2022-2023 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
like @SpartanFlash2022 said, and it’s one 30 min interview

I interviewed this morning. It was a closed file one on one interview. All they knew was my name. It was a traditional interview but very conversational. When you get an interview invite you have the option to go to the admission presentation and a Q and A session with current students. I attended them earlier this week. I highly recommend going if you have an interview soon. It was super enlightening and moved this school to my top choice. The MMI interview is currently being replaced by the Casper so they ask for your exam date. Your application after the interview won’t be reviewed until they receive your Casper scores.

Good luck to all of you who have interviews coming up and those of you still waiting.
Thank you so much for the information! That was really helpful! For the admission presentation and Q and A session- how did you dress? Are we suppose to dress business professional just like we do for the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for the information! That was really helpful! For the admission presentation and Q and A session- how did you dress? Are we suppose to dress business professional just like we do for the interview?
I think a decent number wore something closer to the business casual/professional end of the spectrum but not everyone did.

I think a decent number wore something closer to the business casual/professional end of the spectrum but not everyone did.

I’d agree with that. I wore business casual. Just a nice shirt but a lot of other people wore business professional in full suits. As long as you look decent I think whatever option you choose is fine. The current med students wore the tshirts so I don’t think it matters for the Q and A session. There were no faculty in attendance so it was a chill vibe. I scheduled both on the same day so I just wore the same thing to both

Members don't see this ad :)
"What have you done to work with others different from yourself? What have you learned from these experiences?"

Does this question only apply to actually "working" with someone (at a job, group projects, etc) or can I talk about being friends with someone who holds different values from mine?

"What have you done to work with others different from yourself? What have you learned from these experiences?"

Does this question only apply to actually "working" with someone (at a job, group projects, etc) or can I talk about being friends with someone who holds different values from mine?

I talked about moving to the United States and constantly living and working with other people since my move in my interview. My interviewer liked that answer and it’s different from the trad answer

Reactions: 1 user
well i ****ed up and forgot to release scores from aamc to aacomas - can I ask how long it took to send scores for people? thank you

Aamc transmits your scores almost immediately and schools get notified that it has been added to your application. It’s still early in the cycle so you should be fine. I don’t think that many people have interviewed

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed this morning. It was a closed file one on one interview. All they knew was my name. It was a traditional interview but very conversational. When you get an interview invite you have the option to go to the admission presentation and a Q and A session with current students. I attended them earlier this week. I highly recommend going if you have an interview soon. It was super enlightening and moved this school to my top choice. The MMI interview is currently being replaced by the Casper so they ask for your exam date. Your application after the interview won’t be reviewed until they receive your Casper scores.

Good luck to all of you who have interviews coming up and those of you still waiting.
Hello,

Can you advice what was in the admission presentation? Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the presentation before my interview next week.

Thank you!

Okay just had the interview. Just checking, for those that have done it, it is just show up, mic check, breakout room with the interviewer, and then you're done. They said I was good to go but the email said the interview is from 9am-12pm EST. Did I miss something?

Okay just had the interview. Just checking, for those that have done it, it is just show up, mic check, breakout room with the interviewer, and then you're done. They said I was good to go but the email said the interview is from 9am-12pm EST. Did I miss something?
I just left after my interview!

sometimes schools will give you the range of time slots they have that day to ensure you’ll be available!

Hi all! I got an II this week and have a few questions:

When I'm in the application portal trying to select a time and date for my interview, no interview slots seem to be showing up. I tried reloading the page and shifting between months to see if there were just no slots left in the month of September, but I still don't see any. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also I can't see any restriction on the number of days I have to choose an interview slot. Was anyone with an II told that they have to accept their II in a certain number of days?

Thanks!

Hi all! I got an II this week and have a few questions:

When I'm in the application portal trying to select a time and date for my interview, no interview slots seem to be showing up. I tried reloading the page and shifting between months to see if there were just no slots left in the month of September, but I still don't see any. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also I can't see any restriction on the number of days I have to choose an interview slot. Was anyone with an II told that they have to accept their II in a certain number of days?

