hear KCU has a ~70% post ii rate, you may have a good chance there!! And that's good you have a backup , I should also make one but I'm in denial rn so I'm trying to wait it out a little longer

Reactions: 1 users
Hopping on this thread ! Had 6 ii super late Jan-March, got WL at 3 schools and pending decisions from 3. I still haven't received any communication from my top choice, and I keep wishing to get a ii from there. Idk if this cycle can get any more exhausting and nerve-wracking but I'm hoping 6ii bring atleast 1 A. As they say , it's not over till the fat lady sings😂. Wishing all of us WL movement and A's, we deserve it!
Honestly, you have a really good chance to get in! Did you apply late by any chance?

Honestly, you have a really good chance to get in! Did you apply late by any chance?
Yeah I retook my mcat in aug again so I finished sending primaries and secondaries in Oct-Nov, so definitely on the later side!

Yeah I retook my mcat in aug again so I finished sending primaries and secondaries in Oct-Nov, so definitely on the later side!
Same boat and my MCAT was still not what I wanted after the retake :/

5ii, 2 WL and 3 decisions pending. I'm so sad and angry

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
5ii, 2 WL and 3 decisions pending. I'm so sad and angry
With 3 IIs, you are more likely than not to get an acceptance, with 5, even better. It is healthier, and frankly more realistic, for you to manifest an A, since that is the most likely scenario!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
With 3 IIs, you are more likely than not to get an acceptance, with 5, even better. It is healthier, and frankly more realistic, for you to manifest an A, since that is the most likely scenario!
Thank you 💜 yeah I need a better mindset for sure. Hoping to hear some good news at some point

• Love
Just got my first full A of the cycle, I'm so happy!! I'm going to be a doctor, honestly 1 A is ALL IT TAKES! Hoping everyone gets into the schools they want, you guys deserve this!:love:
NOT OVER TILL IT'S OVER!

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Just got my first full A of the cycle, I'm so happy!! I'm going to be a doctor, honestly 1 A is ALL IT TAKES! Hoping everyone gets into the schools they want, you guys deserve this!:love:
NOT OVER TILL IT'S OVER!

Congrats and good luck in all you do!!

Received 7 interviews this cycle, 1 post-ii rejection, 1 acceptance, 3 waitlists and 2 delayed decisions. I'm starting to get concerned. I realize I have 1 acceptance but that school really isn't somewhere I would feel comfortable attending. I wish I could pull my acceptance so someone else could have it but I haven't received any other acceptances. Man this process is humbling. No way I could have predicted this.

• Care
What are people's thoughts on sending an additional LOR to waitlisted schools? I've read that this could potentially be a negative, but also unsure why schools would even accept LORs at this stage if they were, and I also don't want to regret anything at the end of the cycle. Any advice is appreciated!:)

I was told that at this stage of the game the only letter of value if waitlisted is a letter of intent since schools want to maximize their yield.

I was hoping to seek some advice regarding my scenario.

After I was waitlisted at a school in early March, I came to know that my co-authored article was accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed cell/molecular biology journal. (I was the 3rd co-author on this paper, which was based on the results of our experiments.) I had sent an update to the school relating to this and since I had no other proof of the article's acceptance, I had mentioned that my research mentor and co-author (a medical school professor) could confirm the acceptance, if helpful.

Now that paper has been published, would it be helpful to send another update, including a PDF and link to the article?
Or would it be viewed unfavorably (as redundant, etc.)?

If so, should I also attach a copy of a prior medical journal article, which I had also co-authored. This article was mentioned in my AMCAS primary application (but I couldn't attach a copy).

Although mere submissions dont seem to add much value to one's candidacy, in my prior update to the school, I had also mentioned that I had submitted another article (for which I am a first co-author) to another medical journal and we are working on another article (for which I am a co-author).

Thanks

Now that paper has been published, would it be helpful to send another update, including a PDF and link to the article?
If so, should I also attach a copy of a prior medical journal article, which I had also co-authored.
Send links to both of these.

Last edited:
Hi everyone Just got my 3rd waitlist today, and still waiting on one more school to get back to me (but I interviewed in march so I won't hear back from them until early may). I am so sick and tired of being patient and waiting haha. Not knowing where I'm gonna go is slowly rotting me from the inside. and for my specific schools I don't know how WL friendly they are :((((

• Care
Hi everyone Just got my 3rd waitlist today, and still waiting on one more school to get back to me (but I interviewed in march so I won't hear back from them until early may). I am so sick and tired of being patient and waiting haha. Not knowing where I'm gonna go is slowly rotting me from the inside. and for my specific schools I don't know how WL friendly they are :((((
The fact that you have had (at least) four interviews shows that you have employed a strong strategy. Hang in there.

just got my third WL too and also waiting on one more school not sure how much more faith is left in me

• Care
maybe this is psychotic but what do you guys think is the meaning of an earlier vs later WL like if they WLed someone before you is it because the adcom decided that person wasn’t an A earlier compared to you or because the adcom decided that person wasn’t an R earlier compared to you

maybe this is psychotic but what do you guys think is the meaning of an earlier vs later WL like if they WLed someone before you is it because the adcom decided that person wasn’t an A earlier compared to you or because the adcom decided that person wasn’t an R earlier compared to you
not psychotic, just neurotic, and time of being waitlisted means zero

Hey everyone, going to go ahead and check in here. 8 IIs -> 7 WLs + 1 pending decision
Rooting for all of us!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
3 TX IIs ->1 R and 2 WL. I don't know if I should be hopeful at this point, because I feel it just could leave me feeling worse than before. It sucks, my bf and I just signed a lease for a place in our hometown, and I hate the uncertainty that comes along with all of this, and knowing that if I get pulled off the WL (as wonderful as that might be), I'll have to suddenly move us both. So stressful for both of us, and I feel very guilty about it.

• Care
Id love to prepare for a reapp (4WL, one pending), but im still so emotionally and mentally burnt out. Id love to write another PS but im no longer confident if my reasons/motives/writing style is even good enough.
Im just so disappointed and sad. I never thought I'd end up in this situation.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Id love to prepare for a reapp (4WL, one pending), but im still so emotionally and mentally burnt out. Id love to write another PS but im no longer confident if my reasons/motives/writing style is even good enough.
Ugh I know the feeling omg it’s unbearable

I’m in the same boat. I’m 2 WL and 3 Pending. I am trying to find the energy to start a reapp too.

• Care
wow ive never felt more validated. same exact boat here.

• Care