Thanks!
for me, I was able to see only the days available for interviews, and not a specific time. however, on the days they showed either "AM interviews" or "PM interviews", so you generally have a sense of when your interview would be. after selecting the time, they then will email you later about the specific time. i'm not too sure about the dates not showing up tho :(

If I am currently in a gap year and LM 67.5, IS, complete 7/13...Do I call and follow up? the silence is deafening and this is my top choice... thoughts?

If I am currently in a gap year and LM 67.5, IS, complete 7/13...Do I call and follow up? the silence is deafening and this is my top choice... thoughts?

What would be the purpose of calling?

If they want to interview you, they will send an invite. It’s still pretty early in the cycle and schools have different ways of sifting through applications.

What would be the purpose of calling?

If they want to interview you, they will send an invite. It’s still pretty early in the cycle and schools have different ways of sifting through applications.
Just to follow up I guess, I have heard from about 4 other schools. Just seems weird, call to show interest. Unless I should do an update letter or something

I would honestly not, especially since it's this early in the cycle and there haven't been that many IS invites posted at all in the thread so far. I feel like every school has a different way of going through apps.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to follow up I guess, I have heard from about 4 other schools. Just seems weird, call to show interest. Unless I should do an update letter or something

I would not follow up or sent any letter so early in the cycle. If towards the end of the year you have something significant to update them on like an improved MCAT score or a first author publication, then sure, send an update letter later. A letter of continued interest is meant for after an interview or being put on the waitlist.

complete 07/21 -international, haven't heard anything yet... should I be talking this as a silent R?

complete 07/21 -international, haven't heard anything yet... should I be talking this as a silent R?

I don’t know about MSU specifically, but I’ve learned that many, if not most, medical schools do not review or respond to applications in chronological order by date of submission. I’m sure ADCOMs have their own ways of organizing and classifying applicants, and I feel like it’s probably safe to say that seeing other people who were complete after you receiving IIs before you does not automatically mean you should assume you have been rejected or do not have a chance at an II! Hang in there bud :).

does anyone know when the first interview date for MSUCOM was? I believe it was 9/8 but I am not too sure. Any insight would be really appreciated!

does anyone know when the first interview date for MSUCOM was? I believe it was 9/8 but I am not too sure. Any insight would be really appreciated!
i’m pretty sure that i got my II early and the first date available was 9/8 so i think that was the first one. i’m not sure tho only admissions would know that

Patiently waiting for an II. This is my top choice :( in state with a 503 mcat and 3.6 gpa. 4.0 masters. Lots of good ecs and good lors. Is there a reason I wouldn’t be considered?

Reactions: 2 users
Patiently waiting for an II. This is my top choice :( in state with a 503 mcat and 3.6 gpa. 4.0 masters. Lots of good ecs and good lors. Is there a reason I wouldn’t be considered?
we can never fully know what happens behind the adcom's closed doors, but you definitely seem like a strong applicant! I think sometimes schools may go out of order, so this may or may not apply to you! rooting for that II for you, good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any current students here to ask questions or that can talk about their experience with MSUCOM?

Any Canadian with II yet? I was complete mid September, that’s probably late in the game?

I’m a non-Canadian International and I interviewed earlier this month. Complete mid-late August
Oh ok. Thank you my fellow 9ja, I guess by your username. It seems they haven’t started inviting Canadians for interview yet or maybe those that have been invited are not in this forum. Fingers crossed, as this is my top DO school.

Oh ok. Thank you my fellow 9ja, I guess by your username. It seems they haven’t started inviting Canadians for interview yet or maybe those that have been invited are not in this forum. Fingers crossed, as this is my top DO school.

Uwc. I’m rooting for you. I think they’re screening in waves it seems. They first only sent II to OOS/internationals and then right now it seems like it’s going only to in state. Hopefully they get back to you within the next few weeks. Wishing you the best of luck!